clarity

Rhapsody in Bespoke Gems Blues!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1433374100|3884839 said:
I'm looking forward to the "Big Reveal" :bigsmile:

Me too Minousbijoux 8-) 8-) 8-)
You are such an experienced collector. Where do you mostly 'find' your stones? Did you do many custom projects like this?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope another PS CSer will get the last oval.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doug will start with the 2nd Asscher style stone shortly? Whose stone will this be???

_30819.jpg

_30820.jpg

_30821.jpg

_30822.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1433374471|3884847 said:
The remaining oval has gone to Pyramid, posted in another thread.

DK: Pyramid has indeed reserved a supernova oval. In his second post Doug comented that there is one more piece left that will also cut an oval. If that one will be reserved, there will be 4 Asschers and 2 ovals from the mother rough.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1433374772|3884851 said:
dk168|1433374471|3884847 said:
The remaining oval has gone to Pyramid, posted in another thread.

DK: Pyramid has indeed reserved a supernova oval. In his second post Doug comented that there is one more piece left that will also cut an oval. If that one will be reserved, there will be 4 Asschers and 2 ovals from the mother rough.

I realised my mistake and corrected my last post, however, you were too quick and quoted my original post!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Piece number 2 in progress...

_30840.jpg

_30842.jpg

_30843.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
He seem to be cutting them pretty quickly, looking forward to seeing your stones!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait! Acinom I didn't give too much thought to the colour but I did browse Doug's website and looked through his natural topaz stones, most seemed to be on the lighter side. I think the light colour will complement the windmill facets nicely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1433374334|3884843 said:
Minousbijoux 8-) 8-) 8-)
You are such an experienced collector. Where do you mostly 'find' your stones? Did you do many custom projects like this?

Most precision cut custom work are more expensive and/or the colour quality are typically not as fine as those that are already cut. My experience with custom has not been good, with the colouration not as fine as estimated. I am willing to give up precision cutting for very good non-precision cut for top colour.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
Most precision cut custom work are more expensive and/or the colour quality are typically not as fine as those that are already cut. My experience with custom has not been good, with the colouration not as fine as estimated. I am willing to give up precision cutting for very good non-precision cut for top colour.

That's interesting to hear you say, Chrono. I wouldn't have necessarily thought that. Do you feel that way across the board?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost all my finest stones in my collection are not precision cut, much less custom precision cut. Most of the best rough are procured and cut onsite or sent to special cutting houses, leaving most lapidaries slim pickings. Most individual lapidaries also cannot compete financially with the large cutting houses or Chinese buyers. This is not to say that the lapidaries cannot procure good quality rough; it will be beautiful but few will be of very fine colouration. Precision cutting can make the stone more lively/sparkly but it can only improve colour up to a point.

S

SparkliesLuver

Understand. Thank you, Chrono, for explaining a bit more. :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think it is difficult for many custom cutter to find top quality ( color) rough - I agree with Chrono ( unfortunately) and try to find well cut stones with a super or sometimes interesting color.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1433374334|3884843 said:
minousbijoux|1433374100|3884839 said:
I'm looking forward to the "Big Reveal" :bigsmile:

Me too Minousbijoux 8-) 8-) 8-)

My best blues are custom projects from Jeff White and other precision cutters. My best orange spess, Mahenge, and chrysos are from precision cutters, but not custom. My best green tsavorites are before I knew about precision cutting (!) were bought at a gem show, are windowed and need a recut, but alas. :(sad So, some yes and some no. :)) Now, I don't buy much, but its mainly rough or when a stone absolutely stops me in my tracks. :bigsmile:

But I think you should be asking those with the real gorgeous collections, like Alj Dewey, NKOTB and Miracles Rule (I haven't seen hers, just heard about them)...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1433306477|3884469 said:
Pyramid said:
Hi there. I ordered the oval. Really interesting watching this happening. As you all have posted measurements, I asked for 9mm x 7mm. :lickout:
Yay! That's great that you are a stone sister too Pyramid! Any ideas yet on how to set your oval? An oval is such an elegant shape. It will look great.

lilmosun said:
What a cool project! Can't wait to see the results :)
Thank you for sharing in our excitement Lilmosun :wavey:

hi there :wavey: I am loving seeing the sisters being created. I am getting the ring made by Alistair Kelsey in Australia who Doug recommended. it will be 18k yellow gold, high basket wire setting three stone style, I have not seen the design just leaving the design up to Alistair Kelsey. it will have two 10 point diamonds which he has said will be F color SI1. My main aim is getting a natural blue topaz without treatment. Would have liked it to stay more saturated but understand it is what it is. We should have cut one stone and shared it :bigsmile:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1433418981|3885023 said:
Almost all my finest stones in my collection are not precision cut, much less custom precision cut. Most of the best rough are procured and cut onsite or sent to special cutting houses, leaving most lapidaries slim pickings. Most individual lapidaries also cannot compete financially with the large cutting houses or Chinese buyers. This is not to say that the lapidaries cannot procure good quality rough; it will be beautiful but few will be of very fine colouration. Precision cutting can make the stone more lively/sparkly but it can only improve colour up to a point.

This is true for most blue sapphire and ruby, but not for many other stones. We also buy sapphires already cut and recut or correct them. I can't speak for Sri Lanka, but in Tanzania, I have never seen any cutting going on onsite. The stones are brought into Arusha and change hands a few times before being cut.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, you lot twisted my arm for long enough, talk about peer pressure!!! And I had sent Doug an e-mail last night to enquire about the last piece of oval, however, I have not heard back from him yet.

Please note it is "enquiry only" at this stage as it may be beyond my reach.

DK :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1433444995|3885203 said:
OK, you lot twisted my arm for long enough, talk about peer pressure!!! And I had sent Doug an e-mail last night to enquire about the last piece of oval, however, I have not heard back from him yet.

Please note it is "enquiry only" at this stage as it may be beyond my reach.

DK :bigsmile:

Bwah hah hah haaaaa, DK! Is there such a thing as "inquiry only" with you?!! :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ricezo: thank you for sharing the fun with us :wavey: Fingers crossed that Doug can do some more cutting tomorrow.

Lovinggems: will yours be a 10 or 11 mm? I forgot... The lighter colour will indeed combine perfectly with an Asscher cut :love:

Chrono, Minousbijoux, Sparkliesluver, Marlow & Gene: very interesting discussion! Thank you for sharing your reflections.
My favourite is the non precision cut sapphire in my Avatar. Also in the top 3 is my custom precision cut Precision Gem Afghan tourmaline. It will be interesting to learn whether the top 3 'best stones' of PSers are (custom) precision cut or not. I can feel a thread coming up :twisted:

Pyramid: I was not familiar with the work of Alistair Kelsey so I looked it up on FB and it looks great :appl: I cannot wait to see your stone and your future setting. Are you located in Australia?
I was hoping for a more saturated teal like blue. Following the process though, I am thrilled with the jelly blue and with the fact that it is untreated. Yay!!

DK: whaaaat? How exciting about your 'inquiry' :lol: I have to agree with Minousbijoux. Seriously though: I could not help thinking of you, especially seeing the lighter colour of the smaller pieces. And after that I have to invite you to the 'stone buying ban'. Please keep us updated DK.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing from Doug yet.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK, I've got my fingers crossed for you. :) It would be fantastic if you did get the last piece of rough from Doug, making it an all-PS suite of topazes!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1433466489|3885341 said:
DK, I've got my fingers crossed for you. :) It would be fantastic if you did get the last piece of rough from Doug, making it an all-PS suite of topazes!

+1: keeping my fingers crossed for you DK :wavey: Doug had originally planned to be out of the office on Thursday and Friday, so he could be away. I hope the last piece is available for you.

_30864.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom: I realize after I responded to your question that my response could be construed as rude as I didn't name everyone who has a great collection of stones. I would include you in that category and neglected to say it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1433478311|3885402 said:
Acinom: I realize after I responded to your question that my response could be construed as rude as I didn't name everyone who has a great collection of stones. I would include you in that category and neglected to say it!

Hi Minousbijoux :wavey: your answer was not rude at all!!!! Thank you for your huge compliment though! I am an absolute beginner with a tiny collection so I do not see myself even remotely in the same category as you and some others here 8-)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Acinom I chose 10mm. ::)

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
mochiko42|1433466489|3885341 said:

+1: keeping my fingers crossed for you DK :wavey: Doug had originally planned to be out of the office on Thursday and Friday, so he could be away. I hope the last piece is available for you.

I actually contacted Doug several days ago, asking if there was anything leftover (since, admittedly, I've also been thinking about this!). He responded last night and said he'd get back to me next week, if that's alright. However, I've had my own turn of events (with another very low-key search I've had going for awhile that actually turned up some results), so I responded and said I was no longer interested. So, DK, hopefully he gets to you next! :D

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
This is so exciting, thank you Acinom. I agree with Acinom it is lighter than I expected.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received a quick message from Doug saying he'll get back to me next week with more information.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems: that's a great size! Looking forward to see Doug's next update.

Sparkliesluver: ah, I did not realize that you were eyeing this piece of rough too. In that case we would have been double stone sisters. How kind of you to give DK a heads-up. I love your understated concept of the 'low key search'. Knowing you it will be nothing but fabulous. How is your 'mother & son' ring progressing?

Shulaibaoma: I hope you love the lighter blue as much as the darker teal blue? Personally I love that it is untreated and I love a lot of blue shades. I realize that I did not even ask Doug what the expected colour would be.

DK: that sounds promising? If it had been reserved already he would have probably told you immediately. Fingers crossed!! I sure hope you will get that last piece.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's hope it is still available and within my reach.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results