shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help- In a diamond rut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mango7

Rough_Rock
About a couple months ago I was attempting to buy a 3 tcw ring for my GF at an established "mall" diamond store. I had looked at the 4 tcw ring before and thought it was very beautiful, albeit low quality and too big. They wanted $30k for it, but I told them it was more than I wanted to spend and I thought the $16k 3 tcw was perfect. The salesperson told me she would have this 3 tcw ring the following week with the desired setting--Perfect since I was ready to propose to my GF while on vacation.
I came back a week later and sure enough it was in and I was fully ready to buy it. The saleswoman was ready for me that day, no doubt. She shows me the 3 tcw ring and it was beautiful, but something was amiss. I looked at the main diamond from the side and could see a very large inclusion, which really bothered me because at that point I realized that it was crap. It also dawned on me that the setting was the wrong one too!! Then, I noticed that, all alone, and sitting directly in front of me in the showcase was the 4 tcw ring, with the correct setting
29.gif
! I was livid! These losers tried to con me, ruining my proposal plans for the next week. I abruptly told her that I was prepared to buy then and there, and, she knew what I had wanted from the beginning. I basically said "I'm finished".

Now I have backed off from buying for fear of buying junk, and realize that I must educate myself before buying again
34.gif
. Can anyone offer any advice where to buy at this point in the Washington DC area? I need to buy something within two months before I go on vacation again. I am drained from this aforementioned experience, but I have an obligation to my poor, extremely patient girlfriend (she's been waiting 6 years). Kind thanks if you can help me.

Regards,

C

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you opposed to buying online??? Because with that budget you can buy a gorgeous stone from many of the vendors here. What shape are you looking for???? What type of setting etc...???

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
While I have never dealt with them http://www.jamesallen.com/ (formerly/still kinda known as http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com) is based in or around DC/Baltimore. I think that would be an awesome place for you to start, as they have some really nice stuff. If you do a search, you can find a ton of pictures of satisfied customers rings around here. I''m not sure if they do in store, but I saw on their site that they gave a independent appraiser that is relatively local to you that they will work with.

Best of luck!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mango7:
35.gif

Congratulations on your upcoming proposal!

The best thing you can do is to educate yourself on this forum
34.gif
and learn how CUT (cut doesn''t mean shape) is your # 1 priority.

I''m sure you could find a lot of gorgeous 3 stone rings within your budget from any of the online vendors here if you do some shopping.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Heather

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mango,

Forget about her, I must have you....no, wait, wrong TV show.

1) If you''re shopping local (see the link below my signature), you might decided to constrain your shopping to those stores that have apparatus that can measure crown & pavilion angles. Really, do a search here, because there''s lots of recommendations for the DC area. But, if you just look for shops that have either sarin or OGI, that will, I think, take you to:

Charleston Alexander
Washington Diamond
Dirt Cheap Diamonds/DCD/James Alexander
Christian Bernard (HoF/expensive)

other notables, maybe:

Protea
Charles Schwartz
IceMine
Diamond Exchange of MD/Ira Kramer

2) If you want to do this local, you could build your ring around something like this at DCD.

3) There''s something to be said about working with someone like White Flash in TX or Good Old Gold in NY.

4) unfortunately, no local independent appraiser employs those cut measuring devices that I''m aware of

5) I can''t imagine that the August Gem show is a place you''d want to shop for this, but some of us will get together in DC to talk shop regardless later this month; consider coming along and joining us if you''re so motivated. You can read about it here.

Regards,

Mango7

Rough_Rock
Ira, Heather, mrmedoes, and Kaleigh--You are all so kind to give your suggestions to such a diamond dummy!. I will respond more in length later since I am currently tied-up at work
25.gif

Regards,

Curt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results