shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Nyc - I Love the shoes!!!

mrs - I''m sorry Sage is sick, I hope the meds help her breath, and that you both get better soon.

DD - 4 hours does sounf liek a long time between feeding for a BFing baby. I hardly get Kyle to go that long on formula... Good luck!

The sitter said yesterday Kyle started moving around on the floor. She said it didn''t look like he was going anywhere, but if you took your eyes off him for a minute or two, then looked back there was progress. So of course I had a dream last night that he just suddenly started crawling all over the place
20.gif
... Sounds like it''s not far off though.

lili

Ideal_Rock
NF--
Squeeee....Max and Dex are so cute!

NYC--
Awww...your little ones are adorable in their outfits.

MGal--
Love that nekkid shot
30.gif

DD--
36.gif
36.gif
for Hunter rolling over.
He''s going to be mobile so soon.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs- sending get better vibes S''s way!...i hope she feels better soon!

Mgal- too funny..yup they will be crawling and wiggling around in no time.
yeh my sis has a shoe fetish and bought out all the Dolce & Gabbana and Moschino baby shoes she saw...they look so funny in them lol

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Apologies as need to catch up with last couple of pages, but am going slightly nuts...

Daisy is a complete angel at night - last night woke up once after 4 hours for 20 minutes and then slept another 4 hours until 9.30am. BUT... she has only just dropped off now and it's 9pm here. Yesterday she was up for 11 hours as well.

DH was working from home yesterday and could not believe that she can do it - and says he now understands why the house still looks a tip when he comes home! It is seriously exhausting trying to entertain her for that long and I did have a bit of a meltdown yesterday afternoon when DH said something less than 100% tactful.

I confess I just fed her now and when she dropped off I thought hooray! I am stopping her from doing the snacking thing though and even though she's not going to sleep at all she still only gets fed every 3-4 hours. Mind you, feeding her is a bit like being attacked by a shark - the moment she sees a bared bosom she launches herself at it with mouth wide-open, grabs hold and then gulps away for 5 minutes. Then she's done 'eating' but spends another 5-10 minutes doing the '3 sucks, pause for 15 seconds and then repeat' thing just for the hell of it.

She also frightened the life out of me during her bath yesterday. She's always had very strong legs (internal bruising during pregnancy assured me of that before the birth!), and she was sitting in the foetal position in her bucket up to her neck in warm water, I had a finger under her chin to stop her falling in/drinking her bathwater and all of a sudden she stands completely upright and waves her arms around
23.gif
. She's been trying so hard to stand up ever since - tonight it was like bathing a yo-yo (I think I was wetter than she was by the end
20.gif
). All day she just wants to stand up on my knee and be bounced...
14.gif

I wish I could think of a way of getting her to take a nap during the day, but she's just not interested and doesn't even seem to get tired - she's all happy as long as I am providing non-stop entertainment - otherwise all hell breaks loose and this kid could scream for England in the stamina stakes (car journeys have proved that one) and anyway, I won't do CIO or let her scream for anything more than the time I need to go to the loo at this age. I rang my parents for advice and they just laughed and said now I know how they felt with me and that nothing other than large amounts of Chloral ever worked with me. Since you can't drug your kid anymore I just have to amuse her. I've avidly read the Baby Whisperer chapter on sleep, but this one doesn't even yawn during the day!
39.gif

Anyone else with this problem - I'm going crazy...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora I have had similar types of days with HUnter where he will only have 2 30 minutes naps. It is hard. The best thing I can suggest is getting a nice comfortable sling or carryer of some sort, strapping her on, and then goign about your day! You can even go to the bathroom with her in it, just takes a little manoevering! That way, at least you don''t feel like such a complete slave to baby. Also, if you don''t have a play mat with the kicking lights and music attachment, get one! If she likes kicking, which it sounds like she does baded on her bath escapade, then she may be like Hunter and love that thing! Finally, feed her right before you hubby gets home then giver her to him and leave the house for 2 hours each evening. Saves my life! Even if you just sit at a corner cafe the time away is great!

So Hunter''s new fave "toy" is his receiving blanket! He is now happily laying on the bed with the fan on high (it is 90 deg here and we have no A/C) and smothering himself and laughing! Does this make me a bad mom?
3.gif
At least it isn''t a plastic bag!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 5:10:55 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Pandora I have had similar types of days with HUnter where he will only have 2 30 minutes naps. It is hard. The best thing I can suggest is getting a nice comfortable sling or carryer of some sort, strapping her on, and then goign about your day! You can even go to the bathroom with her in it, just takes a little manoevering! That way, at least you don''t feel like such a complete slave to baby. Also, if you don''t have a play mat with the kicking lights and music attachment, get one! If she likes kicking, which it sounds like she does baded on her bath escapade, then she may be like Hunter and love that thing! Finally, feed her right before you hubby gets home then giver her to him and leave the house for 2 hours each evening. Saves my life! Even if you just sit at a corner cafe the time away is great!

So Hunter''s new fave ''toy'' is his receiving blanket! He is now happily laying on the bed with the fan on high (it is 90 deg here and we have no A/C) and smothering himself and laughing! Does this make me a bad mom?
3.gif
At least it isn''t a plastic bag!
Got one of those - that is how I get to go to the bathroom alone! 10 minutes is the attention span though - even though she can get all the lights and noises to play no problem she doesn''t seem very distracted by them
15.gif

Glad to know other people have similar days. I might well try ''papoose'' mode and see how it goes...

LOL on the smothering...
9.gif

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
DD - it''s called The Baby Sleep Solution, but the baby boot camp part starts at 8 weeks. I was feeding her every 3 hours and she got used to that. She would nurse for longer. Now that I''m trying every 4 hours, I''m attempting to have her nurse even longer. I''m not sure why they suggest every 4 hours, but I''m not forcing it. The goal is to have her sleeping 12 hours through the night and feeding every 4 hours by the time she''s 12 weeks old.

I''m having that same issue today, Pandora. She wants to be entertained and only napped for about 10 minutes.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
OOOO PANDORA- i cant imagine what u are going thru...and u are alone with Daisy the whole day?? my LO''s have always napped throughout the day and if MIL wasnt here during days id go nuts so i totally sympathize....can u ask ur doc for some tips?? my pedi always seems to have some nice advice. usually kiddos get tired after they have been up for hrs...my LO''s have bags under their eyes after 4 hrs of uptime and they fall right out once they can finally get dozey. urgh wish i had some advice
7.gif

DD- hehe ...we are using burp cloths as blankies...we give it to them to grasp while they are eating or fussing. my niece (4) still uses it to comfort her when shes tired or upset...its very good to have smthg that soothes them. boo on no a/c..id freak!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
NF
Aww Max and Dex are so handsome. Max has nice hair. Love the uglydoll.

MustangGal
Kyle is so adorable and happy.

nyc
Jackie and James are so cute. Adorable shoes. We must have the same sister. LOL. My sis got M a pair of Dior shoes and a pair of Gucci shoes when she was younger.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 5:47:44 PM
Author: Courtneylub
DD - it''s called The Baby Sleep Solution, but the baby boot camp part starts at 8 weeks. I was feeding her every 3 hours and she got used to that. She would nurse for longer. Now that I''m trying every 4 hours, I''m attempting to have her nurse even longer. I''m not sure why they suggest every 4 hours, but I''m not forcing it. The goal is to have her sleeping 12 hours through the night and feeding every 4 hours by the time she''s 12 weeks old.

I''m having that same issue today, Pandora. She wants to be entertained and only napped for about 10 minutes.
I hope it works! Nursing longer is a good plan, sometimes they just seem to want to snack often and that is annoyring for sure! You can''t get anything done. I suspect that feeding 4 hours during a 12 hours wake period is ambitious with exclusive BFing or expressed BM because it is digested quickly, plus itss only 4 feeds. Perhaps cluster feeding in the morning and night to sneak in 2 more feeds could work though: so waking, +2 hours, +4 hours,+8 hours, +10hours, and +12 hours. Or else adding a couple bottles of formula for the extra 2 feeds could work. That way you get in 6 feeds which is the minimum recommended. Anyways, I''m sure you are doing whatever works best! When do you go back to work anyways?

I have decided not to worry about the sleeping 12 hours thing right now. Our doc said Hunter is a big boy and probably needs a lot of calories. On a good night when he wakes only once, I don''t mind it at all. Instead, what I am going to work on is getting him back to sleep without nursing when he wakes and I know he isn''t hungry -- say 2-3 hours after a feed.

I actually made a great discovery today about his sleeping! Naps have been an issue sometimes because when I put him down and he isn''t *totally* sleepy, he cries and gets all worked up! In the past I would pick him up or stand over him and pat him, but he would just get MORE worked up! Well today he was getting all worked up, and I was like "Okay, you don''t want to sleep, fine!" and brought him downstairs with me so I could eat. I was carrying him one armed while I cooked, but that wasn''t working at all, so I put him in the bassinet down there. Well he started crying, but I was like, "Well I need to east so he will have to wait a minute." To my surprise he soothed himself and calmed down within about 2 minutes!

So when I took him upstairs and put him in his crib, once again he cried but I just left the room and within about 2 minutes again he calmed himself and then just rolled around and sucked his paci and 5 minutes later was asleep.

This evening, DH was home and it was time for Hunter''s last nap of the day, and we did it again and he soothed himself again. So basically, us holding him and rocking him or something was over stimulating him and what he needs is to be left alone to calm down! Big discovery and one that I am going to take advantage of when he wakes at night and I know he isn''t hungry.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
QT- haha. Nice to have kool sisters like that! I think its ridiculous to spend $50 on a pair of baby shoes (and she bought like 10 pairs!)...but she doesn''t wanna hear it...when I dress them in the BRU onesies...she wants to hurl lol!...she always dresses them in boutique clothes...oh well can''t complain lol

DD- that''s a great discovery! I wish my kiddos did that ..but alas...they don''t wanna soothe themselves lol

jas

Brilliant_Rock
ROCK ON DREAMER!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NYC Supposedly babies can''t do it at all until about 3 months... so a long ways yet for your twinks!

Thanks Jas!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 8:10:18 PM
NYC Supposedly babies can''t do it at all until about 3 months... so a long ways yet for your twinks!

Thanks Jas!
hey now...we turn 3 mos on july 16
4.gif
..time flies when ur having fun lol!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 9:10:21 PM
Author: nycbkgirl

Thanks Jas!
4.gif
But how early were they born? Don''t forget to subtract those weeks from the "expected" timeline for things! But yup, I can''t believe how fast these months have gone by. I am going to blink and Hunter will be a teenager
39.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 9:21:49 PM

Date: 6/24/2009 9:10:21 PM

Thanks Jas!
4.gif
But how early were they born? Don''t forget to subtract those weeks from the ''expected'' timeline for things! But yup, I can''t believe how fast these months have gone by. I am going to blink and Hunter will be a teenager
39.gif
aaahhh yes goes by actual due date..ur right
3.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NYC How many weeks were they when they were born? I forget...

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 10:10:36 PM

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 6:37:42 PM

Date: 6/24/2009 5:47:44 PM
Author: Courtneylub

I hope it works! Nursing longer is a good plan, sometimes they just seem to want to snack often and that is annoyring for sure! You can''t get anything done. I suspect that feeding 4 hours during a 12 hours wake period is ambitious with exclusive BFing or expressed BM because it is digested quickly, plus itss only 4 feeds. Perhaps cluster feeding in the morning and night to sneak in 2 more feeds could work though: so waking, +2 hours, +4 hours,+8 hours, +10hours, and +12 hours. Or else adding a couple bottles of formula for the extra 2 feeds could work. That way you get in 6 feeds which is the minimum recommended. Anyways, I''m sure you are doing whatever works best! When do you go back to work anyways?

I have decided not to worry about the sleeping 12 hours thing right now. Our doc said Hunter is a big boy and probably needs a lot of calories. On a good night when he wakes only once, I don''t mind it at all. Instead, what I am going to work on is getting him back to sleep without nursing when he wakes and I know he isn''t hungry -- say 2-3 hours after a feed.

I actually made a great discovery today about his sleeping! Naps have been an issue sometimes because when I put him down and he isn''t *totally* sleepy, he cries and gets all worked up! In the past I would pick him up or stand over him and pat him, but he would just get MORE worked up! Well today he was getting all worked up, and I was like ''Okay, you don''t want to sleep, fine!'' and brought him downstairs with me so I could eat. I was carrying him one armed while I cooked, but that wasn''t working at all, so I put him in the bassinet down there. Well he started crying, but I was like, ''Well I need to east so he will have to wait a minute.'' To my surprise he soothed himself and calmed down within about 2 minutes!

So when I took him upstairs and put him in his crib, once again he cried but I just left the room and within about 2 minutes again he calmed himself and then just rolled around and sucked his paci and 5 minutes later was asleep.

This evening, DH was home and it was time for Hunter''s last nap of the day, and we did it again and he soothed himself again. So basically, us holding him and rocking him or something was over stimulating him and what he needs is to be left alone to calm down! Big discovery and one that I am going to take advantage of when he wakes at night and I know he isn''t hungry.
Congrats DD. What you discovered was C-I-O.
2.gif

People think CIO means hours of screaming (which for some, it can be, don''t get me wrong), but for others, it just gives them a chance to sort themselves out and learn how to self soothe (especially if you''ve been working to try to give them ways to do so, which you have done). Mothers need to give their LOs time to figure things out. I am sure it doesn''t always work, especially for the LOs that vomit, but how is anyone going to know if they''re always picking, patting, soothing when the baby is upset? It''s also why I have been saying the pick up, pat, over and over method seems to be even tougher than CIO sometimes because it DOES get them worked up (more the patting than picking up, I think, although picking up pisses them up when you put them back down!) Also, as you have found out, CIO works better when the baby is younger (but not too young...most books will say that 3-4 months is the earliest to try it) and has been conditioned to learn how to self sooth. CIO for a 9 month old just is not going to be as easy.

Hope it continues for ya.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
NF, your boys are so so cute!

Nyc, oh my! Your two are just picture perfect!!

30.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Tgal!
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 11:58:35 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I actually made a great discovery today about his sleeping! Naps have been an issue sometimes because when I put him down and he isn''t *totally* sleepy, he cries and gets all worked up! In the past I would pick him up or stand over him and pat him, but he would just get MORE worked up! Well today he was getting all worked up, and I was like ''Okay, you don''t want to sleep, fine!'' and brought him downstairs with me so I could eat. I was carrying him one armed while I cooked, but that wasn''t working at all, so I put him in the bassinet down there. Well he started crying, but I was like, ''Well I need to east so he will have to wait a minute.'' To my surprise he soothed himself and calmed down within about 2 minutes!

2.gif

People think CIO means hours of screaming (which for some, it can be, don''t get me wrong), but for others, it just gives them a chance to sort themselves out and learn how to self soothe (especially if you''ve been working to try to give them ways to do so, which you have done). Mothers need to give their LOs time to figure things out. I am sure it doesn''t always work, especially for the LOs that vomit, but how is anyone going to know if they''re always picking, patting, soothing when the baby is upset? It''s also why I have been saying the pick up, pat, over and over method seems to be even tougher than CIO sometimes because it DOES get them worked up (more the patting than picking up, I think, although picking up pisses them up when you put them back down!) Also, as you have found out, CIO works better when the baby is younger (but not too young...most books will say that 3-4 months is the earliest to try it) and has been conditioned to learn how to self sooth. CIO for a 9 month old just is not going to be as easy.

LOL! Its hard to use that label because for Hunter is is "Waaa Waaa.. grumble grumble bruble... zzzzz" The actualy crying is only about 30 seconds or so. Now that we think about it, he does the same thing when we put him in the car seat or put a hat on him. I''m surprised we didn''t figure it out sooner.

The strange thing though is that the crying when we put him down only really started about a month ago. Before that he was content when we put him down! Just goes to show there is always something new with babies.

I agree that it just won''t work the same way with more persistent babies or older ones! My friend is in the midst of using CIO with her 9 month old (nothing else works). She cries for 45 minutes or more each time! Today is day three of the training, hopefully it goes better.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 11:58:07 PM

Date: 6/24/2009 10:10:36 PM
So you can add at least a month to any "due dates"! So maybe by 4 months? Keep truckin''!
9.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Lol. Im tryin.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer - we discovered the same thing with Kyle about a month ago. He only crys for a minute or two, and it''s just amazing to me how they can go from full cry to snoring in nothing flat! He also loves to grab burp rags or bibs and wave them around, cover his face, and wipe his mounth. We''ve been letting him go to bed now with a bear my mom gave me, it just has a head with some rattles in it, and the bottom half is a small blanket. He like to hold on to thing so much that it helps keep his hands from distracting him when he falls asleep.

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi! This is my first official post in the mommy thread, which still feels kind of surreal. I posted a pic & info in the preggo thread - but here''s an updated one because everyone loves baby pics, right?

Alex is 4.5 weeks now..

Anyhow, I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been giving sleep advice - specifically Tgal, Tacori, and Dreamer. I have been avidly reading everything (really even back when I was pregnant - I even saved entire posts to remember for later!), and using different tricks here and there. Our current issue is that I can''t get Alex to go to sleep easily, and if he does sleep, it has to be ON me. And if I move him, he always wakes up. It was so easy those first three weeks - then we had a growth spurt and ever since, I''ve found he just can''t put himself back to sleep! So, right now we have been trying the ''watching for yawns, then swaddle and put in swing'' (a la tgal)..that didn''t quite get him to sleep so we added the vacuum sound (a la tacori). It has worked well enough that I''ve been able to get stuff done around the house - which hasn''t been possible lately and driving me crazy. And now we have clean floors and furniture (use the handi-vac when possible!!) to boot.

So, I''m officially ordering Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child today in case Alex isn''t exactly like Amelia and I have to do something besides watching for three yawns!! My sister also gave me Babywise, which I am reading but the other book I have said that Babywise isn''t great. So, again, I am taking tgal''s advice and just reading for knowledge of sleep. And then I''ll explain it all to my husband and implement a plan shortly. Right now we''re focusing on the ''sleep conditioning'' that Tgal so wonderfully explained. I''ve tried to look at Alex''s sleep/schedule as a ''project'' (a la dreamer), so that has helped with my sanity as well. Projects take time and focus, so it''s okay if the house isn''t dusted or Alex''s clothes still aren''t organized!!

I have been a member of PS for 3 years, but really don''t post much (in fact, most of my posts start out with ''i know i don''t post much...''). I have figured out part of the reason is because everyone is always already posting about the things that I need to know so I can just read what they wrote instead of writing out my whole situation again!

On another note, my push present is ordered and I can''t wait! It was also inspired by Tacori''s Tessa ring (it''s a Beverley K that''s been customized - which I found out could be done because of Tacori). I had been working on that design since I got engaged, 2.5 years ago!

So, just a big THANK YOU to everyone who posts. Just wanted you to know that people appreciate it, even if they don''t post about it!

ps_brgirl_alex_sleep.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Awww brgirl, he''s cute! Just keep trying different sleeping things until something works, every baby is a little different in the combo it takes to put them out.

And welcome to the mommy threat
36.gif

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Brgirl- he''s such a qtpie!!...yeh im lovin all our experts here too...every baby is so diff and u have to try diff techniques to find the right one (just like formula, which im still tryna figure out)....good luck and don''t be a stranger ;-)

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks MustangGal & NY! We think he's pretty cute ourselves! Thanks for sharing your sleep issues, too. I really learn from everyone's posts and situations!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 7:30:56 AM

Date: 6/24/2009 11:58:35 PM
Author: TravelingGal

2.gif

LOL! Its hard to use that label because for Hunter is is ''Waaa Waaa.. grumble grumble bruble... zzzzz'' The actualy crying is only about 30 seconds or so. Now that we think about it, he does the same thing when we put him in the car seat or put a hat on him. I''m surprised we didn''t figure it out sooner.

The strange thing though is that the crying when we put him down only really started about a month ago. Before that he was content when we put him down! Just goes to show there is always something new with babies.

I agree that it just won''t work the same way with more persistent babies or older ones! My friend is in the midst of using CIO with her 9 month old (nothing else works). She cries for 45 minutes or more each time! Today is day three of the training, hopefully it goes better.
Interesting point! I have heard a lot of babies cry in the carseat, and we have no choice to let them cry and don''t think that it will scar them, but many of the same people would have an issue with letting a baby CIO in the crib. Perhaps because we CAN do something about it then.

No doubt about this though: CIO SUCKS. It is never fun, sometimes may not work and things should be done to lay the groundwork so you don''t have to use this method. The longest I have heard Amelia cry was about 10 minutes. Every minute feels like an hour.

Hope things still continue to go well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results