shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about ering vs w band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
My e ring stone is D VS2. The w band I want is a channel set band with 11-12 diamonds equaling 1/2 ctw. The diamonds in that band however are either G or H and a VS2 or an SI2.

My questions are:

Would a smaller diamond show it's flaws more?

Would the color grade G or H be noticeable next to the larger D color diamond?

And which one is better for the D Vatche Royal crown, the regular channel set band or the one with a slight curve? I've tried both types on and I really can't tell the difference and the diamond setting doesn't rub up against the w band I was looking at.

Here's a picture of the w band.

15337090_X400.jpeg

WFPaveChampagne

Shiny_Rock
i think the samller one would show them less, esp since they are channel set, so close... IMHO

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
I didn''t think of that. I would like to have at least VS2 stones. I''m thinking I might have to take the picture into a jeweler and have him make the ring like I want and then he can just order the smaller diamonds to my specs. Like I can ask him to order F or G color stones and have them be VS quality.

Does that sound possible?

And would an F or G color be noticeable next to a D?

The ring I posted is from Zales and although the ring looked awesome in the store, I know better. I tried to tell the sales rep my wedding is 14 months away but he insisted I buy the ring now so it would be paid off by then. I let him know we would be paying in cash regardless so time is not a problem. He didn''t like my answer, but then I don''t like his store. I went just to see how the ann. band would look with my ring.

A lot of the bands are squared where I am looking for a more rounded band to match the Vatche ring.

Anyone kow of any rounded channel set bands?

Thanks.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in color since the stones in the band are smaller. The smaller stones will not show the inclusions, even at an SI2 clarity.

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Although not set like a normal channel-setting, my bar-set band is rounded on the back. On the appraisal from the store, the setting is listed as "individually" channel-set diamonds. I know what you mean by not wanting a squared-band. I prefer the roundness too.

Here is mine by Rosen Block Designs:

band_box.jpg

band1.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about how rounded they are, but you could check out the w-bands and eternity rings at www.signedpieces.com (the Facets collection). The reason I suggest that is because they make their eternity bands and diamond wedding rings with F-G color VVS-VS clarity stones, and they can customize for you if you want higher color grades or different sizes than you see on the website, or if you only want a half-eternity band or whatever. They custom made my e-ring setting and they were wonderful to work with - everything was done about 5 days ahead of schedule and it was exactly as promised, and they were helpful during the ordering process. I know they made a diamond band or 5 or 7 stone ring for someone on here with D-E color diamonds and I can''t remember who but you could try searching.

Hope that helps!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh has an E stone and her wedding band is from signed pieces. i don''t think you would notice the color difference in diamonds so small. here''s a pic of her set. maybe she''ll jump in and tell us what she see''s in person??

rng11-2april.jpg

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I have an E-colored VS1 center stone with baguettes on the E-ring and W-ring that are about H in color with VS2-VVS1 in clarity. Even in the sunlight, no one can see the color difference.

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
That is a beautiful ring. And since I am ALL about sparkle and flash, which setting do ya''ll think sparkles more, the shared prong setting or the channel setting. I just saw a Tiffany 7 stone shared prong setting that made my jaw drop. The girl who has it is Kayla17 and her ring left me speechless.

But now I have another problem. Does a shared prong diamond gets scratched or chipped or damaged more than a channel set diamond since there''s nothing to "protect" it?

And which has more sparkle?

Since a share prong ring rubs against the e ring, does that scratch the diamond?

All these buring questions. :)

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
OK!! Kink works!! My set is posted there..near the bottom...center is E/F color....side stones are G/H...I don''t see a color difference,esp. since I had rings rhodium plated.....

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
Maybe I could have the w ring soldered to the e-ring. Personally I like the fact that I could switch them out but if soldering is the only way I can go so they don't get damaged, I can live with that.

I could go with the channel cut too so I could avoid the damage, but I'm unsure of which sparkles more, the shared prong or channel. And the fact that I like the "all diamond" look too.

With the channel, there's no scratching of diamonds against the band but in doing so, it acts as a spacer.

With the shared prong, it's all sparkly diamonds but they can self destruct apparently.

Do channel set diamonds often get "loose" in their settings?

What do I do? I'm torn. It's so great to know that this is my single biggest problem right now...that is until I start planning the wedding. Uggh.

Any pics of the RC setting with a nice channel set wedding ring?

I'm looking for a rounded channel set too so that it matches the e-ring instead of the squared sides that I am seeing.

Edited to add:

I am trying to look closely at the Tiffany channel cut and it seems that their band is rounded. anyone know for sure?

The link is:

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/diaband_channel_ring.asp?ring=half&

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
Here''s the pic of the Tiffany. Can anyone tell me if it''s rounded?

diaband_channel_half1.jpeg

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
I read the link that you posted Maxine and there was a poster named Jellybean who said her shared prong ate into her gold setting. But would a shared prong do that kind of damage to a platinum setting? I was talking to my fiance about what jellybean had said and he mentioned that she must have had a gold setting. So I went back and read it and sure enough, she did.

Anyone know how much damage a dimaond can do to a platinum setting like the Royal Crown?

Ducky

Rough_Rock
I recently bought the shared-prong diamond band from Tiffany''s and love its sparkle. It is really beautiful no matter what the lighting and time of day. I''m not sure if it sparkles more or less than their channel set ring though. Since I''ve only owned my band for about one month (which I wear with a solitaire e-ring), I''m not sure if the rubbing of the two rings has caused any scratching of the diamonds on my band. Hopefully this won''t happen. The stones on the shared-prong band don''t hang over at all. I''m keeping my fingers crossed that this will be why the rings don''t damage each other in time from spinning. By the way, my shared-prong ring has the feel of a comfort fit ring and is extremely comfortable on my finger. I hope my input will help you in your ring selection process.

Does anyone else out there own a Tiffany''s shared-prong band that is also worn with a .80ct classic Tiffany diamond solitaire e-ring? I''d love to have some feedback on the above-mentioned scratching question. Thank you.

Deputy74

Rough_Rock
Ducky:

Do you by any chance have any pictures of your rings?

I am addicted to all things sparkly. I need rehab or just more diamonds.
11.gif

What type of metal is your ring by the way?

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Did you see the thread on show me the ring re: "show me you eternity band sets?? (started by Mara)? There are more combinations there......You could post that question separately, and maybe some jewelers/appraisers would chime in......

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a picture of the Tiffany half circle band, I''m not quite sure how to describe the shape, it is square with rounded edges, if that makes sense. I pair it with this 7 stone Sapphire and Diamond band, or a chocolate diamond eternity band. According to Tiffany, the diamond half circle is G VS1 0.39ctw and the 7 stone ring is 3 round dia .24ct G VS2 and 4 round sapphires .40ctw.

7 stone sapph dia 01.jpeg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
This may give a better perspective of the shape.

I wish you well,

Bridget

7 stone sapph dia 02.jpeg

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Except that the picture came out tiny, so you really can''t see it that well! I''m sorry, not too computer savvy here.

I wish you well,

Bridget

Ducky

Rough_Rock
Hi Deputy 74,
My shared-prong ring is platinum. I currently wear it with my Tiffany style 14ct yellow gold solitaire. However, I will be buying an actual Tiffany & Co. classic solitaire to wear with my wedding band soon(20th wedding anniversary present). If I have a chance to take a picture of my current set, I''ll post it for you.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/12/2005 12:21:34 PM
Author: Ducky
Hi Deputy 74,
My shared-prong ring is platinum. I currently wear it with my Tiffany style 14ct yellow gold solitaire. However, I will be buying an actual Tiffany & Co. classic solitaire to wear with my wedding band soon(20th wedding anniversary present). If I have a chance to take a picture of my current set, I''ll post it for you.
Oooh, what size & shape Tiffany diamond ring are you planning to buy?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Deputy,
Mara''s eternity bands are held by 4 prongs instead of the shared prong. she did this so here bands would sit flush and not do any damage to each other. i just bought a shared prong band and i love it. However it is possible over time that it could damage a ring next to it. think about your lifestyle and how often you plain on wearing them. it you want to wear them all the time, expect some damage may eventually occur. soldering them together would be a safe way to go if you like the look and don''t mind it. in my opinion the shared prong sparkle way more the channel set. my sister has channesl set diamonds on her 3-ring and wedding band and it is beautiful, just not as "blingy." Good luck, any of the combinations you could go with will be gorgeous..

Ducky

Rough_Rock
Hi Rosy,
My husband will be buying me the new ring. He says that I should have the best quality diamond and he thinks that the Tiffany diamond doesn''t compare with the A Cut Above Hearts and Arrows diamond from Whiteflash. They also sell a setting that looks just like the classic round solitaire at Tiffany''s. So in the end, I will be happy with whatever my dear hubby decides. I''d like to have something that''s between .80 to .90 cts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results