shape
carat
color
clarity

Round diamond in a square hole?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second one:

Full hand 20001.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I really like it in the new photos. The prongs were distracting in the first photos.

I hope you can get it. It''s very unique.
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2006 7:09:32 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
In a moment of panic I went to visit the setting again today. Maybe there *was* too much going on there! Maybe it *was* a jumbled mess! Maybe the quality *wasn''t* ''good enough*! Maybe... Maybe... Maybe... !
boy I can relate to that!!! lol I love it though - I think it''s got everything you want and that''s just fantastic! I love the square halo :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the square halo too and it appears to have everything you''re looking for. It really is very beautiful..

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
*LOVE* IT!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely LOVE that setting! Who is the maker?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is by Bijan Fere. Here's the site: link

If you're looking for a dealer near you, be warned it might be an interesting conversation to find one! I located this setting in a store about an hour's drive from my house but I was hoping to find a jeweler closer to me. There is a phone number on the site to located dealers. BIJAN himself answered the phone. His english wasn't so good and we ended up going round and round a bit.
Me: do any jewelers in downtown Chicago carry your line?
Him: oh yes!
(silence)
Me: can you tell me *who*?
Him: there is a very nice chinese man.
Me: um... what store?
Him: on wabash.
Me: any particular *address* on wabash?
Him: on street level. He is very honest. [like that's supposed to help me find him!]
Me: um... anyone else besides the honest chinese man?
Him: Monique.
Me: ok, great! thanks!

Monique is a jewler that i actually know so that's how i was able to locate the settings downtown. But can you imagine the conversation if i didn't know her either?

Not that it's my place to tell him how to run his business, but make he could make a *list* by metropolitan area of who distributes his line... ?

Anyway, not AT ALL trying to discourage anyone from looking for the line, but be warned it might take a little patience!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Dee*Jay, that setting looks fantastic on your hand!!!!!! I love it. I know you have been looking for a long time. I hope everything works out ok with this one!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH I AM SO BUMMED!!!

The designer''s rep visited the jewelry store today and the version they have IS the largest size that the setting is made in. The designer can make it for me, or the jewelry store can re-create it for me using some sort of fancy CAD magic, but in both cases it will take about 3 months and cost twice as much as the existing version.

8.gif
14.gif
8.gif
14.gif
8.gif

Give me some advice--what should I do???

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2006 3:01:22 PM
OH I AM SO BUMMED!!!

The designer's rep visited the jewelry store today and the version they have IS the largest size that the setting is made in. The designer can make it for me, or the jewelry store can re-create it for me using some sort of fancy CAD magic, but in both cases it will take about 3 months and cost twice as much as the existing version.

8.gif
14.gif
8.gif
14.gif
8.gif

Give me some advice--what should I do???

Dee Jay.....if you LOVE it, and it's the one........do it.

It doesn't matter that it wil take 3 months. You could spend another 3 months trying to find something you like as well, and by then, you could be so battle weary from the effort that you're more happy it's finally over than happy to find something. 3 months is a short investment to get the ring IF it's the one that makes your heart sing.

Twice as much? Well, the three months will give you time to save.
2.gif

From experience: it typically costs FAR more to do something over than to do it right the first time. I can't tell you how many times I've settled for something (not what I wanted in my heart of hearts) and ended up spending MORE because I wasn't honestly satisfied and kept changing it....and then ultimately ended up buying what I really wanted in the first place. It's cheaper to just get it right.
9.gif
This goes for VCRs, cars, etc. Thank God I learned the value in getting it right before it came time to house-hunt!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Al, I know you are right...

I visited a jewler today who can do me a CAD version in a day and can can have the wax ready before I hop on the plane for my vacation on Friday. Ring potentially ready in three weeks total. Of course nothing is free, but it might be worth it. And even at twice as much it's still $2,000 less than the "runner up."

I wish I knew *what* it was about this setting that spoke to me, but for some reason of the many many (and there have been MANY!) that I've tried on this is the one.

Will go back and visit him tomorrow and get a final number and time estimate.

Ug.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/18/2006 10:01:54 PM
Oh Al, I know you are right...

I visited a jewler today who can do me a CAD version in a day and can can have the wax ready before I hop on the plane for my vacation on Friday. Ring potentially ready in three weeks total. Of course nothing is free, but it might be worth it. And even at twice as much it''s still $2,000 less than the ''runner up.''

I wish I knew *what* it was about this setting that spoke to me, but for some reason of the many many (and there have been MANY!) that I''ve tried on this is the one.

Will go back and visit him tomorrow and get a final number and time estimate.

Ug.
oh best of luck to you tomorrow! I''m excited for you - you really seem to love this one and I love it too LOL :D

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
For what it''s worth ... my e-ring took eight weeks (to be recreated in platinum instead of it''s original white gold). And I was WAITING FOR A PROPOSAL ... still worth it!

I''m not suprised it''s 2x the cost either ... stock pieces that have already been done are sometimes calculated & priced at "old" platinum prices ... since it''s skyrocketed A LOT of settings have doubled in price. I bet my setting would be about twice as much now (as it was when priced out in July 2005).

If you love it, and it''s in budget ... I''d do it. It''s only "expensive" when it comes to what you *thought* it would be, not *other* settings you''ve liked ... and the time frame ... not that uncommon for quality precision work!

squeee. can''t wait to see what you decide!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
DeeJay, it sounds like this setting is the one you love. Therefore, go for it if you love it. You didn''t scrimp on the diamond, so I wouldn''t scrimp on the setting either.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I visited the jeweler that I'm most hopeful about being able to recreate this ring (with some modifications) and had a long talk with him about everything that I wanted. (If I'm getting this custom made I might as well have *exactly* want I want--right?!) Hopefully I'll have a quote by tomorrow.

In the process of going around I did get a quote from a different jeweler for $4,300 to make it (the original version in platinum is $2,400) but in looking at his work I wouldn't let him make a clasp for The Demon's collar let alone recreate this setting. The samples in his case were SHOCKINGLY grim. Oh well, fortunately a lot of customers aren't as picky as we PSers are or this guy would be out of business. (Big sigh--I must just be in a bad mood over all this!)

There is always the Jack Kelege that's coming in for me to see, and I'll go through the JK catalog again while I'm there to see if he has anything similar to the one I like. I wish Kelege showed more of his pieces on his website becuase there is literally a three-ring binder full of them but you can only view a few on line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results