shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Tahitian pearls on sale!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
dmz, my last post was made before I saw the linked photos. The colors look so much better -- Pricescope seems to "flatten" the colors in pictures. You have some spectacular colors in that strand: blues, aubergines, rainbows, copper. The center pearl is lovely. I would ask PP to suggest which pearls to remove. Just make sure you keep the periwinkle and the rainbow pearls on each side of it.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Pinkjewel, that's such a pretty strand. :love: :appl: It goes so well with your complexion. Congratulations!

dmz

Rough_Rock
bsomlo|1408159942|3733431 said:
You are officially killing me with those three links. How can you choose which to remove? Each is so special.

If I HAD to, I guess I'd remove the last two because they're smallest and possibly hidden by hair. And then the next two. [snip]

That would be my default thinking, but I didn't know if you had to go from the end or not.

Fly Girl said:
Gorgeous strand, dmz. Great, great pearls, love the variety of colors and the shapes. You've got blues, great peacocks, gorgeous silvers that I bet have beautiful overtones, aubergines, wow.

As for what to take out, just go with what they recommend. There is nothing like seeing the pearls in person.

Looking again. Look at the rainbow on a couple of those drops. On either side of that periwinkle one. Don't let them take the periwinkle (left side, 7th from the end)! Wow!! :appl: :appl:

And the pinks on that big peacock near the center (19th from the right end). Gah! :clap: Nice strand. :mrgreen:

I laughed a bit when you pointed out which one was the periwinkle, assuming that I didn't know. (I didn't :shifty: ) And I agree, it's very nice. I just called it blue (hey, I'm a guy).

Is there a standardized chart for colours?

4Ranch Girl said:
DMZ there are some really, really special pearls chosen for your wife's necklace. After looking at all of the pearls...first I would thank my lucky stars that there was a mix up because you sir scored! Second I would say that you love all of them and to make it up as is..no matter the length. Offer to pay for the extra length what ever it is. Some of those pearls are bi-colored so very interesting. That is what will facinate your wife as she looks at all of the different colors and each pearl by themselves over time. Look at the reflected light on each pearl and the shape of the relflection...there is not fizzy edges so those are very high luster pearls. Low luster pearls the light sorce is fuzzy. They have gone above and beyond in the quality of these beauties for you.

Yes, I was wowed when I saw the pictures. They almost don't look real. I'm hesitant going with longer than 18" since we're venturing into territory that I know nothing about. The pictures I posted a while back (wedding shots) are 16" length and I know she wears them with many different things. I think I would have to risk ruining the surprise by asking about lengths of necklaces with her. Not sure if it's worth it.

Do you have a photo of these infamous blues that you're talking about? You've piqued my curiosity.

I wonder if I should show my wife this thread when it's all said and done. :think:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
If you read the PP blog I was interviewed back in the early part of the summer and told how they were aquired with pictures. Fly Girl posted on her ruckus thread seeing them with pictures too.

7-14-2012_2_15_09_p_mourning-blue__pearlstahitian__2_2.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My close up from the ruckus of 4Ranch Girl's green strand along with her blue body strand.

4ranchblue20140726_0.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1408134552|3733180 said:
and my photos

Pinkjewel, I can't get over how gorgeous your Tahitians are! Such a pretty color and they look so nice against your skin!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HHPmom, I love the rich green of your Tahitian rope. The shapes are really pleasing and the luster is out of this world! Can you post any pictures of it on?

dmz, your new strand is... tdf. Please post pics of your wife wearing it once you get it.

dmz

Rough_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1408166169|3733494 said:
If you read the PP blog I was interviewed back in the early part of the summer and told how they were aquired with pictures. Fly Girl posted on her ruckus thread seeing them with pictures too.
Very nice. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how different pearls look in different light. I think I'm going cross-eyed with all the pictures.

baby nurse said:
dmz, your new strand is... tdf. Please post pics of your wife wearing it once you get it.
Definitely. I'll start a new topic when the time comes. I wonder if my wife will let me put the light box on her head :lol:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1408139596|3733229 said:
Frost Me|1408111840|3732942 said:
Kay|1407991345|3732059 said:
Fly Girl|1407981417|3731952 said:
cmd2014|1407980634|3731940 said:
Flygirl that's the one!!! If you ever find it missing, you'd have to frisk me first!!! I have been coveting it ever since you posted it!

LOL! :bigsmile:

And, here is the photo I took of Kay's beauty from the ruckus. Pictures truly do not do this strand justice. It is breathtakingly beautiful in person.

Just to be complete, and I'm all for adding eye candy to a thread. :naughty:

You are very sweet. I just wish I had had the strand on straight, lol. I totally drool over your Kamoka strand and those gorgeous clasps.

Kay, I was interested in the pearl sizes in your strands, and color range. Are they all Tahitians yes?

There are 9 White South Sea pearls, 6 very dark, almost black Tahitians, and 14 gray Tahitians in different shades of silver and steel. The center WSS is 14.2 mm, IIRC the next pair on each side is 13.8, then 13.4, 13.2, 12.8 and on down. I believe the smallest pearls in the back next to the clasp are around 9.8 mm, but I am not certain about that measurement (somewhere around 10 mm plus or minus a little). A few of the WSS drops had already been matched as pairs for earrings. The center WSS was selected for its size and because it was more oval than drop shaped, so it works well in the center of the strand, with the drop shaped pearls going up on each side. The Tahitians were selected from bags of loose pearls that had not been made into strands yet. I tried to match the pearls across from each other on each side as well as I could for color, size and shape.

Kay, thanks so much it is nice to know what one is visually looking at for size.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
dmz|1408168032|3733511 said:
4Ranch Girl|1408166169|3733494 said:
Very nice. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how different pearls look in different light. I think I'm going cross-eyed with all the pictures.
DMZ a good thing to remember about pearls is they are created by a living animal not mined from the earth and cut into a shape. With pearls you get what the oyster gives you if they give you anything at all.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Pinkjewel, that strand glows, I am also interested in the described colors in the listing if you can post it. Fabulous!

Dmz… well the new pictures are stunning, the strand has outstanding colors. I agree to pull from the ends of the smaller pearls.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Frost Me|1408169573|3733519 said:
Pinkjewel, that strand glows, I am also interested in the described colors in the listing if you can post it. Fabulous!

Dmz… well the new pictures are stunning, the strand has outstanding colors. I agree to pull from the ends of the smaller pearls.

I see the description you posted sorry. Luminescent green(kind of a light olden green) with peacock overtones of pink and lavender.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Thanks baby monster, bsomio, HHPmom, caro40, and Kay for all your very kind comments. I wasn't planning on purchasing a shorter strand as I really wanted a longer rope, but I think I'm going to have to make an exception as I really like these pearls. :love:

cmd2014 and Frost Me- here are the exact words in the PP listing. "luminous green body color with peacock orient shimmering around each pearl with striking pink and purple overtones. The pearls exhibit very clean surfaces and sharp, mirror-like luster."

The pearls do go towards a "camo" green color in some lighting with not as much of the rainbow effect visible, but I happen to love that sort of loden green color and it's one of my favorite colors to wear, so it's a win-win for me. :appl:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom- as usual your new pearls are magnificent. I'd love to play in your pearl drawer any day!!

dmz- wow, just wow- that strand will be gorgeous! I would also agree with just taking the small pearls from the end of the strand. And, yes, PS does desaturate photos. I've noticed it even when the photos are not re sized, too.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh dmz as I anticipated your (guilt) strand would be outstanding and it is! In the link photos it has similar patterning to my strand but yours has the delicious blues. I'm jealous! Your wife will love it, happy anniversary to the two of you! BTW I am going to send my strand back to PP to have a couple of pearls swapped out. I wasn't happy with the quality of them.

pinkjewel,cmd, baby monster, mintea, pkinnew, Fly Girl... stunning strands. They look fabulous on each of you.
cmd, I love the shape of the pearls on your strand. The colors are TDF.
HHPmom, that green strand is luscious.
Kay I can't wait to see your pearls when you receive them.
Frost Me, that strand is DDG!
I'm sorry if I missed anyone. I'm really loving everyone's contributions :love:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me three on the vote to just take off some of the smaller pearls at the back to shorten. Or.....the other thing you could do is have them put the type of basket clasp on it that let's you self-adjust length to suit your neckline of the day. With this type of clasp the extra pearls just dangle down the back in a really pretty way when you're wearing it short. I recently had an extender made for my $$$ akoya strand and it has made it so much more wearable...short on days when I want it close to my neck, longer for lower necklines...it's fantastic! Makes it so much more flexible. Plus, that way you would not have to lose pearls, and if she decided that she really only wore it short and wanted earrings in the future, you'd have some already perfectly matched pearls to do that with.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1408161538|3733448 said:
I’m curious about the 2 shorteners on your beautiful multicolor strand – do you use them to style the rope a special way?

I use them to keep the pearls in place so they don't shift. Wearing them double sometimes they shift and one loop ends up being too long and the other ends up slightly choking your neck.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
baby nurse|1408167385|3733508 said:
HHPmom, I love the rich green of your Tahitian rope. The shapes are really pleasing and the luster is out of this world! Can you post any pictures of it on?

Thanks BN. I don't have any strand in this shade so I am happy my DH spotted it on the tray at PP. I am OCD. This morning I have already cut it up, rearranged some pearls, got rid of a few and will be knotting sometimes today or tomorrow. I am going to use a toggle clasp in case I double it (intending to put big pearls at the front and maybe use the toggle to hang a pendant). Will see how it looks after I finish and will post pics.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HHPmom|1408138034|3733215 said:
pinkjewel, that necklace was made for you and you only. It is perfect for your complexion :love: :love: :love:

I picked a 35" DEEP green rope at the ruckus. I have not seen a whole strand of this green shade before. I am very pleased to have picked this one and don't mind the little knobs on a couple of the pearls. I want to replace one pearl that looks darker than the rest. You can see it in the picture with the multicolor rope.
Amazing color on this rope. Such even color throughout with the exception of that one pearl.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Through DH's artful photography skills, the new strand looks close to PP's glam shot (middle strand). Unfortunately, he says it doesn't actually look that way IRL.

This is the closest to what I see.

dsc09762.jpg

dsc09767.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Baby Monster, thanks for the out-loud laugh. We should toast our poor hubbies who put up with our pearl madness...

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: I second that, bsomlo!

Baby monster they look amazing on you! What a great purchase.

mintea

Rough_Rock
LOL, I love hearing about other people's husbands and SOs being subjected to pearly madness. I grilled my boyfriend a couple days ago about whether or not I should keep my necklace and the first comment he offered up was "I like them. Nice and fat." :lol:

I am beginning to think that pearls "waking up" is a real thing. My strand looked so good today that I can't believe that my first reaction was disappointment. They still look just like a super dark, non-descript grayish color quite often, but when the overtones come out to play they're really special. I couldn't help but take more pictures.
1pearlhang.png 1pearlfernj.png
1pearlnecku.png

pinkjewel, your strand is so heartbreakingly beautiful. It suits you perfectly, too. I think I had either that strand or a very similar one in my cart at first, and I feel an intensely sharp pang of regret for not getting one of those "luminous greens" now! If another one along those lines is added to the sale I may have to stretch my budget further than I intended so that I don't have to deal with that "one that got away" feeling.

dmz, the pearls that PP picked out for you to make up for the mix-up are drop-dead gorgeous.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mintea|1408222662|3733855 said:
LOL, I love hearing about other people's husbands and SOs being subjected to pearly madness. I grilled my boyfriend a couple days ago about whether or not I should keep my necklace and the first comment he offered up was "I like them. Nice and fat." :lol:

I am beginning to think that pearls "waking up" is a real thing. My strand looked so good today that I can't believe that my first reaction was disappointment. They still look just like a super dark, non-descript grayish color quite often, but when the overtones come out to play they're really special. I couldn't help but take more pictures.

Well....I have to admit that I dragged DH to Birks (the high end jeweler here in Canada) today to make him look at an intensely green overtoned Tahitian and white gold & diamond enhancer that I saw while getting an earring fixed yesterday, that I desperately want even though I have spent all my $$ on the PP sale plus some. This led to a full on pearl case peruse. He was a good sport about it, but I'm not sure I'd push things into the realm of photography for posting here! (Although he did give me a number of funny suggestions for a new online handle and thinks it's hilarious that I have found a community for yet another one of my obsessions).

Your pearls are beautiful Mintea! I love the overtone rainbows that you can see in your 1st neck shot, and the flash of red in the centre pearl in your last shot. I was feeling a bit of pearl envy about yours and Caro's truth be told. Mine weren't looking super lustrous or alive to me either until I wore them yesterday. I kept thinking that they seemed grey and dead. Then they seemed to perk up.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BM, your new strand has amazing luster, but I can see why you are not sure that they are a good fit for you. You can see some colour variation with the lighter silvery pearls and that one stunning gold one, but the rest struggle a bit in the photos that you say look most like RL to differentiate from each other much (they almost look like a matched strand, which would be a bonus for some people, but not for others). I've certainly seen some strands in person where the colour variation is striking. If that is what you want in your heart, then for the price of your strand you might be better off seeing what else PP might have. I think we work too hard for our money to spend it on large purchases that we don't love.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1408209982|3733751 said:
Through DH's artful photography skills, the new strand looks close to PP's glam shot (middle strand). Unfortunately, he says it doesn't actually look that way IRL.

This is the closest to what I see.
What a perfect neck shot. Love all of your strands together.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
doubledouble|1408060752|3732626 said:
Here is "Strand B". This one is really pretty too, but there are some blemishes I don't think I can live with. I have pictures of them here, but there are a few others. The most egregious is that one of the pearls right next to the center pearl has this non-nacreous chalky yellow knob one on end. Another pearl further up the strand has a similar one. I was pretty surprised by this on a strand labeled as "little to no visible blemishing".

[/img] img_5857.jpg

img_5859.jpg

Thoughts????????

Hi doubledouble,
It is normal for baroque and drop Tahitians to have those knobs at the end. Even high-end strands have them. I am attaching 2 strands from Tara Pearls and the links here. One is over $81,000 and the other is over $1,200.

http://www.tarapearls.com/561/bbq1316b?catName=Pearl%20Strands&catSlug=pearl-strand

http://www.tarapearls.com/1548/bcr0430911w4-1195?catName=Pearl%20Strands&catSlug=pearl-strand

tarastrands.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
dmz, that is a very colorful strand PP is putting together for you. I think your wife will be very pleased.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pkinnew|1408133542|3733170 said:
Neck shots!

I don't know how I missed the picture of you wearing your new Tahitian rope doubled, pkinnew! It's fabulous on you :appl: !

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1408244263|3734028 said:
Hi doubledouble,
It is normal for baroque and drop Tahitians to have those knobs at the end. Even high-end strands have them. I am attaching 2 strands from Tara Pearls and the links here. One is over $81,000 and the other is over $1,200.

http://www.tarapearls.com/561/bbq1316b?catName=Pearl%20Strands&catSlug=pearl-strand

http://www.tarapearls.com/1548/bcr0430911w4-1195?catName=Pearl%20Strands&catSlug=pearl-strand

:o Just shocked that that those slightly circled drops are $81k, even with a fancy clasp. :o :roll:

No thanks. :hand:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results