shape
carat
color
clarity

Politics in the Workplace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone else feel like your political views are, um, "frowned upon" at work? Maybe even by your boss?
32.gif

I do not EVER discuss the election or politics in general with anyone at work. As many of you are aware, I''m an Independent with liberal leanings, and I do plan to vote for Obama in the election. I work at a small law firm with five attorneys, all of whom are partners (in other words, they''re all my bosses). All five of them are conservative Republicans who plan to vote for McCain and make no secret of it.

I generally get along well with all five attorneys, but I think there would be "whispers" if they knew that I support Obama. I actually considered putting an Obama sign in my yard and/or on my car, but decided not to, partially because of the repurcussions that I might have to deal with at work.
7.gif

Anyone else in a similar situation?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Well..yes. My main workplace (school) I''m in a very small minority when it comes to politics and generally treated pretty badly for it. So I try to keep my mouth shut. So I''m in a similar, yet opposite situation except the people I keep my views from are classmates and Professors.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never discussed politics with my boss, but I know a lot of the partners here are voting republican.

The secretary next to me is a Republican who still is a Bush supporter, who is scared of what might happen if Obama/Biden are elected. She said Joe Biden frightens her. She actually said to me that we''ll look back on Bush fondly, just like people hated Lincoln, and we love to look back on him fondly, as well.

Needless to say, we have some discussions about politics. We try to keep it as light as possible, and don''t delve too deeply.

I haven''t seen anyone be judged (ok maybe a LITTLE judging going on...
2.gif
) or treated differently -we all pretty much say what we want to say.

Thats awful that you guys feel like you can''t say what you think!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I work in a (mid-western) law school where people talk very openly about politics. There is quite a good representation of Democrats, Republicans and Independents - most all of whom are very thoughtful upon forming their views, meaning they don''t blindly follow or defend one side or another. Republicans here speak openly about their doubts about McCain/Palin, just as Democrats criticize certain aspects about Obama/Biden and vice versa. Nearly everyone I''ve spoken to is quite critical of the Bush administration and a surprising amount of Republicans and Independents remain undecided for this election.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i know my husband''s work does. no bumper stickers allowed, for sure. however, he always jokes that if it''d be a mccain sticker, all would be peachy...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I HATE it when politics comes up in the workplace. Typically at least one of my Monday morning status meetings will start with discussion of a Tina Fey/Palin skit on SNL and then there will be some Palin bashing for a few minutes before the meeting resumes as normal. I always think it would be hilarious if out of the middle of nowhere I started bashing Obama...I picture crickets chirping and everybody having thought bubbles that come out of their heads that read "Hate NewEnglandLady? Check!"

I think that in general it just makes anybody who is not in the majority uncomfortable...we can claim that we won''t let it affect how we feel about a person, but we all know it does.

There was only one boss with whom I enjoyed discussing politics and he was a Nader supporter, so we couldn''t have been any more opposite, but I enjoyed the debates.

I think that because I am a libertarian, I find 99% of political discussions uncomfortable since I don''t agree with either party. I just avoid it at all costs.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think these recent threads have shown that politics are a TOUGH topic even among bright well meaning people. You never know someone''s politics, I have found myself VERY surprised on occasion!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Like the saying goes, at work, the 2 biggest topics to avoid are religion and politics. That being said, I do have a couple of close friends that have the same opinions and beliefs politically that I do, and we talk very freely about this with one another, but don''t venture political talk with anyone else or even when anyone else is within earshot, not because we don''t agree on things, but just out of respect and keeping the workplace fairly neutral and comfortable for everyone.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
When I start working next week, I will be lucky if I can get away with not revealing I am a lefty and non-religious. I will probably have to lie and claim to be part of the religious right or risk being blackballed.
7.gif

Since I plan to fast-track to a managerial position, I can't afford to be truthful. Infinitely depressing. Luckily I do not have voting privileges and am hoping people will leave it be when I tell them I wasn't eligible to vote and not ask what I would have voted if I could.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in a place where people do discuss politics in a fairly general sense. I like it that way. I think the UK is more political in general than the US. My opinions aren''t frowned upon, but I often get confronted by both coworkers and clients because I''m American and the election is fast approaching.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm still a SAHM right now (looking for a job
2.gif
) and would NEVER discuss politics in the work place. I made the mistake of asking a SAHM friend what her beliefs are and she is very republican and unfortunetly, since then, if we even SLIGHTLY bring up politics, a tension sets in between us. It's really sad. Her and I get along wonderfully, however, so as long as we stay off topic, we click. I'd hate to be in a work environment where tension sets in and disrupts a relationship with a collegue and I'd never take that chance.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
We talk about politics pretty often at work. My boss is super into politics and he has no problem with it. We don''t all agree on every issue, but almost everyone agrees that there''s no way they would ever vote for McCain/Palin.
2.gif

The one person who likely supports McCain/Palin is rarely in the office so we just avoid too much politics talk if that person is around.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I hear ya'' Irishgrrrl! Except it''s the opposite at my firm. The partners were big Edwards supporters and ever since he bowed out they have been supporting Obama, although less enthusiastically and more as a Dem default. The paralegal that works right near me loudly bashes McCain/Palin almost every day so I just keep my mouth shut and don''t bring it up or participate. IMO it''s pretty thoughtless to bash one side or another at work when you don''t know where people stand.
38.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2008 6:00:19 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
I hear ya'' Irishgrrrl! Except it''s the opposite at my firm. The partners were big Edwards supporters and ever since he bowed out they have been supporting Obama, although less enthusiastically and more as a Dem default. The paralegal that works right near me loudly bashes McCain/Palin almost every day so I just keep my mouth shut and don''t bring it up or participate. IMO it''s pretty thoughtless to bash one side or another at work when you don''t know where people stand.
38.gif
Indy, I agree. It makes people very uncomfortable, and I think it''s unprofessional. I wish every workplace was tolerant of everyone''s right to vote for whichever candidate they agree with the most, but unfortunately that''s just not the case in a lot of offices. In their defense, I don''t think the partners at my firm have any idea that I support Obama, so when they talk about how great McCain is and how horrible Obama is, I''m sure they have no idea that they''re being offensive. Honestly, I think they have the mindset that I''m just a little woman and I don''t even have a law degree, so what interest could I possibly have in politics?
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 8:50:49 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Date: 10/15/2008 6:00:19 PM

38.gif
Indy, I agree. It makes people very uncomfortable, and I think it''s unprofessional. I wish every workplace was tolerant of everyone''s right to vote for whichever candidate they agree with the most, but unfortunately that''s just not the case in a lot of offices. In their defense, I don''t think the partners at my firm have any idea that I support Obama, so when they talk about how great McCain is and how horrible Obama is, I''m sure they have no idea that they''re being offensive. Honestly, I think they have the mindset that I''m just a little woman and I don''t even have a law degree, so what interest could I possibly have in politics?
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

I don''t think they''re the only ones with that attitude (reference to what interest could you have in politics) even some people on PS seem to feel this way about education. It''s frustrating, isn''t it?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Haha. Funny thing about the bumper stickers thing.

I work for the government as a social worker, my husband does as well, as a teacher. I had a Ron Paul bumper sticker on my car and although it went for months without notice, once the director found out, she told me I had to remove it or not park in the parking lot at work.

I thought it was absurd because where I stand at work is in no way a reflection of how I do my job, and I don''t impede my beliefs on others (although I do live them, and because of that, they are reflected).

Anyway, such is the way that government works, I suppose.

That said, there is always some sort of political discussion going on at work, sometimes with contributions from my director.

I guess you can talk about it as long as you don''t put it on your car.

9.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
This might be a bit off topic, but AHHH bumper stickers a whole different animal! I''ve talked to several McCain supporters here in Obama territor whose stickers have been keyed off their cars! I met a man who SUPERGLUED his McCain sticker on so that it would stop getting ripped off. What about the election turns people into vandals?! (I''m sure the opposite scenarios are true in McCain territorys w/Obama stickers!)

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 9:28:57 PM
This might be a bit off topic, but AHHH bumper stickers a whole different animal! I''ve talked to several McCain supporters here in Obama territor whose stickers have been keyed off their cars! I met a man who SUPERGLUED his McCain sticker on so that it would stop getting ripped off. What about the election turns people into vandals?! (I''m sure the opposite scenarios are true in McCain territorys w/Obama stickers!)
Speaking of that, Indy, a friend of mine had a bumper sticker on her car and someone wrote in the dust on her car window that the candidate she was supporting was a *&(**&!!%$.

Not really the same degree as having to super glue a sticker to your car to keep it from being ripped off, but still just a sign of the emotions and weird behaviors politics can bring out in a person.

(Maybe it has something to do with road rage, too. I don''t like being stuck in traffic, and some people go nuts in gridlock; perhaps others get even more frustrated by seeing a candidates name in blue or red lettering. Who knows!!)

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
I recently worked a data entry temp job at a financial investment firm. Half the office was white and the other half was black. Literally. All women, except for one gay guy and our boss. All the blacks were voting for Obama. They made that fact well known. Most of the white Dems, wanted Hillary. Some others, very few, were for McCain. Only the truly brave would discuss politics. We were afraid that it would become a race war. I only talked in private with those that agreed with me.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
This disgusts me, when people deface your car or remove signs from your lawn or protest someone who is simply running for office. What are we evolving into? Not nice in my view. McCain and Obama are not criminals and each person should be allowed to support whom they wish.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 11:18:38 PM
Author: diamondfan
This disgusts me, when people deface your car or remove signs from your lawn or protest someone who is simply running for office. What are we evolving into? Not nice in my view. McCain and Obama are not criminals and each person should be allowed to support whom they wish.
totally agree, DF!

I have an Obama car magnet, but am wary to affix it to my car because I''m afraid of:

a) the minor chance that my car will be vandalized (Obama will likely take CA)
b) that it will be stolen

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work with a group of incredibly intelligent, highly educated, politically involved individuals. We constantly discuss touchy subjects, especially politics. While our discussions often become heated, they never become personal attacks, nor do they become insulting. I think you can certainly have lively discourse on a difficult subject if all individuals involved are willing to actually hear everyone's contributions.

I can't imagine having to stifle my own ideas at work. However, I'm a high school English teacher in a public school. My job is to discuss, challenge, and redefine ideas. I suppose it comes with the territory . . .

ETA: My colleagues have a wide variety of opinions about the candidates. Several are staunch libertarians and independents. There are many republicans, as well as a good amount of democrats. We have a colorful and varied spectrum of opinions. It's great.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I just reread this...please excuse the "territor" and "territorys"!!!!! I am
20.gif
myself! LOL that''s what I get when I try to do homework while PSing!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Indy, you know you were trying to type "terrorist". Don''t pretend.

lol

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 11:34:17 PM
Author: Haven
I work with a group of incredibly intelligent, highly educated, politically involved individuals. We constantly discuss touchy subjects, especially politics. While our discussions often become heated, they never become personal attacks, nor do they become insulting. I think you can certainly have lively discourse on a difficult subject if all individuals involved are willing to actually hear everyone''s contributions.

I can''t imagine having to stifle my own ideas at work. However, I''m a high school English teacher in a public school. My job is to discuss, challenge, and redefine ideas. I suppose it comes with the territory . . .
I hear ya'' Haven...I think a level of respect is given when people are face-to-face that is not present when communicating over the Internet. I would guess that if all of us here on ATW were actually debating the most heated issues posted around here in person that they wouldn''t become so personal and petty at times.

I definitely wouldn''t put a magnet on my car either, Chargergirl - I would be afraid of if getting stolen! I think in this election, and in every election where the stakes are elevated, people are having a difficult time separating a candidate from his/her supporters. They are seen as one entity with one set of views, both by those on the opposing side and perhaps by the people themselves...that''s probably why some people think it is okay to scrape an opposing candidate''s bumper sticker off a stranger''s car or steal signs from people''s property.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 11:43:44 PM
Author: luckystar112
Indy, you know you were trying to type ''terrorist''. Don''t pretend.

lol
HAHAHA! You caught me!
11.gif
Subliminal messages, you know?

I was reading the new posts on this thread and I came across my ATROCIOUS spelling and was so, so embarrassed! Too late to edit so I had to explain myself!
9.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to have playful and spirited political discussions in my office (I work for a state environmental agency). Conservatives were few and far between, but the most notable one could hold her own with no problem and probably welcomed the discussions. We''ve since had some significant staff turnover... even before the election got heated there was less political discussion, I think because people didn''t know each other as well and were afraid to discuss their political views or didn''t want to step on their co-worker''s toes. Now that the presidential campaign is so heated and in full swing there''s virtually no political discussion. I know a lot of people are following the elections very closely, but consider the topic either inappropriate or too incindiery for work.

BTW Fisher: we all got a memo about not displaying campaign materials at work, but it didn''t mention bumper stickers!
2.gif
Of course we don''t generally use our personal vehicles for work. Do your job involve using your car?

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! I can''t believe that guy superglued his sticker to his car. Now that''s what I call devotion.

Well I do have to admit that I am guilty of this...but with good reason I think. Someone had placed an Obama poster DIRECTLY in front of the sign for my neighborhood. I thought that was extremely poor placement (not to mention rude because people might actually be looking for the sign) besides the fact that I felt like it was then "speaking" for the whole neighborhood. It was just so frustrating so after two days of fuming over it, I pulled it out while walking my dog. And I must admit, it felt good.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 12:08:23 PM
Author: idreamofcushions

Wow! I can''t believe that guy superglued his sticker to his car. Now that''s what I call devotion.

Well I do have to admit that I am guilty of this...but with good reason I think. Someone had placed an Obama poster DIRECTLY in front of the sign for my neighborhood. I thought that was extremely poor placement (not to mention rude because people might actually be looking for the sign) besides the fact that I felt like it was then ''speaking'' for the whole neighborhood. It was just so frustrating so after two days of fuming over it, I pulled it out while walking my dog. And I must admit, it felt good.

Did you put it back into the ground, to the left or right of your neighborhood sign?

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 12:44:17 PM
Author: EBree
Date: 10/16/2008 12:08:23 PM

Author: idreamofcushions

Well I do have to admit that I am guilty of this...but with good reason I think. Someone had placed an Obama poster DIRECTLY in front of the sign for my neighborhood. I thought that was extremely poor placement (not to mention rude because people might actually be looking for the sign) besides the fact that I felt like it was then ''speaking'' for the whole neighborhood. It was just so frustrating so after two days of fuming over it, I pulled it out while walking my dog. And I must admit, it felt good.

Did you put it back into the ground, to the left or right of your neighborhood sign?

Well to the LEFT of course! lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results