shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sara and Yssie!!!
12.gif
35.gif

Rocksalt

Rough_Rock
So back to the origianl question, I am going to call GOG and set up an appt to see this one stone and hopefully some others that are in our budget. I am feeling that they are great place to put my trust and $$, agreed?

Btw, thanks again for all the support.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 10:22:48 AM
Author: Rocksalt
So back to the origianl question, I am going to call GOG and set up an appt to see this one stone and hopefully some others that are in our budget. I am feeling that they are great place to put my trust and $$, agreed?

Agreed and that sounds like a plan.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Agreed. Good old Gold is very well-respected here, and you are fortunate that you get to see the stones in person. So, Rocksalt, I guess you never realized how predictive your tag line would become, given the strange twists and turns of this thread?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 10:28:43 AM
Author: sarap333

Agreed. Good old Gold is very well-respected here, and you are fortunate that you get to see the stones in person. So, Rocksalt, I guess you never realized how predictive your tag line would become, given the strange twists and turns of this thread?
Sara, you read my mind
emdgust.gif
....I was just thinking the same thing....

must be my creepy avatar....

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 10:30:56 AM
Author: Lorelei

She''s watching...she''s always watching...
23.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 10:39:07 AM

Date: 3/18/2010 10:37:04 AM

23.gif
lol.gif
Hey, I like this avatar. Now the dolls head, THAT was creepy!

Wink

Rocksalt

Rough_Rock
Haha SPJ... if only i could predict this weeks lotto numbers.

Thanks again to all.... i''ll let you know how the roadtrip to Long Island and GOG ends up.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 11:22:26 AM
Author: Wink

23.gif
lol.gif

Wink
curtsey.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 11:26:12 AM

Thanks again to all.... i''ll let you know how the roadtrip to Long Island and GOG ends up.
You are welcome and actually its been a good thread, thanks for allowing us the opportunity to debate, educate and help within it! Best of luck with the GOG trip and let us know how you get on!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

Thanks again to all.... i'll let you know how the roadtrip to Long Island and GOG ends up.
Rocksalt,

I just skimmed the argument in this thread, I thought I would add a few things in my own words and experience:

1) Use the ASET to see where the diamond collects its light. If its mostly red like most GOG signature princess cuts, its a great performing diamond. Take a look at Whiteflash ACA princess cuts, or High Performance Diamonds Infinity princess cut \ as well they all will have similar ASET images, while some will have more red than others, compare any of these to your average princess cut which will have a lot more green especially on the edges of the stone. These branded princess cut diamonds will look larger than their faceup size as even the edges draw light from overhead and thus they will sparkle more and be brighter than your average princess cut.

2) I have heard a few posters and some vendors make comments over the last few months like "Symmetry is only Good or Very Good which could impact brilliance", I've never until reading this thread seen the girdle is uneven and this could impact performance. Those comments are really outdated which while they could be true, they are only useful when you aren't able to see the diamond in person or aren't able to see an ASET image or video. An ASET image CONFIRMS or denies where the diamond receives its light and a good one trumps any of those little tricks one might have used before reflector technologies were invented.

3) It is quite common in a well cut princess to see girdle thicknesses such as thin to thick or medium to thick, the thick parts are often done on purpose on the corners for durability . Princess cuts are fragile and prone to chipping especially at the corners so that is often the intentional source of girdle variation.

4) I don't want to get into more technical discussion in this thread but in rounds there have been very lengthy discussions on painting and digging (intentional changes to the thickness of the girdle at particular facet junctions) including a very in depth article by the executive director of the American Gem Society Labs Peter Yantzer found here. All of this to say that the effects of girdle thickness can be seen in an ASET and Idealscope images and your particular case I see absolutely no cause for alarm due to variation in girdle this is certainly not affecting the light performance of the diamond you are considering.

Regards,
CCL

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 11:57:46 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Thanks again to all.... i'll let you know how the roadtrip to Long Island and GOG ends up.
Rocksalt,

I stopped reading this thread;s argument many posts ago just rediculous to me. But I thought I would add a few things in my own words and experience:
Actually I don't believe any of the points made were ridiculous, outdated and inaccurate maybe, but it is a good thing to be able to discuss these matters from time to time to clear up any misconceptions and because of that C you and others made some excellent points that will help other consumers, thats a very good write up you produced. To me thats a great result from any thread.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:05:17 PM

Rocksalt,

I stopped reading this thread;s argument many posts ago just rediculous to me. But I thought I would add a few things in my own words and experience:
Actually I don''t believe any of the points made were ridiculous, outdated and inaccurate maybe, but it is a good thing to be able to discuss these matters from time to time to clear up any misconceptions and because of that C you and others made some excellent points that will help other consumers, thats a very good write up you did. To me thats a good result from any thread.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
LOL second time you replied before I had a chance to finish editing ugh I have to use the preview button before submit.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 12:08:35 PM

Date: 3/18/2010 12:05:17 PM

Rocksalt,

Actually I don''t believe any of the points made were ridiculous, outdated and inaccurate maybe, but it is a good thing to be able to discuss these matters from time to time to clear up any misconceptions and because of that C you and others made some excellent points that will help other consumers, thats a very good write up you did. To me thats a good result from any thread.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
LOL second time you replied before I had a chance to finish editing ugh I have to use the preview button before submit.
Sorry!
35.gif

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I have to admit that I not a huge fan of the princess cut over other square cuts, BUT THAT IS REALLY PRETTY!!!

I think the GF would love it.

Rocksalt

Rough_Rock
So CClL, you have seen the ASET and clarity piicture that i posted? And you also agree that it is a stone worthy of the "best girl ever"?

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the deal: It is is spec for what she wants (and it is) she will love it.

Slap that rock in a pretty setting, get engaged, get hitched, and be happy!

The fact that your rock came from one you love is the point!

I have a really nice 2.75 carat honker upgrade ring with all the scopes, loupes, ASET images, plots, pics, cert, appraisails, etc on one finger and on the other hand, my little .15 Mall Store Mutt Ring I got when we got engaged in college many moons ago. That is the one I can''t replace and the one that in truth is closest to my heart.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 12:44:13 PM
So CClL, you have seen the ASET and clarity piicture that i posted? And you also agree that it is a stone worthy of the ''best girl ever''?
The ASET look very good, better than many I have seen, but just to be sure post the link to where the diamond is on the GOG website and I''ll look over everything.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you are actually in the enviable position of going to GOG to see this diamond and can compare it with others you will soon know when you see it! Images and other info can''t always adequately show performance and beauty or even the magic of a diamond, nor can they account for your own taste and preference.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Best to put it on hold. Back in a few with more comments.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ya, call GOG and put it on hold ASAP.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 1:27:05 PM
Here is the link, but don''t tell anyone, I don''t want them sniping my stone (haha). Thanks for the look!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6510
Ditto everyone else. Please put that diamond on hold, ASAP. This thread has tons of views, so you know it''s been seen by everyone, registered members and lurkers, alike!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Here is the link, but don't tell anyone, I don't want them sniping my stone (haha). Thanks for the look!

1) Really like the cut, one of the best ASET images of virtually any princess I've seen on GOG's website and elsewhere.
2) Grade setting inclusions include a cloud and no facet plot on the diamond dossier report. When going to GOG ask Jon or others to show you where the inclusions are and ask about the cloud. That would be my only potential concern. Look at in different lighting from 12 inches away(or whatever your standard is) and decide if you can see the inclusions or not and if they bother you. Also look for a hazy or cloudy appearance in some lighting, I doubt you will find this as this diamond comes with GOGs lifetime upgrade policy but never hurts to be sure especially with SI2 a grade setting cloud.
3) Girdle seems fine, just ask about the durability of the corners (usually you would ask an appraisor to do this for all princess cut diamonds).

If its eye clean to your standard than its one heck of a bargain, you pay a premium for D color but its more than offset by the SI2 clarity in this case.
Great thing about GOG is they have many princess stones in your price range that you can compare it to:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6512/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6943/ (Strong blue Fluorescence at least worth seeing the appearance even if you don't buy it :)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7062/ (No info on cut, but worth at least comparing as its bigger)

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 11:52:40 AM

23.gif

lol.gif

Wink
curtsey.gif

I loved Lady P!!
But I like this one too, Miss.
13.gif

Rocksalt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments. I will reserve stone now.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 1:57:36 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 3/18/2010 11:52:40 AM

23.gif

lol.gif

Wink
curtsey.gif

I loved Lady P!!
But I like this one too, Miss.
13.gif
Thank ye kindly Coaties!!!
smoke.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the link, but don''t tell anyone, I don''t want them sniping my stone (haha). Thanks for the look!

I thought you were going to reserve the stone....? Or have you changed your mind and have decided to go for something else?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results