carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 12:43:14 PM
Author: EBree
Hello all! I know I''m not very active ''round these parts yet, but I do lurk. It''s just hard to type with one hand, the other wrapped around a baby.
1.gif

fiery- I feel your pain RE: overactive letdown. It''s been better this week b/c he''s been eating non-stop, but the week before, he was choking at almost every feed. I found hand expressing helps a lot as well as nursing him at an angle so that he was almost on top of the breast. It isn''t recommended for every feed (risk of plugged ducts), but is good in rotation.

kelley- What a beautiful family! Your daughter looks like she has your husband''s eyes.

mela- We''ve had great success with the Miracle Blanket (Henry was able to kick out of every homemade swaddle, but not the MB!), but Romy might be too big for it at four months. Might be worth checking out, though. I''ve also heard good things about the SwaddleMe.

Henry will be eight weeks this Friday, the day we''re leaving for a long weekend trip (just for fun). I''m a little worried about sleeping arrangements, as I''ve read hotel cribs aren''t always safe. We''ll probably bring him into bed with us, which will be interesting, since we haven''t yet transitioned to full co-sleeping. It seems easier than bringing a pack ''n play, but I will admit I''m still a bit nervous having him in bed with us all night when he''s still so floppy and delicate.

And because I don''t think I''ve shared a photo of him in this thread yet:
He''s very handsome EBree!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2009 5:06:19 AM
Author: fiery
Well Sophia has been awake since 10pm. That''s 7 hrs so far of her being wide awake. I''m calling her pedi in a few because I don''t feel like this is normal.
It can be. Amelia went 9 hours once.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I think Tgal should have another Bambino so that she can REALLY re-join this thread
27.gif
11.gif
27.gif
11.gif
27.gif
11.gif

Love seeing you around here T!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
DAISY is to die for!!!

quick update...just got jackie''s ears pierced
9.gif
...we have a family jeweler and he did it free of charge and she was a handful to say the least lol..he said he never see anything like it lolol...she was so strong and would elbow or kick him everytime he went in to do it ..took forever and lots of tears but she looks too cute and a mama matching blingy bracelet too
27.gif

AFM- AFF showed up ystdy at their exact 4 mos bday...when did it come for everyone else? or did it yet? and of course i wanted to go swimming ystdy and never used a tampon in my life! so i was sittin there in bathroom reading tampon instruction manual and my 4 yr old niece bangin on door that she gotta pee...so threw out manual and winged it
4.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No AFF for me yet but I am BFing full time and that delays it. I hope it stays away for a year at least! I plan to BF for 2 years.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 3:36:12 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
No AFF for me yet but I am BFing full time and that delays it. I hope it stays away for a year at least! I plan to BF for 2 years.
aahh didnt know that bfin affects aff

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
AF showed up for me 3 months PP, so at 4 months your lucky!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 3:46:14 PM
Author: MustangGal
AF showed up for me 3 months PP, so at 4 months your lucky!
guess so....but i never had regular periods (if any) to begin with (pcos) so im hoping pregnancy and birth may have me somewhat regulated again
33.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Pandora-Daisy is beautiful and you are stunning woman! So photogenic...I''m jealous.

Sabine-We have issues with swaddling too. We can only swaddle when she is completely passed out (usually right after a feeding). If not, she grunts her way out of it the entire time. Sometimes I''ll hear her grunting at night and when I go check on her, she has one hand out and is sleeping. Have you tried leaving an arm out to see what happens?

MG-Happy 6 months to Kyle!

NYC-I thought I had started my period since I stopped bleeding and then started bleeding again but my OB said it isn''t my period. I''m not looking forward to it again to be honest. Hope AF treats you well! LOL

~~~

So we started sleep "training." It''s really my own little silly attempt at getting some order in our home
3.gif
. Friday and Saturday night I gave her a nighttime lotion massage, put PJs on, swaddled, then fed on my bed in the side lying position. Once she was knocked out, I put her in her bassinet. She slept for 4 hours, woke to feed, and fell asleep immediately after for about 2 hours before waking and continued that way for the rest of the night but by then I was refreshed. Yesterday we didn''t have such luck. She woke up every hour to either be soothed or to feed. Hopefully tonight we''ll get another 4 hours.

And as a thank you for all of your advice, here''s my smiling baby! It doesn''t happen often. She''s sooo serious.

5292_538022836324_56302145_32020653_8078102_n.jpg

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, those pictures are great! She looks so much like you.

NYC - no AF yet, but I''m also exclusively breastfeeding. I mentioned to a friend a couple of weeks ago that I''d like it to stay away until we''re ready to start trying again, but she said that things don''t work that way.
3.gif

G started daycare today. We found one that we really really like, and they got an opening on Friday just in time. I''m not really enthusiastic about my first day as an essentially single parent (minus the financial strain of actually being a single parent), but I got through it. These days DH leaves for work around 5:30 pm and gets home around 8:30 am, and I work 8-4:30 with a 35 minute commute and dropping G off and picking him up from daycare, so I''m really only seeing DH for maybe 15 min a day and he doesn''t have time to do anything other than sleep and shower and eat when he''s home. I think that we can realistically get our house on the market this weekend though, fingers crossed, and hopefully it will sell quickly so that we can move away from here. Because this sucks.
And if I''m not around much, that is why.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
adorable pics pandora, ebree & fiery!!

nycbk - no AFF for me either (J is 7 mos old) but i''m also exclusively breastfeeding so that is probably why.
blen, so sorry things are rough for you guys right now. sending tons of house selling dust your way - hopefully things will work out for you SOON!

things are good with us. i can FEEL j''s first tooth!! it''s the bottom left one but i can''t see it just yet...exciting stuff. first crawling and now teeth - where is my itty bitty baby?!?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the photo comments!
1.gif

Ebree, Henry is just adorable! No doubt you''ve done your weekend away, but as far as hotel cots are concerned, over here they are nearly all pack n'' plays and D will not sleep in one of those
20.gif
. I took the mini armsreach with me on this trip, otherwise she just sleeps in our bed.

King-size doubles make a HUGE difference to your quality of sleep. Smaller doubles are a nightmare as you spend all night worrying that you will squish them. I normally push a chair or something up the side of the bed so if she does roll too close to the edge there is a barrier.

I do love waking up in the morning and seeing this little face with a big grin on it right next to me.
30.gif
It''s also very handy for feeding - D just helps herself!

NYC - Do you not worry about a little girl catching her earrings on clothes or something when she''s so little? My mother refused to let any of us girls have our ears pierced until we were 16 as she was so scared of us ripping our earlobes as my father has done rather a lot of repairs on his patients - that said I did my own at 14
27.gif
, but it worries me as well.

DD - thanks for the advice, I''ll have a go at the positive enforcement and see if it helps!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2009 9:41:41 PM
Author: Pandora II
The Intrepid Explorers as promised...
9.gif
Pan, motherhood really suits you and Daisy is thriving
face23.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep meaning to say that Henry, Sophia, Daisy, Romy, Kyle, and the twinks are so cute!! I don''t think I said that when you all posted pics recently!

Drum roll please... Hunter has cut his first two teeth!
36.gif

Both botton middle ones are coming through the skin this morning. I can''t believe it. Time is flying so fast
39.gif

I also wanted to add for all the moms of younger babies that recently I am starting to really enjoy being home and spending time with Hunter. He is changing so much and is so much more responsive and interactive and just plain fun to be with. And although he still wakes 1-2 times a night, I am not sweating it so much and am much more relaxed. All told, things are great with him and I. So just wanted to tell you that! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! LOL!

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
YEY Dreamer! You''re a GREAT MOM!
36.gif
I love hearing people happy. Happy people make me happy
9.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
sbde and dreamer, yay for teeth! Hope the process wasn''t too painful for your lo''s or you!

Pandora, that''s crazy cool that you went spelunking with Daisy! So cute!

NYC, any pics of the earrings
11.gif
I bet she looks adorable!

Fiery, I saw on the bump today that last night didn''t go well. Hope today is better!

Blen, I don''t envy your schedule. I''ll be able to commiserate soon on the single parent thing...dh starts his next rotation on Monday and the schedule is much more rigid...he''ll have nights of call and no more weekends off.

As for me, Jackson started something new as of yesterday/the night before. He''s always been a little gassy/fussy, but he started really choking on his bottles towards the end even though he still seemed hungry, having MAJOR spit up, and letting out this high pitched screeching cry at the end of his bottle. He would then cry in pain for an hour or so, and also wake up from his sleep in pain and with spit up all over his mouth. So this morning I called the pediatrician, and it looks like we''re switching to Enfimil genteleese and keeping him elevated in his crib for reflux. I really hope it works because there is NOTHING worse than knowing your lo is in pain and not being able to help them. I hope we''re not jumping the gun too though because it''s not like this happens after every single feeding...

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
sabine, so sorry to hear about last night. you''re right, there''s nothing tougher than seeing your baby in pain and not knowing what to do about it. i really hope that switching the formula helps jacks'' reflux. let us know how it goes!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
DD - Yay for teeth! Is Hunter having a hard time with them?

I must admit that I really love being with Daisy all the time and seeing all the changes every day. To the extent that Mrs ''I never want kids'' is only planning to go back to work part-time after my year''s leave ends...
9.gif

It''s easier now she likes toys and books - not that she is discriminating: spent 30 minutes ''reading'' a menu today and laughing at it - it was just black and white words, no pictures or anything but came in book form. My child is very strange
20.gif

Sabine - Once in a while Daisy gets bad wind and cries and pulls her legs up etc and the best thing I have found is to run a hot bath and then we both get in. So far it has worked everytime. She likes the water pretty hot - don''t know if that makes a difference or if it''s just her preference...

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say to Blen - so sorry you''re having such a rough patch. Your situation sucks the bag. Knowing you though, your house is going to show really well and sell in a snap. Good luck girl!

Fiery - glad to hear you had a good night. Hope for more of those for you
2.gif

Pandora - Romy is still disinterested in toys, books, anything. I''m looking forward to that stage. So far, he just likes to be held and stare and laugh. He''s so chill!

Sabine - good luck. Hope the formula change helps.

NYC - any pics of these earrings? My mom didn''t let me pierce until I was 8 - and that was only because I promised to stop sucking my thumb (which I secretly still did afterwards) lol

Starting to pack for our 3 week trip. We leave this Friday. Any suggestions from the BTDT''s? I''m thinking of bringing enough clothing to last me 7 days, and then just keep wash and wearing those same outfits.
33.gif

Oh, and since I''m still suffering excrutiating pain while BF, I went to see a LC today. She found a milk blister and popped it for me. Hopefully this solves my pain. It was never thrush, Damnit.
11.gif
I treated it for 2 weeks unnecessarily. Live and learn.
20.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 6:56:45 PM
Author: mela lu
Just wanted to say to Blen - so sorry you''re having such a rough patch. Your situation sucks the bag. Knowing you though, your house is going to show really well and sell in a snap. Good luck girl!

Fiery - glad to hear you had a good night. Hope for more of those for you
2.gif

Pandora - Romy is still disinterested in toys, books, anything. I''m looking forward to that stage. So far, he just likes to be held and stare and laugh. He''s so chill!

Sabine - good luck. Hope the formula change helps.

NYC - any pics of these earrings? My mom didn''t let me pierce until I was 8 - and that was only because I promised to stop sucking my thumb (which I secretly still did afterwards) lol

Starting to pack for our 3 week trip. We leave this Friday. Any suggestions from the BTDT''s? I''m thinking of bringing enough clothing to last me 7 days, and then just keep wash and wearing those same outfits.
33.gif

Oh, and since I''m still suffering excrutiating pain while BF, I went to see a LC today. She found a milk blister and popped it for me. Hopefully this solves my pain. It was never thrush, Damnit.
11.gif
I treated it for 2 weeks unnecessarily. Live and learn.
20.gif
Mela - the toys/books thing happened almost overnight. One day she had no interest at all and the next day couldn''t keep her hands off them. I have the soft usborne books and she loves those - especially page turning (much easier than the thick cardboard books).

I''m finding that some weeks babies seem to take their time with new stuff and another week they change from morning to night. Two weeks ago Daisy would never have enjoyed museums or tours of things. Yesterday we took her to the Belleek China Factory and today to an Irish Lace Museum and she loved them both. Got very excited looking at antique lace wedding dresses
11.gif
- daddy looked very scared! Obviously she has no concept of what she is actually looking at, but it''s nice that she seems happy and like she''s enjoying herself (and that I get to see things I want to at last!)

''Talking'' seems to be the same - last week there were a few noises, the last few days it''s like living with a corncrake in an echo chamber. She''s trying out whatever sounds she can make - and cranking up the volume.
20.gif

Packing: For two weeks I just took 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of decent trousers, one dress, 5 nursing tops and a couple of cardigans. I also took handwash soap for clothes. Most places will send laundry out for you and it''s back in a day or so, so I tend to pack things that can be easily washed and dried and don''t need special care.

For Daisy I took far more as she can get through a couple of outfits a day at times and even washing her stuff every day doesn''t always catch up!

Always worth remembering that unless you are heading for the North Pole, most places sell pretty much anything you will need.

One thing I have found useful is keeping a smaller bag inside my changing bag with a folded changing mat, wipes, diaper cream and 2 diapers so that I don''t have to spend time digging around whilst keeping one hand on kiddo. I leave the main bag with DH and just grab the mini-kit when needed when we are out.

I''m so sorry about the BF pain - that really sucks. I hope the milk blister going will help. The difference when it''s not painful anymore is amazing.

Talking of bf-ing, driving around Ireland I''ve seen loads of cows over here with young calves suckling - it''s not a common sight as normally they are separated early so that the cows milk can be used commercially, so I was taking a load of photos when DH comes up behind me and asks if I feel a bond with the mother cow! Funnily enough I rather feel that I do!
9.gif

Pic of DH and Daisy reading about Snails....

6489_255116715362_573075362_8352825_7632503_n.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mela I had a milk blister that was excruciating, like cut glass crunching in my nipple. I popped it and it went away! I hope it works for you! Mine returned for a while and I just had to make sure the duct stayed open and nursed in different holds to try to encourage flow from that one opening so it wouldn''t clog again. You might try that. As for packing, take as little as possible and plan to wash things regularly. You can always find a laundry mat when you travel I have found, and I personally hate having too much crap with me when I am on vacay. Romy won''t know if he is wearing the same thing every 3 days anyways
11.gif
I went travelling in europe for 7 weeks and all I took was a carry-on sized bag with wheels! That was extreme, but it sure made travel fun and easy!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Pandora LOVE the photos of you all caving, and of Daisy reading! So funny, I had a PS dream the other night - dreamed I was calling you over in England, and kept asking for Daisy (actually meaning you) - and didn't realize that with the time difference I was calling in the middle of the night. I *may* spend too much time on PS.

Congrats on deciding to go part time!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Can I ask everyone''s opinion on something? I found out about a Mother''s Morning Out program near me. Basically, one morning a week, for 3 hours, the kiddo goes to Mother''s Morning Out (like pre-school). It would be pretty much for my own sanity - a chance to have a little break, and schedule things like dentist appts, or whatever, that I can''t bring the baby to but that need to be scheduled during the week. It would also be nice for him, as he gets bigger, to have interaction with other kids (since he is an only child and I stay home with him.)

I visited one today (one that actually has a spot for us) and it seemed really good. Only problem is, just by chance, ALL the other kids that would be in his class are nearly 2. My A will be just barely 6 months when it starts. He won''t be able to do what the other kids are doing. Supposedly, the teacher loves babies and is really excited to have a baby in the class. I just hope he won''t be the odd one out, and miss out on social interaction. Selfishly, I''d love the reliable break every week, but is it a good situation for him? I also feel guilty spending the $ (although it is pretty reasonable and will not strain our budget) when I am a SAHM. Maybe i am overthinking this. What do you all think?

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Pandora - "it''s like living with a corncrake in an echo chamber" HAHAHA. You''re so funny!
3.gif
Thanks for the tips. Daisy is just so beautiful! She really does look a lot like you.

DD - My milk blister was back this morning (as was the pain), so interesting that you mentioned that. I re-opened the skin, and will keep an eye on it. I just feel so TIRED of dealing with my breast pain. I''ve been on a steady diet of Advil since the birth, just to get through feedings, and I''m so emotionally OVER dealing with the pain. That said, I love nursing and (this is my own preference) I don''t want to switch Romeo on to Formula. So I''m going to deal with it. I''m just so jealous of all you pain-free Mommas. DD, I too travelled Europe (for 6 months) in a small carry on! I''m a pro at packing lightly. My secret is rolling my clothes
2.gif
. Thanks for your tips too!

TanDog - DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTT. If for nothing but your sanity and ability to plan ahead. Don''t feel guilty at all. I HATE that us SAHM''s are made to feel guilty about needing some me time. Go for it and don''t give it another thought! In my experience, little ones learn so much from the older kids and LOVE being around them. The older kids love the "baby" so he''ll get tons of attention. I think its a win-win sitch!

Romeo slept last night from 7 pm to 4:45am without any of his pacifier shananagans!
36.gif
Fingers crossed that those "midnight games" are a thing of the past.
Oh, and he''s now become a drooling machine.

*Romeo 11w3d*

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh the terrible terrible irony! One day after proclaiming my desire for AFF to syat away for a year, she has sadly returned today
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I am surprised because although Hunter is 6 months old he is still exclusively breastfed and drinks a lot. On the other hand, a week or so ago I thought that I had some EWCF, and I wondered if this was coming soon. Also have felt a little bloated.

Sigghhhh its just another reminder that Hunter is getting older. I am not liking him growing up one little bit. I want my itty bitty baby forever!

I only have 4 months left of my mat leave and I am very sad about that. We move in 6 weeks so things are busy for me here trying to arrange it all, and then once we move it is only 2 months before I go back to wor. I feel like I don''t get to savour this time with Hunter.....

HE JUST SAID MAMA!! HAHA... he has been making the mmmmmmm sounds for a week or so but he just added the aaaa sound! What a great sound!

Mela It took about a week or so of keeping the blister open for it to heal and go away completely. I know exactly what you mean about the pain, I had it for about 2 weeks on one breast because of the blister. But I felt like you and would keep going through it too, BFing means that much to me. I feel certain for you that it will go away soon. As I menioned, try to change his latch -- side lying, leaning over him, cradle hold, football hold. Anything to stimulate the different ducts and get themilk pouring out of that blocked spot.

Blen Meant to say I am sorry for the poopy situation you guys are in! But I know it will change soon and you will have the lifestyle you want back.

TDM Yup, do it. Being a SAHM doesn''t mean you spend 24 hours with your baby. That is too much for most women. I think he will like the older kids and they will like him. Hunter loves when older kids come talk to him and touch him. It will be great for A!

Pandora Love that picture! Hunter doesn''t care about books, he more like chewing on things. But he is teething so to be expected.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Pandora - cute pic of Daisy with daddy!

TanDogMom - I say go for it. You can always stop after a few weeks if you don''t like it. When my mom was staying home with my little brother, she started taking kids for a few hours for other SAH moms. She ended up turning it into a business there was so much need for it! Too bad she never took time off herself, my little brother had crazy attachment issues as he got older. My LO goes to day care with mostly older children, and he does get entertained by all the movement and action around him. He also started roaring noises (the older boys have been playing dinosaurs), so I know he''s picking up some things from them even through he''s younger.

Mela - congrats on a good night sleep! I hope he keeps it up for you!

Kyle did wonderful with the sippy cup 2 nights ago, but last night was only interested for a few minutes. I think he was hungry and not getting what he wanted out of it. We''re going to try upping his solids intake and see if that''s what he needs. Only one stage 1 food left to try tonight, bananas
3.gif

*Kyle is 6 months + 1 week*

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
HI Moms!
35.gif

Just wondering, did you all have some sort of bassinet for the baby to sleep in your room at night the first few weeks?? Or do some people put baby in crib in the nursery from day 1 of being home?

Pandora Daisy is lovely with her daddy!!

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
tandogmom - that sounds like a super idea. please do it - you need some "me" time and i think you shouldn't feel guilty at all for taking it!

mustang - good luck with the stage 2 foods! i haven't really found much of a difference between 1 & 2 other than more options and the larger jar size. J eats 2 a day (morning and night) with cereal at both times.

sunkist - yes, i have the arms reach co sleeper attached to my bed and have a pack and play set up downstairs for his naps during the day. the co sleeper was a godsend for me because i really did not want to have to walk to J's room each time he woke up at night. i was such a paranoid worrying first mom that i just had to check that he was breathing umpteen times a night in those first few weeks haha
3.gif
i like the fact that it is attached to the bed so that i just have to reach over and pat him or pick him up as need be. in fact, he still sleeps in it at 7 months old (it's the full size cosleeper, not the mini) and i suppose i will have to transition him to his crib soon.

not everyone loved having the baby in their room though. i think dreamer had planned on cosleeping but her baby made too much noise at night (while asleep) that they found that putting him in his room early on was best for both baby and parents.

good luck!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Sunkist - we had Kyle in a bassinet at first, and even put him in bed with us a few nights (getting up out of bed after a c-section is hard!). At 4 or 5 weeks we moved him to his crib though. He made a lot of grunts and other noises while he slept, and kept waking me up. At that point he was also on a more regular schedule of sleep, so I knew when to expect him to wake.

Each baby (and parent) is different. I wouln''t buy a fancy/expensive bassinet, just because you may not use it at all or for very long. You might be able to just borrow one from family/friends. I had 3 people offering me theirs (MIL, SIL and my mom). It ended up being a political decision on which to use!

sbde - yeah, the stage 2 ones don''t look much different, but there are more variety at least. I have a bunch in my pantry, the store was clearing out flavors they weren''t going to stock any more, so I bought a bunch pretty cheap. Once I run out of those I think we''ll start blending up what we eat for him.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SBDE and Mustang! Haha, Mustang on making a "political" decision
9.gif
I keep secretly hoping a friend will offer me one, but maybe they''re all still in use
3.gif
Anyways, I don''t see anything on the market for under $100 really. I''ll keep looking! Or maybe TGal''s laundry basket idea would work!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results