shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant experts please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moogiemae

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at a fancy light yellow branded radiant that looks fantastic except for small dark shadowing on the left and right side when looking straight at it. If I look at it on a dark background it goes away and the stone is incredible but on a light background is very noticable. I''m wondering if this is normal. The other stone I looked at in comparison had the same markings. Do all radiants have this. I haven''t seen stones in person other than these. The pictures on this site at certain angles seem to show the shadowing I am seeing. I was hoping someone who has seen many in person may have some advise on this. Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome.
35.gif
Sounds like it could be the bow tie effect, many fancy shapes display this.

Read this thread and this should help you

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bowtie-and-radiants.22038/=

Some can show the bow tie effect more than others, it can be a matter of preference, some like it and others avoid it at all costs. Hope the above thread can answer your questions.

Try this thread too https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-does-everyone-dread-the-bow-tie-effect-in-fancies.27738/=

Also this http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Shape/ShapeTips/

moogiemae

Rough_Rock
Thanks. The dark area does not go across the stone instead it is a few facets that appear dark when I move it around and are on the edges. They change from dark to light depending on how I tilt the stone. They also have sparkiling colour at a tilt

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
hi.

I would like to know if you could kindly give me more information on the stone? ... depth % and girdle thickness namely.

I have seen some radiant cuts with a "window" effect towards the edges of the stone, and this is usually due to a thicker girdle area and shallow stone cut....the length:width ratio on radiants also effect the type of light return you''ll be getting back as well. Are you also looking at this stone loose or mounted? FY diamonds are kind of funny...most of the color inherent in the stone needs to be mounted to prevent "color-loss"... most FY unless they are cut just right, will need a closed back so that you won''t get that "windowing"...

moogiemae

Rough_Rock
Thanks Diamongirl Here is the grading report.

Measurements 7.25 x 6.68 x x4.01
Weight 1.76
Depth 60.%
Table 65%
Girdle Thin to extra thick
Cutlet None
Polish Good
Symmetry Good
Clarity VVS2
Color Natual Fancy light yellow
Distribution Even
Flour None

I am looking at this stone loose. When I put it against a dark backgroud the silvery areas disappear and the stone is stunning. Does this mean if it is set a certain way we may be able to make these areas disappear? The edges do seem to have clearer areas. This may be the windowing you mentioned. Also would this even out when mounted since it looks great now against a dark background?

moogiemae

Rough_Rock
I also read that Gary said light changing around the outside edge is normal (not a flaw) but would this cause me to see these silvery areas?

moogiemae

Rough_Rock
I just tried RocDoc''s red bag test and found that the dark areas turned red. If I understand correctly this means the spots in question are actually areas that show more light return than the other parts of the stone causing the contrast. Will I find this in all radiant cuts especially fancy yellow or keep looking for one without? Thanks all!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results