shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my re-set!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi friends!!!
21.gif

Well, the time has come for me to make a final decision on what to do with my e-ring. The wedding is in 4 months and I have been OBSESSING to no end about what I want to do. For those of you who have been following this saga, thanks for helping out (yet again)!! For those that dont know, quick re-cap: Currently, I have a 1.75 ec set in a gorgeous solitaire setting (with a beautiful pave basket) and double claw prongs that I really love, but it is set so low to my finger that there is no way any sort of wedding band will sit flush. So, being that I would really love to wear both of my rings together on my left hand, I need to do something with this ring. I''ve looked at SOO many options- and now I am really just down to a couple....that''s why I am turning to my friends here to help me.

I also want to preface this by saying that I most likely will upgrade my center stone within the next 2-3 years, but I still want to re-set my current diamond just in case I never get a chance to upgrade and because I want to wear my rings together right away...So keep in mind when you review the choices how easy or hard it may be to modify the setting once again if I do upgrade my center....Although my dream ring is a bigger ec with tapered baguettes and a BIG fat eternity band to go with it....so who knows? But anway....
2.gif

So, the final choices ( and if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know)....

1. modify my current setting into a more cathedral-type setting (think Boston Jeff''s cushion solitaire), still keep my pave basket, which I love, and the shank plain platinum, but the band would be more flat than my current rounded band....My only problem with this is that I think I want a little more bling, like a pave band, but I am somewhat afraid to go custom with thin pave bands, ya know? Ugh!!!!

2. re-set the stone into the Ritani endless love setting (without halo). I looked at this setting very closely, and it is really gorgeous. The only problems are that I am not sure how the EC will look with the pave band and that uncertainty bothers me, and the other thing is that I love the side view of my current setting a lot better...I like the Ritani pave basket, but I am not thrilled with the side view of the thicker shank. I will post pics of what I am talking about....

3. Third option is to re-set my stone into a setting with tapered baguettes, which I believe is ultimately what I want. But, I am not sure what would happen if I upgrade my center stone in the future....Would I have to have the whole setting remade to accomodate the new stone? Would I have to get new side stones for proportions'' sake? And would I be unhappy with my current stone in that type of setting b/c I might be hit with DSS, since it would most likely make the center look smaller?
11.gif

I am not sure of the price difference between the three choices, but this certainly is a consideration....I really do love my stone, but I do think I wont be able to resist the urge to uprgrade within the next few yrs, so that is making me think too alot about what I want to do.

I will post some pics of my ring and some other photos for all of you to get a better idea of what I am thinking....Can you tell I am obsessing....UGH!!!! I hate this!!!!!! Brian is ready to kill me I think, and we aren''t even married yet!!!!!!
6.gif

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!
2.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Here is my e-ring as it is today...I love it but its sits flush with NOTHING.....

redofour.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Wow, sorry its so big. Here is another pic....

redotwo.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Another.....

redothree.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Here is my ring with the Ritani endless love w-band that I tried out at home. The setting is really pretty...

redoone.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Here is a setting like Boston Jeff''s that I like. I prefer the side view of this ring over the Ritani''s...I just like it better. But that is something I may be able to get over. And, can this even be done with an ec?

cartcath.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Here is Mara's friend's w-set. This is one of the options- I can re-set my center stone into this setting. I love this setting, but will it look ok with an ec? And will it look bling-y enough?

Ritelove.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
This is what I ultimately want ( I think)....although my tastes seem to be changing alot lately...But, I have always loved this design, truly. I just am a bit nervous to put my current stone into this setting now for the reasons I stated above. Ideally I would love to upgrade my stone in the next few yrs and have Leon make this setting for me. And then I would pair it with a big eternity band (dont know what kind, but it would involve lots of bling)!!!
11.gif
2.gif
Dont care if it doesnt sit perfectly flush, in fact. I dont mind a little space at all!!!!

Funny how our tastes change over time....I was always into the more delicate look, which I still love, but I am finding myself lately more into the blingier look (maybe b/c of my recent trip to Palm Beach, where everyone sports at least 5+ cts rocks, mmmmmm)??????
2.gif

Thanks everyone!! I can't wait to hear all of the input!!!!

tiffec.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Dani, did you think of keeping the head (because it''s beautiful) and soldering 2 thin (pave?) shanks for a split look? Parallel or angled.
If you have a hand shot i can mock up it for you if you''d like, then a wedding band will be no problem to fit.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Irina!

Thank so much. I did try on a split shank in a local B&M, and although they are gorgeous, I really wasnt thrillled with it on me. If I can dig up a hand shot, do you think you can ps a pave band (like the Ritani) for me? That would be great!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Handshot!

handshot!.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sure. Instead of a plain shank right?

About a split shank i was just trying to save your basket as is because it''s beautiful.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Dani- your ring is so gorgeous it is a cryin'' shame to reset it.

I know that I was totally against notched wedding bands in principle when I was e-ring shopping but now that I have started wearing a ring, any ring, I have reconsidered. Is there any way you would consider modifying your current ering to accommodate a notched wedding band? And get a Ritani-like pave notched wedding band so they will sit flush? That shot of your ering with the plain band and the thin pave wedder looks great.

I guess now that I have started wearing rings, I don''t think that there are that many situations in which I would leave off my ering and wear my wedding ring, especially if the wedding ring had any stones it in. And for those situations, an additional plain unnotched band might do the trick.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 12:17:13 PM
Author: Pricescope

About a split shank i was just trying to save your basket as is because it''s beautiful.

Yes, I just would love to see what it would like like with a pave band. I love my basket too, I guess I can take my basket and have it set onto a pave band, or no? I am just afraid to go custom with those really thin pave bands- I might have issues. At least with Ritani I havent heard of any real durability problems. Ugh, I hate this, its so hard!!!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 12:20:52 PM
Author: cara
Dani- your ring is so gorgeous it is a cryin'' shame to reset it.

I know that I was totally against notched wedding bands in principle when I was e-ring shopping but now that I have started wearing a ring, any ring, I have reconsidered. Is there any way you would consider modifying your current ering to accommodate a notched wedding band? And get a Ritani-like pave notched wedding band so they will sit flush? That shot of your ering with the plain band and the thin pave wedder looks great.

I guess now that I have started wearing rings, I don''t think that there are that many situations in which I would leave off my ering and wear my wedding ring, especially if the wedding ring had any stones it in. And for those situations, an additional plain unnotched band might do the trick.
Hi Cara.

Thank you. In theory a notched w-band would solve my problems, but I am just not into that look. Now your understand why I am driving myself and my fi nuts, right???
2.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Oh Dani, I love your ring. I have a rectangular radiant on a prong set head on a prongset band (wow, that's a lot of prongs) and people say it's not really very common, but I love the look. It's not what you're looking for, but it's kiiinda the same look. :)It's also smaller. Haha
31.gif

ETA: Eeeek, terrible shot.

ambers007ab.JPG

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Maybe this one is better?

ATA AGAIN: Sorry it's so huge!!! I have so many on here that I can't tell which ones are the right size.

I wanted to say that I LOVE your EC- it's fabulous. I'd go ritani EL if I were you.

amber010ab.JPG

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 12:26:36 PM
Author: Dani

Yes, I just would love to see what it would like like with a pave band. I love my basket too, I guess I can take my basket and have it set onto a pave band, or no? I am just afraid to go custom with those really thin pave bands- I might have issues. At least with Ritani I havent heard of any real durability problems. Ugh, I hate this, its so hard!!!!!
Sure you can, but it would not solve you wedding band fitting problem like 2-split-shanks will.
anyway, here is your pave shank
35.gif

DaniRirani8.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 12:39:40 PM

Date: 5/21/2007 12:26:36 PM

About a split shank i was just trying to save your basket as is because it's beautiful.

Sure you can, but it would not solve you wedding band fitting problem like 2-split-shanks will.
anyway, here is your pave shank
35.gif
OMG, thank you so much!

If the basket is set higher, it still wont work? I dont mind a little space, it doesnt need to sit perfectly flush. But that pave band does look really pretty- maybe I should just go with the Ritani??!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:46:45 AM
This is what I ultimately want ( I think)....although my tastes seem to be changing alot lately...But, I have always loved this design, truly. I just am a bit nervous to put my current stone into this setting now for the reasons I stated above. Ideally I would love to upgrade my stone in the next few yrs and have Leon make this setting for me. And then I would pair it with a big eternity band (dont know what kind, but it would involve lots of bling)!!!
11.gif
2.gif
Dont care if it doesnt sit perfectly flush, in fact. I dont mind a little space at all!!!!

Funny how our tastes change over time....I was always into the more delicate look, which I still love, but I am finding myself lately more into the blingier look (maybe b/c of my recent trip to Palm Beach, where everyone sports at least 5+ cts rocks, mmmmmm)??????
2.gif

Thanks everyone!! I can''t wait to hear all of the input!!!!
I''m curious - why is it okay to have an unflush set with *this* ring and not the ring you have?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 1:39:20 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 5/21/2007 11:46:45 AM
11.gif
2.gif

2.gif

Thanks everyone!! I can''t wait to hear all of the input!!!!
I''m curious - why is it okay to have an unflush set with *this* ring and not the ring you have?

I dont mind A LITTLE BIT of space.....With my current e-ring, the space is huge!!! It just doenst look right at all, I dont know....
8.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Here are 2 pics of my ring with the Ritani wedding band that I took back in September when I looked at this set...

Isnt the gap too big?

space.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Another...

space2.jpg

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I can think of a few options that keep your beautiful basket setting. I agree with you about the space by the way...

You can flip your basket to an east-west setting which would reduce the space. I can also picture (not sure if this makes sense) putting a 3/4 the way around spacer ring that hugs the basket and takes up space between the rings (my friend next to me just vetoed that lol)...

You could also reset your ring like this http://www.jamesallen.com/designer-jewelry/meno_collection_by_danhov.asp?module=setting&cid=294&item=1136 which would allow a band to sit flush (or you wouldn''t need one).... i think ovals/ EC/ any elongated cuts have this problem!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered putting the diamond E/W? That would help with the wedding band problem...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi JHK and MustangGal-

Thanks for your responses....I really dont want to set my stone E-W though.....
8.gif

Thanks, Amber, for your comments!!! Your ring is GAWG-EOUS!!!!
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
2. re-set the stone into the Ritani endless love setting (without halo). I looked at this setting very closely, and it is really gorgeous.

This gets my vote....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Dani. I love your set. But I understand the flush fit issue totally.

I really love the classic tiffany look with the baguettes best with EC''s. But I''d have Leon do it with claw prongs like yours and some pave on the basket like your existing setting (he can probably pull the diamonds off of there for it) just specify that you want to flush fit your band. Best of both worlds IMO.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks FG!! I figured you would still vote for the Ritani!!!!
2.gif

Gypsy- I too love the classic look of an ec with tapered baguettes. That is what I ultimately want. But I am worried that if I set my current stone into that setting now, it will give me DSS, and if I upgrade my center later on, what will happen? Would I have to have the whole ring basically remade to accomodate the larger stone? I dont know?!!!
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results