shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick question . . . if you were me . . .?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m getting that pull again - it must be a bi-monthly thing for me or something.
9.gif

But, I''m starting to ask around for rough for another Asscher. With my spessartite on its way in the next couple of weeks, I''m wondering, what is your ideal gem species/colour for an Asscher?

Here''s a pic of what I have currently . . . Blue-green tourmaline, Aqua, and Cinnamon Tourmaline cut by Gary Braun. Scapolite, Amethyst, and Morganite, cut by Peter Torraca. Settings in the works for the aqua and the cinnamon tourmaline. I just love that little guy.
9.gif

I''m still waiting until I have the spess in hand to make a final decision on what to do with it.

original.aspx

Thanks in advance for your opinions - I''d love to hear them!
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
And as a bonus, additional pics of the spess to I have finally found!

Sorry about the tiny face up picture. Chrono, thank you sooooo much for pointing me in the direction of this guy! I hope it''s as pretty in person as it is in pics.

GSP-00703-s.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Side view.

GSP-00703-side.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one.

GSP-00703-side-1.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Chrysoberyl! But seeing how that''s a PITA to get, I think a bright pink spinel would look really nice cut in an asscher shape.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
love the pic of all the stones set up like that..looks like you need a blue or yellow stone to help complete the color wheel

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lauren,
Don''t thank me to soon. We''ll have to wait until the stone arrives.
9.gif
For me, I like pale stones for the asscher cut; it doesn''t matter what colour.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I''d like to see a medium light magenta or a medium light cornflowerish blue/lavender ascher in your collection.
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet - I''ve considered bright pink, and I think that''s a great way to go. Although the colour of the morganite is pale, it''s certainly not pink enough for me. Chryso is also intriguing to me. I''m wondering what the likelihood is of finding sphene rough appropriate and deep enough for an Asscher shape.

Amguy - I almost had my hands on a pure medium blue sapphire from Jeff White, but it was much smaller than I was hoping for. I kick myself for passing on it, but at just over 5.5mm, I felt like it might have been too small for the setting I was hoping to set it in.

Chrono - I''m still going to thank you, but I have a good feeling about it. Just hoping it''s undersold in the pics, not oversold, so fingers crossed.
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:53:00 AM
Author: brandy_z28
I''d like to see a medium light magenta or a medium light cornflowerish blue/lavender ascher in your collection.
2.gif
Thanks, Brandy for your suggestions! I would, too, frankly!
3.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always loved looking at everyone''s asschers, but could never really see myself wearing one. Well, after your family photo there, I have been newly converted!

do you have more pictures of the amethyst?? please
4.gif
?

I think if I ever was going to get one, I''d probably start by going over to Jeff White''s gallery pages for inspiration... oh, would you look at that, I just did
27.gif
and well, I want all of them
39.gif
but this one has to be my fav
30.gif
http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/SPL018.htm

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, diamonds lend themselves nicely to an asscher shape...
9.gif

Anyway, garnets are an obvious choice, so I''d think about a hessonite (they sometimes come in beautiful champagne/golden shades and are available in larger sizes than most garnets), minty tsavorites, mali garnets or some fancy shades of malayas (peach/rose/whatever).

Would be nice to find a chrysoberyl (either a regular one or a vanadium type), but they''re hard to find in the right shape/size/color.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 12:56:58 PM
Author: kas baby
I''ve always loved looking at everyone''s asschers, but could never really see myself wearing one. Well, after your family photo there, I have been newly converted!

4.gif
?

I think if I ever was going to get one, I''d probably start by going over to Jeff White''s gallery pages for inspiration... oh, would you look at that, I just did
27.gif
39.gif
30.gif
Kas, you have me pegged, my friend!
30.gif
Does the word "WANT" say it loud enough?
31.gif

Here is the thread devoted to my Amethyst. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-asscher-this-ones-a-3-31-ct-amethyst-from-peter-torraca.117061/

I have a nice darker square cushion from Barry, so I intentionally asked Peter for a lighter coloured Amethyst.

Ma Re, I''m with you on Asscher diamonds, but unfortunately, my budget doesn''t allow for the size I want now.
31.gif

So, in the meantime, I think you''re right on. I think I''ll start hunting for some garnets. Thank you!
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oooh I''m so jealous of all your gorgeous asschers! Drool, drool, drool...

How about something in light green? Peridot maybe? Peter had a gorgeous one a few months ago, that was more of a minty-er green than apple green (I think Loriken got it?).

Or a light to medium pink, or a medium blue.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 1:45:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Date: 8/19/2009 12:56:58 PM
Author: kas baby

4.gif
?

27.gif
39.gif
30.gif
Kas, you have me pegged, my friend!
30.gif
Does the word ''WANT'' say it loud enough?
31.gif

Here is the thread devoted to my Amethyst. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-asscher-this-ones-a-3-31-ct-amethyst-from-peter-torraca.117061/

I have a nice darker square cushion from Barry, so I intentionally asked Peter for a lighter coloured Amethyst.

Ma Re, I''m with you on Asscher diamonds, but unfortunately, my budget doesn''t allow for the size I want now.
31.gif

So, in the meantime, I think you''re right on. I think I''ll start hunting for some garnets. Thank you!
9.gif
lol!! I think desire is much more fitting, it sounds so much more sultry and sexy- especially when referring to pretty gems! lol
31.gif

I just looked at that thread and *gasp* I looooooove your amethyst... its lovely... and lol, Packrat was too funny "are they for fondling?" lol! I have one loose ''gemmy'' as my FI lovingly calls it and adore playing with it while we wait to save up to set it... shortly after setting that I see an asscher in my future
27.gif

can''t wait to see that spess!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at your collection, I would go for a bright pink sapphire or tourmaline.
But that''s just me!
2.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
LTP,

Been drooling over your asschers!
drool.gif
What a collection!

Can''t wait to see your spess! Have been wanting to get one too!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need a blue. Something darker than the aqua and more of a pure blue.

I love your asschers.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
How about a simple smoky quartz asscher? With that material, the stone could be HUGE!!!
31.gif

I saw some fashion jewelry at a high end jeweler in town where the smoky quartz had been surrounded with tiny orange melee (bright orange sapphire? or possibly grossular garnet?) in 18 kt yellow gold. It was absolutely stunning.
30.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Lauren I think you need a nice, deep gemmy pink asscher like the one Jeff cut for me - just like the one linked!
30.gif
But BIGGER!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hot pink baby!
36.gif
ok... just pink any shade..lol in any specimen

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are awesome - thank you so much for your comments. I''m trying to prioritize and work on a schedule for acquisition . . .
27.gif

BEG - I really would love a peridot in a nice apple green.

Kas - haha! Desire is definitely more fitting. Yum! Thank you for the lovely compliment about my Amethyst. I like to fondle it often.
31.gif

Kribbie - I think that''s the way the trend is leaning. Quite honestly, I''m an October baby, so another nice pink tourmaline could be in order.
9.gif

Megeve - Thank you! I''m dying to see it in person. Pics can only say so much, you know?
1.gif

Freke - Can you believe I passed on this JW sapphire below? I kick myself when I think about it.
14.gif

Fly Girl - now there''s an idea!!!! The orange/brown combo sounds really lovely, in fact. . . Hmmmmm . . .
1.gif

MonkeyPie - you size queen, you! LOL
31.gif
I''m ok with a 6mm+ Asscher. No upper limits on size.
9.gif

D&T - I think you have helped me with my priorities - thanks for chiming in! I think pink is next!
30.gif

JWAsscherSapphire.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes! Who did Jeff cut that one for?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 4:31:49 PM
Author: Chrono
Holy smokes! Who did Jeff cut that one for?
I don''t know who it was cut for, but I ended up being first in line for one and the timing was absolutely TERRIBLE for me, right before we started construction on our backyard. It was ~1.2 ct. IIRC, and only about 5.5 mm or so.

I have no idea who was next on the list. I really wanted to see RL pics of it.
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These asschers sure face up small, don''t they? My 1.75 ct spinel only measures 6.5 mm.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 4:43:06 PM
Author: Chrono
These asschers sure face up small, don''t they? My 1.75 ct spinel only measures 6.5 mm.
NO kidding!

And I''m wearing a 5mm Asscher on my left hand. It''s a source of frustration to love something that doesn''t give you proper ROI in the size department.
3.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love your asschers!! IMHO, I think you need a wonderful bright candy pink (I''ve asked Gene to cut one for me if he can) and/or a nice sparkly zircon blue... I would love one myself!!
36.gif
36.gif

Chrysoberyl is very nice, I love mine!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 5:45:27 PM
Author: mochi
I love your asschers!! IMHO, I think you need a wonderful bright candy pink (I''ve asked Gene to cut one for me if he can) and/or a nice sparkly zircon blue... I would love one myself!!
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks for chiming in Mochi.
9.gif

In your opinion, who do you think cuts the best Asschers? I know you have an assortment of them, too, and a collection I''d trade you for in a heartbeat!!!!!
9.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 5:46:50 PM

36.gif
36.gif

9.gif

In your opinion, who do you think cuts the best Asschers? I know you have an assortment of them, too, and a collection I''d trade you for in a heartbeat!!!!!
9.gif
LOL!! You have the largest asscher collection that I know of!!

I don''t really have a favorite cutter of asschers, I think they are special in their own way (hows that for diplomacy??
emwink.gif
). I love Gary''s asschers because they look like a flower with it''s step cuts, but cut is very deep. I love Gene''s asschers because they seem to be the easiest to work with when it comes to setting it into a ring. I only have one of Peter''s (the amethyst) and he also does a marvelous job. Need to really get one from Barry. I asked him to cut one from a blue topaz for me but he hasn''t been able to get his hand on a nice rough.
40.gif

But, like you, I''m so addicted to this particular cut eventhough it does face smaller than the weight.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 6:11:00 PM

Date: 8/19/2009 5:46:50 PM

36.gif
36.gif

9.gif

9.gif
LOL!! You have the largest asscher collection that I know of!!

I don''t really have a favorite cutter of asschers, I think they are special in their own way (hows that for diplomacy??
emwink.gif
). I love Gary''s asschers because they look like a flower with it''s step cuts, but cut is very deep. I love Gene''s asschers because they seem to be the easiest to work with when it comes to setting it into a ring. I only have one of Peter''s (the amethyst) and he also does a marvelous job. Need to really get one from Barry. I asked him to cut one from a blue topaz for me but he hasn''t been able to get his hand on a nice rough.
40.gif

But, like you, I''m so addicted to this particular cut eventhough it does face smaller than the weight.
Mochi, lol @ your diplomacy. I understand, though. They all have different styles. Looks like I need to get in line for a Barry and a Gene.
2.gif

You know what''s funny? I just went back and read through the first 10 or so pages of posts that I ever made on Pricescope, and I kid you not, I posted the word "asscher" about 11ty billion times! Glad to see that over 5 years later, I''m still a bit obsessed.
9.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results