shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my re-set!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Irina. I see what you mean now, and although that is beautiful, I just dont think its the right design for *me*.
8.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 2:23:10 PM
Author: Dani
Thanks FG!! I figured you would still vote for the Ritani!!!!
2.gif
Hehe, I totally have a ''type.''
9.gif

Irina, that split shank look with the Ritani bands is gorgeous!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I love it...what if you take the split shank from above and get one really thin band to fill the gap under the basket...then it would look filled...maybe that could be made pave or diamond cut metal or something...that might look cool...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 2:52:40 PM
Thanks, Irina. I see what you mean now, and although that is beautiful, I just dont think its the right design for *me*.
8.gif
What if the bands were closer together? Then it would look more like a wedding set.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess you just have to weight out how long it really will be until you can upgrade your stone. If you know what your dream setting is, why not use the $ you would use to reset now and buy the eternity band you want. although it won''t fit flush with your e-ring you can wear it on your Right hand or left hand moving e-ring to right hand until you can get your new stone and the leon setting. if however you think it will be several years until you can upgrade your stone and really do want to reset, then I vote for the Ritani, it''s just a classic beautiful set and I think it could keep you happy until the time for the bigger stone.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Alexis and KCoursolle!

Hi Mrsalvo!! Can you believe I am still obsessing about this? (Well, I guess if anyone can understand, its you, lol
2.gif
). I thought about getting an eternity band too now, and just wearing my e-ring on my right hand, but I am worried that whatever I pick now band- wise may not go with my new setting in the future (either look-wise or proportion-wise), you know what I mean? Also, an upgrade wont be for at least a few yrs.....

Ahhh....decisions, decisions!!!!
6.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually think that of all the settings you''ve posted the baguette setting is the least likely to induce DSS... it''s got sidestones, which you don''t have now to help with the bling, it''s close to your dream ring, and it''s classic.

I think that DSS is more likely with a solitare. And though I love the choices... I still think that a Leon three stone with baguettes and a little pave on the basket with double prongs is the way to go. As for a completely new setting-- either way it would be a completely new setting if you uprgade significantly. And this way, in case you don''t, you have the look you want already.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 5:01:24 PM
Author: Gypsy
I actually think that of all the settings you''ve posted the baguette setting is the least likely to induce DSS... it''s got sidestones, which you don''t have now to help with the bling, it''s close to your dream ring, and it''s classic.

I think that DSS is more likely with a solitare. And though I love the choices... I still think that a Leon three stone with baguettes and a little pave on the basket with double prongs is the way to go. As for a completely new setting-- either way it would be a completely new setting if you uprgade significantly. And this way, in case you don''t, you have the look you want already.
Hi Gypsy!

I agree with you, but I am afraid that if I put baguettes next to my stone now, it may make my center look smaller than if I just keep it as a solitaire for now. If I upgrade, though, I will probably go to about 2.2-2.3ct range. Do you know what would be done with the setting then, if I do get a larger stone? Whole new one, or do they just modify the head? But, then I worry about the proportions of the baguettes- I may need larger ones if the center is larger, just so the ring doesnt look out of proportion. Am I making sense? Or do I sound like a blubbering idiot???
20.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 4:43:10 PM

Hi Mrsalvo!! Can you believe I am still obsessing about this? (Well, I guess if anyone can understand, its you, lol
2.gif
). I thought about getting an eternity band too now, and just wearing my e-ring on my right hand, but I am worried that whatever I pick now band- wise may not go with my new setting in the future (either look-wise or proportion-wise), you know what I mean? Also, an upgrade wont be for at least a few yrs.....

ha, we'll that's the truth. I do see what you mean about the size of the wedding band. I'm guessing even if you'd do the sidestone setting, you'd probably need a new setting with your upgraded stone. Honestly, if it's going to be a few years, I'd get what you want now, what is going to make you happy now and worry about a few years in a few years. So, many things can come into play that change priorities and it would be a shame for you to spend $ on a reset and still wish you had something different, does that make sense. I see nothing wrong with resetting your stone into your dream setting and then when you upgrade, upgrade to the same setting only larger. kaleigh did that with her Tiffany setting. that way, maybe you'd be content now knowing your wearing your dream setting and just waiting until you can make the whole thing larger?? I don't dani, I of course wrestle with many of the issues myself so probably can't be of much help.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I know, Mrssalvo, this is so hard!! I totally understand now what you are going through! I know life changes, and who knows, I may not be able to get my upgrade, and honestly (I know this is bad to say) but I dont think the classic ec with bags looks as good with a stone my size (gosh, I know I am bad). I just prefer it with a larger stone.

So, since I am going to have my current stone for awhile, I want to put it in the best setting I can. How about this one by Leon, it makes my heart skip a beat... check this out...
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=79. Very similar to my current setting, but he can raise the head and include a pave band....athough I would want it very thin- would there be any durability issues? Also, I liked this one too... http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=69. Then he can make the matching w-band.

Should I go with Leon over the Ritani? Whatcha think???
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand what your saying about the bag. not working with your stone. So, keep that as your dream ring for a big anniversary someday..

I like the first Leon you posted a lot. I think you might get the best of both worlds, keeping the kind of basket you love and getti g the pave band, leaving room for a wedding band. I think it would be a very lovely set!!! and who couldn''t LOVE a leon
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of the 3 under consideration my rank would be:

1. First Leon. Only slightly edges out...
2. Ritani ....only 2nd because I love the basket on the Leon
3. Second Leon. Pave bands are more subtle sparkle. I saw one IRL and wasn't overwhelmingly impressed. The other shanks give more oomph.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 5:54:17 PM
Author: FireGoddess

3. Second Leon. Pave bands are more subtle sparkle. I saw one IRL and wasn't overwhelmingly impressed. The other shanks give more oomph.
What are the differences between the 1st Leon one and the second one pave-wise? Looks different...

Would you spend the $$$ on a Leon setting right now even if it most likely weren't your *final* setting? Dont know the $$ difference between a Leon and the Ritani...the Ritani isnt cheap though. Also durabilty wise would I have to worry about the Leon vs. the Ritani? I vaguely remember durability issues with some of Leon's settings....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think of the first Leon as a single line of larger diamonds in the shank. The second Leon is a honeycomb of smaller diamonds fit together to allow no space between them in any direction. Overall it can be blingy but depending on the size of the pave it can also be a less sparkly look IMO (on a teeny band, for instance). Also, I worry more about the ''honeycomb'' pave being more apt to lose a stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is my fav emerald set... I had to hunt to find it too LOL I love the three together.... I love that it isn''t all totally blinged out, too much bling and you don''t notice much more than a blur IME. Maybe they could raise your head to just lift it above the band? I don''t know how stable that would be.... if you were at all interested in soldering them, you could do something like this so easy and have it all IMO.
DSCF094c.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sara!

Yes, that set is very pretty. I am sure my jeweler (Mark T.) can raise the basket for me...he had mentioned that when I spoke to him about this issue a few months ago...I should really speak to him again in the near future and get his input on what can be done.... I'm sure he will have some valuable advice....
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

3. Second Leon. Pave bands are more subtle sparkle. I saw one IRL and wasn''t overwhelmingly impressed. The other shanks give more oomph.
That''s what I think too. I love all of your options, but I REALLY love the first Leon you showed. I also LOVE Ritani but I think I''d have to move it to second place.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 7:00:55 PM
Author: zoebartlett

3. Second Leon. Pave bands are more subtle sparkle. I saw one IRL and wasn''t overwhelmingly impressed. The other shanks give more oomph.
That''s what I think too. I love all of your options, but I REALLY love the first Leon you showed. I also LOVE Ritani but I think I''d have to move it to second place.
I know, I just really love that basket on the 1st Leon...looks different from the Ritani, which has less space underneath and has less emphasis on the basket. But, I am such a sucker for profiles...
2.gif

My fi says he really doesnt see a difference between the Ritani''s profile and the 1st Leon I posted''s profile. I tried to explain, but really dont know how...I guess the Leon is more of a cathedral type? Regardless, I really like it....Maybe I will have Mark T. create something similar for me, just depends on $$$.

Thanks all for your input!!!
1.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Here is a side view of the Ritani, although you have to imagine it with an ec....

ritprofile.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
As impatient as I am...and I know I would want the reset *now*... It might be better to reset when you upgrade your center stone. If you are considering leon and other fairly expensive settings, I''d wait until I have the new stone because you probably can''t shove a larger diamond into one of these.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 9:46:15 PM
Author: kcoursolle
As impatient as I am...and I know I would want the reset *now*... It might be better to reset when you upgrade your center stone. If you are considering leon and other fairly expensive settings, I''d wait until I have the new stone because you probably can''t shove a larger diamond into one of these.
I hear ya, K. Problem is I dont know when the upgrade will come....possible it may never come, life happens, ya know?

If I dont reset and just wear my e-ring on my right hand, I think that might really inevitably bother me, and I would hate to spend the $$$ on a big eternity band that I may not even be able to wear with my new (larger!) e-ring down the road......
8.gif

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Hum...decision decision.......

I actually love the idea of re-making the basket higher, & have diamonds on the band. It makes the whole setting more elegant, plus it well compliments the existing diamonds on your basket.
Then wear it with a Ritani endless love band complete the set!
30.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:04:31 PM
Author: doobao
Hum...decision decision.......

I actually love the idea of re-making the basket higher, & have diamonds on the band. It makes the whole setting more elegant, plus it well compliments the existing diamonds on your basket.
Then wear it with a Ritani endless love band complete the set!
30.gif

Thanks, Doobao....I am defnitely going to look into this!!!
2.gif

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I just love your ring as it is, the emeral cut is so elegant, and yours is a nice size too. I love the simplicity of the band, and yet there are those little diamonds all around the sides of the basket, giving it something to make it stand apart from the generic settings. If I had a ring like that, I would not change it and I would not wear another ring with it and clutter up the elegant look. I''d probably wear an eternity ring on my right hand instead, and then you can stack other rings with it as anniversary or push presents. (I guess that''s what they call them, when I was married and having kids, I''d never heard of push presents).

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Hi dani!

I completely empathize with your situation and went through the exact same thing with my EC!

Obviously, I love the EC/bagette combo
9.gif
I really think that you should talk to a jeweler if you want answers about what will happen if you upgrade from a 1.7 to a 2.3 in the future. From what i understand, one head can accomodate a number of different size stones. so, if you were to explain your current situation and future possibility, perhaps you can select a setting with a head that won''t have to be completely reworked.

To me the bigger issue would be the proportion of the bagettes to the center stone. If you were going to go this route, i would opt for side bagettes that would be the best ratio for your 2.3 future stone. Because, then you''d get more bling for now and the right size for the future. i suppose you have to sit down and think realistically about if and when the upgrade is going to happen.

what kind of a band do you want if you opt for bagettes? sorry, you probably said it already...

also, i''d want to consider how changing to a setting (leon/ritani) now would affect how soon i could get an upgrade!

EC''s are a lot of trouble, but surely worth it
9.gif

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dani,

After reading your posts, it doesn''t sound like you are comfortable with buying anything NOW to potentially match your possible future upgrade, whether it''s the eternity band or the tapered baquette side stones. Therefore, I think you should wait on that stuff, since nothing could be more fun than a project to design a brand spanking new wedding set with a big new diamond. You can perfectly match the proportions and all the details at that time. I know that everytime I see a new custom wedding set where every detail is made to complement the center stone, I''m just amazed and pretty envious I might add.

I totally understand about the flush fit thing. I kind of like your plain ER shank next to the Ritani pave wedding band, but I think pave on your ER shank would also be great, but should definitely match, i.e. both ER and WB made by the same designer. Is there a way to angle/curve the prongs on your current ER so that the bottom of the basket (part that touches the finger) is much smaller and the gap would be much less between ER and WB? Imagine the first Leon, but without the cathedral portion. Have you considered not having a cathedral, since you don''t absolutely have to have a cathedral in order to have the flush fit. Isn''t the second Leon sans cathedral? I don''t think I''ve ever seen a three sided pave band that cathedrals, but I''m sure they exist. For the longest time, I wanted a setting like yours, i.e. no cathedral and basket made so that stone was set as low as possible. So forgive me if I''m partial to your current ER. But I do understand wanting less of a gap between ER and WB. Now I am just rambling. I also would like the Ritani better if if wasn''t solid metal under the cathedral and rather had those little cutout triangles if you will, but it may be a stability issue like you mentioned. I LOVE LM designs, but those have to cost way more than Ritani, right?

In a nutshell my 2 cents:
How about a really low cost option of slightly modifiying your current ER to have a smaller lower basket? Wait and get your big eternity band and dream setting with tapered baguettes when you get your center stone upgrade.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Rxtech and Lulu for all of your great advice! I am taking ALL of it into consideration!!!

Hi Bargaincrazy! Thanks so much for your input....I do agree with you 100%. Mark T. is also my jeweler (as I know he made your gorgeous ring), and I am sure he can do something to modify my current setting so that it is able to sit flush or close to flush with a w-band....he had mentioned something about that when I spoke to him about this issue months ago....I really just have to sit down with him and explore the options....
What would you do though if you were in my situation? Would you keep the ring as is and just wear it on your right hand? Then get a eternity band for the left? A girl can never have too many diamonds- I am thinking a gorgeous vertical baguette band if I do go this way! That is something I have always wanted and do want to get someday anyway.... Or, would you have Mark just modify the current setting and raise the basket? And would you keep the shank plain platinum like it is now, or switch to a thin, single row pave band? Sorry for all of the questions.....Thanks so much in advance- I reallly value your opinion!!!!!
2.gif
I just love your ring- you have awesome taste!!!
18.gif
1.gif

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2007 8:29:57 PM

Hi Bargaincrazy! Thanks so much for your input....I do agree with you 100%. Mark T. is also my jeweler (as I know he made your gorgeous ring), and I am sure he can do something to modify my current setting so that it is able to sit flush or close to flush with a w-band....he had mentioned something about that when I spoke to him about this issue months ago....I really just have to sit down with him and explore the options....

What would you do though if you were in my situation? Would you keep the ring as is and just wear it on your right hand? Then get a eternity band for the left? A girl can never have too many diamonds- I am thinking a gorgeous vertical baguette band if I do go this way! That is something I have always wanted and do want to get someday anyway.... Or, would you have Mark just modify the current setting and raise the basket? And would you keep the shank plain platinum like it is now, or switch to a thin, single row pave band? Sorry for all of the questions.....Thanks so much in advance- I reallly value your opinion!!!!!
2.gif
I just love your ring- you have awesome taste!!!
18.gif
1.gif

Oooh...a gorgeous vertical baguette band sounds amazing! Okay...this is strictly a "if it were me" suggestion. Please take it or leave it. I don''t consider myself a good advice giver or jewelry expert by any means. I just know that the more I see on PS, the more I feel my tastes are refined and narrowed down. That is the reason why I suggest waiting on doing anything related to your future possible upgrade wedding set. Also (as you know), I am an unsentimental slob, and when I was considering resetting my original ER stone, I could think of nothing else but my next upgrade. Shame on me!!

I agree that having a gorgeous vertical baguette band would be wonderful no matter what you do, and would look great with your current ER if modified. I just recently started to really feel the plain ER bands with blingy WB combos.

So I would keep your plain ER shank. I would modify the head/basket of your current ER in order to wear with a WB if you want to with less of a gap, but not no gap necessarily. This is assuming that it won''t cost too too much and that your jeweler is confident that it will turn out to your liking. I have faith in Mark, but make sure he really knows what you expect as your end result. You are right about never knowing how a thin pave band on your ER shank will look with the EC. There are subtleties indeed that you can''t see until it''s all done. With the Ritani, you know what you are getting into, but I really like your current setting. I saw the Ritani in person and I thought it was reasonably priced actually and lovely, but I was slightly underwhelmed given all the "press" it''s gotten here. It''s very very nice, but it doesn''t seem to have that Mark Morrell or LM quality detail and WOW factor IMHO (really humble). I hope I''m not offending anyone here (including you if you go that route
1.gif
).

Whatever you do will be beautiful I''m sure. Good luck!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is sort of like what someone else mentioned, but you could have a notched band made and have it soldered to the ering so that it looks like a flush band. I would do like someone else said and save the Leon for the final stone. And when you get that, you can set a colored stone in this setting and remove the attached wedding band. You''ll probably want to get Leon to make you a new matching wedding band anyway if he makes you an e-ring (or get some kind of eternity ring). I also LOVE large emerald cut stones with side baguettes! That is one of the most elegant rings there is, IMO.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Bargaincrazy so much for your advice!! So, you WOULD reset into a slightly higher basket setting with a plain shank? Not a pave one? Like just take my basket off and reset it a bit higher? I am not looking for a TOTALLY flush fit, I dont mind a little gap at all. I think its either coming down to that, or just keep my ring as is, wear it on the right hand, and get a vertical baguette eternity for the left hand to wear alone...

Thank you Diamondseeker. I think your idea is great, but I really dont want to solder my rings together. I know, I know, I''m difficult!!!
2.gif
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results