shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lady Amythyst,
Im very impressed!Great to meet someone who knows their royal jewels!Whats your favorite pieces for the royal collections?The famous diamonds?...or maybe the beautiful rubies(a favorite of mine!)or the old indian pieces from india from the turn of the century.I enjoy the old indian pieces made by Cartier in the 20s and 30s.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 1:28:09 AM
Author: jewelerman
Hey Lady Amythyst,
Im very impressed!Great to meet someone who knows their royal jewels!Whats your favorite pieces for the royal collections?The famous diamonds?...or maybe the beautiful rubies(a favorite of mine!)or the old indian pieces from india from the turn of the century.I enjoy the old indian pieces made by Cartier in the 20s and 30s.
Tough to pick favorites! But I''ll try...

My favorite tiara is the Cambridge Lover''s Knot Tiara. I just think it is so romantic and girly looking and suited Diana at that young blushing bride phase so well.

Diana''s sapphire engagement ring and her massive oval sapphire that she wore in the pearl choker are other favs. Mainly because I am a sapphire freak.
1.gif

I also really like the Cambridge Emeralds and especially the Delhi Durbar Emerald Necklace which the Queen wears frequently. The history behind the Cambridge Emeralds is fascinating. The emerald tiara and Queen Mary''s choker which Diana wore are also gorgeous.

The Queen also has a three strand diamond necklace - huge round stones. She wore it recently. I don''t know much about it - I''ll have to hit the books again! - but it really caught my eye!

I have other favorites amongst the European Royals but I think the British Royals'' jewelry is more well known.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has a stunning ruby parure. Mette-Marit of Norway has a very pretty pearl and diamond bandau type tiara which suits her more modest style very well. I like that piece although it has no real historical value as it was purchased for her rather than coming from the royal collection.

I''m really happy to see Camilla turning up in all of these jewels that haven''t been seen very often. The death of the Queen Mother has put a virtual flood of jewels back into the spotlight. It''s cool to see them all again.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the interesting post!The cambridge emeralds are very facinating. The Bulgari emeralds in Elizabeth Taylors collection are considered to be part of the famous Grand Dutchess Vladimir emerald collection.One of my favorite pieces that Princess Di wore was the emerald choker worn bandau style...the sapphire choker is beautiful and the sapphire is much better on a choker than as a pin (its original form)Di''s ring is beautiful but i am drawn to the intense red of fergy''s ruby eng.ring.Thanks for the entertaining posts...please send more. jewelerman

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2007 11:46:15 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 11/6/2007 11:21:45 PM
Author: diamondfan
I have said it before, but it bears repeating...I SO want a tiara!!!!
I want one too.. we could wear them together..
9.gif

And I want suits.. and dresses.. and hats to match all.. Oh I don''t want much, right?
12.gif
in a toddlers voice....i want one too!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2007 12:02:35 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69

I''m gathering together a bunch of related pictures about the Girls of GB and Ireland Tiara so stay tuned!!

No need to worry! I am permanently tuned to this channel. Like so many other Pricescope members, I love this thread. I eagerly await more photographs of the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara and/or its history! I would also love to see rubies.

Deborah
34.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE this thread! I just received my copy of "with this ring" a fun book about jewels mentioned in another thread, and there were some pictures and info in there about the erings and jewels of Queen Elizabeth, Wallis Simpson, and Grace Kelly...I really wish I had a scanner! Wallis had an AMAZING sapphire (I think) bracelet...any chance you have a pic ladyamy or jewelerman? Grace Kelly''s TWO erings from Prince Ranier were nothing to sneeze at either! I would recommend that book to you lovers of this thread, its not long or in depth, but it had engagement pictures and dates, stories, jeweler info, etc. which I found interesting. I bought mine off Amazon for $6.50 shipped! Thanks LadyAmy for all your fabulous info!!!!!
36.gif
35.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i also enjoy books on the history of wedding jewery.The cartier emerald ring that wallis simpson recieved was nothing short of perfect...(10,000 back in the 1930s).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this has been posted yet. I just saw it on TMZ.com today...Apparently the crown jewels are worth upwards of 750 million and contain 14 tiaras, 98 brooches, and 5 pendants. HER net worth? 10 Billion dollars

1107_queen_elizabeth_wi.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/7/2007 1:12:17 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Not sure if this has been posted yet. I just saw it on TMZ.com today...Apparently the crown jewels are worth upwards of 750 million and contain 14 tiaras, 98 brooches, and 5 pendants. HER net worth? 10 Billion dollars
750 mil. Dollars or Pounds?

I wonder what value was put on the Koh-i-noor.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/7/2007 2:03:31 PM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 11/7/2007 1:12:17 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
750 mil. Dollars or Pounds?

I wonder what value was put on the Koh-i-noor.

The stone is set in the at the front of the crown made for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

This is the Koh-I-Noor Diamond: http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/koh-i-noordiamond.html

koh-i-noordiamond.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The State Opening of Parliament in England this November.

The Queen arrives wearing the King George IV State Diadem.

From the RF''s Official Website:

"The most frequently worn part of the Crown Regalia is the King George IV State Diadem. It is completely circular and decorated with symbolic roses, shamrock and thistle. Originally made for King George IV in 1821 for his coronation, but he never wore it. During the Hanoverian period, gems were hired out for the crowns and then stripped bare leaving skeletal frames between each coronation. In1838 the diadem was reset with jewels from the royal collection and Queen Victoria wore it at her coronation. However, with the beginning of this reign the jewels were soldered in, symbolic of the new solidity and prosperity Queen Victoria would come to represent. She wore the diadem constantly for family events, state banquets, formal portraits, and she is pictured wearing it in the first postage stamp issued in 1840. In her will she left it to the Crown. The diadem was a particular favourite of Queen Alexandra."

queenstateopeningparliament2007d.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though I''d probably never contribute to this thread, I''d like to thank everyone here again for adding the history and pictures of RJs. It never fails to capture my attention everday.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The King George IV State Diadem is the one the Queen is pictured wearing on banknotes (paper money) in England.

queenmoney.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The King George IV State Diadem is also the one pictured on the official stamps of England.

queenstamp.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
A closeup of the Queen in the carriage on the way to the State Opening of Parliament.

The necklace she is wearing was given to her by her father George VI.

queenstateopeningparliament2007.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
A close up of the King George IV State Diadem (also confusingly just known as the Diamond Diadem).

From The Royal Collection:

"The Diamond Diadem, 1820

Diamonds, pearls, silver, gold

Diameter 19 cm; 7.5 cm high

Made for George IV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From its frequent appearance on postage stamps and coins, this exceptionally beautiful head ornament, incorporating the national emblems of England, Scotland and Ireland, is probably the most familiar piece of Her Majesty The Queen''s jewellery. Set with 1,333 diamonds, including a four-carat pale yellow brilliant in the centre of the front cross, the diadem has been regularly worn (and slightly modified) by queens regnant and consort from Queen Adelaide onwards. This feminine association belies its origin, since it was made for George IV''s use at his famously extravagant coronation in 1821. On that occasion, he wore it over a large velvet ''Spanish'' hat at the ceremonies in Westminster Hall and during the walking procession to Westminster Abbey.

The order for the diadem was placed with Rundells in 1820 and work was complete by May of that year. The design, probably by Rundells'' chief designer Philip Liebart, reflects something of the discarded plan for George IV''s Imperial State Crown, which was drawn up by Liebart in the same period and was to have included the national emblems in place of the traditional fleurs-de-lis.

Together with a diamond-studded loop (which was broken up to help make Queen Victoria''s Garter armlet) the bill for the diadem amounted to the large sum of £8,216. This included an £800 hire charge for the diamonds - stones were regularly hired for use at coronations up to 1837 - computed on a percentage of the value of the stones. When the coronation had to be postponed for a year on account of Queen Caroline''s trial, a further hire charge was levied. Normally the stones would have been returned to Rundells after the coronation, but in this case there is no sign that the delicately worked diamond sprays and crosses, a masterpiece of the new transparent style of setting, have been disturbed. Equally, there is no evidence that the King purchased the stones outright, so it could be that the bill was met by a discreet barter of old stones from George IV''s extensive collection.

Today the diadem is worn by Her Majesty The Queen when travelling to and from the State Opening of Parliament."

thediamonddiadem1820.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Queen Mary wearing the same three strand diamond necklace that the Queen wore this year.

queenmaryinkinggeorgeivstatediadem.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Queen attending her very first State Opening of Parliament as the sovereign in 1952.

queens1ststateopeningparliament1952.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Back to 2007 - a great close up of the Queen''s earrings.

queenstateopeningparliament2007a.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Queen exits the carriage attended by Prince Philip.

queenstateopeningparliament2007g..jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Trying that photo again...

queenstateopeningparliament2007g.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Imperial State Crown travels to Parliament ahead of the Queen.

From LondonOnline:

"The Imperial State Crown was originally made for Queen Victoria in 1838. Many of the gems in this beautiful crown are of very ancient origin, whilst others count their age by centuries or even by decades. The weight of the crown is 39 oz. It consists of a circlet of open-work in silver, bearing in the front the second largest portion of the Star of Africa (the Cullinan diamond), and on the reverse side the great sapphire from the crown of Charles II. The remainder of the rim is filled in with rich jewel clusters, having alternately sapphires and emeralds in their centres, enclosed in ornamental borders thickly set with diamonds.

The crosses patée are set with brilliants and have each an emerald in the centre, except that which is in the front of the crown. This contains the Black Prince''s ruby, the most remarkable jewel belonging to the Regalia. From each of the crosses patée, the upper corners of which have each a large pearl upon them, rises an arch of silver worked into a design of oak-leaves and acorns closely encrusted with diamonds.

From the four points of intersection of the arches at the top of the crown depend large egg-shaped pearls, which, according to the Tower traditions, were once the earrings of Queen Elizabeth I. The mound is ornamented with brilliant diamonds, and the fillet which encircles it, and the arch which crosses over it, are both ornamented with one line of large rose-cut diamonds. The cross patée at the top has in the centre a large sapphire of magnificent colour which is said to have come out of the ring of Edward the Confessor.

Not counting the Black Prince''s ruby, or the Stuart and Edward the Confessor sapphires, the Imperial State Crown contains four rubies, eleven emeralds, sixteen sapphires, two hundred and seventy seven pearls, and two thousand seven hundred and eighty-three diamonds."

View attachment imperialstatecrown.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Imperial State Crown at Parliament.

The crown weighs 2lbs 13 oz. It is set with 2,873 diamonds, 273 pearls, seventeen sapphires, eleven emeralds and five rubies. The Crown also features the 317.4 Cullinan II diamond and the ‘Black Prince’s ruby’ which is really a large spinel.

queenstateopeningparliament2007f.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
After arriving at Parliamnet the Queen dons the robes of state and swaps the King George IV State Diamdem for the Imperial State Crown.

Here the Queen enters Parliament with Prince Philip.

queenstateopeningparliament2007c.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
A gorgeous shot of the Queen wearing the Imperial state Crown - check out the Cullinan & the Black Prince''s Ruby. WOW!

queenstateopeningparliament2007h..jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Arrrggghh! Trying again....

queenstateopeningparliament2007z.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Queen reads the speech to her government.

queenstateopeningparliament2007x.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Close up of the Queen speaking to Parliament.

queenstateopeningparliament2007b..jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Man these pictures are giving me trouble today!!!

Trying again....

queenstateopeningparliament2007b.jpg

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/7/2007 12:23:21 AM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
Going back to the Duchess of Cornwall''s ''mysterious'' garnet/citrine brooch....I found this photo of Camilla riding in a carriage with Prince William. I think she is wearing that same brooch. What do you guys think? The same?
I know I''m stating the obvious, but Prince William is terribly handsome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results