shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find a wedding band to go with my knife-edge solitaire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I received a lot of great advice for my engagement ring so I thought I''d pose another question....
I have looked extensively at wedding bands online, and really love channel or shared prong eternity rings, but I am at a loss as to what would actually look right with my e-ring.

E-ring is a 6 prong RB on a band that is flat/domed at the shank but comes to a knife-edge at the setting, and it also tapers to the head. The widest part of the band is the bottom and the round donut at the base of the head is as wide as that too (Hope that made sense).

I''ve tried on a couple but it''s really hard to tell when my finger and e-ring are so small and the stores only stock standard sized bands. I know they will not sit flush so I''m ok with a gap, but I just want to find a width and setting that will compliment my e-ring.

I may have to settle for a knife-edge with no diamonds but I thought I''d ask for suggestions first.
Pics can be found in this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-classic-but-tapered-to-diamond.63600/. I know they are extremely blurry but I can''t get them any sharper, my camera just won''t do it...
7.gif

Thanks!!! B x

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I have a knife edge solitaire and took a bunch of photos with different style bands with it. Check out this thread to see them. The pix start on page 2.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2007 9:25:20 AM
Author: MaryAlaina
I have a knife edge solitaire and took a bunch of photos with different style bands with it. Check out this thread to see them. The pix start on page 2.
That is SUCH a helpful thread for anyone with a RB solitaire. I wish there were one like it for every e-ring on PS
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s no problem getting a shared prong band to go with a kinfe edge e-ring. The main consideration is to buy one that has a low setting that will not scratch the e-ring. The two that are set low are Memoire and Tiffany. Memoire is excellent quality, not cheap by any means, but less than Tiffany. You should be able to locate a retailer who carries Memoire to try on some with your ring. There are less expensive shared prong rings out there, but people post here all the time about having problems with the shared prong ring scratching their e-ring prongs, which is very unacceptable. I''d try for a size that is about the same width as your e-ring. I''d say stones that are about 5-6 points each would be very nice. Memoire makes bands with 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 stones, and full eternity. And you can choose the metal and level of diamond quality, too.

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Thanks MaryAlaina, Musey, Lynn B and diamondseeker 2006 for your advice!! I will have a look at those threads now.

MaryAlaina!!! I love your rings!!!!!! I forgot why I was looking at them and just gawked for a while...hehe, that is a great thread, it really helped me narrow it down.

Demelza''s thread was also really helpful, I really like the Vatche, knife-edge eternity, unfortunately, I am in Australia, so I can''t just pop into the stores that everyone raves about on PS
7.gif

I think I''m just going to have to try a lot on and go from there.

From what I understand, I probably won''t be able to get a shared prong one as the base of the head, slopes up to the prongs, and unless I find a band that is no higher than the donut then the prongs will be scratched. The donut will be scratched regardless but am I right in thinking that this won''t affect the security of my setting?

I''ll post more pics, that I think are a bit clearer.

DSC01755.JPG

newbie999

Rough_Rock

DSC01758.JPG

newbie999

Rough_Rock

DSC01756.JPG

newbie999

Rough_Rock

DSC01759.JPG

newbie999

Rough_Rock

I'm in the process of trying to take a good profile pic so you can see where the wedding band will have to sit in relation to the prongs....

DSC01762.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Newbie,

The Memoire and Tiffany rings have the diamonds set as low as the band itself. The part with the diamonds does not stick up above the level of the band hardly at all, if you get what I am saying. The diamonds in the Memoire band will not scratch the e-ring. It is just that the band will rub against the donut if the donut sticks out, and any wedding band will do that. If you can, go try on Memoire and Tiffany. Tiffany bands are made to go with their signature kinife edge setting, so that is why they are made low. Then you can see if any other brands are set as low as those. But if not, I''d definitely get Memoire or Tiffany.

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 8:22:55 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Newbie,

The Memoire and Tiffany rings have the diamonds set as low as the band itself. The part with the diamonds does not stick up above the level of the band hardly at all, if you get what I am saying. The diamonds in the Memoire band will not scratch the e-ring. It is just that the band will rub against the donut if the donut sticks out, and any wedding band will do that. If you can, go try on Memoire and Tiffany. Tiffany bands are made to go with their signature kinife edge setting, so that is why they are made low. Then you can see if any other brands are set as low as those. But if not, I''d definitely get Memoire or Tiffany.

Thanks diamondseeker2006, you''ve been so helpful!! I don''t think we can look at Memoire bands here in Oz, but I will definitely go and have a look at Tiffany.
Obviously a shared prong will rub more against the donut, but would you suggest avoiding this? I might have to come to a compromise, and go for a pave setting which seems to look as "sparkly" as a shared prong without the exposed diamonds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamonds on a Memoire band do not rub the ring next to it. But certainly, a bead set band like the Legacy band or any of the low channel set Tiffany bands would be great, too!

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/16/2007 1:59:31 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The diamonds on a Memoire band do not rub the ring next to it. But certainly, a bead set band like the Legacy band or any of the low channel set Tiffany bands would be great, too!
Thanks diamondseeker2006, I will take a look in Tiffany first and see how low they go. I can''t look at Memoire in store as I''m in Australia.

Here are some more pics, I don''t know how I made them clearer.

DSC01764i.JPG

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, I''m really sorry about the size of my hands in that one, and the wrinkliness too!! How horrible do my hands look!!

DSC01765i.JPG

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
newbie999, what a GORGEOUS ring you have! I think you can definately find a shared prong band that will work. My ering is similar to yours and I found a shared prong eternity band that sits very nicely with my ring. Slight rubbing, but I put it on the same direction each day so only one side of my ering gets rubbing, and here it is a few months later and the rubbing is NOT bad IMO. Here''s a link to mine for reference: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/together-at-last-signed-pieces-eternity-band-w-elaineh-inspired-wf-tiffany-knife-edge.63994/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results