shape
carat
color
clarity

Pros/Cons to LM PINK Halo Engagement Ring

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
I nthink that if the ring speaks to you, go for it! There was a pink halo from ERD a whole back and it was lovely. I will see if I can locate it

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should go for it. I love the THOUGHT of something special and unique going into a ring. Plus, it isn't half ugly :)

I also love the idea and feminity of pink diamonds (it is about 50% of all that I talk about in PS), and i think in the coming years the ring will have a story and will seem more special.

I'm personally not a fan of halos, but the purpose of this halo seems perfectly fine to me. I think that unless your centerstone is below 0.5ct, it won't affect the look much.

I do agree with Kenny's view though on LM. I'm still looking out for an E-ring maker, but have pretty much settled on Victor Canera. I've spoken with him and he is extremely polite, a good communicator and not a Diva at all. He also does wonderful micropave and halos all handworked. LM was a strong candidate given the large amount of praise heaped onto him from many people here. But when I tracked the negatives as well, there were far too many for comfort. I decided to park my money elsewhere.

From what I hear Steven Kirch who used to work with Leon Medge is also wonderful to work with and is located in the same place. Just for your consideration.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I'm not into pink or Leon, but I'd make an exception on both accounts for that ring :bigsmile:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
DISCLAIMER: Did not read your responses

I used to love pink diamonds in settings but I made one and quickly fell out of love. I would stick to white diamonds around the halo.

Leon does exceptional work and I am very pleased with my ring from him. He treated me well and I will be happy to go back to him again. I have 3 rings from Leon.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1310057299|2963855 said:
I would not put a pink diamond halo on an engagement ring. Just because someone has a favorite color does not mean they would want the color incorporated in their engagement ring. I love colored stones for right hand rings, however.

Unless the girl has specifically requested a pink diamond halo, then I wouldn't even consider it. I would either have it set in a white diamond halo or present her the diamond in a solitaire setting and allow her the fun of picking out her permanent setting design.

I agree with this. I absolutely adore everything pink but I wouldn't want a pink diamond halo on my ering. As a RHR I'd love it. I do love the idea of surprise pink diamonds though.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I think the ring is pretty but I would not want it for an ering. An LM ring is a lot of money so perhaps propose with the stone and let her pick the setting to make sure it is what she would like.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1310062440|2963944 said:
bearrific|1310058317|2963871 said:
Christina...|1310056495|2963838 said:
I've read that your g/f likes pink, and you and I posted a bit last night, so I think that she would appreciate the fact that you incorporated something about her personality into the ring. I also understand what some of the other posters are saying about the halo not having the enlarging effect that it would if it was done in white diamonds, but you have a 1.5 ct now which is a very nice size stone so I don't think you need to be concerned about enlarging it's appearance.

I also don't think that this ring will look like a RHR, I think that there would be no doubt that this was her engagement ring.

You seen to have a very strong pull toward this setting, so obviously in your heart you feel that this is the ring for her, I think that perhaps you are second guessing yourself because it is just outside of traditional. Just ask yourself, is your g/f a bit on the outside of traditional? Does she want a ring that is a little different than the ones that all her friends and family have? If so then this could be the ring for her!

As to Leons ettiquete....I do hear that he is hard to work with, others haven't had a problem with him at all. I'd be sure to read his 'rules of engagement' and follow them. I've also heard that he does better over the phone than he does via email, so you may want to reach out that way after the inital contact. Do you live in the NYC area?

Thanks for the input! I'm not worried about enlargening the diamond, more affecting the sparkle and brilliance.

Yes, I do have a strong pull towards it. I definitely want to get something for her in a traditional sense (halo setting) but with a twist (make it pink!). She is in the fashion industry and dresses very colorful, so I think she would like the fact that it is unique but nothing too gaudy.

I do not live in the NYC area -- I live in Houston but I read his website and I have dealt with Vatche and a different ring who is also in NYC.

I really think that the pink diamonds will compliment the center stone. I know that you are concerned about the pink halo affecting the performance of the center stone, but I just don't see this as a concern. You should keep in mind that by going custom, the ring will be yours, whether you love it or hate it when its finished. There is a lot of stress involved when working on a custom piece. Leon (or whomever you choose) will have many questions and options for you and expect you to be able to make an informed decision of your own. I suspect that he will NOT be patient if you have specific questions that he feels aren't worthy of discussion. He's a masochist, but he's amazing at what he does. However as others have said he isn't the only amazing designer out there. I think that we talked about Steven Kirsch last night? Anyway, I'm rambling, if you are really leaning toward the pink halo have you considered going with one that doesn't have to be custom made for you? In the event that you are disappointed you will have the option of returning or exchanging the ring, this may be a better option for you if you are feeling unsure about your choice. Custom jobs are not for the faint hearted, they can be extremely stressful and many experienced PSers loose plenty of sleep waiting. Just an idea....

OMG!!! :oops: THIS is exactly why I should always always ALWAYS re read my post! I just went back and re-read this thread and realized that i called Leon a masochist! YIKES!!!!! Ok what I meant to say was a narcissist! I'm sure that Leon would love my error! Okay so I'm really embarassed, hopefully you all know that I misspoke and that I really have no idea what Leon is or isn't! :lol: Aye yi yi! Sorry but it was good for a laugh right?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a beautiful ring, however I personally would not want pink diamonds in my engagement ring. But other women would love the idea of it, its all a matter of personal preference. You just have to know if YOUR GF would like this. Just because she likes the color pink and works in the fashion industry doesn't mean she wants pink in her engagement ring. And if you aren't 100% sure, I would do as several other suggested and propose with an inexpensive temporary setting and let her pick her forever setting.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would HATE it. While I am a girly girl, it's just not professional-looking. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it at the office.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I think the pink is a nice gesture but not on the halo itself.

Have you considered asking Leon to put the pink diamonds on the shank leaving the halo white? I think its a much more subdued look that will show her that you thought of her tastes.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1310140813|2964709 said:
I would HATE it. While I am a girly girl, it's just not professional-looking. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it at the office.
Really? I've never thought of anyone's engagement ring as being professional-looking or not professional-looking. It's a gift/promise from a fiance so how can it have anything to do with one's profession?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1310148504|2964836 said:
Really? I've never thought of anyone's engagement ring as being professional-looking or not professional-looking. It's a gift/promise from a fiance so how can it have anything to do with one's profession?

Pink = girly in a childish way = not serious lawyer

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I agree with MissStepcut that it's a young look. The woman who wears this ring, I picture her having a bedazzled cell phone, maybe a lot of Hello Kitty. There is nothing wrong with that and the execution of the ring is no doubt top-notch, but it's a young look IMO. I can see it on Paris Hilton or on Vienna from The Bachelor a few seasons ago.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with all white diamonds if you opt to do a halo. That's enough of a twist off the traditional solitaire to stand out IMO. Classic rings are so for a reason and have stood the test of time. I wouldn't do a pink halo unless you are 100% your girls wants one.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
My ring has both pink diamond and pink gold, and it in NO WAY looks childish. I would never be the woman who has a blinged out cell phone or hello kitty t-shirt. I think my ring is unique elegant and ultimately feminine.

I think it is wrong to make judgfements about a person's being based on their ring chioce. That would be like me saying someone who has an all white ring is boring, and willing to follow the norm like a herd of cows, while someone else would just say the all white choice is ''classic".

I say trust your gut you know your Girl better than anyone here get what you love, given from you, the man she wants to spent the rest of her life with, she is going to be bowled over and love it.

Can not wait to see the final ring
:bigsmile:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1310148771|2964841 said:

Goodness, I'd never choose a lawyer based on what I thought of her engagement ring! I'd look at her track record in court if she is a litigator, and I'd look at her reputation as a competent practitioner for other areas of law (estate law, e.g.).

Besides, isn't the OP's gf in fashion? Not law? The OP's gf is no doubt young -- there's nothing wrong with a "young" ring. Believe me, once you get to middle age, most of what's in jewelry stores looks "young." That's the nature of trends and fashion. Most people change their settings at least once during a long marriage -- settings wear out; fingers change size; and, tastes and styles change.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

d.jpeg

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1310184901|2965286 said:

Seriously! I am no lawyer..actually I sell coffee and peanut butter and jelly for a living.... Not a fan of pink but love :love: pink diamonds... Clueless as to why?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
karpouzi|1310149480|2964851 said:
I agree with MissStepcut that it's a young look. The woman who wears this ring, I picture her having a bedazzled cell phone, maybe a lot of Hello Kitty. There is nothing wrong with that and the execution of the ring is no doubt top-notch, but it's a young look IMO. I can see it on Paris Hilton or on Vienna from The Bachelor a few seasons ago.
I think this sums up what I was getting at. This ring seems like it belongs on the finger of a youthful celebrity, not a professional.

The fact that OP's future fiancée is in fashion and not law doesn't persuade me much. In fact, if anything, it persuades me in the other direction. A fashion-conscious woman may well prefer a neutral-colored palette, and is all the more likely to be judged by her clothes and accessories in her field.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I think the idea of slightly subverting the colour combo and putting the pink on the shank (possibly enhanced by rose gold?). This might be a way to make the bi-coloured touch more subtle and yet more unusual at the same time (both of which I personally would appreciate). Maybe it's the perfectly powder-pink colour of the pink melee that brings people's mind to Hello Kitty/Bedazzled Blackberrys etc? It didn't occur to me, but I sort of get where they're coming from. If the background metal was rose gold it might change that kind of look "up" very slightly to make it more of a deliberate colour choice rather than merely a sprinkling of different colour (hard to express, but I hope you understand what I mean).

Mind you, my upcoming ering will be a green tourmaline flanked with champagne diamonds set in rose gold, so I'm not really up on the idea of "professional" looks :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1310196890|2965341 said:
The fact that OP's future fiancée is in fashion and not law doesn't persuade me much. In fact, if anything, it persuades me in the other direction. A fashion-conscious woman may well prefer a neutral-colored palette, and is all the more likely to be judged by her clothes and accessories in her field.

I can't help but agree, honestly - to me it's not classic, it's cutesy. Nothing wrong with that at all, except - given that she does work in that one industry in which she will be judged by her own fashion, including the jewellery she wears, I too wonder if she wouldn't want something more - indisputably classic and neutral. The fact that some on here feel the same way is an indication that in all probability some of her clients will, too, right or wrong as that may be... in contrast absolutely noone can find fault with a simple, elegant solitaire. And you could always get her a pink diamond eternity to wear beside it - complementary, unique, and fulfills the pink criterion :sun:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lula|1310181143|2965253 said:

Goodness, I'd never choose a lawyer based on what I thought of her engagement ring! I'd look at her track record in court if she is a litigator, and I'd look at her reputation as a competent practitioner for other areas of law (estate law, e.g.).

Besides, isn't the OP's gf in fashion? Not law? The OP's gf is no doubt young -- there's nothing wrong with a "young" ring. Believe me, once you get to middle age, most of what's in jewelry stores looks "young." That's the nature of trends and fashion. Most people change their settings at least once during a long marriage -- settings wear out; fingers change size; and, tastes and styles change.
While I am glad you feel that way, empirical research on the subject suggests that we are all judged harshly by first impressions, and lawyers even more so. You say that, when you don't have a "record" to look at (and by the way, I am not sure that's such a great method; the most competent lawyers are going to attract the most long-shot cases, since they're harder) that you'll rely on "reputation." A big part of "reputation" is one's offices, address, and appearance in fields where laypeople often don't understand what they're being sold (auto repair and medicine also come to mind).

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Seriously? Seriously??? :tongue: Seriously??

Sigh. I would hire a lawyer with a pink blinged out hello kitty phone encrusted with purple swarovski crystals just so long as she has a great legal record. I mean, when I am looking for a lawyer I haven't been paying attention to their rings and phones.

Dang. How wrong could I have been.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1310200152|2965350 said:
MissStepcut|1310196890|2965341 said:

I can't help but agree, honestly - to me it's not classic, it's cutesy. Nothing wrong with that at all, except - given that she does work in that one industry in which she will be judged by her own fashion, including the jewellery she wears, I too wonder if she wouldn't want something more - indisputably classic and neutral. The fact that some on here feel the same way is an indication that in all probability some of her clients will, too, right or wrong as that may be... in contrast absolutely noone can find fault with a simple, elegant solitaire. And you could always get her a pink diamond eternity to wear beside it - complementary, unique, and fulfills the pink criterion :sun:

totally agree with both of these! I'm also much older than the young gals getting engaged so that quite possibly could have something to do with my opinion. But I do have some first hand experience on trends to base my opinions on and why I think a classic ring, especially if the wearer isn't going to get to have a say in choosing the setting, is the way to go. I think the pink wedding band is a great idea instead of the halo, if the future girl wants it....

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I think its going to hinge on how well you know her tastes in general and whether she's the type of woman that would be open to appreciating a ring she may not have thought of herself. As you've heard on this thread, some women are NOT open to appreciating a ring that may be a bit different than what they would have chosen themselves.

PS attracts a female audience that is passionate about diamonds and wants a high level of control in the process of creating an engagement ring. But despite what men think, not all women think alike, so at the end of the day, you know your GF better than any of us. You have to go on what you know and what you're comfortable with.

I still like the idea of putting pink diamonds on the ring - just not on the halo. There are a lot of beautiful rings with surprise pink diamonds and the effect is really nice. The problem with a pink halo is that the pink then becomes such a strong visual element of the design that it may clash with some of her outfits (my favorite color is blue but I have some outfits that don't go with blue) or even another favorite piece of jewelry. And most women expect to wear their engagement ring with everything.

If you weren't so strongly leaning towards a halo, I'd suggest something like this from Van Craeynest with pink diamonds on the side rather than white. Don't get me wrong, halos are my favorite style but I'm trying to think of how you can add the pink in a subtle way so its noticeable but not the main attraction. Halos are so eyecatching that putting pink there adds too much but a white halo would totally overshadow small pink side diamonds.

vc484.jpg

Lula

Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1310206682|2965372 said:

Seriously? Seriously??? :tongue: Seriously??

Sigh. I would hire a lawyer with a pink blinged out hello kitty phone encrusted with purple swarovski crystals just so long as she has a great legal record. I mean, when I am looking for a lawyer I haven't been paying attention to their rings and phones.

Dang. How wrong could I have been.

:lol: You and me both, Tristan, based on MissStepcut's last reply!

To the OP, you can see by the wide-variety of opinions on the appropriateness of a pink diamond halo, that if you do indeed choose this ring for your future fiancee, it will attract comments and attention -- and you mentioned in your earlier thread that your girlfriend is not the show-off type. She may indeed love the pink diamonds and it may fit her personal style perfectly; however, will she be comfortable wearing a ring that will attract more comments and "looks" than a "traditional" ring?

If you've spent any amount of time on PS, you must have noted that the PS approach to engagement and wedding rings is very, very traditional and conservative. I'd wager to bet that over 80% of the regular posters here wear either a plain solitaire with an eternity band, or a three-stone with either a plain band or an eternity band. The other 20% wear diamond halos, antique or vintage rings, and rings with colored stones as the center stone or as accents. You may get a more broad response to your question if you post it over in the colored stones forum. Many of the regular posters on CS have engagement and wedding rings with colored stones in them, and there are many posters in that forum who are fancy-colored diamond lovers.

One other thing -- those posters who have mentioned going with a more traditional ring for a surprise proposal have a point. I am not a fan of surprise proposals and surprise rings, but if this is the route you want to go, and you are not absolutely sure about the appropriateness of a pink diamond halo for your gf (and you must not be absolutely sure, if you're asking us for our opinions!), then either propose with a more traditional ring, or propose with a diamond in a temporary setting and go pick out the final setting together.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I knew there was something I forgot to add. If you think she values the spirit of a surprise which usually means she wants a personal touch from YOU, the safest option can be disappointing. A round brilliant solitaire in a 4 prong tiffany style setting that she sees on every woman around her may not show that personal touch.

But this is why I go back to - you have to know your girl. Is she the type who knows exactly what she wants and tells you before you even ask or is she the type of girl that you've been able to surprise before and she's been able to take what you give her and work with it and appreciate it? Are you the type of guy that won't get upset if she loves everything about the ring but one thing and wants to change that one little thing?

On second thought, it may not be a good idea to get a custom ring because it doesn't leave her the possibility of wanting to changing something even ever so slightly without your spending additional money.

bearrific

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

While I see where everyone is coming from on both sides of the argument, I'm still having trouble deciding whether to go with a white halo or pink halo.

I've discretely asked her what style she likes so I know she'll love a halo. She's explicitly said numerous times that she trusts my judgment and that she absolutely knows whatever I get her she will fall in love with no matter how big or small the diamond is, less expensive or more expensive (sigh of relief).

She's a small town girl from Texas so she knows how to live simply because that's how she grew up, but she also appreciates style and enjoying the fruits of your labor as well as the "big city" lifestyle.

I guess the problem isn't that I'm worried she isn't going to love it, the problem is which one (white halo or pink halo) is she going to be MOST in love with!

Decisions Decisions!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd ask her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results