shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Pearls of Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I was thinking, there are a lot of smart people here. And nice people. And funny people. The list goes on and on.

During your time on PS, is there anything you learned that you wouldn''t have normally come across? Any words that hit home for you? Any A-HA moments?

Just thought I''d put this out there for fun.

Oh, I''m not talking about subjects relating to diamonds because I think what we''ve learned here is a given!!

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
someone once said.. and i will not quote verbatim.. but it was something like when you meet the love of your life you want to hurry up and do everything.. rush to get engaged.. rush to get married.. rush to have a baby... there is no reason to rush.. just enjoy what is going on RIGHT NOW! that was an ah ha moment for me.. i am taking some time just being engaged before the wedding planning begins and its awesome!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread TGal! I don''t post very often, but I lurk daily and I discovered, to my surprise, that I have come to really care about what is going on in the lives of people I have never met. This is my first, and only, forum experience and I just never thought I would become so invested in it. As I go about my regular routine, I find myself wondering how so and so is doing coping with their problem, or how happy I am that so and so found that perfect dress. And, when someone goes missing, I find myself wondering and hoping all is well.

The other important thing I have realized about PS is how diverse people''s thinking and perspectives really are. I think that it is an invaluable opportunity for people, especially when they post problem issues, to really get honest and objective opinions that they probably wouldn''t get in their real lives. I am always surprised when people post and then get defensive in response to other''s ideas and opinions. Those honestly trying to help us see something from a different point of view really IMHO should be appreciated. I think it is a shame to waste such an opportunity.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to Catmom I no longer struggle with the aluminum foil roll
9.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aluminum-foil-who-knew.86416/

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since stumbling upon Pricescope I''ve amassed an *almost* Stmdr-worthy asscher, kick-azz recipes for Turkey Mushroom Lasagna & Chicken Souvlaki, perfectly cookie-smelling perfume, functioning-though-unwieldy Crock Pot, overstuffed wedding album, too many cameras, a lengthy bling wish list and a burgeoning addiction to rose gold.

I''ve also learned many new terms: "upgrade", "meh", "super ultra unbelievable H&A-ish with a twist of Ideal/Hand-selected/Premium-ness", "mind clean", "lady in waiting" and the heretofore unknown use of "pie?" as an exit strategy.

1.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 2:41:18 PM
Author: decodelighted
Since stumbling upon Pricescope I''ve amassed an *almost* Stmdr-worthy asscher, kick-azz recipes for Turkey Mushroom Lasagna & Chicken Souvlaki, perfectly cookie-smelling perfume, functioning-though-unwieldy Crock Pot, overstuffed wedding album, too many cameras, a lengthy bling wish list and a burgeoning addiction to rose gold.

I''ve also learned many new terms: ''upgrade'', ''meh'', ''super ultra unbelievable H&A-ish with a twist of Ideal/Hand-selected/Premium-ness'', ''mind clean'', ''lady in waiting'' and the heretofore unknown use of ''pie?'' as an exit strategy.

1.gif
lol deco... I LOVE MEH!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was in my last month of pregnancy, I was SO over it. As I approached my due date, I was getting more and more antsy. Someone (I think it was litigatorchick) said simply, "Don''t worry, you will not be pregnant in May).

I don''t know why, but it made me feel so much better. No matter how much I went over, I would not be pregnant in May. It was a tangible comfort for me and I felt so much better!

I have more, but will add them a bit later...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 1:33:39 PM
Author:TravelingGal
Any words that hit home for you? Any A-HA moments?
A thread that I remember being really inspirational was one of Gypsy''s job search/informational interview threads ... lots of great info about getting along with people and being easy to get along WITH.

If anyone is *really* interested ... this is my A-HA moment from this year. Not P-cope ... but web surfing nonetheless:

From Elizabeth Gilbert''s website

I have a friend who’s an Italian filmmaker of great artistic sensibility. After years of struggling to get his films made, he sent an anguished letter to his hero, the brilliant (and perhaps half-insane) German filmmaker Werner Herzog. My friend complained about how difficult it is these days to be an independent filmmaker, how hard it is to find government arts grants, how the audiences have all been ruined by Hollywood and how the world has lost its taste…etc, etc. Herzog wrote back a personal letter to my friend that essentially ran along these lines: “Quit your complaining. It’s not the world’s fault that you wanted to be an artist. It’s not the world’s job to enjoy the films you make, and it’s certainly not the world’s obligation to pay for your dreams. Nobody wants to hear it. Steal a camera if you have to, but stop whining and get back to work.” I repeat those words back to myself whenever I start to feel resentful, entitled, competitive or unappreciated with regard to my writing: “It’s not the world’s fault that you want to be an artist…now get back to work.” Always, at the end of the day, the important thing is only and always that: Get back to work. This is a path for the courageous and the faithful. You must find another reason to work, other than the desire for success or recognition. It must come from another place.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 2:59:28 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 9/10/2008 1:33:39 PM
Author:TravelingGal
Any words that hit home for you? Any A-HA moments?
A thread that I remember being really inspirational was one of Gypsy''s job search/informational interview threads ... lots of great info about getting along with people and being easy to get along WITH.

If anyone is *really* interested ... this is my A-HA moment from this year. Not P-cope ... but web surfing nonetheless:

From Elizabeth Gilbert''s website

I have a friend who’s an Italian filmmaker of great artistic sensibility. After years of struggling to get his films made, he sent an anguished letter to his hero, the brilliant (and perhaps half-insane) German filmmaker Werner Herzog. My friend complained about how difficult it is these days to be an independent filmmaker, how hard it is to find government arts grants, how the audiences have all been ruined by Hollywood and how the world has lost its taste…etc, etc. Herzog wrote back a personal letter to my friend that essentially ran along these lines: “Quit your complaining. It’s not the world’s fault that you wanted to be an artist. It’s not the world’s job to enjoy the films you make, and it’s certainly not the world’s obligation to pay for your dreams. Nobody wants to hear it. Steal a camera if you have to, but stop whining and get back to work.” I repeat those words back to myself whenever I start to feel resentful, entitled, competitive or unappreciated with regard to my writing: “It’s not the world’s fault that you want to be an artist…now get back to work.” Always, at the end of the day, the important thing is only and always that: Get back to work. This is a path for the courageous and the faithful. You must find another reason to work, other than the desire for success or recognition. It must come from another place.
Wow, I like that.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple "aha"s.

First, I''ve really learned that there is often MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Second, The Healthier Lifestyles Thread has helped me immensely and in more ways than I expected. I can''t pick any particular nuggets of wisdom because there is just so much!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Actually, I''m fairly certain my biggest "a-ha" moment came from one of Deco''s posts (and if it wasn''t Deco, I apologize for mis-remembering to the person who did say it). She said that sometimes you can do your best, but somebody in your life is toxic, and if they are it''s better to just move on and stop hurting yourself. I was stuck in a rut with a "friend" and that really helped me realize it wasn''t ever going to get better, and I could just let go.

Also, the Mommies thread has really helped me realize that it''s okay to not like being pregnant, but it doesn''t make you less of a mom once you''ve got the kid. And that not all moms hide the scary details to convert you to their side!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I''ve learned that Tgal has been lying and misleading us all along.
She is obviously never going to update her travel quote of the week.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/10/2008 3:07:07 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I have a couple ''aha''s.

First, I''ve really learned that there is often MORE THAN ONE RIGHT ANSWER!

Second, The Healthier Lifestyles Thread has helped me immensely and in more ways than I expected. I can''t pick any particular nuggets of wisdom because there is just so much!
Well AIN''T that the truth! (Especially if we''re talking about pizza.
2.gif
)

I love Mrs. Salvo''s oft-quoted "A deal is only a deal if you''re getting exactly what you want," and of course Dancing Fire''s mind clean vs. eye clean.

Not to mention I now know more than I ever imagined I would about cocktail rings...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 4:54:30 PM
Author: luckystar112
I''ve learned that Tgal has been lying and misleading us all along.
She is obviously never going to update her travel quote of the week.
Ha...I''m going for a Guinness Record, doncha know...

Stick around until 2012...I''ll change it then. Enough of a lure?
3.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
The kitty threads have been invaluable to me! My little guy thanks all the cat lovers here for making me into such a good slave
11.gif
I also lurk occasionally on the TTC, Pregnancy, and Mommies threads on the suspicion that I''ll need the info one day...although hopefully not for quite awhile. Right now, I can''t think of any particular quotes from other threads that have stuck with me, but I know that constantly reading other peoples'' opinions about a huge variety of subjects makes me more thoughtful and sensitive in real life, and I think that''s a huge asset for which I owe you all great thanks.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ve learn that Alj is the best debater on PS. nobody gets the best of Alj except for one guy.
9.gif
her match record
fence.gif
is 99- 1
nworthy2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 9:40:19 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''ve learn that Alj is the best debater on PS. nobody gets the best of Alj except for one guy.
9.gif
her match record
fence.gif
is 99- 1
nworthy2.gif
Those were the days.
2.gif
I miss them, but love her new role. She is doing a great job for WF!!!
16.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Mine was TGal''s observation that cheating doesn''t ''just happen'', it takes both parties ''building up a pile of kindling'', and without that kindling, a ''dropped match'' isn''t going to set off a blaze. And people know dang well when they''re stacking up kindling.

She also said that she deliberately avoided situations and the company of men where she found herself tripping over kindling.

I thought that was brilliant-- I despise cheating and would never do it myself-- it certainly debunks the excuse "it just happened". It was one of those "fist pump in the air" moments. It also meant that I was able to be actively cautious around male co-workers, etc, so when I felt the crunch of kindling underfoot, I could back away without feeling like I was being paranoid, and didn''t need to feel guilt over not being congenial! I often had trouble with my general friendliness being misinterpreted by men as grounds to approach me, so I felt like TGal''s analogy gave me freedom to stop being friendly out of politeness.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results