shape
carat
color
clarity

Restoration Hardware Cribs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I have been trying to find reviews on these all over the net, and can''t find any.

Did anyone go with RH for thier crib? or know of someone who did? Do they like it?

I receieved a coupon for $100 off of every $500 I spend (20% off), and the best deal I will find between now and baby time. This is the same as their F&F discount.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Meresal,

I did not get my crib from Restoration Hardware, but I did register there and was very happy with everything I received (lighting and linens). I did not get my furniture there because I wanted to see it in person and at the time I bought my furniture they only had stores in CA and NY (not sure if that''s changed). You could check out the Baby Bargains message boards, I know I saw some reviews of RH Baby furniture there.

Don''t feel rushed because of the coupon though, they have that offer constantly. I get emails with that offer (and actually have gotten some for $100 of $400 (so 25%).

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
No help here either as I''ve never seen them in store--only in their catalogue. I would agree that you not rush due to the coupon..RH tends to be way overpriced anyway, even with coupons. Are there any other cribs you''ve seen that you like? PB is pretty similar to RH in general so maybe their cribs are too? We found ours at BRU (Baby Italia Lifestyle Crib) which I''m pretty happy with and aesthetically pleasing too. And of course they do the 20% coupons, plus if you get their CC can get an additional 10% (which is what we did).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree with janine re: shopping around as well. i looked at RH because of that same coupon a few months ago (they have it maybe once every 2 months?) but it was stil not cost effective, the crib was still like $500. and actually for me it wasn't about their cribs but their dressers were really exp too. also i would imagine that RH doesn't make their own furniture, like many of the other retailers. aka BabyGap has furniture but it's made by someone else.

we got our stuff from PB kids but only because we had gift cards that covered it all so we didn't have to pay anything technically. the crib was $400 and i love it, it converts to toddler.

other than that, i really liked the Babi Italia stuff at BRU also, it is pretty comparable, and also i liked...trying to remember... one of the other brands that is at local stores. but we also kind of wanted a more honey color than the espresso which made it harder to find. with espresso there were a TON of well-made affordable options out there.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I probably wouldn''t dish out too much on a crib, we''ve hard ours 11 months, and Kyle''s starting to chew the end nearest the door
20.gif
. It has a plastic teething guard on it, but only on one side. A good dresser that you''ll use for a long time is probably a much better investment then a crib.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I do understand that RH is overpriced, but I also like that you can use their cribs, from crib to toddler to Full size bed(with headboard). That is years and years of use, IMO.

November- I will check out Baby Bargains. Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 3:15:13 PM
Author: meresal
Thank you. I do understand that RH is overpriced, but I also like that you can use their cribs, from crib to toddler to Full size bed(with headboard). That is years and years of use, IMO.

Just so you know MANY cribs can do this-even the cheap ones. So don't let this be a deciding factor.

If you love the RH crib then go for it, but for most people RH's cribs are just too pricey to justify when there are so many other baby expenses! Mine chew on our cribs too-so be aware of that like MGal said. It's so lovely.
20.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I will be sure to keep looking. I guess, I just love the look... the way the bed looks as a toddler and as a full size with the solid headboard.
40.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i love the look too, but just can''t justify the price.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 3:27:37 PM
I will be sure to keep looking. I guess, I just love the look... the way the bed looks as a toddler and as a full size with the solid headboard.
40.gif

If you love it and can afford it by all means go for it! They are beautiful cribs.

We are just pointing out that the cheaper cribs can do the conversion and that babies/kids are ROUGH on their furniture so it may not look so nice in a few years.

But only you can decide if it''s worth the $ to you or not.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Yup, even Kyle''s $200 Wal-Mart crib converts to a toddler bed and a full-size bed, so you can find plenty of them that do that. I''m not sure if there''ll be any wood left of it to convert though!

If you have a USA Baby near you, they have a ton of nice baby furniture too.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of everything from RH. If I was rolling in extra money, I would have just ordered one of everything from there, but I couldn't justify the extra expense on the big pieces, like the furniture. They are lovely though! I would just shop around, see what you like, and then order the RH one if your heart is still set on it. Sign up for their emails if you haven't already, b/c they seem like they send coupons out every month or so. Let us know what you choose, I'm sure it will be beautiful!

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 3:11:21 PM
Author: MustangGal
I probably wouldn''t dish out too much on a crib, we''ve hard ours 11 months, and Kyle''s starting to chew the end nearest the door
20.gif
. It has a plastic teething guard on it, but only on one side. A good dresser that you''ll use for a long time is probably a much better investment then a crib.
That''s an interesting point. If babies are chewing on them, are there any concerns about paint/toxins? I would be afraid of that with cheaper ones, but maybe even the cheaper ones come with a non-toxic guarantee? I''m also in the market for a crib so appreciate the thread.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I can''t talk b/c T''s crib was expensive and I love it. If you can afford it and love it go for it. But there are many affordable convertible cribs.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 4:41:49 PM
Author: lovinsparkles

Date: 1/11/2010 3:11:21 PM
Author: MustangGal
20.gif
That''s an interesting point. If babies are chewing on them, are there any concerns about paint/toxins? I would be afraid of that with cheaper ones, but maybe even the cheaper ones come with a non-toxic guarantee? I''m also in the market for a crib so appreciate the thread.
Well, they should all be lead-free at least, but I have no idea if the stain would have other toxins. He also chews on the coffee table.

My mom says I did the same thing to my crib, and it probably was lead based paint 30 years ago, and I seem to be just fine
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
some of the cribs will say something like 'non toxic paint finish' because the kids do knaw on them. i have had countless moms tell me not to bother with the converting crib because they are like you will want to get rid of that thing after 2-3 years due to how hard the kids are on them (esp boys). our PBK crib came with teething rails on both sides BUT there's no guarantee the kid won't knaw on the other 2 unprotected sides...they are taller BUT he will grow taller too!

i also found that 90% of the cribs out there, even cheapos, are converting now, to toddler and then full size. one of my other friends pointed out, when do you want your kid to have a full size bed? and do you think that you will REALLY want the same crib they had when they were born as their full size? i am all for ROI on your furniture investment as well but i kind of had to agree that potentially by the time the kid is 6-8 i both did not want him to have a full size BED all to himself (a twin is fine) AND maybe we are all a little sick of looking at the same headboard. hahaa.

so for us i figured toddler would be great and then after that we'll prob just get a twin for him. i love some of the basic twin beds from PBK and they are affordable ($400).

the dresser we bought was expensive, but it is a piece that i think we'll get more use out of than the crib.

it is actually amazing how some of the cheaper stuff looks really darn good from a finish perspective. def be sure to read reviews online for all the brands though because you might be surprised at how people say things like dresser drawers are unstable and don't roll right...or the crib rattles too much and is not that solid etc. all of those little things that could bother you over time.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Meresal, I encourage you to get whichever crib you prefer, that hopefully has good reviews. I wouldn''t let anyone discourage you from RH furniture simply because of price, if it''s within your budget. RH furniture is constructed with hardwood, unlike the rubberwood Babi Italia and other BRU cribs. There will always be a range of furniture in a range of prices. Get a crib that is safe and that you love!
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Ok ladies, I took your advice! I went to 3 stores that sell cribs on the way home from work, and I have deprived my growing baby of dinner in order to do my due dilligence in online searching for a crib that I love just as much, but with less of a price tag... and I can't, I really turely honestly can't.

I absolutely LOVE this thing, and to be honest, I will wrap the sides in plastic covering just to make sure it lasts all the way up to Full/Twin bed!
5.gif

It is classic and I know, that if it holds up, I will use this somewhere in my house for many many years to come!

Here is the style that we like. And we would be ordering it in white... however, I am not a fan of the dresser and the hardware that comes on it, so I will keep searching for something I possibly like more.

Restoration Hardware: Marlowe

Now just waiting on DH to get home, and press the "Order Complete" button, because I just can't! LOL!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
It''s very pretty. Please post pics of it when you get the room ready, I''m sure it will be gorgeous!
30.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks steph! I will be sure to post pictures!

These are a few pictures of the bedding we are contemplating at the moment. Trying to decide if it is too feminine or not?

Bedding ties - Kristaben Sydney Navy.JPG

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Yikes... huge! sorry.

Bedding whole 101 - Kristaben Sydney Navy.JPG

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mere, I think it''s beautiful! Heck, if we could afford it, I would love one just like it. BRU and Target are more our price range
emsmilep.gif
I didn''t love the other collections because the converted beds seemed to have really tall headboards and footboards but I think the Marlowe is perfect!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the bedding is too feminine...looks really cute!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool bedding, i love the blues. i had a really hard time finding bedding since we wanted green, but i saw so many great blues!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Mer-

The crib is beautiful! DH and I definitely spent more on the crib than we probably should have, but it was the only one we really loved. Well, take that back, we loved one more that was WAY too pricey, so we actually felt like we were going the economical route!
3.gif
We had just moved into our new house and we were really into decorating. In retrospect, we probably spent too much on the nursery, but considering how much time I spend in there, at least I still love looking at it.

And the paisley bedding is beautiful and not too feminine at all. Very soothing and sophisticated.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Cute crib! I love how it has the solid headboard when it converts as opposed to the slats like most other cribs have. The slatted headboards just aren''t my taste.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 11:30:36 AM
Author: puppmom
Mere, I think it''s beautiful! Heck, if we could afford it, I would love one just like it. BRU and Target are more our price range
emsmilep.gif
I didn''t love the other collections because the converted beds seemed to have really tall headboards and footboards but I think the Marlowe is perfect!
Pupp- Thank you! We really like the height as well, and think it will still be substantial as a headboard afterwards!

Steph and Mara- Thanks! I really like it, it is just pretty expensive and I''m thinking that bedding just isn''t worth it. I am on the hunt for something that looks really nice and custom, but doesn''t come with the price tag.

China- Thank you! I recently read an article that emphasized how much time you will be spending in the nursery, so make sure the design is something that makes you feel "good" as well. I liked hearing that.

oobiecoo- That is one of my big likes too. It really looks like something that you can use for years and years and years! I also noticed that the frame can convert into a Full or a Twin, which is great as well!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mere re the bedding, go on etsy.. they have all these fabric swatches and coordinated options, and people who make the bedding customizable for you and some places are really affordable. i looked on there for greens.

we didn't do a crib skirt after all because the PB crib is so good looking overall, you might find the same thing with your crib. some of the other cribs we saw had a lot of hardware visible so i would have wanted to hide it. so we just did a bumper from PBK and then i got sheets and that was it. and i did solid sheets since the bumper was patterned. i didn't want to get all crazy with patterns, i read a blog once where a mom said she would keep her kid's crib calmer with prints/patterns if she could do it again, she felt like he just wanted to play with the bedding rather than nap HAHA.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 3:15:13 PM

November- I will check out Baby Bargains. Thanks!

JT''s crib was a convertible and I think it was around $400 from Baby Depot. It seemed like a really great idea. But, he chewed the sides and we ended up taking him out of the crib and putting him in a cheap toddler bed so he couldn''t damage the crib anymore. We will use the crib again for this babe and then probably make it into the full-size bed for JT when babe is in a toddler bed.

In essence it''s a practical idea, but in practice, I''ve never known anyone to actually make the toddler bed out of it. Also, the price for the toddler conversion kit was about twice what we paid for a toddler bed.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara on the bedding. I would find fabric that you love, and have someone make the bumper and skirt (if you want one), then just pick up some coordinating solid sheets at Target or BRU.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results