shape
carat
color
clarity

Round diamond in a square hole?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As of yesterday afternoon I was "THIS" close to knowing exactly what I wanted. But I figured I would go to *just one more* jewelry store *just in case* they had *something* that I might not have seen yet. Dammit--they did!

Now my question is whether you can put a round diamond in a square hole. (Of course you CAN, but I mean without looking goofy too, LOL!)

So, 1. do you think this setting (made in the right size for my diamond) would look OK? and 2. do you like the setting?

(My other option at this point is a Jack Kelege that I stumbled across yesterday that looks a lot like the Tiffany Legacy from the front/top. Of course until I saw that I was committed to going custom... )

Here is the setting with a diamond just plopped into it.

Frankfurt%20with%20diamond0001.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me try that again...

With diamond.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a side view.

Side view 3.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Profile shot.

Profile 3.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here it is "empty."

Empty 2.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like antique looks and I like rounds in square holes looks... but do you want it to look squarish (I do recall a previous thread of yours just on that topic lol) and as a stand alone I think a ring like this would really do the job, but your center stone, even that large, might get lost in the setting that big... but maybe you want it to? I take it you''re keeping your ''temp'' stone? LOL

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry these are so small. I finally got someone in my IT dept to teach me how to resize on my work computer but I must not be a very good student! I will experiment with different sizes and see if I can show these shots any bigger...
15.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe this will be bigger...

With diamond 50.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah ha -- I think I''ve got it!

Side view 60.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Profile again.

Profile 60.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Empty again.

Empty 60.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo! Now that I''ve got this picture thing figured out they will be no stopping me!!!

Cehra - Yep, I''m keeping the "temporary" stone. (At this moment anyway, LOL!)

So, my question is whether a round stone will "fit" properly in a square hole. I know there will be some overlap where the rounded edges go over the sides a little, and I do want the stone set low low low, but i wonder if it will look weird? I don''t think the corners will be a problem because of the prongs, but i could be wrong about that too...

What do you all think?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 10:28:17 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Woo hoo! Now that I''ve got this picture thing figured out they will be no stopping me!!!

Cehra - Yep, I''m keeping the ''temporary'' stone. (At this moment anyway, LOL!)

So, my question is whether a round stone will ''fit'' properly in a square hole. I know there will be some overlap where the rounded edges go over the sides a little, and I do want the stone set low low low, but i wonder if it will look weird? I don''t think the corners will be a problem because of the prongs, but i could be wrong about that too...

What do you all think?
::dons evil horns:: I think you need a slightly bigger diamond to cover those couple tiny gaps ::nods innocently::

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra - that's actually not my stone in the setting, it's just one that we plopped in there to give me some visual on what it would look like (I'm terrible at looking at "empty" settings--I just get not idea of what the finished product will really look like). A new setting would have to be made to fit my stone.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always loved the look of a round stone in a square frame...so deco-ish...and I LOVE the face-up view of that mounting with the round stone in it!

But I wonder if the security of the stone would be compromised if the actual hole were square. What does your jeweler say?

widget

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget, the jeweler said it was doable, especially since I want the stone set so low.

There is a jeweler who carries this line right downtown by my office and I''m going to sneak over there today some time to see if they have this setting or something similar.

For the price, even if it doesn''t work out for my current stone I think I might get it and put a colored stone in it anyway.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I love it - stunning! I think it would look AMAZING with your stone!

This is a GREAT way to get the best of both worlds....the zing and light return that only a round gives, but not having to sacrifice the look of a fancy shape to get that zing.

Gorgeous!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 11:00:16 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Cehra - that''s actually not my stone in the setting, it''s just one that we plopped in there to give me some visual on what it would look like (I''m terrible at looking at ''empty'' settings--I just get not idea of what the finished product will really look like). A new setting would have to be made to fit my stone.
I was just being a turkey anyway
12.gif
what size is the stone in there and what is yours again? I like the setting a lot - more than the other one you''re considering. The other one seems a bit ordinary these days... jmo!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that setting DeeJay! And, of course, I love the deco-ish quality of round in square. Also agree that the setting would work with a colored stone at a later date if you ever got itchy for something else (perhaps with a asscher-eque Sapphire or Tsvorite!)

*sigh*

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2006 12:04:10 PM
Author: aljdewey
I love it - stunning! I think it would look AMAZING with your stone!

This is a GREAT way to get the best of both worlds....the zing and light return that only a round gives, but not having to sacrifice the look of a fancy shape to get that zing.

Gorgeous!
36.gif

I agree with aljdewey....

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE IT!!!!!

All I can say is if I saw you on the street with that...i''d drool on your hand :)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL gals! And the best part is that is less than 1/4 of the price of my "runner up" setting at this point. (But I''m not letting the $ be the determining factor. As Mrs. S. always says, it''s only a deal if you''re getting exactly what you want!) Of course I''m going to visit them both again--probably several times
9.gif
--but I''m really liking all the different shapes together in one ring. Who knows what bolt of divine inspiration will ultimately strike, but this is the way I''m leaning at the moment.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it! I do think it has a vintage flair and really IS a great way to get your cake and eat it too...a round stone with a unique, fancy shape setting.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ught oh... Just got a call from the jeweler who had this. She talked to the designer's rep and he thinks they only make it to fit up to a 3 ct stone. (3 ct = 9.4 mm, my stone = 9.65 X 9.70) He's going to look into it, but how grim would that be--to lose this setting over .25 mm...

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous setting, I hope they can make it work for you if that is what you want!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a lovely setting. I hope that the jeweler can work out the .25mm difference!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Now don''t take this the wrong way, but when I initially saw it, I thought it looked like a jumbled-up mess. But now I think the reason I thought that was because the stone is just laying in there and not really set, so the prongs would be holding the stone, etc. if it was actually set. Then it would not look like a jumbled-up mess. Now that I''ve looked at it for several minutes, I love it!
9.gif
That deco look is also my style. And I always like it when a round stone is in a square frame or octagonal frame.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2006 6:31:36 PM
Author: lizz
Now don''t take this the wrong way, but when I initially saw it, I thought it looked like a jumbled-up mess. But now I think the reason I thought that was because the stone is just laying in there and not really set, so the prongs would be holding the stone, etc. if it was actually set. Then it would not look like a jumbled-up mess. Now that I''ve looked at it for several minutes, I love it!
9.gif
That deco look is also my style. And I always like it when a round stone is in a square frame or octagonal frame.

LOL, Lizz, there IS a lot going on there (halo, melee, baguettes, milgraining, engraving--I think the only possible option I''m missing here are suprise diamonds!
2.gif
). And the prongs are making the whole thing look *weird*, especially the straight-on shot with the diamond in the setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love rounds in square halos...as a matter of fact, I like it better than a roung halo. But you don''t have to have the center square..it could be rounded. But my SIL has a round in a slightly retangular halo, and there is an airline around the stone. So it can work with the square inner part, if it''s the right size for your diamond.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a moment of panic I went to visit the setting again today. Maybe there *was* too much going on there! Maybe it *was* a jumbled mess! Maybe the quality *wasn't* "good enough*! Maybe... Maybe... Maybe... !

My fears were unfounded; I think has just been weirded out by the pics of this thing at 40X their real size and the fact that the prongs are so wonky in the photos.

I did snap a few more shots, farther away, so that the prongs aren't as much of a focus and also to give a perspective of this thing on my hand. The 3 ct version would be slightly bigger, but probably not much so. Also, this ring is 2 sizes too big so it's kind of "winging out" too much on the sides, but at least it's an idea.

The rep for this line is coincidentally coming to visit the store on Monday and there is a CHANCE he has a 3 ct version with him in platinum, in which case I can have it immediately. (But my luck is never that good--I almost wish they hadn't even told me!)

Anyway, here are the pics:

Full hand 10001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results