shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me understand the basics of an Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KatronKat

Rough_Rock

My BF and I are shopping for an Emerald Cut diamond and I am tired of sitting there feeling like an idiot because I know barely the basics about diamonds. What I have seen so far I know that I like the emerald to look like a perfect rectangle and for the color to be nothing less than an H for below that they do start to look yellow to me. With the SI1 I have seen I do feel once I have seen the inclusion under the scope I can definitely pick it out without it. It is hard for me to explain what I am looking for to the dealers because I feel I don''t know all the terminology or numbers. Plus we are shopping in the LA Jewelry district this weekend and I want to be able to help negotiate a good price because I know the BF is not one to haggle with the dealers when I have no problem asking for a better price if I don’t think we are getting a fair deal. We are looking for around a 1.25-carat. I have been researching on this site but I am still confused. What are the basic things I should ask to make sure we are getting a quality diamond and where would I find a price range I could reference. What things should I print out that I could bring with me to bring as a guide. I would ask the BF but I don’t want to under mind his own ability because I do trust him to pick out the right stone but like I said he won’t haggle he just walk away instead. I would just like to put my two cents in without just saying, “that one is pretty”

Thanks for any help
Kat
Ps what is a sarin report?

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Hi. There are several threads that I found particularly helpful when I was in the process of examining stones for my recent EC replacement project. I have no idea how to provide links to other threads but do a search for "What do you guys call the ultimate Emerald cut diamond" by Chrono -- that thread and the one she links to provide tons of useful info. Good luck!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Kat...may I recommend a jeweler in LA? Here''s their website. If you call them and make a appointment for their LA office ahead of time and let them know what you are looking for, they may be able to accommodate you. I bought my EC from them last year and they''ve been nothing but wonderful!!! They also have an OC office that you don''t need an appointment for, but because you''re going to LA, thought I''d drop you an option...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hey Kat-

Welcome to PS! I too, am an EC lover, and I remember feeling like this when we were picking my stone. Read the tutorials and the thread storm posted- read as much as you can, and find a jeweler who you trust that will point you in the right direction
. And remember too, that ideal numbers are nice, but if you find the stone that speaks to you/ appeals to your eye the most, you will be fine.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have yet to find any set of ''ideal numbers'' that are clearly related to the looks of emerald cut diamonds, in the way the ''ideal proportions'' for rounds are.

For example, many websites with large databases of diamond listings label diamonds ''good cut'' or ''premium'' or ''excellent'' etc, saying simply that one is better than the other and by some mysterious karma more brilliant. However, there is never an explanation of how the system works. About rounds, there''s an entire novel!

As an exception, the AGA ''DIY Grading'' tables put forth some numbers without the claim that those make a precise prediction about what these diamonds look like in person. The use of these in explained on www.gemappraisers.com and the fancy Shapes section under ''Knowledge'' on top of this page.

Sure enough, the looks of these stones can be described in terms of light return, fire and scintillation, or whatever matching set of concepts is used to analyze the optics and cut quality of round diamonds. Only no one has put forth comparable research about step cuts. I think that difficulties of measurement are much of the cause, but this is only a personal guess... and doesn''t change things anyway. With or without reason, there is still no generally accepted cut grading system to look for
38.gif

You may find a bit more about what to look for in person in the section about fancy shapes at www.ideal-scope.com Wish they would expand on that, but in the meantime the info is useful as is, IMO.

Hope some of this helps.

My 2c

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I''m a fellow EC lover, and the best advice I can give you is to go SEE the diamonds in person and find one that calls your name, or sings to you, or whatever catchy phrase you like.

When I went shopping for mine, I brought the sheet with the grading information on it that Valeria pointed you to, but even though my diamond didn''t clearly or easily classify into one of the grades listed, I fell in love with it - and I think that''s the most important piece of the puzzle - regardless of what the numbers say.

Happy shopping!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone. Your eyes are the best way to determine the perfect EC for you.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Step cuts are beautiful, aren''t they? Here''s my mantra: make sure they have a good upgrade policy because a girl can always change her mind (or at least always have the option). Will it be a solitaire setting, or with side stones? How exciting! I had an F, vs2 with baguettes and loved the interraction of the center and sides. I agree with previous links to look at. Color is an interesting phenomenon. I tried a G and it appeared "dark" to me-almost like a mystic topaz. Then I saw the F, which had a calming buttery thing going on, and that paired with how the corners shot off rainbows, won me over. It was subjective.

KatronKat

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the help. I am feeling a lot better about Saturday. I do trust my eyes but I feel bad too because I always seem to pick out the most exspensive things and not on purpose. I know he can afford but I don''t want him to feel like he has to. At least I will feel better knowing that we got a good deal. I definitely want something on the sides of the diamond. I am thinking taper baguettes or something on the band but I am still looking to see what is out there. Thanks again for all the help
Kat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results