shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with sapphire stone for e-ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
The first pala stone you put up has a nice color. The cut is better than the one you first showed from the natural sapphire company, but there might still be a small window. It looks like it would close easily in a setting.

The second one seems to have a poor quality photo and it is hard for me to make any judgements.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, the second photo is a bit small

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know the price, or if it''s heated, but you may want to ask Roger Dery about the huge sapphire on his page.

There''s also this 3.18ct sapphire from Wildfish that you might be interested in.

This is a 3.04ct sapphire that might catch your interest, though obviously more and better photos would be needed.

This 2.53ct sapphire might also strike your fancy.

This is what I was able to find using my bookmarks (about 30 sites) in an unheated sapphire, 2.5cts or larger in a cushion or oval with the color that you indicated you wanted. I didn''t search out any pads though, but if you''re interested let us know if you prefer a pinkier or an orangier one, or...

Good luck with your search!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Pala stone shows a very nice intense blue as stated. A customer’s pricing depends on the jeweller he/she have chosen. Pala sets a base price and the jeweller tacks on whatever profit margin he/she wishes. I’ve dealt with jewellers who charge a hefty upcharge and others who add on very little profits. The ATG stone is also pretty but there’s something about the cut that is throwing me off. I think a better picture is in order.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, you might also ask Finewater
http://www.finewatergems.com/contact-me.html

Awhile back, he had a 3 ct native cut blue sapphire that looked like a gorgeous color. He said he''d recut it if nobody bought it, but I didn''t know if anyone bought it. Still, it wouldn''t hurt to ask?

WH

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the suggestions! i haven''t been able to search for more sapphires recently, unfortunately, because i''ve been so busy at work. NSC did send me a follow up email to note that they have a new sapphire and it looks really pretty. any thoughts?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/Oval/stoneid=B3431

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Hey WH,

The stone you posted seems to have a pretty color and lovely cut. I''d just wait until an expert chimes in though about those darker sections in the two right corners. That would be my only concern.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/9/2009 2:54:45 PM
Author: WH
austen, actually that''s a great point. the whole point of the blue sapphire was that it was beautiful against the skin so a pad may not be as pretty when worn.

the only stone which we thought we might be interested in was this one (hope the link works). however the color seems to be a little too light than what would be ideal for us and the price (given that it''s 5 carats) might be more than our budget. unfortunately, everything else that we saw and liked was heat treated, which we''ve decided is not what we want...
That colour is AWESOME! Don''t forget once set, most gemstones darken slightly. Also, Sapphires tend to darken in certain lighting conditions so it''s imperative that if you''re considering this you should get it for a look. I suspect this one will come with a very hefty price tag (because of the colour and size). If this is within your budget I would stop looking and get this on approval. It''s truly gorgeous!

In terms of the pads in link 1 and link 2 - they are both very brown looking. Not something I personally like. Also, have you put a Pad against your skin? I''ve found that I''m actually Pad coloured and so the gemstone disappears and moulds into me!!!

WH

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/14/2009 12:56:58 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

austen, actually that''s a great point. the whole point of the blue sapphire was that it was beautiful against the skin so a pad may not be as pretty when worn.

the only stone which we thought we might be interested in was this one (hope the link works). however the color seems to be a little too light than what would be ideal for us and the price (given that it''s 5 carats) might be more than our budget. unfortunately, everything else that we saw and liked was heat treated, which we''ve decided is not what we want...

That colour is AWESOME! Don''t forget once set, most gemstones darken slightly. Also, Sapphires tend to darken in certain lighting conditions so it''s imperative that if you''re considering this you should get it for a look. I suspect this one will come with a very hefty price tag (because of the colour and size). If this is within your budget I would stop looking and get this on approval. It''s truly gorgeous!

In terms of the pads in link 1 and link 2 - they are both very brown looking. Not something I personally like. Also, have you put a Pad against your skin? I''ve found that I''m actually Pad coloured and so the gemstone disappears and moulds into me!!!

LD, I asked about that 5 carat stone and it''s definitely not within budget - 40K! i didn''t really try on pads because in the end i decided I wanted a blue after all

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2009 9:07:14 AM

Date: 11/14/2009 12:56:58 PM

LD, I asked about that 5 carat stone and it''s definitely not within budget - 40K! i didn''t really try on pads because in the end i decided I wanted a blue after all
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
I knew I had expensive taste! (You too Chrono
9.gif
)

WH

Rough_Rock
We bought this stone!!!

When we went to see the stone, there were no dark spots in person (although in all the photographs it seems like there are two darker patches for some reason?) and the color was really even but most of all we thought the cut was gorgeous and really made the stone lively and sparkly. Plus, NSC gave us a 15% discount (as they'll be having a thanksgiving sale soon with 15% off) which we thought made the pricing really attractive. The only thing is, I had always thought i wanted a deeper blue (more Kashmir blue-ish) instead of a lighter cornflower blue (i thought this was a true cornflower blue although i know that term is not precise), but the stone was so pretty that i chose it over another darker stone that a jeweler had sourced for me.

after reading some threads on PS, i know that sapphires are prone to "bleeding" and may also appear darker in the day - im hoping this cornflower blue color will be less prone to that than darker blues are?

anyway, here are some crappy photos taken with my blackberry. it was about 4pm in NYC, dark and overcast skies since it was raining all day, under office lighting (in the NSC's offices/showroom actually).

Experts, could you please chime in on our purchase? did we make the right decision? i'm almost scared to know the answer!

ps: does anyone have a good educational resource on the type of prongs, settings, mounting etc?

IMG00026.jpg

WH

Rough_Rock
another crappy blackberry photo... i don''t know how to include more than 1 photos in the same post!

IMG00027.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ve done well! That sapphire is a colour to die for. It''s EXACTLY what I look for in a Sapphire.

In terms of settings? I''d be tempted to put that as a trilogy because it needs to take the central stage and not be overpowered by ornate fussy stuff! I''d combine it with white diamond trilliant or trapezoid or oval sides and mount it in platinum.

WH

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/15/2009 9:47:15 AM
You''ve done well! That sapphire is a colour to die for. It''s EXACTLY what I look for in a Sapphire.

In terms of settings? I''d be tempted to put that as a trilogy because it needs to take the central stage and not be overpowered by ornate fussy stuff! I''d combine it with white diamond trilliant or trapezoid or oval sides and mount it in platinum.

thanks LD! We''ve decided on this setting which is very similar to your suggestion. however, we want to make modifications to the way it''s mounted. i think it''s right now mounted in a semi-mount (not sure of all the terms im using so forgive me if i''m not making sense) which looks similar to this which I really dislike (the sides look too complicated for my tastes).

I''m trying to figure out a way to somehow make the e-ring sit flush with my future wedding band. i found a few examples (here and here) which i think will sit flush with a wedding band. im not so sure how the micro-pave on the sides would work with a sapphire center though..i think the micropave would look great with a diamond center but i''m not so sure about a sapphire (i specifically didn''t want a halo around the sapphire also)..

i thought this setting was pretty too, but don''t think it will sit flush.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
WH,

Your stone looks beautiful. Congratulations!

Quick question in regards to what you mean by the e-ring and wedding band sitting flush together. Are you saying that you want a normal band to sit right up next to your ring like this? Or are you willing to consider a curved wedding band that goes around the stone area so that it sits flush with your e-ring, but your wedding band itself is not perfectly parallel like this?

I think part of it depends on how high your stones are as to whether or not a band can sit flush with it (assuming that you want the look of the 1st set). If they''re set rather low then I think you either need a curved/notched band to have them be flush, or that there would be a gap. But so long as there''s enough room underneath your stones to slide a band in under it, then it will be flush. I would, however, try on the ring(s) together to see how they fit, or ask the jeweler whether or not they''d sit flush if you can''t try them on.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
oooooh, aaaaaaah. I really love the cut and color ono the gem you purchased! It''s lovely.

as for settings, maybe something like this?
31.gif

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=264

WH

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I really hope the e-ring will turn out beautiful

Austen, your first link is exactly what i meant when i said "flush". I don''t want a curved wedding band so i guess i would need for the diamonds/sapphire in my e-ring to be set high enough so that the wedding band would be able to sit comfortably. this is the setting we decided on but not sure if it would be possible at all to mount the stones high enough.. i guess it would look something like this from the side?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous sapphire, that blue is a stunning, luscious color!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
WH,

If the setting you chose sits as high as the 2nd link you posted, then I think you will probably be ok. But again, I''d double-check with a jeweler. Also, it might depend on what kind of a wedding band you''re having. The thickness of it might have something to do with it, or if you go for a metal-only band or one with diamonds in it. This is me just theorizing though, I don''t really know, so I would definitely talk with someone who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results