shape
carat
color
clarity

Reset my spinel or not...that is the annual question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
How about a McTeigue & McClelland ring. I rather like the Flora one.

mc2-floraring.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
So do I. I''m visiting them this weekend. Ahh.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 9:30:48 PM
Author: Harriet
So do I. I''m visiting them this weekend. Ahh.

OMG lucky duck!! I soooo love the Flora and Bella Flora rings..way over any price range I''ll ever have in my lifetime but ohhh to dream! I bet they''re amazing in person!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think this stone really deserves a great setting, and (no offence) it wasn''t really set in something that would showcase it to it''s best. I agree with LTP that it actually looks great in that holder, LOL. And I''m with those who suggested two-tone designs - a pop of yellow gold would certainly bring out the richness of that red. But instead of plain two-tone I''d prefer going with yellow gold and white diamond melee, as the stone is a real beauty and should be set into something pretty spectacular. Is halo of white diamonds in yellow gold, with prongs on the center stone too crazy of an idea for you? I''d also try to keep the visibility of metal to a minimum, as one of the problems I think was that there was too much visual weight in the original setting; all that metal seemed to overwhelm the stone. Hope this kinda, sorta, maybe helps
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
another vote here for east-west M - I''m sorry, but I don''t think your current setting does the lovely stone any justice - hence I can understand your itch to upgrade.

I quite like the sound of ma re''s ideas above - as in, 18k YG and platinum with diamonds - however my vote would be no halo.
I''m not sure if you like their style, but how about diamond sides in something like this from CM?
Or I''m sure BGD could make something very similar and just as lovely.

In the interests of disclosure, I am considering something similar atm - agenda, me?
17.gif
41.gif

1002cm.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love the setting Kismet posted. Other than that, if you are still undecided send it to me. I''ll find good use for it!
9.gif
2.gif
3.gif

cheers--Sharon

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very yummy stone!!!
9.gif

I too like it in the holder. I think that the setting you pick should put the focus on the stone, not the setting. The shape of your current setting attracts attention, stealing attention from the stone.

So something with simple fluid lines. And I love the E/W idea.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2009 4:00:15 AM
Author: ma re
I think this stone really deserves a great setting, and (no offence) it wasn''t really set in something that would showcase it to it''s best. I agree with LTP that it actually looks great in that holder, LOL. And I''m with those who suggested two-tone designs - a pop of yellow gold would certainly bring out the richness of that red. But instead of plain two-tone I''d prefer going with yellow gold and white diamond melee, as the stone is a real beauty and should be set into something pretty spectacular. Is halo of white diamonds in yellow gold, with prongs on the center stone too crazy of an idea for you? I''d also try to keep the visibility of metal to a minimum, as one of the problems I think was that there was too much visual weight in the original setting; all that metal seemed to overwhelm the stone. Hope this kinda, sorta, maybe helps
9.gif

I''m grateful for your input. I don''t think there will be a problem keeping visibility of metal to a minimum with an east-west setting because the stone will cover most of my finger. I really like the idea of mixing metals but don''t want a halo. What do you think about using yellow diamonds rather than white? Maybe a simple yellow gold band & melee sandwiched between two platinum rims; perhaps burnished rather than shiny platinum?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone really pops without ANY bezeling IMHO. I would do a simple east/west Leon setting and the one posted above was exactly what I was thinking of!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view!!

basketleon.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
When I mentioned visibility of metal, I wasn''t just thinking about an area covered by metal, but maybe even more important - thickness and bulkiness of it; just to clarify. So I''d avoid wide bezels, thick bars or anything of the sort.

I like the idea of yellow melee in yellow gold bordered with platinum, sounds quite unusual, in a good way. So did you think about only those elements comprising the shank and stone just prong set sitting on that shank? Maybe a split shank would be better for that, like, each of the platinum edges leading to prongs, and a yellow gold/canary melee band leading up just to the split point?

P. S. When you say burnished, do you mean brushed/matee/satin finish...English is my 2nd language, sorry
9.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2009 1:30:01 PM
Author: ma re
When I mentioned visibility of metal, I wasn''t just thinking about an area covered by metal, but maybe even more important - thickness and bulkiness of it; just to clarify. So I''d avoid wide bezels, thick bars or anything of the sort.

I like the idea of yellow melee in yellow gold bordered with platinum, sounds quite unusual, in a good way. So did you think about only those elements comprising the shank and stone just prong set sitting on that shank? Maybe a split shank would be better for that, like, each of the platinum edges leading to prongs, and a yellow gold/canary melee band leading up just to the split point?

P. S. When you say burnished, do you mean brushed/matee/satin finish...English is my 2nd language, sorry
9.gif

We''re on the same wavelength -- no bulky metal. And yes, yes and ohhhhh yes to your entire 2nd paragraph. I think we have the same picture in hour heads. And you''re language skills are better than mine because I used "burnished" when my brain short circuited and I couldn''t remember brushed/matte/satin LOL. But yes, I think I''d like to play around with the idea of a brushed or matte finish. Prefer prongs rather than bezel, half-bezel, or bars and I would like the metal to flow in an organic way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results