rosetta

Ideal_Rock
It's amazing! And a steal!! :love:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
what an amazing find! gorgeous!

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
WoooooHoooooo! :appl: :appl: :appl: Congratulations Dreamer on a wonderful find and at such a great price too. The stone is absolutely beautiful and the setting is simply charming. Enjoy your new collection of sparklies!!

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
impressive find! Very happy for you to find such a beauty!

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love the faceting on that stone. Your find is spurring me to look harder for my dream OEC--I think my risk aversion is hurting me! You and a few other PSers out there should consider careers as personal shoppers for OECs... :razz:

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
It's a beautiful stone and I just love the setting too! You have something antique and unique...good for you! I hope it makes you smile every day :D

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely ring and what a bargain!

betty6333

Shiny_Rock
THAT is a NICE find!
WTG!!!
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

:lickout:

April20

Ideal_Rock
Nice sluething!! I really love the faceting pattern of the stone. Enjoy it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did find a nice one! What a beautiful faceting pattern! Congrats on a great purchase!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nicely done - the ring's a beauty, and that stone is a lovely example of an OEC. Also (and perhaps this is just me), but somehow, it's more satisfying when it's a deal, isn't it? :devil:

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Score! Nice find Dreamer!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
wow!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! It's very pretty. Add me to the list of people you could sell it to at a mark-up ;-)

I like the setting as well, it's sweet and delicate - the perfect frame for that wonderful stone!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am really digging the faceting in my OEC. I see why people are obsessed with them 8) When the stone scintillates, it looks like water flowing in a brook or somand twinkling at you, like tonnes of little mirrors flashing around inside the diamod. So very different than a modern RB. The cut on this diamond is really awesome. It just needs to be weensy bit bigger to be perfect :devil: I think at about 7mm you would reall get to appreciate the chunky mirror like flashes.

So far I have only been able to wear the ring on my pinky when I am sitting around the house. Tomorrow morning I am getting it resized and then I can really start to enjoy it! I cannot wait.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1320328133|3053159 said:
Nicely done - the ring's a beauty, and that stone is a lovely example of an OEC. Also (and perhaps this is just me), but somehow, it's more satisfying when it's a deal, isn't it? :devil:

Oh at least 80% of my enjoyment of a diamond is the deal-factor ;)) I have learned that about myself.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha! The deal factor is very nice, I will have to admit. But I am willing to pay for an AV stone if that is the way I decide to go since there is virtually no secondary market for those!

I hear ya on the 7mm. I can't get the full look either with my baby transitional since mine is only .55. But I wanted to ask, do you feel like if you were offered a free diamond (in your dreams!) and had to choose between an excellent cut OEC or a H&A, which would you choose?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1320361753|3053497 said:
Haha! The deal factor is very nice, I will have to admit. But I am willing to pay for an AV stone if that is the way I decide to go since there is virtually no secondary market for those!

I hear ya on the 7mm. I can't get the full look either with my baby transitional since mine is only .55. But I wanted to ask, do you feel like if you were offered a free diamond (in your dreams!) and had to choose between an excellent cut OEC or a H&A, which would you choose?

Ooh, interesting! Can I qualify that with that both are 7mm?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1320362734|3053513 said:

Yes, definitely! 7mm or up!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Love it! :love:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my goodness! what a deal - and so beautiful too dreamer. happy for you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1320363260|3053520 said:

I think I would take the OEC! At this moment :devil:

Right now I own RBs in .30ct sizes and this almost 6mm OEC. And of course, I have owned many larger RBs over the years. Over the last few days I have been comparing my OEC to my RBs and also comparing to my memory. There is something very unique about the optics of an OEC, and I have not seen it before. I have been trying to put my finger on what the light play looks like. You know what moving, chaotic, babbling-brook water looks like when light flashes off it? That is what the light play looks like in the OEC, there is a very liquid quality to it, and a chaos that you do not see in an RB. Combined with the roundness of the crown, the light play looks like a snow globe full of big, slow moving tinsel, or mirrors. I don't know if *all* OECs look like this, but mine does and it is very attractive. My only complaint (ha!) is that the stone is not large enough to really really enjoy the facet play. I have to look at it very close.

This OEC is very eye catching and flashy. When the jeweler was looking at it, I was watching it and it looks so flashy! But, it is not as bright as an RB, and so not as eye catching from accross the room. I think that for five-stone rings, or eternity bands, or other jewelry where you have smaller diamonds (like under .30ct), RBs are really great because they are so bold and bright. In those sizes you also cannot really see facets very well, you just get an overall impression of sparkle, so I think the strengths of RBs would outweigh the strengths of OECs. But in a larger solitaire, or earrings, I really do like the OEC faceting a lot.

DS have you seen an AVC in person? Or an AVR? Because I like the look of the OEC style faceting more than I personally liked the optics of the AVC I owned. If I were to buy one of the modern branded cuts I would go AVR. The pavilion mains on the AVC ar every large, and though they do flash boldly, the overall appearance of light play was muted to my eye, maybe a little too slow. It could have been the body color partly affecting, or it is just how cushions look. But I think a later OEC, well, a European cut I guess ;)) , like the AVR cuts, is really the best of both worlds in terms of balancing bold flash with speed of scintillation for eye-catching ability.

Yssie which would you choose? You own both!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm dreamer- do I sense you are working your way back up the size chart?? :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1320380875|3053688 said:
diamondseeker2006|1320363260|3053520 said:

I think I would take the OEC! At this moment :devil:

Right now I own RBs in .30ct sizes and this almost 6mm OEC. And of course, I have owned many larger RBs over the years. Over the last few days I have been comparing my OEC to my RBs and also comparing to my memory. There is something very unique about the optics of an OEC, and I have not seen it before. I have been trying to put my finger on what the light play looks like. You know what moving, chaotic, babbling-brook water looks like when light flashes off it? That is what the light play looks like in the OEC, there is a very liquid quality to it, and a chaos that you do not see in an RB. Combined with the roundness of the crown, the light play looks like a snow globe full of big, slow moving tinsel, or mirrors. I don't know if *all* OECs look like this, but mine does and it is very attractive. My only complaint (ha!) is that the stone is not large enough to really really enjoy the facet play. I have to look at it very close.

This OEC is very eye catching and flashy. When the jeweler was looking at it, I was watching it and it looks so flashy! But, it is not as bright as an RB, and so not as eye catching from accross the room. I think that for five-stone rings, or eternity bands, or other jewelry where you have smaller diamonds (like under .30ct), RBs are really great because they are so bold and bright. In those sizes you also cannot really see facets very well, you just get an overall impression of sparkle, so I think the strengths of RBs would outweigh the strengths of OECs. But in a larger solitaire, or earrings, I really do like the OEC faceting a lot.

DS have you seen an AVC in person? Or an AVR? Because I like the look of the OEC style faceting more than I personally liked the optics of the AVC I owned. If I were to buy one of the modern branded cuts I would go AVR. The pavilion mains on the AVC ar every large, and though they do flash boldly, the overall appearance of light play was muted to my eye, maybe a little too slow. It could have been the body color partly affecting, or it is just how cushions look. But I think a later OEC, well, a European cut I guess ;)) , like the AVR cuts, is really the best of both worlds in terms of balancing bold flash with speed of scintillation for eye-catching ability.

Yssie which would you choose? You own both!

Interesting review... it's really too bad you don't have both in-hand, and we could be sure we've removed the price/memory influences!

My OECs are much smaller than my ring RB, so I never feel like that's a fair comparison... I have a loose 6mm RB, but it's a 60/60 type and while it's nicely proportioned I don't like the look or light output of that type at all, so that's not really fair to compare with either!

But - I'm more and more sure that at the end of the day I'm an RB girl - provided it's the right flavour of RB. The older cuts are beautiful and unique, and the randomness of the light play, like you talk about, is mesmerizing - in part *because* it's impossible to predict what the stone is going to do next! But I love and *need* the structure of the RB, the brightness, the mix of big flashes and quick tiny twinkles... the OECs can take my breath away, but I find that I have to be actively focused on them to really appreciate them. One of them came to me set in a ring, and I wore it around for a few days, and that was when I really noticed the difference - it never grabbed me away from whatever I was doing and held me like my RB does, and I often just forgot about it in a way that my RB never lets me.

BUT my RB was in my beloved threestone and the OEC was in a basic solitaire that did nothing for my fingers, I was married with my RB... it's so hard to *know* I'm actually isolating what I like to see from how I feel. Hence the obvious need for two free new stones to play with ::)

In smaller stones I suspect it's the other way round for me - I definitely find my 0.45 transitionals more eyecatching than my 0.43 sidestones. 'Course they're set very differently so that might well be part of it...

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Uh oh. Dreamer you might have pushed me over the edge with that TDF ring. With all the old cuts on here recently, I'm afraid I have a new obsession :devil:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1320423224|3053911 said:
Hmm dreamer- do I sense you are working your way back up the size chart?? :naughty:

HA! I never ever made any sort of claim that I would not have a larger diamond again. I feel fairly certain that some day I will have a diamond in the 1.2ct/7mm range, and will likely sell this one. I will probably have an old cut because I like a deal and you can find well cut old cuts on the secondary market for a steal, if you look. In modern RBs I only like perfectly cut H&As, and you don't see those for steals. But maybe a PSer will have an H&A for a sale one day when I am in the market. Who knows. My collection is ever changing and I am cool with that. I enjoy trolling ebay for deals too, it is fun.

Yssie I thought about it more and I think I just need both cuts ;-) But I like this ring a lot and that is all that matters right now.

I got the ring sized and bought a matching wedding band at a pawn shop today for $50. The set lloks divine, I am really loving the yellow gold and the buttercup mount. I will try to get some more pictures and post them when I get a chance.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1320444079|3054191 said:
Amys Bling|1320423224|3053911 said:

HA! I never ever made any sort of claim that I would not have a larger diamond again. I feel fairly certain that some day I will have a diamond in the 1.2ct/7mm range, and will likely sell this one. I will probably have an old cut because I like a deal and you can find well cut old cuts on the secondary market for a steal, if you look. In modern RBs I only like perfectly cut H&As, and you don't see those for steals. But maybe a PSer will have an H&A for a sale one day when I am in the market. Who knows. My collection is ever changing and I am cool with that. I enjoy trolling ebay for deals too, it is fun.

Yssie I thought about it more and I think I just need both cuts ;-) But I like this ring a lot and that is all that matters right now.

I got the ring sized and bought a matching wedding band at a pawn shop today for $50. The set lloks divine, I am really loving the yellow gold and the buttercup mount. I will try to get some more pictures and post them when I get a chance.

Well, it's been a full day, where are those pics? :bigsmile:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a find! It is beautiful. Love the buttercup setting too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, you helped me a lot sorting out whether an AVR or AVC would be better. Someone else who has seen AVR's had told me they are perfection. I think we haven't seen more here because his supply of those is less plentiful.

Yssie, I appreciate your observations as well.

At this point, I am feeling like I should either go with a smaller H&A stone in a Tiffany repro so I can wear it with the Legacy band, or go with an AVR and get a setting like this BK or have it custom made by Victor:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/after-much-deliberation-i-found-the-stone-now-the-ring.160811/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/after-much-deliberation-i-found-the-stone-now-the-ring.160811/[/URL]

The thing is, I can probably always buy more antique rings with OEC's. I love my new little transitional ring a lot. It reminds me of the Van Craeynest ring I liked, which is a reason that I really don't need a VC now.

Looking forward to seeing your new ring and band! Pawn shops are fun, aren't they?!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results