shape
carat
color
clarity

Round or Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocky_road

Rough_Rock
sorry to hijack the thread Angel7!

Sharon101, the description of your rounded edge bezel for a princess stone is exactly what I have been searching for on the internet! I love the bezel and the princess, however, all the settings I have seen have very sharp corners and that''s just not what I pictured in my head. Would you happen to have a picture of your ring or a similar setting online? I would appreciate it immensely! Thanks.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 1:08:13 PM
Author: Jenn5504
Angel7, I understand that it''s a tough decision! My original ering was a 1.52ct princess. Purchased in ''02 (so during the Princess BOOM). Well, the ''bull in a china cabinet'' that I am, it ended up with a hefty chip out of the girdle last year. Thankfully insurance covered replacing the stone and I headed straight for RB''s. I life in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and can only speak from my own observations, but EvErYoNe seemed to have recently received or be getting a princess cut. One of my long time friends who is older and has been married almost 10 years has a gorgeous (albeit smaller, .75ct) pear and my best friend who is my age has a RB that she received in ''99. I always oooohed and ahhhed over their diamond shapes because to me they just seemd more classic. SO. I ended up replacing my princess with a 1.59ct AGS000 RB. I love it. I do. But I often remember my princess and miss it. It was a poorly cut stone mind you, and now I have a KILLER cut RB but I do miss the princess.......I go back and forth. NONE of my friends have this diamond passion or obsession like I do. They wouldn''t know a dog from an ideal cut if it hit most of them in the face. So, I''ve had a couple of comments of ''oh, I liked your old rings!''. I feel like I''m in jr. high when I let those comments start to sway my feelings towards my current rings. For me it came down to wanting CLASSIC over what I am not sure is or isn''t a more trendy and passing shape. And I wanted the biggest look I could muster. Then I wanted peace of mind that I knew by the #''s that it was a great cut stone and that''s much easier to determine with RB''s. Another reason I went with RB was because my princess broke......it has an extrememly thin to medium girgle EGL grade.....
40.gif
So there was certainly potential for damage there, plus it was set pretty high up. Our insurance agent happenes to be a long time family friend of my husbands and was so sweet about helping me when it broke but she did kinda suggest I go smaller maybe (ha, NO!) but more protected or lower set. Hence my 6 prong WF classic tiffany setting. I have not WACKED this stone into anything that I can recall---and I was smacking that princess constantly by accident due to it being set pretty high. Ok, there''s my long boring 2 cents on the subject. I knew that I knew I wanted a princess the first time around, and the 2nd I thought I knew that I knew I wanted RB.......now I sit and think about a HUGE pear one day! :)
3.gif
Jenn - I''m sorry sorry your princess broke! The setting I''m looking at seems to be on the "higher"/cathedral type of setting and I am worried that what you discussed may be an issue. I am a kllutz, not graceful and am always falling..running into things..basically injuring myself constantly! So i think my concerns are justified. I can relate to your friends not knowing ideal from frozen spit..my friends are the same. A good friend recently got a princess, maybe that''s why I''m swaying from one? Don''t want to be similar?
RB''s being so much easier to "grade" is such a pro for me...it''s really on the top of my list. With Princess cuts I feel like it''s such a guessing game!
Smaller? Heck no!
3.gif
I agree. See, your tastes have changed and I know mine will..they always do! So difficult. Thanks so much for sharing Jenn and good luck on that HUGE pear! Maybe I''ll just give up and tell bf "I''m done, please choose!" No, I couldn''t do that, I''m too much of a control freak!
27.gif

Sacha - Here is my mini update. I didn''t go to a B&M jeweler. So I got to Target on my lunch and "try on" the fake rings they have. So they had a nice solitare princess and nice solitare round..same sizes and I couldn''t choose! They were both pretty. Maybe when it''s an actual diamond and one is sparkling more than the other..that''ll help my choice. Ohh the headache is back. Ok, I''m just going to stop and wait until Saturday. The jeweler should have no problem taking the stones outside so I can see them in natural lighting right? That''s important I think!
Oy...decisions decisions..

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 1:55:42 PM
Author: Angel7

Sacha - Here is my mini update. I didn''t go to a B&M jeweler. So I got to Target on my lunch and ''try on'' the fake rings they have. So they had a nice solitare princess and nice solitare round..same sizes and I couldn''t choose! They were both pretty. Maybe when it''s an actual diamond and one is sparkling more than the other..that''ll help my choice. Ohh the headache is back. Ok, I''m just going to stop and wait until Saturday. The jeweler should have no problem taking the stones outside so I can see them in natural lighting right? That''s important I think!
Oy...decisions decisions..
Thanks for the mini update ... Well that didn''t work, did it!
4.gif
Maybe waiting will be good ... not for me as I can''t wait to see what you decide but definitely good for you.
Absolutely take them outside if you can. It''s amazing how different they can look inside vs outside. PS ... sounds like you found a decent jeweler given that they would "like" you to do this.

Hey - Any word on whether or not they will be able to have their Simon G rep send in a "sample" ring for you to try on for Saturday yet?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the round. I used to have an asscher and traded up for a round, and am so much happier. The square cuts (asscher & princess) face up much smaller than rounds. I also think they are not as sparkly as rounds. I only wore a square cut for a year before I started getting bored with it - I think that because the rounds are so classic I''ll never feel this ring is "out of style." Plus, there are so many more setting options.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:20:43 PM
Author: vespergirl
I would go with the round. I used to have an asscher and traded up for a round, and am so much happier. The square cuts (asscher & princess) face up much smaller than rounds. I also think they are not as sparkly as rounds. I only wore a square cut for a year before I started getting bored with it - I think that because the rounds are so classic I''ll never feel this ring is ''out of style.'' Plus, there are so many more setting options.
Thanks Vespergirl! I don''t want to get bored with it..thanks for sure. I''ll all about size and sparkle with me so we''ll see who wins out I guess. Glad you are happy with your stone now!
36.gif

Sacha - I called and she''s not in until Wednesday so I''ll ask her tomorrow! Thanks! I guess we''ll just have to wait until Saturday! Sorry I can'' stand waiting either!
39.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:25:50 PM
Sacha - I called and she''s not in until Wednesday so I''ll ask her tomorrow! Thanks! I guess we''ll just have to wait until Saturday! Sorry I can'' stand waiting either!
39.gif
That should be great! You know what''s good ... in the meantime, you are still getting tons of good info that hopefully should be able to assist you with making your decision.

I emailed my jeweler for you to see if she was able to get a quote even though we don''t have a style# to provide her with ... don''t know if she''s in today but if she comes back with something, I will let you know what their pricing is like ...

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:38:32 PM
Author: Sparkalicious

Date: 1/22/2008 2:25:50 PM
39.gif
That should be great! You know what''s good ... in the meantime, you are still getting tons of good info that hopefully should be able to assist you with making your decision.

I emailed my jeweler for you to see if she was able to get a quote even though we don''t have a style# to provide her with ... don''t know if she''s in today but if she comes back with something, I will let you know what their pricing is like ...
Thank you so much! You are so sweet! I emailed them yesterday but haven''t heard back yet. Yup, in the mean time I am getting plenty good info. Thanks again, you are great!
36.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Angel,

I hope this isn''t too controversial to say, but IMO PS members as a whole tend to have a bias towards the round brilliant. There are many valid reasons for this-- the geometry of a RB has been broken down more successfully to result in better light return, for a site where "cut is king" the shapes for which the numbers have been pegged down better has an inherent advantage, the amazing photo-taking skills of Mara are always trained on her RBs and show what is possible, lol-- but don''t let that bias unduly sway you.

Some people are RB types, others are fancies. I love both, but I am a fancy-cut girl for main stones and RB for melee. One thing I haven''t seen mentioned here, Angel: have you taken a look at the OTHER square-shaped cuts other than princess? Have you taken a look at with Flanders cut (droooooool) or Jubilee cut stones? Asschers? If you haven''t, take a look at the options on www.goodoldgold.com . There are so many wonderful options out there in the square-shaped fancy category, so don''t limit yourself to just a "round versus princess" debate!

Hope this helps!

f-d-l

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:45:56 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Hi Angel,

I hope this isn''t too controversial to say, but IMO PS members as a whole tend to have a bias towards the round brilliant. There are many valid reasons for this-- the geometry of a RB has been broken down more successfully to result in better light return, for a site where ''cut is king'' the shapes for which the numbers have been pegged down better has an inherent advantage, the amazing photo-taking skills of Mara are always trained on her RBs and show what is possible, lol-- but don''t let that bias unduly sway you.

Some people are RB types, others are fancies. I love both, but I am a fancy-cut girl for main stones and RB for melee. One thing I haven''t seen mentioned here, Angel: have you taken a look at the OTHER square-shaped cuts other than princess? Have you taken a look at with Flanders cut (droooooool) or Jubilee cut stones? Asschers? If you haven''t, take a look at the options on www.goodoldgold.com . There are so many wonderful options out there in the square-shaped fancy category, so don''t limit yourself to just a ''round versus princess'' debate!

Hope this helps!

f-d-l
Thanks for your honesty fdl, I understand what you are saying about RB being the preferred cut on PS but I do think it has some advantages that other stones may not have. I have looked at jubilee and Square H&A, the only problem is..I can''t see this in person. I''m not comfortable buying site unseen. Unfortunatley, I know no stores that carry these and dont even think you can find S H&A in stores..

Thanks for the input
!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 9:27:01 PM
Ringabling - Your stone is beautiful. See that''s what I''m afraid of. I like the princess now but down the line I''m afraid I won''t. But hey, then I get to have a beautiful upgrade like you!
31.gif
Tastes always change I guess...especially mine!

MrsSalvo - I like you am a size gal. That''s what''s leaning me towards the round.

Spark - What do I like about rounds?
-They look bigger and face up whiter

What do I like about Princess?
-The square shape and I think I like their ''sparkle'' more
But, I''m scared Princess is a fad and I''ll grow tired of it more quicky then I would a traditional or always elegant round.

It''s such a stupid thread I know but I''m just torn. I feel like my heart is saying princess but my head is saying round. I sound crazy..I know!
38.gif

Thanks all!
A few thoughts that I have on this...

Before I knew anything about diamonds, I always presumed that I would prefer a non-RB. That said, once I began to learn more and more, an ideal cut RB became the only shape that I considered for many of the reasons that have already been pointed out here (research into ideal proportions, perceived size, classic elegance, etc.)

I''m glad that some other square shapes have been mentioned here - like Good Old Gold''s square H&A''s, etc. I know that you said that you did not want to buy sight unseen, which I can totally understand, but I''ll say more on that later.

I wanted to mention another two options that would get you the increased ''sparkle'' of the princess in an RB. The first would be a modified cut round (also called proprietary cuts, ie: Solasfera, Eighternity, etc.). I had an opportunity to see all of these compared side by side in person at GOG, and they definitely sparkle in a different way than classic proportioned RB''s do. I really liked the sparkle factor in the Eighternity, but in the end chose an ideal cut RB that had higher lower girdle facet length because...

When I wasn''t totally sure about the Eighternity Jon worked with me to bring in two other contenders - both ideal cuts that he highly recommended. The one that I wound up choosing had a lower girdle facet length of 82.6%. Without getting technical (which I couldn''t do anyways because I don''t totally understand the vagaries of this), the particular way that my RB was cut made it have more pinflash sparkles mixed in with the traditional broad flashes of the ideal cut RB. There is a video comparison of this on the GOG website - under ''recent videos'' it''s the one comparing the 3ct GIA ex with the 2.68 GIA ex (mine!) with the 3 ct Eighternity. When I saw my stone performing it was love - the best of both worlds: the classic ''look'' of a 56 facet round with the added pinflash of the Eighternity. If you haven''t watched any of the GOG videos I''d highly recommend them. The ''nature of scintillation'' one is awesome, and there are many that compare different cuts, shapes, etc., including the proprietary rounds and the other square shape alternatives that have been mentioned.

As a final note on this, I wrote extensively about my experience with GOG and comparing what I saw in their videos to what I saw in person. Without going into detail here I would just say that on account of Jon''s tremendous knowledge and exacting standards, and on account of his willingness and ability to provide comaprison videos for clients, I would absolutely buy sight unseen with him. He would work with you to find RB''s that had a particular performance to meet your particular ''sparkle taste'' as well if you chose to investigate that route, and if you saw your stone and had second thoughts you could always return it. Just my two cents...
35.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Bem! I was just watching the videos my my stupid media player kept buffering and it was getting very tiresome!
29.gif
I will go back and check out your stone. Personally..the Square H&A could solve all my problems! You get the beauty of a RB in a squareish shape! :) If I do become more interested, I think I will contact them to see if a video could be made and ask how the whole "return" policy works.

Thanks Bem and conrats on the great rock!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 3:43:07 PM
Thanks Bem! I was just watching the videos my my stupid media player kept buffering and it was getting very tiresome!
29.gif
I will go back and check out your stone. Personally..the Square H&A could solve all my problems! You get the beauty of a RB in a squareish shape! :) If I do become more interested, I think I will contact them to see if a video could be made and ask how the whole ''return'' policy works.

Thanks Bem and conrats on the great rock!

Thanks! I can''t wait to get my finished ring!

Please feel free to ask me any questions about my experience with Good Old Gold. Jon is absolutely awesome to work with. I was also very reluctant to purchase a stone sight unseen, which is why I made the trip to see them in person and hence can speak to how what I saw personally corresponded with the videos. Given my experiences, I would not hesitate to purchase sight unseen from Jon in the future (and, in fact, am currently talking to him about doing just that with a pair of studs that he''s sourcing for me!).

I think that a square H&A would be an awesome idea for you - the best of both worlds. Personally, I agree with others that the princess is pretty, but sort of ''young'' and a little faddish. I think that something a little ''different'' (ie: square H&A, jubilee, etc.) would be extraordinary!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 1:23:41 PM
Author: rocky_road

Sharon101, the description of your rounded edge bezel for a princess stone is exactly what I have been searching for on the internet! I love the bezel and the princess, however, all the settings I have seen have very sharp corners and that''s just not what I pictured in my head. Would you happen to have a picture of your ring or a similar setting online? I would appreciate it immensely! Thanks.
OK, if no one minds? Quick hijack!

If you search my posts/ topics there is only one ring involved and other kind posters organised the photos to come into the posts! So the ring is there and maybe someone can fish it out again. LOL

My actual ring looks remarkably similar but without diamonds on the inside edges.

The end result is a princess that looks bigger than it is due to the halo, which btw adds a huge sparkle element due to the rb diamonds in the halo. The overall shape also looks quite radiant like or very soft edged, but not at all like a hard lined princess.

What I was trying to do was to have it all, a bigger diamond, extra sparkle from the halo (to make up for the diamonds poor cut specs), and a softer look. I would say that the objectives were successfully met at the end of the day with this design.

My princess does come into its own in certain lighting conditions, especially at night with artificial lighting. It is very glittery with pin prick sparkles all over despite its very ave. cut.

I think the difference between a well cut princess and rb is the type of sparkle they have. I think the rb gives you more flashes of fire, whereas the princess is more pin prick sparkles???

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2008 5:30:13 PM
Author: Sharon101

Date: 1/22/2008 1:23:41 PM
Author: rocky_road

OK, if no one minds? Quick hijack!

If you search my posts/ topics there is only one ring involved and other kind posters organised the photos to come into the posts! So the ring is there and maybe someone can fish it out again. LOL
HI:

Sorry to also hijack, but I recall seeing your loose stone Sharon101 but never your completed ring. Did you start your own thread on it? I''d also be interested in seeing a halo on a PC.

cheers--Sharon

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I am the proud owner of a princess cut...and I love it!!! I have never had a single regret over going that route...and I enjoy it more and more each day, truthfully. I have also owned an oval ring, once upon a time...and currently own a beautiful pair of RB earrings (2.5 cttw--so they are a nice size each)

If I were you, and completely torn, I would give the decision making responsibility to my FF. Take yourself out of it, so that once the decision is made you dont feel any regret. On top of that bonus, the diamond you end up with will have sentimental value to you and your husband.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
If it''s between round and princess my opinion is the round brilliant is superior. Princess can be beautiful but they will always play second fiddle to the other square shapes when of equal cut quality. Cushions, asschers and radiants are more appealing to me

Round brilliant will always be a classic shape and be above fashion trends IMO. The princess I''m not so sure...whichever marketer came up with the name deserves a big pat on the back
2.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.01 princess, I have had it for about 5 years now, I am still drawn to the clean lines of the princess cut. When I bought a right hand ring, I still went for the clean lines, it is a square emerald cut alexandrite. I just love the straight lines of a square cut stone.
30.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Italian & Diamondrnglover - Yeah more princess lovers!
36.gif

Italian - I don''t know if I could leave it up to him..I must have control!
27.gif
In all honesty, he would want to get me what I love/want more, now I just need to figure out what that is!
3.gif

Diamond - I love the clean line aspect! I think that''s why I''m drawn to the shape...

Pieface...That''s why round came into the picture..it''s a classic beauty!

Thanks all. I''ll keep you posted!

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer round for myself, personally. I toyed with the idea of princess but ultimately, I find round a bit more classic and more ''me'' (since my style tends towards preppy/girly). I think of princess cuts as a bit more modern.

It might also be because I''ve yet to see a really STUNNING princess cut diamond in person. That is probably because they are so common and the majority of people seem to go with pre-set diamonds from mall stores. I don''t think it''s the ''fault'' of the cut but most of the princess cuts I see are on the small side and don''t appear to be very well cut or very clear. So that could definitely be giving me some bias.

I''ve seen some very pretty princess stones on here, but never IRL (have to admit I haven''t done much looking yet, perhaps I will find some when I go e-ring browsing!). I suppose if I saw a remarkable princess stone, I might be convinced to re-consider.

orangemonster

Rough_Rock
Hi Angel, sorry that I don''t have any pics of my princess! LOL... I am a tease!
Just to dispel a few princess notions, I am almost 42 (definitely not young) and still chose my princess. Also it was not a preset stone, DEFINITELY good advice to look at stones before they are set! I had the luxury of looking at multiple princess stones side by side and was astonished at the blinginess of mine.

Also maybe the fact my stone is GIA has something to do with it? I saw just as much fire and flash in it as the RBs I looked at. Some of the other ladies here support the notion that looking and trying in person is a must and I definitely agree! Just go with what you LOVE! The RBs are very nice but I am not a ''classic'' gal - I like to have ''different and unusual'' so it does depend a lot on your personality as well! Can''t wait to hear what you finally decide!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks OrangeMonster and AbsoluteBlonde.
I'm going side by side shopping this weekend. I have a bad feeling that I still won't have my mind made up!
38.gif

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Tune in on Saturday for an update!
3.gif

ETA - Orange can you PLEASE get some pics up of your beautiful rock? Teasing is no fun around here. You know that!
31.gif

9.gif

nolimits

Rough_Rock
Let me summarize everyone''s input....it''s a SUBJECTIVE matter!!!

There is no best answer. Many of the reasons listed here in support of one or the other cut I find to be hogwash in a sense because none of it matters if you don''t love the ring you wear. Buy what makes you melt, and you will always love the ring.

As for the next generation, who knows what they will like. But the sentimental value will still be there and they''ll still remember that grandma absolutely loved her ring. Same deal with it being a classic. I''ll reference old muscle cars. I love the 67-69 Camaro''s and 67 Mustangs (fastbacks) but only because their designs appeal to my tastes. Many of the prized Dodges from this same era I find to be "blah" despite the fact they too are "classics". Lastly about price and hand real estate. It goes to reason if 1 cut costs less per carat then you can afford more carats and compensate for the hand real estate. But regardless, I''d rather have what appeals to me in shape vs. a bigger (or smaller) object that I don''t find as attractive.

I happen to like both cuts, but more times than not the princess wins the beauty look for me. The princess cut always wins with my girl so it''s a no brainer for me which cut to choose since we both like princess. I have no good reasons other than we both prefer it and honestly I think that''s a good enough reason since it''s meant to make us happy, not someone else.

Best of luck choosing!!!

orangemonster

Rough_Rock
Eloquently well said nolimits!
36.gif

GOOD LUCK ANGEL!
21.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always had a thing for square and rectangular shapes more than round shapes, but in the end I traded in my radiant for a round. I did this because of the sparkle factor. In my opinion, you just can''t beat the performance of a round brilliant!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have never been a fan of princess cuts (not sure why!) so on that alone, I would go with a timeless cut such as Round....

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I think you really need to figure out if you like pinpoint flash or broadfire. I love the squares but pinpoint flash does little for me. Keep looking at rings, - everywhere. The stores, on line, on people you run into. It will come to you. The GOG videos are awesome to help figure out what you like.

Interesting that you said PSers seem to prefer round. I do think so. I used to have a fancy but now I have, for performance, a rb.

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
I vote for round. I''ve never been a huge fan of rounds or princess cuts but after being here on PS and seeing all the beautiful rounds I want one too!

Maybe you could go buy cz rings and wear them around to see which you like better?

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 3:06:22 PM
Author: idreamofice
I vote for round. I''ve never been a huge fan of rounds or princess cuts but after being here on PS and seeing all the beautiful rounds I want one too!

Maybe you could go buy cz rings and wear them around to see which you like better?
Idream - I walked through Target(grabbed their CZs and just shopped) doing exactly that and still couldn''t make up my mind! I''ve decided I''m a hopeless case.
38.gif

Nolimits-You are exactly right, it''s all personal preference..just wish I knew what mine was!
31.gif

Kcour - I just don''t think I''ve ever seen a RB that just WOWED me so that may be one of the problems I''m having...

Sonoma - You make such a good point. They are really different fires and I need to see two beauties and decide what I like more! I would love to watch the GOG videos if I had a computer that would let me!
3.gif
I''ll get around to doing that.

Thank you all. I HAVE to make up my mind soon and I''m hoping that will happen this weeknd.
10.gif

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 3:14:39 PM

Date: 1/23/2008 3:06:22 PM

Idream - I walked through Target(grabbed their CZs and just shopped) doing exactly that and still couldn''t make up my mind! I''ve decided I''m a hopeless case.
38.gif

Nolimits-You are exactly right, it''s all personal preference..just wish I knew what mine was!
31.gif

Kcour - I just don''t think I''ve ever seen a RB that just WOWED me so that may be one of the problems I''m having...

Sonoma - You make such a good point. They are really different fires and I need to see two beauties and decide what I like more! I would love to watch the GOG videos if I had a computer that would let me!
3.gif
I''ll get around to doing that.

Thank you all. I HAVE to make up my mind soon and I''m hoping that will happen this weeknd.
10.gif
Oh Well.....I guess you''ll just have to get one of each
31.gif
9.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 5:07:43 PM

Oh Well.....I guess you''ll just have to get one of each
31.gif
9.gif

YES! That is the best suggestion yet!
36.gif
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results