shape
carat
color
clarity

RB HELP please :) Looks good??

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
I guess I want to set a "walk away" cut off before hand and stick to our guns.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
Another detail - I see that the stone has been removed from the virtual inventory (it was still searchable even after our meeting until this point). I assume that means they have purchased it and will keep regardless of if we take it.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Is this normal?

I don’t know if it’s normal but to me it seems weird that you went to see the stone in person and they didn’t give you a price then? And now you’re waiting to hear which would drive me crazy. But I am a very impatient person. Ha ha.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know if it’s normal but to me it seems weird that you went to see the stone in person and they didn’t give you a price then? And now you’re waiting to hear which would drive me crazy. But I am a very impatient person. Ha ha.

Well they probably would have, except I came in with printed out pricing for literally the exact same stone from local competitors. Which I'm sure threw a curveball. They were like the "MSRP is marked at 28K, but we can charge whatever we want and will make you a great deal. We can talk about it." And I was like perfect - here is a bunch of pricing I found.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makes sense. Does anyone have an opinion on (if it were you) what the cut off would be? Since we are able to use the full amount towards the upgrade, is it inappropriate to take it or leave it for 18? I don't know what is acceptable.

If it were me, my cut-off would be $18,500 (the low end of other jewelers in the area).

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
Welp - all my hopes and dreams are crushed (just kidding I'm being dramatic haha).

Husband came home and said that they are sticking firm to 24K and refuse to go any lower as that is an "incredible deal" that they are so graciously offering us... The owner also stated that the long standing jeweler that had the lower listed price (aka the VERY reputable local jeweler from my hometown) "won't be in business very much longer, just you see" and it somehow "had to be a scam at that price". Also "retail prices should not be able to be listed online as it's not good practice".

Needless to say we are walking away. For $24K I could literally get my Whiteflash dream ACA (even less - the one I love so much is 22), so I absolutely refuse to entertain this offer. I'm very sad as it looks like this just won't be happening. I'm so frustrated that after being (what I would consider) scammed into our current diamond, that this is how things are ending... Very disheartening.

But alas, it is what it is. And just not meant to be :( Thank you all so so much for your time, input and encouragement. You are all awesome and I appreciate you!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welp - all my hopes and dreams are crushed (just kidding I'm being dramatic haha).

Husband came home and said that they are sticking firm to 24K and refuse to go any lower as that is an "incredible deal" that they are so graciously offering us... The owner also stated that the long standing jeweler that had the lower listed price (aka the VERY reputable local jeweler from my hometown) "won't be in business very much longer, just you see" and it somehow "had to be a scam at that price". Also "retail prices should not be able to be listed online as it's not good practice".

Needless to say we are walking away. For $24K I could literally get my Whiteflash dream ACA (even less - the one I love so much is 22), so I absolutely refuse to entertain this offer. I'm very sad as it looks like this just won't be happening. I'm so frustrated that after being (what I would consider) scammed into our current diamond, that this is how things are ending... Very disheartening.

But alas, it is what it is. And just not meant to be :( Thank you all so so much for your time, input and encouragement. You are all awesome and I appreciate you!!

On to better (and guaranteed brighter) options!

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
On to better (and guaranteed brighter) options!

I am just feeling so defeated, because without that trade in it just isn't a possibility for us. I just wish either A) our current stone was actually what we thought we were buying or B) that we had paid what it was actually worth. Darn it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I am just feeling so defeated, because without that trade in it just isn't a possibility for us. I just wish either A) our current stone was actually what we thought we were buying or B) that we had paid what it was actually worth. Darn it.

I can certainly sympathize...after feeling defeated for a good long while when I was in process of shopping for my wife's anniversary diamond, I found the PriceScope education pages, read everything about cut and proportions, then branched out to Tolkowsky's book, Garry's site, and a host of others, then went shopping, which culminated with a wonderful ending.

Hang there...it only gets better from here, that I can promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@prettypaper01 I am so sorry. Ugh. I’m sure the 24k price is bc of their “trade in” value for your stone. I can understand your disappointment and hope that the perfect stone comes your way.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
I can certainly sympathize...after feeling defeated for a good long while when I was in process of shopping for my wife's anniversary diamond, I found the PriceScope education pages, read everything about cut and proportions, then branched out to Tolkowsky's book, Garry's site, and a host of others, then went shopping, which culminated with a wonderful ending.

Hanging there...it only gets better from here, that I can promise.

Love hearing your happy ending - so happy for you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered a pre-owned ACA? You could try posting a WTB thread in the Preloved forum in case someone is looking to offload theirs--there could be cost savings in a member-to-member transaction (as opposed to paying retail).

OP, what’s the absolute max your budget will stretch to? Perhaps we can help you find options that work!

I took your budget as ~$13-14k - being that $18-20k seemed like a “fair price” with $9k trade-in and offers for $2-3k for your current stone from other sources.

This is what I found at WF (I did not check anywhere else yet). It is not getting all the way to your desired specs - it’s K, SI1 (but completely eye clean - I can’t see anything at all) and 1.97 (about 8.08mm). It would be just a hair smaller than the stone you found, and I’m sure it’ll face up much whiter than the original as well. It’s $13.1k. You could always get this and then upgrade incrementally over time.

I hope this helps!!

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
@prettypaper01 I am so sorry. Ugh. I’m sure the 24k price is bc of their “trade in” value for your stone. I can understand your disappointment and hope that the perfect stone comes your way.

Thank you!
Have you considered a pre-owned ACA? You could try posting a WTB thread in the Preloved forum in case someone is looking to offload theirs--there could be cost savings in a member-to-member transaction (as opposed to paying retail).

Thank you Mreader. I'm sure you're right :(

Kim N - this thought had not occurred to me! I would LOVE a preloved ACA!! I will do that!!

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
OP, what’s the absolute max your budget will stretch to? Perhaps we can help you find options that work!

I took your budget as ~$13-14k - being that $18-20k seemed like a “fair price” with $9k trade-in and offers for $2-3k for your current stone from other sources.

This is what I found at WF (I did not check anywhere else yet). It is not getting all the way to your desired specs - it’s K, SI1 (but completely eye clean - I can’t see anything at all) and 1.97 (about 8.08mm). It would be just a hair smaller than the stone you found, and I’m sure it’ll face up much whiter than the original as well. It’s $13.1k. You could always get this and then upgrade incrementally over time.

I hope this helps!!

Thank you so much for your suggestion! My current is 1.72, and if I end up upgrading it will the the last time for life so I need to hold out for the stats to make it work out. If that means in a few more years I will have to wait. But you are so kind to research, I really appreciate you taking the time ~

Thank you so much for your suggestion! My current is 1.72, and if I end up upgrading it will the the last time for life so I need to hold out for the stats to make it work out. If that means in a few more years I will have to wait. But you are so kind to research, I really appreciate you taking the time ~

I did some more searching for you if it helps to have options. If it’s a one-and-done upgrade for you I don’t know whether you’d be willing to buy a good stone from elsewhere or whether you really want to hold out for an ACA. But in case you don’t need the super tip top creme de la creme I found some options via the PS search (HCA Ex for all the options I found) that cross the 2.2ct size. They are K though. There was no J above 2.05ish. Still if your current stone is OP then K would be a significant bump as well.

This 2.32 K VS2 N Fluor ~8.45mm from B2C. Got an HCA score of 1.

This 2.2 K SI1 N Fluor ~8.43mm from JA. Got an HCA score of 1 (All Ex across the board). If this looks good to you, put on hold and request for the cert, and then get the community to weigh in.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
I did some more searching for you if it helps to have options. If it’s a one-and-done upgrade for you I don’t know whether you’d be willing to buy a good stone from elsewhere or whether you really want to hold out for an ACA. But in case you don’t need the super tip top creme de la creme I found some options via the PS search (HCA Ex for all the options I found) that cross the 2.2ct size. They are K though. There was no J above 2.05ish. Still if your current stone is OP then K would be a significant bump as well.

This 2.32 K VS2 N Fluor ~8.45mm from B2C. Got an HCA score of 1.

This 2.2 K SI1 N Fluor ~8.43mm from JA. Got an HCA score of 1 (All Ex across the board). If this looks good to you, put on hold and request for the cert, and then get the community to weigh in.

Thanks again- this is so helpful. I think at this point I will just take a breather. My income fluctuates drastically through the year, with holiday being peak time. If I have a good to great holiday season we may have some extra funds to put towards it so I don't feel like we are having to "settle" (not that any of these great options is settling). I think some time to cool off before revising the search might just be what I need right now.

Thanks again- this is so helpful. I think at this point I will just take a breather. My income fluctuates drastically through the year, with holiday being peak time. If I have a good to great holiday season we may have some extra funds to put towards it so I don't feel like we are having to "settle" (not that any of these great options is settling). I think some time to cool off before revising the search might just be what I need right now.

I think giving it some time is a great idea. Prices are heated up anyway right now so I don’t think you sacrifice anything by taking some time to cool off and re-approach this search with goals, budget etc. aligned. Looking forward to hearing about your happy ending!

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
New development, what a saga!! I guess time was just what we needed. After politely declining the offer, the owner reached out to both my husband and I multiple times to see if there was anything we could do to "work things out". I had to unexpectedly fly out of town (my elderly grandmother has been having health issues), so I shot over an email to sum up all of our frustrations and to just be done with the whole thing. At this point I was tired, frustrated and just honestly didn't want to talk or think about it anymore...

This is the email I sent minus any personal info:

"Thank you so much for the follow up call. Unfortunately at this time we are going to have to pass on the 2.14 ct. J stone.

As business owners ourselves we completely understand that you have a generous overhead and ultimately need to set a margin on your inventory in order to be profitable. The prices we shared with you for that particular stone weren’t from random, low market / high volume websites - but rather from real, brick and mortar, small family owned jewelry businesses like yours (one of them being my very reputable and trusted local family hometown jeweler) that simply had their retail prices posted online.

We truly feel that the previous purchase of our current diamond lacked transparency. Not only was the color grade grossly misrepresented, the cut and clarity were also incorrect by many grades… While we were assured we were purchasing a J color, SI1, “ideal cut” diamond, in reality we bought an O-P, “very good” I1 clarity stone. The GIA grading is visibly accurate, apparent under a loupe / aset / idealscope. Once we realized what we had bought, you can understand our disappointment.

We truly wanted to give you our business, and the opportunity to “make it right”. We know you are stuck between a rock and a hard place as you personally didn’t sell us our current stone, and still need to be able to make a profit after our trade in amount. But after spending $9,500 on the first misrepresented diamond, we unfortunately are unable to make your offer - or anything close to that number - work for us at this time.

Thank you again for bringing in the stone, meeting with us, and ultimately all of your time and communication."

Long story short he immediately called me, then called my my husband and replied to the email stating that he didn't realize the huge misrepresentation we experienced buying the first stone (he thought it was only a color issue), and after reviewing that information wanted to make it right and to "name our price". I returned with the lowest listed retail price we found, minus our costs associated with the GIA appraisal. He said great, I will make it happen. I also made it clear that we needed to know the return policy and that I wanted to make sure I had it for a couple days worry free to examine under many different lighting conditions etc.

It is being set and we are going back in next week to pick it up. So here we are ~ whew that was a lot! Thank you for listening, I hope I haven't bored you all to tears!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what great news. prettypaper01!
Congratulations, and I hope you are thrilled with the results once it's set and on your finger!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That is awesome!!!! Thanks for the update!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's wonderful! So glad everything worked out for you!

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
That is a great outcome! You get the stone you want at a fair price and the jeweler gets chance to make things right this time.

Thanks for the sharing this good news!!

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
Hello all! I have the new diamond on my finger - I am very happy with size / performance / color. BUT I need to purchase a 60x loupe because I can't see the inscription with my 10x... Ordering now. Using my 10x it appears to have the crystal cluster in the same spot as the GIA plot, but I really want the peace of mind that the serial confirmation will bring. https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6381491836

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
Update #2 - I found the inscription!! I can't read it, but will confirm numbers once loupe arrives Monday. But it's THERE (huge relief) :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results