shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose a new LV handbag...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone...

This is my first post in the shopping forum!

I am looking to purchase a new LV handbag - something in the monogram canvas line most probably. I prefer a fairly large capacity bag, and something that can be carried on the shoulder - I''m not one of those girls who can get by with a teeny bag carried on the arm (although I so wish that I was!).

I''m looking for something that could be an ''everyday'' bag. I have an Alma which I never use because it has the leather bottom and I''m always worried about getting it stained or grotty from bathroom counters, etc. Ideally I like something with outside pockets which saves me from blindly digging for my cellphone / blackberry (but I''m not necessarily set on this), and I like something that has a top that can be fully closed (I hate it when you have to slam your brakes on for whatever reason causing your handbag to topple over, leaving you have to pick all of your worldly goods off the floor of your car).

So, I''ll post links for the ones that I''m currently looking at, although I''m open to suggestions! Thanks!

1) the Tivoli GM

I''ve tried to attach a promo image below

2) the Batignolles horizontale:

http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse/product_detail.jsp?id=10885631

3) the Hudson GM

http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse/product_detail.jsp?id=11028156

3) the Vivacite GM

http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse/product_detail.jsp?id=10517409

Thanks for your feedback!
35.gif

1739294447_ed072a4dcd_o.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I luuuurrrvveee the Manhattan (GM or PM)...Marc Jacobs designed it, it has fab outside pockets (love the outside pockets feature in my MBMJ bag for my cell, etc.), and it closes completely.

monomanhattangm.jpg

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE theTivoli GM, I want one myself. The Batignolles horizontale doesn''t have the fully closed top like you want.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the Tulum GM and love it. It is somewhat of a hobo type bag. Holds a nice amount without being huge and still has some nice style to it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Of your top choices, I would go with the Tivoli GM. I also do love the Manhattan like monarch! The canvas bags are great as every day bags, the only problem with some of them is that the bags cannot hold their shape well if they''re not stuffed full! The Tivoli and the Manhattan would both be good I think.

I just bought the Mini Lin Croisette Marina and it''s canvas, but the shape of the bag lends itself to being unstructured, so the canvas is fine.

LVblue.jpg

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Oh also, what about leather LV bags... with FEET?
1.gif
Then you don''t have to worry as much about the bottom! I honestly never set my bags on the floor now, which can sort of be a pain.

I love the Suhali Lockit, and I HAVE to have this color for spring:

LVgrey.jpg

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 8:18:18 PM
Author: monarch64
I luuuurrrvveee the Manhattan (GM or PM)...Marc Jacobs designed it, it has fab outside pockets (love the outside pockets feature in my MBMJ bag for my cell, etc.), and it closes completely.

I noticed this bag because I love the look of it, but I wondered if the flap/buckle thing would be a pain? What''s your experience with it?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 8:36:39 PM
Author: diamondfan
I have the Tulum GM and love it. It is somewhat of a hobo type bag. Holds a nice amount without being huge and still has some nice style to it.

The Tulum was another one that I looked at at the LV counter the other day - it seems pretty functional.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 8:43:55 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Of the ones you posted, I prefer the Tivoli. When I was in Edmonton over Christmas, I believe they were sold out--but don''t know what the situation is here. Have you seen all the new goodies on the LV site?
30.gif

ETA: here is my latest...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2008-handbag-wish-list.75300/

cheers--Sharon

Hey Sharon -

I love your picks! Yes, the Tivoli is sold out here, too - there''s a 2 month waiting list, which is a significant downer. I think that I like the look of it best of the ones that I listed.
15.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2008 9:06:54 PM
Author: bem3231

Date: 1/30/2008 8:43:55 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Of the ones you posted, I prefer the Tivoli. When I was in Edmonton over Christmas, I believe they were sold out--but don''t know what the situation is here. Have you seen all the new goodies on the LV site?
30.gif

ETA: here is my latest...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2008-handbag-wish-list.75300/

cheers--Sharon

Hey Sharon -

I love your picks! Yes, the Tivoli is sold out here, too - there''s a 2 month waiting list, which is a significant downer. I think that I like the look of it best of the ones that I listed.
15.gif
HI:

Well, it might come in around the time of the Spring Personal Shopping Night that means $$ back to you in GC''s!

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2008 9:04:03 PM
Author: bem3231

I noticed this bag because I love the look of it, but I wondered if the flap/buckle thing would be a pain? What''s your experience with it?
I''ve carried bags with an over-top closure before and the added security to me far outweighs the inconvenience. The over the zipper strap/buckle is pretty easy to get used to and for anyone who is concerned with security it can be seen as an added bonus. I think with any handbag the user will find that there are some disadvantages..Bem, what I got from your initial post was that you would like to have a bag you could use everyday, not worry about the bottom getting dirty, not worry about the top not closing completely in case the whole thing was sent flying upon braking hard in your car, large enough storage capacity, could be carried on shoulder, and maybe had outer pockets to hold your cellphone/other essentials within easy reach. If the Manhattan doesn''t do all those things...I don''t know what bag can, LOL! Happy shopping, can''t wait to see what you end up with!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Monarch - I''ll call the LV counter today and see if they have one of these in that I could look at. I appreciate your feedback!
1.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock

be still my heart! this is still my prize LV....comepletely iconic i think! the buckle thing doesn''t bother me too much because you can unzip it from the side and just reach in cuz the bag is big enough. and it is just gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! the weight is a bit of downer if you caryy a ton of stuff though. i tend to travel lightly so the weight isn''t an issue for me.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2008 9:00:26 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
Oh also, what about leather LV bags... with FEET?
1.gif
Then you don''t have to worry as much about the bottom! I honestly never set my bags on the floor now, which can sort of be a pain.

I love the Suhali Lockit, and I HAVE to have this color for spring:

oh lordy...why oh why did you have to show me this?! i was satisfied with my life knowing not knowing this color existed for the suhali lockit (which i''ve been coveting forever and ever and ever) and now it''s in a have to have it or die color?!?! you''re just cruel to do this....just plain mean!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
BEM, how exciting!

I too love the look of the Manhattan, which comes in two sizes. One potential negative is that it is a HEAVY bag while empty-- the additional structure and hardware looks good, but certainly adds on to the weight!

The best thing to do is to go into a store and "try on" a few bags. I was recently in a similar position to you-- wanting a larger monogram canvas bag-- and found that, FOR ME, the openness of the Batignoles bugged me, the Manhattan felt heavy empty, the Hudson didn''t open wide enough to accommodate a laptop and magazine in the times I would be using it as a personal carry-on for travel, etc. etc.

In the end, I came to the same conclusion as Lindsey-- that the Suhali Lockit is one incredible bag. It is stunning. The monogram version does have the vachetta (sp?) bottom though, so it might not work for you. But both in photos and in person, the Suhali version is stunning in both sizes.

(In the end, I wanted a monogram and got the monogram version, but I''m going to do something I never thought I''d do-- look into that AppleGuard folks mention so frequently on handbag websites!)

Have fun LV shopping!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all of the ideas and feedback so far, everyone!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the first one, is that the tivoili?

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
These are all fab, but GUCCI has some stunning bags too... :)

Happy Shopping!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2008 7:40:03 PM
Author: mintve
I LOVE the first one, is that the tivoili?

I love that first one, too - and yes, it is the Tivoli. There is also a waiting list for it...
40.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bem, I like the Tivoli but still LOVE the Manhattan...I have seen a few Tivoli''s out and about as well as Keepalls (which look so similar to me) but I''ve never seen the Manhattan on someone''s arm irl. Fleur''s point is of course valid that the Manhattan is heavy while empty, but if you used it as an everyday bag I can''t figure out why this would be a problem? would it ever be so empty as to constitute it being "heavy?" Maybe I''m missing something here. Unconfuse me, anyone, if you will...
9.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have the manhattan pm and love it. I call it my classic LV, never go out of style bag. I like that it is structured as I find it a pain digging around my bag looking for things. I don''t use the front pockets at all. As mentioned before, it does have the zipper on the top, great so nothing falls out and also so no one can reach into your bag and grab your wallet.

I never actually liked it before, but after a while it started to grow on me and then one day I decided I wanted it.

It is heavier than my other LVs, but you get used to it and since I carry it mostly on my forearm, I don''t notice the weight too much.

You have to figure out what you will be carrying in the bag and how much space you will need. The bags you posted are all different sizes and you don''t want to pick the wrong size.
2.gif

In general, I carry a planner, wallet, makeup case, small case for pens and a small purseket where I throw my work id, gum, keys, etc. into. It all fits into the manhattan pm well.

Right now, if I had to pick just one bag though, I would get the LV black neo cabby mm. I went to the store the other day to try it on and I am so in love!!! Love that the leather doesn''t turn, love that it has feet on the bottom, love the whole casual look and love the option of using the shoulder handle. It kind of reminds me of a Balenciaga City.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I swear by my LV Batignolles Horizontal. You do not need to be easy on it and it always fits on the shoulder, even w/ a coat.
I can''t live w/o this bag!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results