shape
carat
color
clarity

Renewed search for an OEC deal

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea, there's a small inclusion on the table and some obstruction that's bothering me. I posted a few pics in RT.

MissPrudential, no, I've only seen the one webpage for the I2.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I saw that as well. But isn't the crown angle kind of off?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Crown looks fine to me. What looks off to you? It looks pretty nice!

eta: I do see inclusions reflected around the diamond. I'm pretty sure it's the same few, but due to its position and reflection it looks like there are many more. You will probably be able to see it. :(

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
But it's described as a VS2... maybe the inclusions wouldn't be too bad. And if it goes for less than Kim's budget, that might be nice. Plus, it's my understanding that this seller has a good return policy... though I've never bought from them (not yet, anyway :naughty: )

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I had a few concerns when I saw that diamond. The number on the egl report is for crown angle% not crown height?? If so, Isn't a 19.7% crown angle really low? I use the old european cut diamond chart as a guide on Pricescope to judge OECs. Also, the diamond is described as very thin to thin. Wouldn't that be a concern it could chip through wear? Also, from different angles, the diamond looks really yellow, so I wondered if that K color was a bit generous.

On the good side, that seller does have an excellent reputation on ebay. He also lists everything at true auction, so you can really score a deal with him.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
19 degrees would be low. 19% is not low at all. Percentage is not the same as degree of the crown angle.

If that girdle survived this long and it's fine, I'm sure it'll be fine for a while longer. If it really bothers people, it can be easily remedied by having a cutter facet the girdle.

It's an EGL K, which means I expect it to be GIA L-M. I expect GIA Ks to have a visible tint from the side, so I definitely expect EGL Ks to have a visible tint. What a buyer should do is compare that size oec with EGL reports of similar specs. Don't compare pricing with GIA diamonds.

That seller is good, but well known PS. That means his price has skyrocketed in recent months. ;(

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's been on ebay forever, and I always wondered what those vertical looking inclusions are in pics 5 & 6. They look like drill lines.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I missed seeing those. I did see the white table inclusion in the first pic. So it looks like this one's no good then.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1353084597|3307932 said:
I had a few concerns when I saw that diamond. The number on the egl report is for crown angle% not crown height?? If so, Isn't a 19.7% crown angle really low? I use the old european cut diamond chart as a guide on Pricescope to judge OECs. Also, the diamond is described as very thin to thin. Wouldn't that be a concern it could chip through wear? Also, from different angles, the diamond looks really yellow, so I wondered if that K color was a bit generous.

On the good side, that seller does have an excellent reputation on ebay. He also lists everything at true auction, so you can really score a deal with him.

19.7% crown height is actually very high. For comparison modern rounds have about a 12% crown height (or about that). EGL only ever provides percentages for crown and pavilion height and depth.

Very thin to this is not bad for a girdle. The one to worry about is extremely thin.

EGL graded it as a K, so it is what it is. By GIA standards that could be anywhere from K to N. The photos are color adjusted so can't judge based on those anyways.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
That is what I did not understand. I went back to Dave Atlas's chart. So GIA is Crown Angle and EGL is Crown Height. Now I see that at 19% Height, the crown is fine and it does makes more sense with some of the other diamonds listed.

Not sure how much they adjust for color in their photos, but for me that diamond looks very tinted.

I also was not very crazy about the last diamond posted. I thought the 3.04 carat one on their website was much nicer.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I think PSers are used to looking at white facing diamond pictures on here, and the expectation has been skewed. GIA L-M will have a very visible tint from the side, no way around it. It's really important that people go into stores and actually see what these colors look like in person, otherwise they might be really disappointed when their expectation doesn't match up to reality.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The white balance in all of the photos that seller uses are really wonky, and maybe brightness and contrast too. Makes it impossible to judge color. And you can't judge from photos anyways. The lab report is the way to judge the color, which is in the faint yellow range most likely (K-M by GIA standards). I agree the photos make the color look odd. I doubt it looks much like that in person (so lemony). But its a tinted stone, as are all stones in the K-M range.

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1353176122|3308827 said:
The white balance in all of the photos that seller uses are really wonky, and maybe brightness and contrast too. Makes it impossible to judge color. And you can't judge from photos anyways. The lab report is the way to judge the color, which is in the faint yellow range most likely (K-M by GIA standards). I agree the photos make the color look odd. I doubt it looks much like that in person (so lemony). But its a tinted stone, as are all stones in the K-M range.

do you think they tint their pictures to protect themselves from buyer complaints?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I don't think they do. Have you ever seen a GIA L-M in person, against a white background, under proper lighting? It looks like that picture. EGL K is likely GIA L-M, so I expect to see that kind of color against a white background.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1353173830|3308806 said:
That is what I did not understand. I went back to Dave Atlas's chart. So GIA is Crown Angle and EGL is Crown Height. Now I see that at 19% Height, the crown is fine and it does makes more sense with some of the other diamonds listed.

Ruby, if you look at the reports, you'll see that one has the degree (tiny o) symbol and one has the percentage (%) symbol. The diagrams will also indicate whether they are measure the angle or the height. That's easier than remembering which lab uses what. Hope that helps.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Ariel, the attached link shows a 1.40 carat diamond.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, that's odd, it was the right link yesterday.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think OWD changes the listings that are attached to the links (or it happens accidentally). I was coming back to a particular stone of theirs over the course of several days, and then it suddenly changed. I started checking others, and they were changed too.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mercoledi, thanks, I remember when that stone was first posted on PS--it's so pretty, and it looks like it's sold in the last week. What a great deal!

Ariel, thanks for the link, that's a beautiful stone. I wonder if there's any room for negotiation, as it's over my budget.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Do not mean to hijack, but I am also looking for my dream diamond, so I inquired with Adam at OWD about the above stone, but only after the OP said she was not interested in it. He sent me the EGL report and a video. I have one question. Everything looks great but the pavilion% is 38.8. I go by Dave Atlas' chart to help me, and it shows that as a Class 4. Is this a concern?

Oh, and to answer another question, yes, Adam told me that for some reason diamonds do occasionally switch on a given link which is why he asked me to email the stock no. as well.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1354289903|3319247 said:
Do not mean to hijack, but I am also looking for my dream diamond, so I inquired with Adam at OWD about the above stone, but only after the OP said she was not interested in it. He sent me the EGL report and a video. I have one question. Everything looks great but the pavilion% is 38.8. I go by Dave Atlas' chart to help me, and it shows that as a Class 4. Is this a concern?

Oh, and to answer another question, yes, Adam told me that for some reason diamonds do occasionally switch on a given link which is why he asked me to email the stock no. as well.

What did Adam say about the performance? Can you post the video? and the report? It surely looks like a nice large Old cut and very white in the picture.
Which chart?...the one on old cuts?

Oh yes this stone looks very nice...hope it is the one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxuHlSLO0C0

This thread has helped many PS'rs looking for a large OEC. Thanks for posting. Love to see all that is available out there.

I like the 3.13c J SI1 too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYPOZn0BP4&list=UL
but i would assume the K is cheaper.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
So embarrassing, but I do not know how to post pictures, etc.

So as described by Adam:

It is a beautiful stone. Perfect cut. Faces up extremely white and bright.

And from the EGL report

3.15 CT
Old European
9.33 X 9.28 X5.66
17.9%
38.8%
Medium
Medium
VG
G
VS1
K
Faint

EGLUSA
October 22, 2012 Los Angeles

Someone, please explain the 38.8% pavilion. Yes Ariel I use Dave atlas's chart listed under articles. He considers that a Class 4.

Looks bright, but not much colored light. Does the pavilion% have something to do with that???
I can totally relate to the poster on Rocky Talk who is not happy with her pear because it does not have much fire.

Yes that is the same video Adam sent me. Funny, but the link once again changed back to the 1.40 carat diamond.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1354294735|3319313 said:
So embarrassing, but I do not know how to post pictures, etc.

So as described by Adam:

It is a beautiful stone. Perfect cut. Faces up extremely white and bright.

And from the EGL report

3.15 CT
Old European
9.33 X 9.28 X5.66
17.9%
38.8%
Medium
Medium
VG
G
VS1
K
Faint

EGLUSA
October 22, 2012 Los Angeles

Someone, please explain the 38.8 depth pavilion. Yes Ariel I use Dave atlas's chart listed under articles. He considers that a Class 4.

Looks bright, but not much colored light. Does the pavilion% have something to do with that???
I can totally relate to the poster on Rocky Talk who is not happy with her pear because it does not have much fire.

Yes that is the same video Adam sent me. Funny, but the link once again changed back to the 1.40 carat diamond.

Probably because it has a nice high crown of 18% which obviously leaves less room for the pavilion but old cuts are so loved for their really high crowns and small tables. Also hard to find a VG/G on an old cut. The depth is in the ideal range for a MRB so is more shallow than most old cuts. I like it very much. If you start a new thread on the pavilion question maybe some experts will weigh in on that.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
A shallow pavillion with a high crown will probably exhibit some kind of fisheye or funky girdle reflection, but you really have to see it to judge. I have one that has similar numbers, and you can see some of the frosted girdle reflected. However, it's a super bright stone and shows amazing scintilation, and you'd have to be as close as 6 inches away to see the reflection. I wear it on my neck and I can't see the girdle reflection, so it's the perfect pendant stone... but I wouldn't choose it for a ring. Plus it only cost $1600 for a 1.39ct, so that kind of swayed my decision too!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies. I do not have a good eye and am still learning. Fortekitty, did you see the video posted? Can that be seen in the video or do you have to see the diamond in person? Trying to be able to identify a good stone from pictures and videos and Dave Atlas's chart, if that is even possible. I would prefer not to have to buy a diamond I am not sure about and then have to send it back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results