shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel Candy - Picture Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 4:06:34 AM
Author:sparkles
Always a lurker, never a poster.....lack of time I guess...or lack of baubles...tee hee.

Hubby got me some red candy!
Any suggestions on setting it are more than welcome. Thinking a Leon (here we go again), R518.
Haha! Me too! I lurk a lot more often than I post. I just don''t feel compelled to post often anymore! BUT, when I see a title that says ''Red Spinel Candy - Picture Heavy'' you can bet I''ll lurk and I certainly feel compelled to post!

What a beautiful stone! And what a fabulous hubby! I can''t wait to see it set! You can''t go wrong with a Leon!

Honestly, I think there is something wrong with Tourmaline''s monitor! I don''t see any brown in your gem. It is truly gorgeous!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkles,
From one lurker to another, I love your spinel. I love red gems anyway, and it is so nice to finally see a few more posted here.You have to take more photos.
I think I have a small version of your stone. Here is a shot of my nearly pure red with a slight orange overcast. It is a tiny little thing, .62 and it is from Burma. I had reservations, since it was so small, but when I saw it I knew I wanted to keep it.
The right color is so hard to come by.
Have you ever seen the photo of the red spinel in the crown from a museum in London? The stone was thought to be a ruby for a long time! I don''t know how to post from books, but I think it is somewhere on PS.
Sorry the photo is not clear. One of my children has borrowed my good camera, and this is all I have today.

spin62.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow! What a lovely stone, great cut, and FABULOUS husband! I can not wait to see your beauty set!

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Miranda, I have always admired your engagement ring - thankyou for the kind words.

LaurenThePartier - thankyou also for the kind words and I have a weakness for bezels, I love the cut of your diamond and the clean lines of your ring?

Pink Tower - That is a very red red spinel you have there...its gorgeous! Enjoy it in good health!

TL - Thanks for your concerns on the color and there possibly being a brown modifier. This just in from the appraiser and its all great news, I couldn't be happier!

The color description is using GIA GEMSet color terminology expressing the hue (R=RED) with no modifiers, such as purple or brown which might read "slpR" for slightly purplish-Red. Your spinel just has an "R", for red, with no modifiers noted. The Tone is 5 (Medium), and the Saturation is 6 (Vivid). This is a very fine rating.

But I'm no closer to any ideas on a setting..LOL

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone and sweet husband!

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
LtlFirecracker.....thanks for the compliment on my stone. That spess in your avator is amazing!

Hubby will be tickled pink to see all the nice things being said about him...I''ll make sure I show him this post..
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkles,
That’s good news. A true R5/6 should not have any modifiers because it signifies a true red very strong/vivid saturation. Oh, and thank you for your compliment on my spessartite.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 12:22:20 AM
Author: sparkles
Miranda, I have always admired your engagement ring - thankyou for the kind words.

LaurenThePartier - thankyou also for the kind words and I have a weakness for bezels, I love the cut of your diamond and the clean lines of your ring?

Pink Tower - That is a very red red spinel you have there...its gorgeous! Enjoy it in good health!

TL - Thanks for your concerns on the color and there possibly being a brown modifier. This just in from the appraiser and its all great news, I couldn''t be happier!

The color description is using GIA GEMSet color terminology expressing the hue (R=RED) with no modifiers, such as purple or brown which might read ''slpR'' for slightly purplish-Red. Your spinel just has an ''R'', for red, with no modifiers noted. The Tone is 5 (Medium), and the Saturation is 6 (Vivid). This is a very fine rating.

But I''m no closer to any ideas on a setting..LOL

FYI: Brown and grey are modifiers, which show up when a stone is less saturated in color, and purple or orange would be examples of secondary colors to a primary color like red, which are fine. The thing you don''t want is too much of a brown or grey modifier. Does it look like a top Burma ruby to you? If it does, then it is probably is a R5/6. I have to tell you that R5/6 is extraordinarily rare in nature, and would be worthy of a museum piece in that kind of color and size. For example, the Graff ruby is what probably a a R5/6 or thereabouts.

Congratulations!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2009 5:59:43 PM
Author: Pink Tower
Sparkles,
From one lurker to another, I love your spinel. I love red gems anyway, and it is so nice to finally see a few more posted here.You have to take more photos.
I think I have a small version of your stone. Here is a shot of my nearly pure red with a slight orange overcast. It is a tiny little thing, .62 and it is from Burma. I had reservations, since it was so small, but when I saw it I knew I wanted to keep it.
The right color is so hard to come by.
Have you ever seen the photo of the red spinel in the crown from a museum in London? The stone was thought to be a ruby for a long time! I don''t know how to post from books, but I think it is somewhere on PS.
Sorry the photo is not clear. One of my children has borrowed my good camera, and this is all I have today.
Hi Pink Tower,
I''d welcome more pictures of yours. I too have a Burmese red.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Harriet.
I have seen your red Burmese spinel, and it is such a beauty. Mine is perhaps very similar, only much smaller.
Here is another shot of it. I will have to wait for my daughter to return from camp w/the good camera for clear photos.

spinel tree.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results