shape
carat
color
clarity

remember your first car? did your parents spoil you with a brand new car ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
never forget my first car (in 1976) it was a hand me down 1962 Oldsmobile Holiday from my older brother,talk about power brakes. the first time i drove it i barely tap on the brakes and my head almost went through the windshield.
23.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a Volkswagon Scirocco but it was gently used. One owner. Dark metallic green with beige interior, Blaupunkt tape deck, sunroof. I liked it a lot. I did get a fair number of nicks and dings and my mom was glad that I did not have a brand new car as my first car, I tended to open my doors into things, like other cars. Runaway shopping carts also hit my car a lot

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
In 1998 I was on the receiving end of a 5 speed Volvo. Diesel. 1981. Bought for $1k. It left my hands about a year later when it welded it''s engine together and the mechanic told my mom to get rid of it ASAP. So we traded it in (for $1k!) for a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. Which I didn''t really want, but my dad knew the owner so I had to pick out a Pontiac, Buick or GMC. I picked Pontiac.

And then got rid of it two years later for what I really wanted-2001 Honda Prelude. Which I won''t sell EVER. YAY!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. My parents bought a used Plymouth Volare, thing wouldn''t shut off. It would go into convulsions, like it was having a seizure. It was a fugly car. But was lucky to have a car. It got me to where I needed to go.
1.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Dodge Monaco I bought from a friend who said it needed a new battery. She charged it so I could drive it home. My and friend/roomate when out to sit in the car just excited to be in my very car and we turned on the radio. A friends brother came over to see what we were doing and we told him we were listening to the radion because we couldn''t drive it as it needed a new battery.

He looked at us like we were martians and told us that if the radio was playing, there was charge.
6.gif
So we turned the ignitiona and viola, the engire fired up and we were staring at each other laughing at how dumb we were to not realized that the drive home charged the battery.
38.gif

We drove for at least an hour that night. It was awesome.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
miracle, muwahahaha, your story is the best!!
lol.gif

My ex helped me choose my first car. It was a 1990 Mazda Protege, purchased in 2002. It had 250k miles on it already, a huge crack on the windshield, and I bought it for $1,100. It was a manual transmission, so ex taught me how to drive it. It looked like a piece of crap but it had AC and Power everything, although the windows couldn''t decide if it wanted power or not most of the time. It ran beautifully, but in 2004 I bumped into my friend''s car and trashed it. My friend''s car was unscathed.

My parents insisted that I buy a brand new car, so I humbly accepted their money to buy a Civic in 2005. It had AC, but no power mirrors, windows, nor locks. I only drove on the weekends so I didn''t care. In 2006 I drove into a wall on a freeway and totaled my 10 month old car. Because I accumulated less than 6,000 miles in 10 months, I got more money for it than what I paid for.

4 months later I bought a 2007 Fit, and her name is Mighty Nibbles. I plan to make this my child''s first car, if I''m not clumsy anymore.

hairgirl95

Shiny_Rock
lol choro at the mighty nibbles! That is such a cute name! My first car was a 1988 Ford Tempo. It was a total piece of JUNK! Leaked oil like the Exxon Valdez disaster, and it was very temperamental. It would only start when it felt like it. Stranded me at Walmart, on the side of a highway, and in the school parking lot. I ended up biking to work more often than driving because it wouldn''t start half the time. I have owned about 10 cars since then, but I will always remember that temperamental tempo! (they say attitude is all in the name! lol)

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My parents spoiled me. I''m not even going to lie. However, for me, getting a car wasn''t really a big deal. My dad took me to a Toyota and I think Mercedes and I was like, okay whatever. I spent more time studying in high school than worrying about a stupid car, So in the end, he got me a Toyota 4Runner. and I have to admit that I liked my car. It was red and had black leather interior.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My parents never would have purchased me (or my brothers) a car, they wanted us to work for our luxuries. In 1985 I bought for $2000 a 1981 Toyota Tercel, grey with black vinyl seats... lovely to sit on in the summer. Even though I couldn''t drive one, I really wanted a manual transmission because it was way cooler than an automatic. Dad had to drive it off the lot but I learned shortly thereafter. I drove that car for the next nine years at which point the gas tank rusted out.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I was driving in 1995, and my first car was a 1984 Mitsubishi Tredia with about 150,000 miles on it. I had to save up $800 I think it was in babysitting/piano lesson money to pay to use it, too. My friends made fun of it a little because it had all kinds of wonky things going on with it (like that the heat was ALWAYS on, even when the controls were set to 'off' so in the middle of summer it was MISERABLE, and the AC didn't work of course, and after a while it couldn't go faster than 40mph without the steering wheel and driver's seat shaking like crazy). But it ran, and I loved it!

Northern Lights

Rough_Rock

My parents bought me a new Honda Civic, but I think it was more of a necessity since taking the bus in S.Cal was/is considered dangerous.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know anyone whose parents bought them a car, although lately I have met some people whose parents have held on to an old car and let the offspring sort of timeshare it between them.

I bought my first car, with my own hard earned cash, back in 2002. At the time I couldn''t believe my good luck to be able to afford a 2000 car. And I still have her
9.gif

This is her!

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I worked Friday nights and Saturdays in high school at a dry cleaners pressing clothes, and saved that money along with babysitting in order to buy my first car. I''ll never forget it -- it was a red 1966 pony Mustang that I got for $1800 in 1982!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents bought me (and my twin sister) a car that I loved! We had to share, but my older siblings had to share a car too when they were both driving, so it wasn''t just the twins that got stuck sharing. We got a 1984 Volvo 240. Silver with navy interior and a manual transmission. Such a good first car-I hit so much stuff in that car and it never had a mark! The big black rubber bumpers helped.

The electrical system was wonky (I would use the turn signal and the car would die in the middle of me driving it!) so my dad sold it and got us a Saturn which I absolutely hated. I hate Saturns. Sorry to anyone who owns one, but I just can''t stand how they look! I was pretty bummed out, and it was part of my Christmas present but I just hated it, so I was not excited, but I pretended to be. My mom knew I hated it, though, because I had said several times how much I hated Saturns! Oh well-beggars can''t be choosers!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
My parents gave me a used 1969 Plymouth Barracuda fastback in 1971. I thought I was styling.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
My dad apparently likes to surprise people with cars....he surprised my mom and brother with new cars...

When I was in High School, he surprised me with a used Jeep Grand Cherokee - had about 50,000 miles on it - and I absolutely adored that car. I would still be driving it today if it hadn''t conked out on me multiple times....although, i still loved her
1.gif

Unexpectedly, my dad surprised me with a new car my sophomore year of college - when he decided he had invested enough money into the Jeep and it was time to just let it go and cut the loss. I never expected another car out of my parents, but my dad was in a very generous mood one Valentine''s Day and surprised me with my red mustang that I still drive today - I love my car
9.gif
and my dad
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2008 6:45:44 AM
Author: Kismet
My parents never would have purchased me (or my brothers) a car, they wanted us to work for our luxuries.
Kismet, my parents were the same way. I got my learner''s permit in 1994, and started learning to drive on my Mom''s Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra. I think I scared her! LOL!
9.gif

I had a part-time job at the time, and really wanted my own car. (And, of course, my Mom really wanted me to get my own car!) So my grandmother loaned me the money to buy my first car . . . a 1990 Hyundai Excel hatchback. It was a pretty cool car among my group of friends, and it was only four years old at the time, which was nice. And I loved the color! It was kind of a deep berry-burgundy color . . . you would want lipstick or nail polish in that color! LOL!
21.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I grew up with no money at all, but we farmers are handy! I worked and bought a 1965 Mustang 289 for $600 when I was 14 and my father and I spent every Tuesday and Thursday night restoring that car for 2 years. By the time I turned 16 it was beautiful--we painted it cherry red and it had black interior. I loved that car. I drove it for 2 months before I totalled it on my way to get breakfast one day. I wasn't hurt, but when I looked at the car for the first time after the accident, I was so upset that I vomitted. It's still one of the worst days of my life.

I didn't buy another car for 5 years--I saved up my money and bought a 2000 Hyundai Elantra that DH and I still drive to this day....160,000 miles later.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
In 1991 my parents bought me a baby blue 1983 Buick Skylark with a white top (not convertible).
Basically, my parents were sharing a mini-van so I think they welcomed having another driver to tote my younger siblings to their activities.

I remember before that car the whole family would leave the house together in the van, drop my Dad off at work on the other end of town, come almost back home to drop my Mom (who is a teacher) and my lil sis and bro to the school complex, and then drive myself to the high school (in a minivan). Then after school go pick up my Mom and siblings, they''d drive me to work at the mall and go home for a little bit before picking up my Dad at work after 5:00. Then someone would have to go get me after 9:00 from my job. Thank goodness it was part time.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents assisted me in buying a used (but relatively newish) Nissan Altima. I drove that thing into the ground...in fact my hubby and I JUST traded it in this year when we finally determined that it was getting unsafe to drive!

My parents paid a modest downpayment in addition to mine and then I paid the payments (which were very reasonable) for 5 years. So they certainly didn't buy it for me, but helped me make it affordable for me with my after school job.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse w/sunroof; I worked 2 summers and earned about $3,000 and my parents paid the rest since it was a brand new car. They knew I could not work and maintain successful grades. I guess if I was the person I am now; I would not have let that happen, oh well, it was too sweet of my parents.

I did drive that car for 8 years.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
My parents did buy me a new car when I was 16. It''s nothing fancy, but it is very reliable and very safe. I suppose that means I fall into the spoiled category. I certainly am glad they did buy something new though because nearly 10 years later, I am still driving that same car. I probably won''t get a new one until the wheels fall off because I am just not a car person.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My first car was a 1976 (if I remember correctly) Datsun 260z..., remember those??

I bought it salvaged and fixed it slowly..., it was an awesome car for those days!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I started driving in 1994 and I was given my mom''s first car, a 1982 Ford Mustang (the little one with a 4 cylinder engine); it was yellow and I called it Nuprin (remember the old ads, "Little, yellow, different.") It was falling apart, and I never actually drove it, I sold it for $500 and with the cash and some more money I had saved I put a down payment on a 1994 Ford Ranger, totally stripped (it didn''t even have a stereo when I bought it for $7995). I drove that truck for 8 years.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom never let me drive her car, nor would she buy me one. I finally bought a used 1975 Dodge Charger with some money my grandmother left me. That car was fast, and fun.
9.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
My sisters, brother, and I ALL had to buy our first cars. Mine was with money that my parents put in a savings account when I was born. So with $5000, in 1998, I bought myself a gorgeous 94'' Honda Prelude, old body style... (sorry Freke, but I''m kinda partial
2.gif
) . I had it until May 2002, when I graduated, and my parents bought me what had been my dream car since it was released to the US in ''01, a brand new 2002 Lexus IS300. My parents are the greatest. This may sound lame, but I did cry when I had to sell the prelude. However, tears turned to smiles when I shot off down a backroad at 120 mph (I haven''t gone that fast in it since. Probably not even over 95)!! I still drive it, and will continue to until the engine falls out. I love it. My parents just signed the title over to me this past May. It''s MY baby now!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 10:24:29 AM
Author: Ellen
My mom never let me drive her car, nor would she buy me one. I finally bought a used 1975 Dodge Charger with some money my grandmother left me. That car was fast, and fun.
9.gif
What color? hehe

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I worked to buy my first car. My dad helped me in choosing since he is a mechanic. After looking for a few weeks (what can I say, I was an impatient teen), the only 2 options I could afford were a maroon buick skylar that was a few years old, with low miles, and that was super-well taken care of by his friend, who was willing to give me a great deal on it, and a silver eagle talon with tons of miles, a cracked manifold, and a turbo engine that my neighbor was selling because he couldn''t afford to fix it. And guess which one I bought? What can I say, it only lasted about 2 years, but man did I look hot driving that silver talon with the turbo engine!
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 10:49:28 AM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 7/8/2008 10:24:29 AM
Author: Ellen
9.gif
What color? hehe
Silver.
bat%20eyes3.gif
With maroon interior, which was not what I would pick, but beggars can''t be choosers!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
My parents did buy me a car...I had a choice: Sweet 16 or new car. I think I chose wisely.
10.gif
I did have to pay my insurance, does that make a difference?
9.gif

Anyway, they got me a ''99 Nissan Altima--manual transmission--they insisted I learn stick shift. I drove that car up until two years ago when I blew that transmission driving on all these NY hills! It was a great car and I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results