shape
carat
color
clarity

please! help me find e-ring on budget (long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

matchless

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
Here is my situation: I met my girlfriend at a Bible study at our church almost a year ago. We became great friends almost immediately (I knew she was the one the first time we spoke), and we spent literally every day together for 6 months. At first, our "excuse" for getting together everyday was to practice for our mutual friend''s (from church) wedding in July 2005. We''re both musicians, and we played during the processional at the wedding (and that''s when we started dating).

Anyway, we''ve been planning to get married in December 2006 for several months. I haven''t proposed to her yet, for two reasons: one, I want to ask her dad in person (her folks live in CO; we''re in AZ), and two, I haven''t bought a ring yet (although I''ve started saving and have been researching diamonds/rings on pricesope for a couple months. I did get to meet her parents for a week in Oct, and they could tell that she and I are sure about eachother, so they apparently don''t mind planning the wedding before I actually propose (especially since it takes so long to plan). I''d been plannning to buy a ring in April, because I''ll have enough saved by then; plus, we''d planned on visiting her parents in early June, which is when I planned to ask her dad for permission. Then, I could ask her in June/July, and our plans for Dec. would already be in motion.

Well, last night my girlfriend''s mom called, and the date/location they''d planned for Dec fell through, and so she posed the question: why not this summer? Why wait until December? I actually never wanted to wait that long, but this throws a bit of a wrench in my plans . . . her parents are going to drive down here in two weeks so I can speak with her dad (who used to work in the pentagon, ahh!), and now I need to plan on purchasing a ring ASAP so we can really start planning the wedding! This also means I''ll have to get really creative when I propose because surprising her will be very tricky!

Ok, here''s my financial situation: I''m 23, she''s 24. I work full-time as a youth worship leader at our church (which doesn''t pay much), and go to school full-time (I should be getting hired by the Phoenix Fire Dept. in the next two years - it''s extremely competitive here in AZ). She''s a kindergarten teacher and is going to night school too for her master''s. Basically, I won''t make much money until I get hired onto a fire dept., and she doesn''t make a whole lot teaching. I really want to get her a ring she will love, but I don''t want to get more than I can afford and then bring that debt into our marriage (I''m currently debt-free).

The absolute most that I can afford for the diamond, setting, and band is $2000, but I would actually like to spend closer to $1500. I know that she likes round diamonds, and would like a fairly thin ring. I have searched this site many times, and have learned a lot, but I don''t want to make a decision without posing the quesion on the forum.

So: if you had $1500-2000 to spend online on a round diamond, and a thin white-gold setting and band . . . what would you do?

Thank you to everyone for reading my long post! I look forward to hearing what you all have to say. I''m very inexperienced, and what I do know about diamonds and jewelry I''ve learned from this forum. I appreciate any opinions, and will take all your suggestions very seriously.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
You have options with that budget. You can get a nice 1/2 carat stone with a beautiful, ideal cut round stone with a white gold e-ring and matching engagement ring.

Go to www.whiteflash.com and do a search.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not writing to give you advice about your diamond, since there are many experienced experts around here to help with that... I just wanted to say that she will love whatever you give her, because YOU are a fabulous gem!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I found something within your budget!

Whiteflash .70 Expert Selection Stone

You can get a simple four prong, white gold setting from Whiteflash for $100. This is a good size and quality for your budget.

Ask for the pricescope discount on the diamond. If you pay with a bank wire you will save additional money.

Good Luck!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 1/2 ct is a great size (there is a thread of under 1 ct rings if you want to see examples) or have you ever thought of getting her a gemstone (like a sapphire)? I would only go this way if you are sure she would be happy with it but a three stone ring with diamonds on the side and a sapphire in the middle in classic IMHO. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Specs on this diamond. They have it in stock and do overnight delivery. If you decide on this you could probably get it by the end of the week.

Another plus: They have a 100% trade-up policy so you can upgrade in the future if you want to get a bigger stone.

Item Code: AGS-5129803          
Price: $1,995.00          
Report: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 0.70
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 63.4
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.64-5.67X3.53

matchless

Rough_Rock
Aww thanks wallermama! . . .
1.gif
Jelly, I''ve searched whitflash many times, and I think it''s great! I''ve pretty much decided that it''s the place to go, but I would like to hear some specific suggestions on certain stones/rings from those who know . . . can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance,
Lowell

matchless

Rough_Rock
oh wow, spoke too soon! :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 12:15:47 PM
Author: Jelly

Depth: 63.4
Girdle: Slightly thick to thick faceted
Jelly, I''m worried that with that stone''s large depth and thick girdle, it won''t face up as well as a 0.70 ct. should.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Expert Selection .50 ct

Here''s another option on the other end of your budget. This will also be beautiful!

Item Code: GIA-13618173          
Price: $998.00          
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.51
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.5
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.9
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 41
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: Thin
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 5.20-5.22X3.15

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
First, congratulations and I want to commend you on staying out of debt. Your are 100% right that e-ring debt is not how you want to start your marriage. there is always room for upgrade down the road:)

I did a quick search on www.whiteflash.com and found this. it's a J color but very well cut which tends to mask the color a bit but it's only $998.00.

link to WF stone

you could check about setting too, if you think she might like a little more bling this is a great deal at Pearlmans
$400 for WG setting..

036PO13.jpg

ETA: jelly, i see you beat me to the stone
2.gif

mac

Rough_Rock
Ooohhh...that Pearlman''s setting is fantastic, especially for the price. Mrssalvo, where on the site did you find it? Love their stuff, but I always have a hard time finding my way around if I don''t know the designer. Thanks!

matchless

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for replying so quickly!

Date: 2/7/2006 12:17:42 PM
Author: Kim N
You can get one of these diamonds:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6640202 $1403 with PS discount

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6640306# $1300 with PS discount

with a white gold 4-prong setting.

Kim, both of these seem to be around what I''m looking for in size and quality. Which of these two would you buy, and why? Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 1:47:12 PM
Author: matchless

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6640202 $1403 with PS discount

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=AGS-6640306# $1300 with PS discount

Which of these two would you buy, and why? Thanks!
The 0.7cts mentioned previously... it may not be the largest .7cts, but it is larger than .5. And the rest checks out.

Otherwise it would be the H/Si1 of the two cited here - although it really is a dice roll between them, with just one gade between their color and clarity. In theory, I would always go for higher color and lower clarity in any given range - especially if the clarity change doesn't show.

My 2c

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Matchless,
I just want to bring up something really quick. Don''t feel like you can''t afford something really nice. All the stones and ideas that people have put up on here are FABULOUS. I know when browing through pricescope you can see some REALLY large rings and tend to feel like maybe thats what everyone should have but really between my friends, work and family most of the people I know have between a .50ct to a 1ct ring. I think that would be most common. I have a .83 Ideal Cut stone and I LOVE IT. I''m telling you a well cut stone is fabulous. I see larger rings in the mall stores or sometimes someone will have a large ring and I can tell it''s a poor cut and it makes me just want to cuddle my ring hahaha. I''ve had it for a few months now and I still can''t stop staring at it. She will love it!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
of the two kim posted, if it''s eye clean, I''d go with the H SI1..I''d take the higher color over clarity
1.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 1:47:12 PM
Author: matchless

Kim, both of these seem to be around what I''m looking for in size and quality. Which of these two would you buy, and why? Thanks!
Lowell, have you seen well-cut H and I stones? Both of the stones above are a toss-up for me, so I''d go with the cheaper one, the I/VS2. It has good specs and a stunning IdealScope image.

If you want to consider the H/SI1, I''d call up Whiteflash first and ask if it''s eye-clean. Hope that helps.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 1:23:09 PM
Author: indecisive
The setting from Pearlman''s is from the previously owned section. It is a really great deal. If you bought it new it would be $1022. Here is the link http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/036PO1/0/a-14kt-white-gold-diamond-e-ring-by-gottlieb-and-son.-the-mounting-is-set-with-approx-.50ct-of-full-/

Good luck!
Love the setting from Pearlmans. My only concern would be the size of the ring and what your GF needs. Im not an expert about sizing rings, but with the diamonds in the band, there may be concern, especially if its full eternity. Im sure Bill would be more than happy to answer any questions about the ring.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
If you look closely it is only a half eternity so I think it could be sized like any other ring. Here is a bigger picture from the designers.

GS-26108ER.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I love the ring MrsSalvo posted from Pearlmans...I think it used to be Pebbles or she had one from the same company that is very similiar. My only concerns about that lovely setting would be that the head is meant for a 1ct diamond, and is a size six. Do you know her finger size? You can call Bill and ask him if a smaller stone would be allright.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 3:02:13 PM
Author: Matatora
I love the ring MrsSalvo posted from Pearlmans...I think it used to be Pebbles or she had one from the same company that is very similiar. My only concerns about that lovely setting would be that the head is meant for a 1ct diamond, and is a size six. Do you know her finger size? You can call Bill and ask him if a smaller stone would be allright.
Yes, that was my ring. It is a size 6 and I had a 1.04ct round in there. However, the head is a peg head so a new one could be put in very easily. It is only half eternity so sizing it down should not be a problem. When I originally bought it, it was already my size so that setting has never been sized.

I just want to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the setting. I just didn''t like it for myself, and besides, I had my heart set on the Scott Kay one I traded it in for. I hardly wore the ring at all so it truly is like new. I only had it for about 3 weeks before I sent it to Bill.

E B

Ideal_Rock

matchless

Rough_Rock
Wow, I''m amazed at all these replies! Thank you all for you kind comments and suggestions! I think I will probably go with something like Ebree suggested: a nice .5ct with a simple setting, unless someone has another fantastic suggestion!
2.gif

Kim, I actually have only been to one jeweler in my life. My girlfriend and I stopped by one at the mall a month or so ago just for fun, and also so I could get an idea of what she likes.
2.gif
So, I''ve seen a few stones, but I didn''t have much info on them, and also have a very untrained eye. I personally liked how the square-shaped stones looked, but my girlfriend definitely prefers the round diamonds. I also know that she would prefer a nicely cut small diamond as opposed to an okay large one, so thanks for the encouragement devientdrow. the .70ct that jelly found does look like a really great deal, but it''s just a little too high for me (rght now).

Virginia, as for the proposal . . . I don''t have anything definitively planned, yet. Right now, my goal is just to keep dropping hints that I''m still saving and looking blah blah blah . . . even though I plan on ordering her ring really soon. I''m hoping to get the ring in the next three weeks, because I would really like to ask her immediately after her dad gives me his blessing . . . she won''t expect that at all! I know if I make any expensive restuarant reservations or plan anything special she''ll be suspicious, so here''s my basic plan as of now: soon after speaking with her dad, I''ll ask her to go hiking with me (there''s a short mountain near her house that we walk to the top of every other week or so). I know that doesn''t seem very extravagant, but the sunsets are always beautiful here in AZ, and like I said, she won''t suspect it at all, which is what I''m really going for!

Again, thanks to everyone who''s read and commented . . . feel free to post more!
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
matchless, Whiteflash has several ACutAboves in your price range. I''d suggest that you look at the ACAs and then call Whiteflash to discuss with a salesperson the pros and cons of the various stones.

I happen to LOVE this one. It''s over a half carat and it has an amazing idealscope. It''s a .57 I, SI1 and is only $1315 before the Pricesscope discount.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2068564.htm#

IS_AGS-6755901.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
.563 ACA J SI2

How about this one? It''s an A Cut Above Superideal Diamond.

Item Code: AGS-6640401
Price: $1,124.00 (before Pricescope Discount)
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.563
Color: J
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 61.4
Table: 57.1
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown %: 14.9
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.29-5.32X3.25

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Uniondiamond.com also makes a replica of the Tiffany 6-prong knife-edge setting in white gold for $199. I think the classic tiffany is just so elegant. Most other vendors only make it in YG or platinum.

WG Tiffany

Another P''scoper, Kit got it in platinum. Here''s her SMTR post.

Good Luck!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
James Allen has one, #9551793 an SI-2, H, .70. I think with the PS discount it comes to $1739 then a simple band for $150 & you have a really nice ring for $1889. Sorry, I couldnt post it for some reason so you''ll have to just enter the product # in the search box. The dimensions for that diamond is
5.76 x 5.79 x 3.51. The .70 from WF is 5.64 x 5.67 x 3.53 . Ok, well, its an SI-1, but many people here have Si-2''s and are happy with them.
36.gif
The one from James Allen has a thin to med. girdle if that was what was bugging you from the WF diamond.

Judy
:)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgot to add that the simple knife edge band is 18K for $150. A pretty good deal all the way around.

Judy
:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results