shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Asscher Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

He_is_Wonderful

Rough_Rock

I am new here. I have been reading this forum for the last few weeks and have finally gotten up the nerve to ask a question without sounding silly. Well, it still may sound silly. My bf and I found a royal asscher for 5785. We just wanted to know if this was a good buy or not.

Here is the sarin report

Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Weight: .88ct
Flourescence: faint
L/w ratio: 1.00
MEasurements 5.36mm x 5.36mm
Crown angle: 30.3
Crown height: 13.1% (0.7mm)
Pavil Depth: 45.9% (2.46mm)
Cutlet: 1.2% (.06mm)
Table size: 56% (3.00mm)
Total Depth: 68% (3.64mm)
Girdle Thick: 3.4% (0.18mm)
I did not get a pavil angle in the sarin report is that bad?
Help us, please. Thanks.

Sky

He_is_Wonderful

Rough_Rock
Also I have a Brillancescope report and GIA. Is the brillancescope valuable? How do you read it?

Thanks!

Sky

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price seems typical of an RA which is normaly on the high side.
Asschers have to be seen.
Do you have pictures or have you seen it yourself?
What are the b-scope scores?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a pic you can post???? I would love to see it. Storm is right you have to see these stones, can''t go by the numbers.

He_is_Wonderful

Rough_Rock
Here it is hopefully the file attached. I don''t know how to do anything else. Sorry

THanks
Sky

royalasscherhelp.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
looks like a really pretty asscher to me! but you have seen it with your eyes (I think?) and that is the important thing! When I get THE upgrade, it may very well be a royal asscher.. droooool
30.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a nice RA and the price seems inline with what they go for.
$1500 or so more than a standard generic asscher.
If its what you want I dont see a reason to pass on it.

He_is_Wonderful

Rough_Rock
Thanks!!!!!! This forum rocks! (and its posters)

Thanks again
Sky

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
1) cute doggy!!!

2) That asscher looks gorgeous--if you''re set on a RA and have seen it w/ your eyes, then it''s worth the premium IMO. YUM!

RA1973

Rough_Rock
I saw this RA too, from Diamond Brokers of Florida www.dbof.com as I too am shopping for an authentic Royal Asscher. I haven''t seen this stone in person, but from what I have seen (not much available to see here in the States) this is one of the best looking stones that is out there and available. Remember that this is a Royal Asscher, so you know it is cut "perfectly" by the crews in Amsterdam and NYC. I for one am not dead set on seeing a true Royal Asscher before buying because everyone I''ve seen is perfect (all of the measurements). Just keep in mind that any authentic Royal Asscher has to meet and be cut to the Asscher''s requirements. Take a look at the millions of asscher-cut diamond on the internet and you "should" be able to immediately notice the differences in the two diamonds. I wouldn''t need to see a brand new Mercedes-Benz before buying because of the requirements in build put into the car by Mercedes. But if I was going to buy a Merzedez-Benzish, I would have to see it to believe it comes close to being as good as the real deal.

I am headed up the NYC in a few weeks to visit the only U.S. distributor of Royal Asschers, and in February I will be revisiting Amsterdam and the surrounding areas. I am betting that all Royal Asschers by Asscher will be the real deal.

Lastly, I have seen a couple of bigger Royal Asschers (supposively you need 1.5 carats or more to get the optimal look as 1c and smaller look to busy), which are astounding, but there is something about the stone you pictured that stands out to me. I think it all comes to that all so important table size, 55. You need a small table, IMHO, to create that deeeep look, any bigger of a table and you start getting closer to the asscher-cut diamonds that, again IMHO, look terrible!

Let me know how your search goes, as I am looking around too!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh sky, that asscher is just awesome, I looove it.
30.gif
30.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Its stunning! And that shot is sooo.....
30.gif

RA1973

Rough_Rock

Here is a picture of a larger Royal Asschers that is available at the same link I provided above.

One look at the real thing, and how could anyone even consider an "asscher-cut" diamond??? One word, tastelessness.
28.gif

Sorry, I had to say it. I''ve seen too many people settle for an "asscher-cut" because of saving a dollar or not having the extra dollars for the real diamond.
I truly think if you can''t afford the real deal, don''t try to convince yourself that an "asscher-cut" is even close to it.
It is like buying a Ford, and putting on a Mercedes Benz body and saying look at my "Asscher"! Eeeeek! Tacky!
One peek under the hood and the untrained eye will say "but that''s a Ford!".

174VS1HRoyalAsscher.jpg

RA1973

Rough_Rock
Bling, bling, bling!

3.42c Royal Asscher

342VV2GRoyalAsscher.JPG

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
That's such a beautiful Royal Asscher. Wow, I got my round diamond ring because I had a really bad generic Asscher experience. Looking back I wish I saw that website with that Royal Asscher because I would have purchased it in a heartbeat. When I was looking in downtown Chicago, they had one jewelry store selling Royal Asschers. They were all over $10,000 and the clarity, if I remember correctly, were not so great. They were maybe in the SI1 or SI2 range which I heard that you don't want since in that special type of cut one can see the possible imperfections. And the saleslady kept saying that the Royal Asscher House doesn't or rarely cuts diamonds under one carat so I wouldn't find another Royal Asscher either under 1 carat or under $10,000. I guess she was wrong. If I weren't looking to purchase my first home then I would love to purchase a similar or less expensive Royal Asscher and make it a pendant. Well, it's a beauty, and I hope that it's what you are looking for. Please post pictures of it if you decide to buy it and make it your ring or pendant. Good Luck.
36.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2005 7:26:40 PM
Author: fmilasi

Here is a picture of a larger Royal Asschers that is available at the same link I provided above.

One look at the real thing, and how could anyone even consider an ''asscher-cut'' diamond??? One word, tastelessness.
28.gif

Sorry, I had to say it. I''ve seen too many people settle for an ''asscher-cut'' because of saving a dollar or not having the extra dollars for the real diamond.

I truly think if you can''t afford the real deal, don''t try to convince yourself that an ''asscher-cut'' is even close to it.

It is like buying a Ford, and putting on a Mercedes Benz body and saying look at my ''Asscher''! Eeeeek! Tacky!

One peek under the hood and the untrained eye will say ''but that''s a Ford!''.

"Tastelessness!?!" ROTFLMAO.
Your post speaks volumes.

20.gif

Sky- that stone looks lovely. If you''ve seen it and you love it, why not?
1.gif
Please come back with pics once it is mounted.

TOAsscher

Rough_Rock
I''ve seen a few Royal Asschers in person... this one does look really good for its size in the picture. Most of the time anything less than 1.5 carats didn''t even look like the asscher style because there are so many more facets, you lose that mile deep look. Especially under the lights in the store. The bigger ones were awesome.

But, I have to come to the defence of a generic cut asscher. To say they pale in comparison to the real thing is nonsense. They aren''t trying to mimic the RA. The original asscher patent and cut was good enough for seventy-five years and since the patent wore off, all the square emerald cut stones that are cut really well, are better than the original genuine asschers. (Cutting technology is better now). Not to say anything less about the RA, but it was created so a new patent could be made. (GIA calls it cut cornered square step cut.) Either way, it''s a new cut, and saying any of the older cuts are a cheap imitation is just plain silly. I agree, you have to make sure you get a quality stone (something that the asscher brand stones guarantees), but that doesn''t mean you can''t find them.

If a company created a new cut that looked like a round brilliant and patented it, would that make any current rounds tasteless???

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course the pictures look great ! And there is nothing less than great about these Royals
1.gif

Now....

some may argue that the extra facets do not add much to the presence of stones less than 3 cts or so. It may be right or wrong for you, but this is one opinion I keep hearing and might give a thought.

Comparing stones in person would settle this, but that is not much I can do to help with that. A quick serach for square step cuts (say, depth up to the 68% of the current choice, table up to the 56% of the current choice) turns out three results around 1 ct E-VS1/2. For D-F color VS1-VS2 there are more.

Some of these may turn out to look rather different than your RA in some detail, but I doubt there is none to be found nearly as brilliant or attractive. If the deep cut corners of the RAs are something you find appealing, then looking for small tabes also provides this sort of nearly octagonal shape.

Just a thought. But if you end up with the RA in the picture, there will surely be something special about it!
1.gif
There isn't much of a difference in size between that wonder and a step cut with the usual number of facets and similar (cherry) proportions (from your 5.3 to about 5.7 on average, aparently).

PS.
There is a puzzling stone on the list - slightly rectangular D-VS1 at $6k whose sparse details (link) make me believe this could really look like one of those old stones. Of course, I can't tell for sure and you would need to talk with someone who holds the stone to find that out.

PSS.
I wish there were more asschers (cuts) with pictures and full stats online... but... Oh well. The 'Signature collection' asschers cuts at Blue Nile has GCAL lab reports for the stones on top of the usual GIA. These lab reports come complete with proportions and some pictures. The pictures look rather usual - straight top up or top down only and reflecting something dark upclose, but at least they show the shape of the thing.

These stones seem to be priced close to the RA
23.gif
, but there might be more choices to look at. At least they give some idea of what the details of generic square emerald cuts could be like among the better stones. For the same cost... RA winns, I would think
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
While the RA''s for the most part are very nice.
They do look busy to me in the smaller sizes Id much rather have a S.E.
than a RA in anything under a couple ct.
The problem is that hardly anyone is cutting good S.E.s and most of the ones on the market bark.
But in my opinion a well cut S.E. blows away a RA in anything up to around 2cts and from there its a stone by stone decision with a tie likely at times.

Finding them is the hardest part with both RA''s and well cut S.E.''s.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The glamorous pictures of the RA are rather difficult to match with 'theory' so....

This one belongs to one .91 cts F VVS (this one)

pic1.jpg

That one has a larger table (62%) and smaller corners... but as the table gets smaller the outline gets more octagonal too, even among square step cuts.

The one to the left has at least the table & depth (since that is all I have aside the pics) like yours', and the one to the right has 70% deoth and 54% table. I don't think these two numbers are enough to determine every slight detail in a 10X picture, but... there isn't much available else to talk about online, unfortunately.

60020.jpg
60017.jpg

Since the chance to locate another seller taking pictures in the same conditions as DBOF are slim, there isn't much I can do about side by side comparisons either. Unless one works out relevant models for all these stones, there might be no way to do just that so far.

TOAsscher

Rough_Rock
I think an asscher is one stone you can''t buy off the Internet. You have to see it in person. The one thing I did to each stone was move it slightly back and forth so you an see the scintillation. That''s what I found so unique about the asscher cut. Unfortunately, there just aren''t a lot out there. I do think Daniel K has the largest selections of asschers. I think, like strmrdr said, you can go through dozens before you find the perfect one... But the process is kind of fun... ;-)

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
I have an R.A. that''s 2.63, it was $27,000 for the stone not including the setting.

We looked long and hard, and there was not another one available in the country between 2.50 - 3.0 carats -- that said, when you find one that you like, you better snatch it up because they are tough to come by!!

the only other $.02 i have is that i saw some generic asschers in person, and a royal asscher in person, and you can''t compare. We talked about it before we got one and said, OK, if we can''t really tell the difference b/t a generic and a R.A., we won''t spend the premium, we''ll go with the generic. Then when we saw it, our jaws dropped and there was no going back! Go see it in person, or have it shipped, and you''ll know for sure!

good luck!!

RA1973

Rough_Rock
Sorry MrsFrk, but I am here to learn a little more about diamonds and to speak my opinion, not to be judged by a stranger (which speaks volumes about you too, dear).

A Royal Asscher is a patent cut, meaning an asscher-cut diamond is a completely different cut. There is really no comparison other than that an asscher-cut is an imitation, and some may say worse, fakes. It''d be different if they were cut the same by two different companies, but one company put out a patent cut, the Royal Asscher, and the diamond industry decided to imitate the cut and try to make something like it, and to try to steal market sales, but they can''t because they can''t do the same cuts and measurements as a Royal Asscher or they would be sued badly, real badly.

That to me is tastelessness. And to buy an asscher-cut to try to get close to the real thing??? That is tastelessness too.

If we were talking about chocolates, and not diamonds which are thousands and sometimes thousand and thousands of dollars I would be much more forgiving in my opinion and choice of words. So what if a chocoloate imitator is selling a candy bar just like the top brand, you eat it and is gone. But a diamond or an engagement ring? Come on. Why not just buy a fake diamond too to go with it.

Take a look at a GIA of a Royal Asscher and one of an asscher-cut, notice the completely different cut. We are talking apples and oranges here.

I''m such a bad person, I feel terrible about myself,
31.gif

FM

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ummmm.

FYI, the antique asscher cut pre-dates the Royal Asscher. So the original "asscher-cuts" from the early 20th century are not the same as the branded R.A. Patented by the same family years later, but neither the asccher-"style" square emeralds NOR the Royal asscher are what the original asscher was.

I''m glad that beauty and taste are subjective.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
The smiley slapping his forehead in exasperation would be appropriate here.

callista

Rough_Rock
FM,

Everyone has their own opinions, and they are entitled to it. Just as you say generic asschers are tastless, MrsFrk is entitled to express her opinions of her disagreement to your opinion. You are posting your opinions on a fornum, so naturally expect people to express their opinions as well. If you read up on all the forums and postings here, you''ll see a clash of opions from memebers is not uncommon. Take Mrsfrk''s opinion however you may wish...their is no need to get testy, is there?

I personally don''t agree with your opinions of generic asschers, but that''s okay, because that is how I feel, not how you feel. I don''t expect you to change your mind, nor do I expect you to change my mind or anyone elses''.

I would not consider a non branded asscher cut diamond a fake copy of an a Royal Asscher, but rather, a different, CUT and STYLE stone on it''s own.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
FM,
We get the fact you love RA''s, but no need to be insulting for those that prefer generics or SE''s or others.

TOAsscher

Rough_Rock
I actually think Asscher created the RA to make it more brilliant, more sparkle, since round brilliant have become so popular. Everyone loves the mega-sparkle - the bling. I think that''s why they cut it as such, and of course, being able to patent it means a lot too.

But, there''s no way you can say the original asscher cut is an imitation or a fake. That''s just plain ridiculous. If this was 10 years ago, before the new RA came out, what would square emerald cuts be??? Imitations of the original asscher? They''re the same thing! Cut even better actually, considering the technology. I find it very odd to think something that has been around for over 100 years and was the inspiration for the RA can now suddenly be a fake.

But, as almost everyone has said --- you MUST see these diamonds in person. Even a Royal Asscher, especially if it''s less than 2 carats. I''m sure it will be beautiful, but it might not be quite what you saw in the pictures...

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
fmilasi,

you might want to look around the forum before saying things like that if you ever hope for any help in the future from the very knowledgeable to the enthusiasts around here. A lot of us have SEs and while your opinion is your opinion, sometimes it''s not the appropriate place to voice it, considering it is insulting. Maybe it was the wording... enough said.

dimples_323

Rough_Rock
I''ve been "lurking" around this forum for awhile, and I''m impressed with the people here who are willing and able to answer questions and give opinions in a neutral and helpful way. I''m glad to see that people like fmilasi are not in the majority here. You guys are great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results