shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with purchasing first asscher?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey all,

I have been lusting after all the wonderful asscher gems you all show here for ages.
Up until recently my gem budget has been nil, but I can start looking for something new now, and would love an asscher as I don''t own any step cuts - and just because they''re awesome
5.gif

I''m pretty sure I''d like something in blue, green or a blue-green combo - but apart from that am open to suggestions on cutter, what type of gem etc.
I can''t afford sapphire level - I''m thinking likely a tourmaline, or maybe an aqua.
I *really* liked RedFaery''s recent blue-green tourmaline purchase (pic attached), as an example.

Would love suggestions/help, if anyone knows who''s got suitable rough atm - and who/what meterial you would choose for an asscher cut - thanks in advance!

tourm asscher RFT..jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
no takers..?
7.gif

here is the pic that didn't work before.
ETA: ah...nope, sorry it doesn't like me today, not sure why.
I'm sure most of you know what Faery's lovely asscher looks like though!
5.gif

asscherbg..jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yes, tourmaline and aqua are good options if you love both, blue and green and can''t decide between the two. I''d also suggest that aqua is unheated, as it''ll keep some of that greenish tinge that way. But asscher being one of the deeper cuts, maybe isn''t the best option for a typical blue-green tourmaline, as they tend to be quite dark (unless you can find some lighter material). Also check out vanadium chrysoberyl as they can be very beautiful and sparkly, more than suitable for step cuts and not too expensive. Mint garnets might also be a great option, if you don''t mind a stone that''s more green than blue.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 3:22:44 AM
Author: ma re
Yes, tourmaline and aqua are good options if you love both, blue and green and can''t decide between the two. I''d also suggest that aqua is unheated, as it''ll keep some of that greenish tinge that way. But asscher being one of the deeper cuts, maybe isn''t the best option for a typical blue-green tourmaline, as they tend to be quite dark (unless you can find some lighter material). Also check out vanadium chrysoberyl as they can be very beautiful and sparkly, more than suitable for step cuts and not too expensive. Mint garnets might also be a great option, if you don''t mind a stone that''s more green than blue.

Thankyou ma re for your info, I appreciate it. Yes, I hear you on the deeper colour of the tourmaline, I will keep that in mind.
I have not thought of vanadium chrys, and don''t know much about them - do they tend to be treated at all?
I agree a mint garnet may be nice, but perhaps out of price range in my desired size..

cheers again for your thoughts!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Vanadium chrysoberyl usually doesen''t undergo any significant degree of treatment, as far as I know. I believe AJSgems has some nice ones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would leave up to the cutter to pick the rough. There are light coloured tourmalines but it might take a while for a cutter to find the right material. Aquamarine is also a good alternative as you mentioned. It is rare to get spinel rough that will lend itself to an asscher shape though.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 6:13:13 AM
Vanadium chrysoberyl usually doesen't undergo any significant degree of treatment, as far as I know. I believe AJSgems has some nice ones.

Getting chrysoberyl rough in the correct shape is pretty tough too I understand. After 6 months of searching for chrysoberyl rough that was good for cutting into an asscher shape, Peter Torraca gave up and had a larger chrysoberyl recut for me. The AJS stones are nice but they're also pretty small and if recut into an asscher shape they'd be tiny.

ETA: AJ, you have an extra . in the file name which (I think) is why it's not showing up.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJ, have you seen enough Asscher coloured stones to know which cuitter you''re leaning toward? I really think they all have their own styles.

I haven''t seen a JW (more classic RA style) or a BB in person (but I''m getting in line
31.gif
), but I think my Gary Braun Asschers edge out my Peter Torracas by just a hair. I want a Gene Asscher too!

As for colours, aqua could hit what you need, and tourmaline may take you quite some time to find the appropriate rough. I have a green tourmaline with blue on the B axis, but the C axis is closed so it''s quite dark, and the deep cut didn''t help anything. I love it, though, because of the cut and how it behaves in the sun.

I can''t wait to see what you decide on!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 7:45:53 AM
Author: Chrono
I would leave up to the cutter to pick the rough. There are light coloured tourmalines but it might take a while for a cutter to find the right material. Aquamarine is also a good alternative as you mentioned. It is rare to get spinel rough that will lend itself to an asscher shape though.

Thanks Chrono!
Oh yes, I would definately leave it up to the cutter on which rough, I was
just asking more what actual types of gems may suit my purpose..
Cheers for your info
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 7:59:36 AM
Author: Kismet

Vanadium chrysoberyl usually doesen''t undergo any significant degree of treatment, as far as I know. I believe AJSgems has some nice ones.

Getting chrysoberyl rough in the correct shape is pretty tough too I understand. After 6 months of searching for chrysoberyl rough that was good for cutting into an asscher shape, Peter Torraca gave up and had a larger chrysoberyl recut for me. The AJS stones are nice but they''re also pretty small and if recut into an asscher shape they''d be tiny.

ETA: AJ, you have an extra . in the file name which (I think) is why it''s not showing up.

Thankyou ma re and kismet for the info on vanadium chrys..
Kismet, yeah I don''t think I have 6mo of patience in me, lol..Do you have photos
of the above mentioned asscher anywhere? I''d love to see.
Cheers also on the file clue, I think you''re right..

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 8:27:23 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
AJ, have you seen enough Asscher coloured stones to know which cuitter you''re leaning toward? I really think they all have their own styles.

I haven''t seen a JW (more classic RA style) or a BB in person (but I''m getting in line
31.gif
), but I think my Gary Braun Asschers edge out my Peter Torracas by just a hair. I want a Gene Asscher too!

As for colours, aqua could hit what you need, and tourmaline may take you quite some time to find the appropriate rough. I have a green tourmaline with blue on the B axis, but the C axis is closed so it''s quite dark, and the deep cut didn''t help anything. I love it, though, because of the cut and how it behaves in the sun.

I can''t wait to see what you decide on!

Heya Lauren,
thanks for lending your advice!
I have looked through as many threads on here as I could find, but I can''t claim to have seen any in person.
I *think* I can tell the difference between the RA''s and the generic cut ones, but sometimes it''s difficult in non-vendor pics.

Am I correct that Gene and Jeff W cut RA style ones, and the others do more generic styles?
I must admit, from the photos I''ve seen I do prefer the look of the symmetry/windmills on Gene''s and JW''s - but perhaps that just because I haven''t seen vendor photos for the other cutters...Do you by chance have a photo from Gary of your tourm asscher you could share?

Barry doesn''t seem to have what I''m after; Gary is very quick to reply but doesn''t have any rough atm; and I''ve emailed Gene about his blue-green tourmaline but not heard back as yet..
To answer your question, I would likely be happy with something from any of the above (I think!).

trying once more for a pic of Red Faery''s one from Gene..

NigerianParaibaAsscherRFT.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
yay, it worked (cheers kismet!)..and another fave pic, a sapphire from JW..

JW sapph asscheraj.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If anyone has head-on pics from other cutters, I''d love if you can add it to the line up to compare (doesn''t matter which colour).
5.gif

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Don''t forget Roger Dery at http://www.spectralgems.net/ He recently cut an astounding Asscher for me. Take a look at his website, but don''t hesitate to contact him either he has many more gems than what is listed on his site.

You might also try Lisa Elser at http://www.custom-cutgems.com/

Regards,

Jeff
21.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2009 3:33:58 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 8/28/2009 7:59:36 AM

Author: Kismet

Getting chrysoberyl rough in the correct shape is pretty tough too I understand. After 6 months of searching for chrysoberyl rough that was good for cutting into an asscher shape, Peter Torraca gave up and had a larger chrysoberyl recut for me. The AJS stones are nice but they''re also pretty small and if recut into an asscher shape they''d be tiny.

ETA: AJ, you have an extra . in the file name which (I think) is why it''s not showing up.

Thankyou ma re and kismet for the info on vanadium chrys..

Kismet, yeah I don''t think I have 6mo of patience in me, lol..Do you have photos

of the above mentioned asscher anywhere? I''d love to see.

Cheers also on the file clue, I think you''re right..

You can find pictures mid way down page 2 of this thread

Here''s Peter''s picture:
RD_chryso_1.97_sm.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Hey there, AJ!

Welcome to the asscher club!! This has to be my favorite cut.

I must be pretty lucky to have a chrysoberyl cut in a RA style. It was done by Gene and this is his photo:

newxx.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This is a zircon cut again by Gene. I find his asschers are easier to work with and not as deep. Beautifully cut and sparkles like crazy. I would love to have a blue zircon! (((((GENE ARE YOU READING THIS???)))))

xzircongene4.16ct7.85mm.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Aqua cut by Gary. He does a beautiful asscher. I''m not sure what it is about his work but it looks like a flower, don''t know if he adds extra steps to it or what. His asschers tends to be cut deep.

xasscheraquamarinegary.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This is Peter''s work. Another fine asscher cut. My one and only dark colored one. It''s really beautiful in bright colors but tends to be dark when not exposed to light. I will be steering away from dark colored asscher cuts from now on because of this.

xpetertorracabolamethyst3.43ct8.85x8.85x.50.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my 6.51ct citrine asscher from Peter Toracca

citrine asscher for gailey.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2009 9:19:23 AM
Author: Jeffrey Hunt
Hi,

Don''t forget Roger Dery at http://www.spectralgems.net/ He recently cut an astounding Asscher for me. Take a look at his website, but don''t hesitate to contact him either he has many more gems than what is listed on his site.

You might also try Lisa Elser at http://www.custom-cutgems.com/

Regards,

Jeff
21.gif
Jeff

Looking forward to your September photos! I think the shot of Roger''s morganite asscher is the nicest gem photo I have ever seen.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi AJ!
35.gif

What fun, searching for an asscher!

Here is one of mine. This one is by Jeff White. My lovely peridot.

Lori

JEFFWPERIDOT.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This one is by Gene.

Lori

GENETOURM.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This is my very first asscher gemstone. It is by Jeff White and is a spinel.

Lori

JEFFWHITESPINEL.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Here is my aqua asscher by Peter.

Lori

PETERAQUAASSCHERANDROUGH.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
One more of the Peter aqua.

Lori

PETERTAQUAASSCHER.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This is my peridot cut by Peter.

Lori

PETERPERIDOT.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
One more of the Peter peridot.

Lori

PETERASSCHERPERIDOT.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This is my red zircon cut by Gene.

Lori

GENEREDZIRCONRA.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
All I can say is that I can''t wait to get my asscher from Gary! Everyone''s asschers are just STUNNING!!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results