shape
carat
color
clarity

Regional/Home-style Food

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
After reading Judith Jones'' memoir last week and now with Pandora''s Haggis thread, I''m really curious about food. What are the foods that remind you of home/your regional/native culture? The more interesting the better :)

Here are some of mine (probably not all that exotic):

Back in the regional language thread, I remember someone mentioning jellos with coordinating fruits/veggies - YES! Gross concept, but so good. For me, a meal that would bring me "home" (Midwestern US) would be some sort of hot, roasted sliced meat, mashed potatoes, thin gravy (because it''s actually made from the drippings, minimal on the corn starch), corn, green beans...but all this is best when it''s getting mixed in with the orange jello with carrots in it. Or green jello with celery, etc. Everlasting cole slaw (vinegar based). The plate is always completely cold and half mixed together by the time you''re about a 1/4 of the way through the meal.

I love fried okra and pan-fried chicken (the breading isn''t crispy), too. Fried green tomatoes - not just a movie.

Sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper served as a side dish, or the long tiny onions- just dip them in salt as you eat them on their own

Venison jerky

Refrigerator sweet pickles...they''re bright green, super sweet, and you can''t find anything like them in the store.

Pickled beets - pickled with red hots (yes, the candy)

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I''m from Maryland (the DC area) so a summer must-have is white corn, hush puppies (it can be hard to find good hushpuppies in MD, since they''re more of a Southern specialty), and blue crabs. I can''t think of anything else that is really "regional" in our food here, but a crab feast is a summer tradition.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Green chile enchiladas. Red chile enchiladas. Refried beans. Spanish rice. Pretty much anything with either red or green chile. Ummm...I dunno. Sopapillas....

I need Skippy and MonkeyPie''s help.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif
This is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Biscochitos (very New Mexican, I love these; I see them at xmas and weddings) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscochitos
Tortillas
Green Chile Stew
Menudo (I don't like)
Tamales
Beef Jerky (homemade)
chicharrones (I love these) pork fat fried
Panocha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panocha
Empandas (I love the fruit filled ones not the minced meat ones) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanadas
Sopapillas (like Freke, love them with honey)
Flan
Indian Fried Bread (very similar to sopapillas)
calabasitas (corn, zucchini,etc)
Chicos (dried corn and then made with pieces of pork, I loved this stuff)
chimichangas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimichanga
Burritos and breakfast burritos

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!!

I''ll just ditto Skippy. I couldn''t think of anything for the life of me!!!!!

And I love love love calabasitas. The restaurant at the bottom of the Tram makes it really really well...

I should make it sometime, minus the fact that FF doesn''t like corn...Maybe I''ll just make it for me!

BTW- now you have me craving green chile stew....

krispi

Shiny_Rock
I will always have a special place in my heart for good corn bread, butter beans, black eyed peas, and yes - even corned beef hash. My mom doesn''t cook a lot of traditional down-home, southern foods. Since her mom passed away, I don''t get to eat them very often.
8.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 2:20:38 PM
Author: aprilcait
I''m from Maryland (the DC area) so a summer must-have is white corn, hush puppies (it can be hard to find good hushpuppies in MD, since they''re more of a Southern specialty), and blue crabs. I can''t think of anything else that is really ''regional'' in our food here, but a crab feast is a summer tradition.
Aprilcait, my BF has a friend who lives in MD, and we went up to Ocean City last year to visit. I got to see the all you can eat blue crab for the first time. (I had the crab cakes instead, but my BF LOVES blue crab!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 2:49:07 PM
Author: FrekeChild
YAY!!!!

I'll just ditto Skippy. I couldn't think of anything for the life of me!!!!!

And I love love love calabasitas. The restaurant at the bottom of the Tram makes it really really well...

I should make it sometime, minus the fact that FF doesn't like corn...Maybe I'll just make it for me!

BTW- now you have me craving green chile stew....
Freke, haha, all the food pops in my head; I think it is because I don't really like it except for maybe 5 things on that list. hehe I think part of it is that I am super allergic to green chile. I can eat red chile but I only like it (here i thought of another one) posole and tamles. My parents love calabsitas (it has green chile, no?) I am also like your boyfriend, I don't like corn in stuff unless it is on the cob. Hubby loves the Green chile stew at Golden Pride/Frontier; I love the tortillas there. Do you like Biscochitos?? I love those!!!
18.gif

Posole is another. hehe

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Where I grew up was a mix of good southern food, cajun, and mexican foods.

My mom makes the BEST fried chicken and used to only buy her chicken at this little grocery store/ butcher shop at the end of our street. It was sooo good. I also LOVE boudain uncooked and from that same shop. They sold "head cheese" that was homemade and my grandma used to eat alll the time. I never tried it but I still want to. It looked really good and way better than the gelatinous kind at the regular grocery (which I''ve never had either). We ate lots of cheese enchiladas and tamales, fried green tomatos, fried okra, add CRAWFISH with corn and potatos! Oh and we''re Italian-American so spaghetti is probably my BIGGEST comfort food.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Fried Chicken Gizzards or Chicken-Fried steak ALWAYS make me feel like home. I often make them myself when I''m homesick.

Also, any casserole. I''m a HUGE casserole fan.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:15:54 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Fried Chicken Gizzards or Chicken-Fried steak ALWAYS make me feel like home. I often make them myself when I'm homesick.

Also, any casserole. I'm a HUGE casserole fan.
My hubby Loves Grits and Chicken fried Chicken!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I am half Puerto Rican (dad's side) and half Dominican (mom's side).

My it's good to be home food consists of but is not limited to
3.gif
:

Mofongo (fried plantains with fried chicken/pork/any meat you want cooked in chicken broth and served in a small bowl)

Pastelon or in PR they call it pinon (think lasagna but with plantains)

Arroz con gandules (I think its rice and chick peas??)

Sancocho (DR soup with rice, plantains, chicken, yucca, potatoes, LOL)

Pasteles
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
My favorite. I can't even describe it but I love it.

Others that aren't related to PR or DR: NY style pizza! But it has to have the orange grease that pours...not drips...down the slice. Yummy
18.gif

And for deserts: Arroz con leche (rice with milk) and dulce de leche
36.gif

Skippy: What are biscochitos for you? That's cake for us

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:14:06 PM
Author: Skippy123
Freke, haha, all the food pops in my head; I think it is because I don't really like it except for maybe 5 things on that list. hehe I think part of it is that I am super allergic to green chile. I can eat red chile but I only like it (here i thought of another one) posole and tamles. My parents love calabsitas (it has green chile, no?) I am also like your boyfriend, I don't like corn in stuff unless it is on the cob. Hubby loves the Green chile stew at Golden Pride/Frontier; I love the tortillas there. Do you like Biscochitos?? I love those!!!
18.gif

Posole is another. hehe
That sucks that you're allergic to green chile!!!Oh my gosh, I think I'd have allergic reactions all of the time--willingly! I love pretty much everything. BF grew up on chile, rice and beans and won't eat chile anymore because he got sick of it-which sucks for me! What's funny is that his family owns a New Mexican restaurant, and whenever we go he gets the food without chile. Calabasitas has green chile, unfortunately. BF doesn't even like corn on the cob. He has texture issues, and corn happens to be one of them. Lol

I will have to try the green chile stew at Golden Pride/Frontier. I've had their posole, and it was pretty great, but not the green chile stew! I also love their tortillas. Soooooo yummy!

Who doesn't love biscochitos?! How can someone not love them?! Yum!

I need to take more advantage of NM food, I just decided.

ETA: Fiery, for us Biscochitos are cookies (traditionally made with lard) that have anise seeds in them, and are coated on the outside with sugar/cinnamon. They are usually made around Christmas time. What are the cakes like?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:23:15 PM

That sucks that you''re allergic to green chile!!!Oh my gosh, I think I''d have allergic reactions all of the time--willingly! I love pretty much everything. BF grew up on chile, rice and beans and won''t eat chile anymore because he got sick of it-which sucks for me! What''s funny is that his family owns a New Mexican restaurant, and whenever we go he gets the food without chile. Calabasitas has green chile, unfortunately. BF doesn''t even like corn on the cob. He has texture issues, and corn happens to be one of them. Lol

I will have to try the green chile stew at Golden Pride/Frontier. I''ve had their posole, and it was pretty great, but not the green chile stew! I also love their tortillas. Soooooo yummy!

Who doesn''t love biscochitos?! How can someone not love them?! Yum!

My sister hates biscochitos which I think is funny. Her MIL makes them and she gives them too me which makes me happy! I LOVE them! I am soooo Happy you Love them because I know lots of people who don''t love them but for some reason I get super happy to find someone else who likes them!
36.gif
I love to make them too but they are hard work. hehe I can''t take advantage of NM food, it all sticks to my behind. haha
2.gif
41.gif

Yes, try the green chile stew from there; hubby loves it and eats it w/their yummy tortillas. I do love their Breakfastburritos from there and their Cholestrolls (if you know what I mean? hehehe
9.gif
11.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:23:15 PM

Date: 8/6/2008 3:14:06 PM
Freke, haha, all the food pops in my head; I think it is because I don''t really like it except for maybe 5 things on that list. hehe I think part of it is that I am super allergic to green chile. I can eat red chile but I only like it (here i thought of another one) posole and tamles. My parents love calabsitas (it has green chile, no?) I am also like your boyfriend, I don''t like corn in stuff unless it is on the cob. Hubby loves the Green chile stew at Golden Pride/Frontier; I love the tortillas there. Do you like Biscochitos?? I love those!!!
18.gif

Posole is another. hehe
That sucks that you''re allergic to green chile!!!Oh my gosh, I think I''d have allergic reactions all of the time--willingly! I love pretty much everything. BF grew up on chile, rice and beans and won''t eat chile anymore because he got sick of it-which sucks for me! What''s funny is that his family owns a New Mexican restaurant, and whenever we go he gets the food without chile. Calabasitas has green chile, unfortunately. BF doesn''t even like corn on the cob. He has texture issues, and corn happens to be one of them. Lol

I will have to try the green chile stew at Golden Pride/Frontier. I''ve had their posole, and it was pretty great, but not the green chile stew! I also love their tortillas. Soooooo yummy!

Who doesn''t love biscochitos?! How can someone not love them?! Yum!

ETA: Fiery, for us Biscochitos are cookies (traditionally made with lard) that have anise seeds in them, and are coated on the outside with sugar/cinnamon. They are usually made around Christmas time. What are the cakes like?
They''re just cakes LOL. I know that in some places they call cake pan dulce but we call them Biscocho and biscochito is a slice of cake.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 2:52:03 PM
Author: krispi

Date: 8/6/2008 2:20:38 PM
Author: aprilcait
I'm from Maryland (the DC area) so a summer must-have is white corn, hush puppies (it can be hard to find good hushpuppies in MD, since they're more of a Southern specialty), and blue crabs. I can't think of anything else that is really 'regional' in our food here, but a crab feast is a summer tradition.
Aprilcait, my BF has a friend who lives in MD, and we went up to Ocean City last year to visit. I got to see the all you can eat blue crab for the first time. (I had the crab cakes instead, but my BF LOVES blue crab!)
Krispi, I can't believe I forgot crabcakes!!!
23.gif
How much more MD do you get than that. Tsk tsk, Aprilcait!
Oh, and Maryland Crab Soup... soooo good when you have a cold in the winter; that spicy tomato base kicks the congestion right out. Cream of crab soup is delicious too, of course.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:29:55 PM
Author: fieryred33143

They're just cakes LOL. I know that in some places they call cake pan dulce but we call them Biscocho and biscochito is a slice of cake.
Do you have the recipe Fieryred? They sound yummy! Biscochitos are crumbly, kind of like sugar cookies but better. hehe I like mine w/rum; like FC said.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:29:32 PM
My sister hates biscochitos which I think is funny. Her MIL makes them and she gives them too me which makes me happy! I LOVE them! I am soooo Happy you Love them because I know lots of people who don't love them but for some reason I get super happy to find someone else who likes them!
36.gif
I love to make them too but they are hard work. hehe I can't take advantage of NM food, it all sticks to my behind. haha
2.gif
41.gif

Yes, try the green chile stew from there; hubby loves it and eats it w/their yummy tortillas. I do love their Breakfastburritos from there and their Cholestrolls (if you know what I mean? hehehe
9.gif
11.gif
My mom can't stand biscochitos unless they don't have any anise in them. She hates the flavor. I know a lot of people too who don't like them at all-and I just don't understand it! I get addicted to them, so I can't make them myself for fear that I'll eat them all. They are hard work!

I'll do that they next time BF or I don't want to cook. We live close to both of them, so that would be an easy dinner. He always gets Breakfast Burritos without chile--and I think THAT is so weird!

And OH YEAH I know what you mean by Cholestrolls!!!I used to eat them ALL THE TIME when I lived in the dorms. How I miss that metabolism!!! But they are SOOOOOOOO yummy too!!!!

ETA: last Christmas I made biscochitos and used brandy in the recipe....it was sooooo good.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:41:18 PM

Date: 8/6/2008 3:29:32 PM
My sister hates biscochitos which I think is funny. Her MIL makes them and she gives them too me which makes me happy! I LOVE them! I am soooo Happy you Love them because I know lots of people who don't love them but for some reason I get super happy to find someone else who likes them!
36.gif
I love to make them too but they are hard work. hehe I can't take advantage of NM food, it all sticks to my behind. haha
2.gif
41.gif

9.gif
11.gif
My mom can't stand biscochitos unless they don't have any anise in them. She hates the flavor. I know a lot of people too who don't like them at all-and I just don't understand it! I get addicted to them, so I can't make them myself for fear that I'll eat them all. They are hard work!

I'll do that they next time BF or I don't want to cook. We live close to both of them, so that would be an easy dinner. He always gets Breakfast Burritos without chile--and I think THAT is so weird!

And OH YEAH I know what you mean by Cholestrolls!!!I used to eat them ALL THE TIME when I lived in the dorms. How I miss that metabolism!!! But they are SOOOOOOOO yummy too!!!!

ETA: last Christmas I made biscochitos and used brandy in the recipe....it was sooooo good.
I *knew* you would know what Cholesterolls were, haha! They are delicious but leathal I tell ya! Their OJ is the best! I love how fluffy the tortillas are, yum!

I love love love biscochitos, Golden Crown Panaderia (on Mountain and I think 6th) makes delicious ones (I hate the chocolate ones they make, so weird) they were featured on the food channel awhile back ago. If I ever do not have time to make them I buy them by the dozen their and ship them to friends and family.

I love Churros too but they aren't NM. I love the ones at Costco, now I am making myself hungry
face20.gif
heck, I am a sucker for anything w/cinnamon and sugar, yummy!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I will have to get a recipe from my mom on a classic Dominican cake which I *hated* growing up and now beg her to make (which she doesn''t ever). LOL But I will tell her to give me the recipe.

I also hated rice and beans as a kid. That''s what we had all day, every day. Now if my mom doesn''t make it for me when I visit, I get all pissy. Poor mom.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:49:19 PM
Author: fieryred33143
I will have to get a recipe from my mom on a classic Dominican cake which I *hated* growing up and now beg her to make (which she doesn''t ever). LOL But I will tell her to give me the recipe.

I also hated rice and beans as a kid. That''s what we had all day, every day. Now if my mom doesn''t make it for me when I visit, I get all pissy. Poor mom.
Yes please, I love to try out new things!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My "home" food is venison. My family are hunters and we eat what we kill. So, for me, the whole hunting, butchering, cooking of venison is about as "home" as I can get.

Also, I''m Swedish, and up until relatively recently, my grandparents basement was filled with the odor of Lutefisk. That would be dried up Cod soaked in Lye and then apparently EATEN!! No, I''ve never tried it, but that smell is one that will stay with you forever!!

And, it''s standard with us to have assorted hot sauces and salsas as part of Christmas Eve dinner.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh good gosh! this list may be a bit LONG. haha

gumbo
anything crawfish or shrimp or crab
boudin
cracklin
etouffee
rice & gravy
jambalaya
andouille
beignets
pralines
bread pudding
stuffed mirliton
crawfish shrimp or crab (or combo) bisque
crawfish shrimp or crab (or combo) stew
corn maque choux
tasso
grits and grillades
king cake
boiled crawfish
doberge cake
anything that starts off with a roux

what can i say? we LOVE our food down here :)

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 3:55:02 PM
Author: jcrow
oh good gosh! this list may be a bit LONG. haha

gumbo
anything crawfish or shrimp or crab
boudin
cracklin
etouffee
rice & gravy
jambalaya
andouille
beignets
pralines
bread pudding
stuffed mirliton
crawfish shrimp or crab (or combo) bisque
crawfish shrimp or crab (or combo) stew
corn maque choux
tasso
grits and grillades
king cake
boiled crawfish
doberge cake
anything that starts off with a roux

what can i say? we LOVE our food down here :)
I saw a Dirty Jobs about cracklin and have been dying to try it ever since. It seems artery-clogging delicious!
18.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
The following things are signature dishes in our family...

Grandmothers and great-grandmother:
- Butter tarts (yum!)
- Homemade bread and buns... best recipe ever
- Shortbread -- each grandma made different kinds. One was a heavier, more dense brown sugar-based recipe. The other was lighter, with icing sugar and cornstarch.
- Assorted other baked goodies, like lemon bars
- Potato salad

My mom:
- Baked mac and cheese
- Shepherd''s pie
- Scalloped potatoes & ham
- Roast with yorkshire pudding! (I love yorkshire pudding)
- Pumpkin bread, banana bread
- Baked spaghetti & meatballs

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Shrimp and grits and sweet tea are really popular around here. And Carolina BBQ...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I love this thread, El!

I'm from Chicago, and as far as regional food goes I'd have to say:

- Hotdogs with mustard, pickle, tomato, and celery salt. NO KETCHUP! If you order ketchup on your hotdog, we know you're not a Chicagoan.
- Steak. Really good steak.

That's all I can think of for Chicago, because my own "home-style" food experience has more to do with our Jewish religion than our location.

Here are the foods that remind me of home, and are also a part of our Jewish culture:
- Beef brisket (YUM!)
- Challah (my mom bakes fresh challah every Friday. She even sent a mini loaf to me every week for my entire four years in college, along with a tiny wine bottle and two Shabbat candles. She's so cute.)
- Matzah ball soup
- Bagels and cream cheese, lox (I don't eat lox, but everyone else does!)
- Falafel and hummus
- Hummus with ANYTHING!
- Kasha and varnkishkes
- Knishes
- Kugel (ick!)
- Israeli salad
- Fresh sun tea in the summer, and hot apple cider in the winter (not Jewish, just my mom's thing.)

Random staple in my family's food repertoire:
- Cincinnati Chili (My mom's good friend from college was from Cincinnati and she introduced her to it. YUM! Mom always made it with fake meat, but I love it, anyway!)

This is a fun thread, I loved reading everyone's responses. (And I've always been jealous of Southerners, what fabulous regional foods!)

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I''m half-Greek and half-Italian, so pretty much anything Mediterranean feels like home to me. I love moussaka, baklava, avgo lemono soup, anything with Parmesan and pasta, etc.

I live in Austin, Texas, so I truly love Tex-Mex food as well and have to satisfy my weekly craving of enchiladas and ''ritas.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
As a southern Cali girl through and through I have to say anything grilled - chicken (whole or parts), steak (mostly filet), fish, vegetables, potatoes. My dad did most of the cooking and everything was grilled. We ate a lot of salads as well.

I think I was a Southern girl in another life because southern food is my FAVORITE. Biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, sweet potato pie, fried corn, collards, kale greens, on the list goes. These are all of my favorite foods. I cook them all the time so when my kids grow up they will probably say the foods that remind them of home are southern dishes.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 4:36:49 PM
Author: trillionaire
Shrimp and grits and sweet tea are really popular around here. And Carolina BBQ...
Oh, sweet tea! Yum!! I forget that''s a regional thing until I''m traveling and it''s not available. Honestly, I think that sweet tea should be standard everywhere, and if you DON''T want it sweetened, that should be a special request.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results