shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel Candy - Picture Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Always a lurker, never a poster.....lack of time I guess...or lack of baubles...tee hee.

Hubby got me some red candy!
Any suggestions on setting it are more than welcome. Thinking a Leon (here we go again), R518.

spinel6d.jpg

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Well maybe not! My picture taking skills have not improved in the least........

spineld3.jpg

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
gheez my computer is running low on disc space and wont even give me the pictures to crop down to size which would enable me to post. I have cleaned up my disc space twice...arrrgh....

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
PRETTY.....details, please!

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What gemstone is that? Any other details like mm size and carat weight?

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry should have said Red Spinel in the thread!

Origin; Mogok Burma
3.72ct Cushion Cut
10.09mm x 8.57mm x 5.36mm
Medium to Intense
Medium to Dark
Transparent
color R 5/6
No enhancements..........

I''m addicted to spinels now....and other stuff
9.gif
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH, AH. I''d love to see more photos when you get your computer to let you have them! Spinels are lovely...

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Lovely spinel... can''t wait to see what you do with it

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous Sparkles, care to share where from?

I feel something red coming into my life soon.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous spinel. That would be beautiful in a Leon setting.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thankyou.....

spineld9.jpg

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
another

spineld10.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It stops traffic. Good on your hubby.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet,

Thanks for stoppin by....

I have lurked and drooled over all your lovelies. Its an honor to be in the company of someone who is incredibly knowledgeable and is a seasoned collectorr of FINE gems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s huge. Lucky you to have it set in a Leon.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
So pretty!! I love the cut!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure it''s a R5/6, which would indicate a vivid red gem, akin to a fine, but dark Burma ruby. In the photos I''m seeing quite a bit of brown secondary hue. I just want to make sure you obtained the right color code for your money. It could be just the photographs.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the new photos...how about a back of the hand shot? I mean instead of having it in your palm. I''d like to see how a stone that LARGE will look on your hand. You''ve certainly got a lovely bauble to share!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 11:25:24 AM
Author: sparkles
Harriet,

Thanks for stoppin by....

I have lurked and drooled over all your lovelies. Its an honor to be in the company of someone who is incredibly knowledgeable and is a seasoned collectorr of FINE gems.
You''re making me blush. I''m glad to see you starting your collection on the (what is to me) right track and not wasting money on stones that you''ll discard in a few months/years.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 3:06:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Are you sure it''s a R5/6, which would indicate a vivid red gem, akin to a fine, but dark Burma ruby. In the photos I''m seeing quite a bit of brown secondary hue. I just want to make sure you obtained the right color code for your money. It could be just the photographs.
Given that Sparkles has never posted a photograph of a gem, I am guessing it probably is just the photographs. Please let her enjoy it for what it is -- a gift from the heart.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 5:34:21 PM
Author: Harriet
Date: 7/15/2009 3:06:52 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

Given that Sparkles has never posted a photograph of a gem, I am guessing it probably is just the photographs. Please let her enjoy it for what it is -- a gift from the heart.

Ditto, H!

Your hubby did well, Sparkles! Did he have any help??
2.gif
I''ll be extra impressed if he chose it all by himself.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, hubby did have help in terms of knowing what I like and what I was looking for
2.gif

TL , yep its definately a R 5/6, well at least according to the appraisal. I know my photo taking skills are really bad........I will try again.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Love you creative ladies to give me some input on a setting please.

Thankyou

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
TL,

I got in contact with the appraiser to see if he hasn't lost his marbles.....in terms of there being a brown secondary. He said he will have to go back and check but to his knowledge the only secondary was red...

I had to chase our resident lizard off the grass to get the next lot of shots.....

spineld12.JPG

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
The handshots....

This stone, albeit darker reminds me of a story. 1997, hubby and I just starting out. Pseudo late honeymoon on one of those ghastly bus tours of Europe, 13 countries in 21 days or something as harrowing....we get to Paris and I wanted to vist the house of Channel. It was a BIG DEAL to me and I was enamoured with Coco Channel at that time. Hubby urged me to go inside, rather sheepishly I did. I was in there for around 15 minutes and was admiring the 2 legged traffic more than the merchandise. I will never forget the moment when an immaculately dressed and coiffed woman walked in the door.

She was wearing an amazing bezel set ruby in a domed pave ring.

All these years later I will never forget that moment and that ring! Weird.........

I''d hate to think how much an equivalent pedigree ruby would cost per carat!

spinel15.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m glad you got an appraisal for the stone. Stones that are expensive and rare should always be verified for treatment and accuracy of sale. However, having a red secondary is not good news. You want the PRIMARY to be red. Secondary can be orange, brown, purple and the like for red spinels.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the heads up Chrono,,,my inexperience is obviously showing......and wait for the appraisers reply. Hopefully its orange
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI: The 5/6 number indicates there's no brown even if it's a red/orange or pure red. It indicates a very pure and vivid color in some color family. A brownish or greyish secondary modifier would not show up in a 5/6 in one of the red color families. A 5/6 would indicate a very very expensive stone if it were natural in color. The finest Burma rubies, for example, would be a R5/6.

Sparkles,
I hope you enjoy your new spinel for many years to come.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the handshot. Will this be a RHR? Maybe a tiny tiny diamond halo? Or claw prongs, no halo and tiny diamonds on the shank. Those are my ideas for a setting. Wonderful stone you have to work with, have fun.
21.gif

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Stonehunter is that your new spinel in your avatar? Its a lovely red... Are you going to get any more red spinels? Did you finally decide what setting you are going to get?

I don't know if I am going to wear it as a right hand ring. Never though of it.....Good idea though....just have to make sure I don't wear any colors that clash on the other hand at the same time
2.gif

Which has me thinking about the left hand again. I was looking at the Tiffany's Blue Book today and was wondering why on earth would anyone halo an 11ct+ heart shaped diamond.............
40.gif

TL - thanks for the best wishes...you have a great collection and are very active and helpful in this forum.....

Chrono you contribution is also appreciated as your collection is fabulous......would love your spess....think that may be the next stone, but the hunt will not be easy.

I started off wanting a blue sapphire but it has gone further down my list.....
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results