shape
carat
color
clarity

Post-wedding haircut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I know, I know....I''ll preface this by saying I''ve read the thread which states that a post-wedding haircut is NOT a good idea. But my situation is different, I promise!

I''ve been growing my hair out for over a year now. Mainly for the wedding updo I *love*, and a little because, well, I''ve been lazy (and a lot has been going on!).

It''s mid-way down my back and all one length. It tangles every night when I sleep, and I have to force knots out of it in the shower. It''s icky, and flat, and boring. I hate it. I haven''t had it this long since the 5th grade, and once we''re back from the honeymoon (which will be in less than 2 months! Eek!), I have to chop it off.

...but I need your help in deciding what I should do. A little bit about my head: It''s HUGE (not fishing for compliments, here, I swear- it''s just big), and kind of square. I have somewhat large features, and my face is pretty full.

What I want: Something little-to-no fuss. Something that won''t make my full face look any fuller than it is.
Maybe bangs? I haven''t had bangs since I was 7 years old. For those of you with bangs, are they low-maintenance?

So, ladies of PS: What do you think? Any suggestions, comments, and criticism are welcome!

Before I forget, here''s a picture of me, taken in June. It isn''t the greatest, but it''s the most recent I have.

ebreeneedshaircut.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ebree, you are adorable!!!

Okay, I grew my hair super long for the wedding so I could do an updo. I also made sure it was Long enough to donate to Locks of Love (kids w/cancer w.a need for hair to make wigs). I think it needs to be 10 inches. I think a bob would be super cute on you since you have such a pretty face!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what Skippy said! You are adorable!!!

All this time I thought you looked like a Pug! haha
2.gif

I like long side bangs and maybe just some shape around the face, nothing crazy....your hair is pretty as it is!

M~

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew my hair out for the wedding too...superlong so that it would still be long when the whole head of it was loose-curled for the big day. I chopped off a bunch of it afterwards too. Felt great.

I think you would look great with a fresh new cut!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Jeesh - by your own description I was expecting a big ol pumpkin head. You''re Gorgeous!!!

I say NO bangs and cut right at the jawline so that it swings and moves.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
how short are you thinking about?
if short - i totally think you''re channeling katie holme''s new hair cut.

katie-h.jpg

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
You are too cute

Try out some styles HERE You can play around with lots of different looks before doing the deed.

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
I agree with jcrow because as soon as I saw your picture that is exactly the cut I thought of for you!!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your kind words!
1.gif

I'm thinking short, but not too short- I still want to be able to pull it back into a ponytail (it can be a tiny ponytail, though!).

jcrow/Kasey3- It's funny you mention Katie Holmes' new cut, because my fiance mentioned he'd really like it on me a while back, and I LOVE it...but I just don't know how it'd work with my head/face shape. Also, it looks a little too short to be pull-back-able, but I could likely modify it.

Vegas- Thanks for the link!

E B

Ideal_Rock
This style (Sandra Bullock) might be close to Katie''s but would require a bit less maintenance. The only problem is, it''s so safe, and I''ve done it before. I want to do something different, but I''m afraid I''ll end up regretting something too drastic. Eh, hair always grows.

For the women of PS with bangs- are they high-maintenance? What are the easiest kind of bangs to have?

sandrahair.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i have fringe bangs. and i hadn''t had bangs since i was itty bitty. they aren''t much maintenance once i discovered hair spray! a light hairspray kepts them out of my eyes.

what about nicole richie''s hair? something like this or even a bit longer. it''s classic and clean looking yet still youthful.

nicole_richie222.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
or maybe heidi montag''s hair.
(i think an inch or two shorter than this would be perfect)

heidi333hairshorter.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks jcrow! That's really cute. I'd probably want more layers in it, though, because naturally, my hair's a little wavy and that looks like a 'do you need to own a straightener for. (And I don't!
41.gif
)

ETA: I missed the second picture! Very cute, and more my 'texture'. I'll definitely save it for the hairdresser.

I'm beginning to realize that something like this is going to require an actual stylist, rather than an $8 job from Supercuts. Dang!
9.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I like the Sandra B haircut. I think it would look great on you.

I say no to bangs. Everytime I have gotten bangs I have regretted it. Very high maintance for me. but my hair is wavy/curly and the bangs were a pain in the butt. I prefer the non bang looks on others as well. Not a big fan of bangs.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 4:20:55 PM
Author: asscherisme

I say no to bangs. Everytime I have gotten bangs I have regretted it. Very high maintance for me. but my hair is wavy/curly and the bangs were a pain in the butt. I prefer the non bang looks on others as well. Not a big fan of bangs.

Interesting. My hair is a little wavy, and it gets wavier the shorter it gets, so this is something to take into consideration. Thanks!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first thought was a "why don''t you do a bob?", then my second thought was "or a wedge." I''m not actually sure what the difference is, but I *think* a wedge is more angled, with the front a tad longer than the back...just a tad.

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a style I''m saving for when I''m ready to cut my own long hair (after we move from the humid South!).

jessicaalbahair1.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the heidi montag pic that jcrow posted, and the Jessica Alba one from Molly (that''s sort of a shorter version of mine, so I''m partial I think!!). Here''s one of Penelope Cruz that I''ve always liked.

cruz_wideweb.jpg

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Molly & Musey- LOVE those pics. I'm printing them out to show my stylist!

Ebree- my hair is naturally wavy, so I have to steer away from shorter styles. I can't have it too long, as it's super-thick, but it requires length in order to "flatten" out a bit. You'd be surprised how much length you'll be able to keep as long as it's "shaped" with some layers. Although i like the look of Heidi Montag's cut, my hair can't pull it off.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awwwww ... you ARE adorable! And I had you pictured all wrong -- blond, curls -- need I go on!!! Anyhoo, though I am a STAUNCH believer in the no-post-wedding-haircut-evAH camp (as I ponder slashing my own mid-back length tangly mop about 9 mos. post-wedding
31.gif
) I vote

The "Alba" or a combo of the "Alba" & the "Nicole" ... I think you want to highlight your cheekbones with some fringe hitting around there, but plenty of sassy layers to play around with (after all that time blunt one length).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You''re gorgeous - the last picture is the length I think would suit you!

I have been growing my hair for the last 2 years - so I could have an elaborate updo. I lost my temper last week and had it cut just below my jawline at the hairdresser.
20.gif

Now I have to start again and my hair grows sooooo slowly
15.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 3:31:51 PM
Author: EBree
For the women of PS with bangs- are they high-maintenance? What are the easiest kind of bangs to have?
I LOVE MY BANGS!!!! I can''t look at myself without them. Believe me, I''ve tried. They HUGELY change the shape/appearance of a face, and mine just looks, oh, approximately 3856 times better with them.

Phew. Anyway.

I have an awful cowlick on my forehead and I have to use a straightening iron on it every day no matter what, so as long as I have to do that anyway... might as well have bangs since they do make me look better. I don''t mind the extra maintenance... I usually air-dry the rest of my hair, and if I don''t have time (~5 minutes) to blow-dry my bangs I just pin them back. I have wavy hair.

I think if you can go without bangs, definitely go for it if you want to avoid maintenance. I can''t live without mine, though!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so, so much! I LOVE the pictures. They''re fabulous.

I think I''ll take them all to the salon and see what combination the hairdresser thinks would work the best. And I might try bangs...we''ll see how I''m feeling in 2 months. I always part my hair to the right (on the left...would that be to the right?) to sort of ''mimic'' side-swept bangs, but I can still put all of it into a ponytail, so we''ll see.
9.gif

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 1:59:53 PM
Author: Skippy123

Okay, I grew my hair super long for the wedding so I could do an updo. I also made sure it was Long enough to donate to Locks of Love (kids w/cancer w.a need for hair to make wigs). I think it needs to be 10 inches. I think a bob would be super cute on you since you have such a pretty face!
I agree with Skippy...I had a girlfriend and her 3 daughters all go and have 12 inches each taken off their hair, and donated it to Locks of Love in honor of myself when I had my cancer surgery - between them, they had enough to make one wig for a child - they were so excited, and I was so honored to be named...I think this is a wonderful cause for anyone willing to do so. One of my other friends, when she had heard that they had done this, she too went to the same salon and did the same thing! When I went to salon I thanked the hairdresser for doing this, for she gives free haircuts to those who are donating their hair to this...and she told me she was honored to do it and so glad that everything had worked out so well for me. I guess this program means more when so many friends are involved, but having faced the fear of having to have treatment, I can understand a little bit of how much a child appreciates the wigs. Dear me - now I am sounding like I am trying to strum up business for them - but I just want people to know what a great program this is!
And Ebree - you are adorable - and all the best on your new haircut :}

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
OK- I didn''t do the post-wedding hair chop, because I didn''t want to be that girl. Now more than a yr after the wedding I am expecting and now I CAN''T cut my hair because I am afraid if I get a cute short cut my face will explode into a moon pie!

That aside- I would say don''t do anything drastic in the first go-round. Get something like Jessica Alba''s length and then if you want shorter in a month or 2 you can go back and get more cut off- it''s always easier to have more cut off at another appt. than it is to go through the annoying growing out phase- especially if you do a cut w/ layers, above the shoulder, it can be awkward for a bit.

good luck!

matildawong

Shiny_Rock
I think some version of the Katie Holmes ''do would look cute on you. I also agree with the bob or wedge idea. I like the wedge because you can get funkier with it in the back.

I have bangs and I like them. They don''t require anything at all in the way of maintenance, unlike the rest of my hair! (I have straight bangs that sit just above the eyebrows.)

I bet you''d look cute with them - but you are cute without too!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
OMG your head it ENORMOUS...
20.gif
lol, you are precious not big headed at all....I am loving Jenny Mcarthys new bob, it is slick.

Jenny Hair

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 8:32:01 PM
Author: wifey2b

Date: 8/6/2007 1:59:53 PM
Author: Skippy123

I agree with Skippy...I had a girlfriend and her 3 daughters all go and have 12 inches each taken off their hair, and donated it to Locks of Love in honor of myself when I had my cancer surgery - between them, they had enough to make one wig for a child - they were so excited, and I was so honored to be named...I think this is a wonderful cause for anyone willing to do so. One of my other friends, when she had heard that they had done this, she too went to the same salon and did the same thing! When I went to salon I thanked the hairdresser for doing this, for she gives free haircuts to those who are donating their hair to this...and she told me she was honored to do it and so glad that everything had worked out so well for me. I guess this program means more when so many friends are involved, but having faced the fear of having to have treatment, I can understand a little bit of how much a child appreciates the wigs. Dear me - now I am sounding like I am trying to strum up business for them - but I just want people to know what a great program this is!
And Ebree - you are adorable - and all the best on your new haircut :}

Wifey, I am glad your cancer is in remission and I agree that was an admirable way to honor you. I am sure you were really touched by that; it is wonderful to help when we can.
2.gif

I love the haircut Iwannaprettyone posted.
9.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
What are ''bangs''? Is it a fringe?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
fringe is more of longer layers in front like heidi''s hair. it''s not a staight cut. more angled.
bangs are usually shorter. above eyebrow or there about. and sometimes all the same length (but not always)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results