shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricing and The Leo Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nick17

Rough_Rock
Hello all -

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased my first piece of jewelry ever - and it just so happens that it was a $7000 engagement ring. And of course, I''m curious to know if I could have done better. I purchased a Leo Diamond from Kay''s. Here are the specifics:

Weight: 0.97 CT(s)
Color: Near Colorless (G)
Clarity: SI(2)
Cut: Princess
Polish/Symmetry: Good/Good

This diamond was $6499 retail. I negotiated down to $5600. Does this seem like a reasonable price considering the specs and that it is a Leo Diamond? And, are Leo Diamonds "worth" the extra money?....and why?

In addition, I saw a similar Leo Diamond for sale....and I''m curious if it may be better than the one I purchased, while around the same price. The Gemex Light Performance Analysis of this diamond was a little better than the one I purchased. Here are its specs:

Weight: 0.97 CT(s)
Color: Near Colorless (H)
Clarity: VS(1)
Cut: Princess
Polish/Symmetry: V Good/Good

As I said, this diamond''s Gemex report returned better results than mine. Do the tradeoffs from "G" to "H" in color, and from "SI(2)" to "VS(1)" in clarity pretty much make these diamonds equal? I''m thinking about switching because this diamond has less inclusions.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks a lot.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Nick!
Well, first of all, since you already own the diamond we should say- Congrats!
The goal should be to ensure you''re happy with your new diamond- and trying to learn about prices after you''ve bought may not be very satisfying.....but here goes:

I don''t think you''ll find a lot of support here for that brand of diamond, or it''s ability to retain value.

- and now that you have found quality internet sellers, you will find far lower prices for similar diamonds- a lot lower......

BUT- you own it now- if you ( or your lady) loves it, that''s the most important thing

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Nick17, congrads with your stone and welcome to the forum.

As with any non traditional cut it is very much a matter of personal taste. You can find different point of vies here by searching the previous posts.

For example: Leo Diamonds- are they worth the $$?, etc

ademello

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your new diamond!!!!

The Answer your looking for is if its worth the money. The Information you provided off the Cert isn''t complete enough for a fair independent evaluation. Some of the missing info is: Reaction to Longwave UV., Total Depth Percentage, Table Percentage, Culet Size (if Any) Crown Angle, Crown Height Percentage and Table Percentage. I Personally like to see the overall beauty of the Diamond. Try and find a Reputable Appraiser in your Area who is a Graduate Gemologist and member of at least one of the Appraisal Organizations. AGS ASA ISA ect... . Personaly I Grade and Appraise Diamonds all the same no matter whether purchased from a full service store, the web or a local dealer. However its better not to indicate where the diamond came from at all. Keep that to yourself and I think you''l get a straight answer. If I can Reccomend an appraiser in your area, Please let me know.

Sincerely, Arthur DeMello GG (GIA) National Gemological Laboratory - Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results