shape
carat
color
clarity

Regional/Home-style Food

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:20:24 PM
Author: fieryred33143

Mofongo (fried plantains with fried chicken/pork/any meat you want cooked in chicken broth and served in a small bowl)

Pastelon or in PR they call it pinon (think lasagna but with plantains)

Arroz con gandules (I think its rice and chick peas??)

Sancocho (DR soup with rice, plantains, chicken, yucca, potatoes, LOL)
And for deserts: Arroz con leche (rice with milk) and dulce de leche
36.gif
I'll second the Mofongo girl (I love it with Shrimp)...yum!!! I'm not PRican but my BF's fam is and his grandmother could make a mean one! Now we have it at a great restaurant in Harlem...almost as good. I had it in PR last year, on the beach...it was to.die.for. Also, the arroz con gandules (which is a PRican/Dominican specialty) is made with Pigeon Peas...one of my favs.

I'm Colombian and we have similar foods. Some that I am longing for right now include:

Empanadas - Cornmeal stuffed with a meat/potato mixture, shaped into a crescent and then deep fried!
Sancocho - Soup w/ chicken and beef on-the-bone, plaintains, yuca, potatoes, corn and cilantro (so good!)
Tamales - cornmeal packlets stuffed with a rice, chick pea and chicken mixture and then wrapped in banana leaves and steamed
Arroz con frijoles - Rice and beans (black or red...or any kind will do)
Sopa de Plantano - like Sancocho but with more plaintains and a lot of cilantro...a thicker soup
Plato Montanero - a plate of rice, beans, a fried egg, skirt steak and onions, tostones (deep fried/smashed plaintains) and chicharrón (a thick cut of pork fat that is deep fried and oh-so-crispy and delicious, AND VERY BAD FOR YOUR ARTERIES!).

Desserts:

Flan
Anything w/ Arequipe (which is a fancy Colombian name for Dulce de Leche)
Cafe con Leche...mostly milk w/ a touch of coffee...like my abuelita used to make for me...
39.gif

As for area foods: I live in NY but am originally from Boston...

Regional foods include:

Lobster (or Lobstah)
Clams (w/ the bellies!!!) fried or steamed
Clam chowder- New England style only, thank you!
Any seafood really...
Baked Beans? LOL I don't know...didn't they originate in Boston?
Boston Cream Pie? LOL

ETA: How could I forget! Freshly picked concord grapes...MY FAVORITE.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 8:00:38 AM
Author: Delster
OK can someone remind me again what biscuits are in the States? Because over here they're what you call cookies and you sure as anything don't eat them with gravy!!!
33.gif

The one food that reminds me of home is Irish brown soda bread with a thick layer of Kerrygold Irish Butter, topped with wafer thin slices of smoked salmon and a drizzle of lemon juice
18.gif
My mother always whips this up for special occasions, and especially at Christmas.

Foods Irish people always mourn for when they're abroad:

Proper Irish tea (Barrys or Lyons, not that Twinings stuff, yuck!
14.gif
)

Tayto crisps (these are so much the definite Irish potato chip that some people just call all brands of crisps 'Taytos' - they come in salt & vinegar, cheese & onion, and smokey bacon flavours)

Cadburys chocolate (the Cadburys you buy in the States is nowhere near the real deal, it's made by Hersheys and tastes like cardboard in comparison to 'real' chocolate)

Rashers (streaky bacon) and sausages

And when I'm in the States I just long for nice bread. All the bread over your side of the pond is so sooofffft!!! Sandwiches and rolls need a crust people!
2.gif

I'm sure bee can think of more!
35.gif

Yum!!! That sounds delicious! I may have to whip up some soda bread.

And Delster, if you ever make it over to the US, you'll have to visit us. I have a big box of Barry's tea in the cupboard and Kris makes our bread from scratch every couple days, so it's properly crusty.

I miss rashers so much--I found one place that carried them when I lived in LA (an Irish import store), but they were frozen and not as good as the ones you can actually get in the UK/Ireland. Now I want a proper fry-up!

ETA: Lorelei is right about biscuits, sort of like soft scones or dry flakey crumpets. Having them with sausage cream gravy is a relatively common breakfast in the Southern US.

ETA2: Speaking of biscuits, I miss dark chocolate hobnobs! There's nothing quite like them here.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''m from Florida
Some of my must haves are :

Fried Okra
Pickled Okra
Fried Green Tomatoes
Frog Legs
Gator Tail
Fish of any sort
Shell fish of any sort
Corn, creamed, grilled, boiled, you name it
sweet potato casserole
egg/sausage casserole
cranberry/orange sauce
fresh salads
oranges
fresh orange juice
grapefruit
tangerines
kumquat/loquat
tangelos
persimmons
figs
watermelon
fresh honey
potato salad
egg salad
cole slaw
deviled eggs

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 8:29:04 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 8/6/2008 8:07:05 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 8/6/2008 6:23:02 PM
Oh gosh Storm, your list sounds DELICIOUS!
3.gif

9.gif

funny thing is I can and have cooked everything on that list :}
actually left a few off:
Chicken and rice with
Hey Storm you forgot your Fried Rice
31.gif

Holly, I love Cobbler, I am now craving it
11.gif
3.gif
Do you have a good cobbler recipe??
18.gif
Well, I personally haven''t made peach cobbler, ''cause you can get the good stuff at so many restaurants in Texas; but, I do have some ''local yokel'' cookbooks such as the AGGIE MOMS COOKBOOK, and the JUNION LEAGUE COOKBOOK, so I''m betting I can come up with one for you. I''ll give it a look!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 7:00:12 PM
Author: HollyS

Date: 8/6/2008 8:29:04 PM

Hey Storm you forgot your Fried Rice
31.gif

Holly, I love Cobbler, I am now craving it
11.gif
3.gif
Do you have a good cobbler recipe??
18.gif
Well, I personally haven't made peach cobbler, 'cause you can get the good stuff at so many restaurants in Texas; but, I do have some 'local yokel' cookbooks such as the AGGIE MOMS COOKBOOK, and the JUNION LEAGUE COOKBOOK, so I'm betting I can come up with one for you. I'll give it a look!
Oh goodness gracious that sounds delicious! I went over to a friends house and she is from the South and she whipped out a cobbler in a matter of minutes, the problem is that she doesn't measure anything and throws it all together so I couldn't replicate the one she made.
39.gif

I love local yokel!
9.gif
Holly, I am jealous the restaurants in TX have cobbler as a standard on all the menus
5.gif
*Skippers goes off to pout!*

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 2:05:45 PM
Author:Elmorton

Pickled beets - pickled with red hots (yes, the candy)

oh my!! i am going to google this and try this immediately. i love beets, i love red hots, i love the sounds of this!!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
They''re super sweet and cinnamony! I love how all of my "midwest faves" are completely taken over by 50''s working-women shortcuts, since both my grandmothers worked - I don''t have a recipe for the beets, but all of my other recipes for pickling, salads, casseroles, etc have quick shortcuts and "easy" in the title. :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like HH and Basil, I grew up in New England, so anything with seafood is comfort food to me.

HH -- I knew shepard''s pie was traditionally made with lamb but I never knew it actually has another name if it''s made with beef. Now knowing this, I LOVE cottage pie but hate shepard''s pie (I won''t eat lamb).

My mom never really learned to cook, and she tends to like bland food, so our staple meals at home when I was growing up were steak, swordfish, potatoes, rice, spaghetti and meatballs, and various simple recipes using chicken. My parents never were into casseroles, so we never had them when I was younger. I LOVE casseroles, and I''m always looking for healthy casserole recipes.

As far as heritage goes, I''m Irish and Portuguese. I remember eating kale soup when I was little, but I don''t anymore. My parents never really cooked anything from Ireland or Portugal.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I never knew that about shepherd's pie, either! I made it (the ground beef version, so cottage) for DH when we were dating, and he had no idea what I was talking about until I served it - then he said "OH! In my house, we call this Green Bean Casserole" - that's what they called it at his daycare when he was little (to me, Green Bean Casserole is green beans in cream of mushroom soup topped with fried onions).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results