shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning to recut my "Fat-A$$" Peridot this holiday - Suggestions are welcome

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry you''ve lost some of the colour. I''m another who is surprised at the amount of carat weight you''ve lost. Did the cutter explain why?

Anyway, I''m pleased that you like the final result and that it''s improved its sparkle. That''s good news.

In terms of native/precision - actually they both have beauty. Both can have phenomenal colour, and presence.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about the news of loss of that rich green. A larger stone will usually retain that saturation better as it has more material for the light to travel through. A recut usually results in some loss but to lose 4 ct out of 6 ct is quite drastic. I would suspect a fracture that kept growing or something similar. Have you asked Bob about the reason why?

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
To everyone who posted,

Guys, thank you so much for your warm responses. Truly appreciated. Bob didn''t explain to me the color result once it''s cut. But I was anticipating that it would still be rich & have less yellow. I didn''t ask Bob why this drastic loss in its size either. But I gues its probably due to some large "feather" inclusions and lily pads. I was really excited ''cos I requested him if it''s possible to even come up with a 9mm RB (but it turned out to be 8.2mm) Also, uhmm, Bob is well, A man of few words (?) ''cos he only replied to me with just a sentence or even a phrase through email... I have a 5ct native cut blue zircon that I''m planning to send for a recut. But I guess I''d find another cutter who can cut it with less weight loss and can retain its nice blue color... Nevertheless, I still admire & respect Bob.
12.gif

It''s Christmas here today in my country... Merry Christmas to everyone & again, thank you so much for your kind words & warm responses. I''ll be posting RL pics tomorrow
35.gif

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
My apology for the delay. Anyways, here are (tons) of RL pics of my recut peridot.

(& please forgive some of my blurred photographs
5.gif
)

A_mint_per1.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It turned out lovely! True that it''s a different kind of green now, but it''s still a very nice shade IMO, not like it turned into some muddy, brownish looking green or something. Now it looks more like a nice mali garnet or a chrysoberyl, and before the recut it''s color was like that of some tourmalines or tsavorites. Whatever you do with it, I''m sure it''ll be great.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 5:49:45 AM
Author: ma re
It turned out lovely! True that it''s a different kind of green now, but it''s still a very nice shade IMO, not like it turned into some muddy, brownish looking green or something. Now it looks more like a nice mali garnet or a chrysoberyl, and before the recut it''s color was like that of some tourmalines or tsavorites. Whatever you do with it, I''m sure it''ll be great.

Thanks ma re for ur kind words. I now love it more than ever! I''m so excited to have set this early 2010.

Here''s some more pix...

A_mint_per7.JPG

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
The stone has a lovely color, with loads of sparkle!
36.gif

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing all your comments & responses to this thread. Happy New Year everyone!
35.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s quite pretty and sparkly! I''m sorry you lost some of the color saturation, but it still looks like a beautiful stone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blithe,
Do you like it? Or do you regret getting it recut? I see what you mean by the stone showing a yellow undertone but it is incredibly brilliant and lively.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it''s far more yellow than before BUT it looks so much better and full of life. I guess it''s a trade off isn''t it?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 4:12:19 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I agree, it''s far more yellow than before BUT it looks so much better and full of life. I guess it''s a trade off isn''t it?
Ditto what LD said. Your stone looks more lively now and it has more personality.

But I''m sorry that you couldn''t keep the original color that you loved. At least now you know if you want color saturation or brilliance next time.

It''s still gorgeous though! Rose gold might help bring out the green even more.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your kind words everyone.

Laila619: I lost the saturation but I think it''s still worth it.

Chrono: Yes, I love it
30.gif
. I was somehow having my regret when I first got it but then, I began to appreciate & love it more each day. The yellow blends nicely with the green.

LD: I agree w/ you, it''s a trade off. I miss its original saturation but I''m now loving its brightness & sparkle.

platinumrock: I''m planning a two tone setting. YG or RG bezel & white metal for the shank... For my next gem purchase, I want both. Saturation & brilliance plus USA cut hehe
2.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 6:15:47 PM
Author: blithesome71
Thank you for your kind words everyone.

Laila619: I lost the saturation but I think it''s still worth it.

Chrono: Yes, I love it
30.gif
. I was somehow having my regret when I first got it but then, I began to appreciate & love it more each day. The yellow blends nicely with the green.

LD: I agree w/ you, it''s a trade off. I miss its original saturation but I''m now loving its brightness & sparkle.

platinumrock: I''m planning a two tone setting. YG or RG bezel & white metal for the shank... For my next gem purchase, I want both. Saturation & brilliance plus USA cut hehe
2.gif
Blithe, I was going to suggest an 18K YG or RG head but I wasn''t sure if you liked YG. As someone who had a greenish stone set in 18K RG, the green definitely came alive! If you want the yellow to come out, YG can definitely add a warmth and richness to your stone. Either choices are awesome! I love the two-tone bezel with white shank idea.

Hehee..don''t we want it all in our stones?
11.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is VERY lively for sure! I''m still sorry about the color because it sure was something nice! but its the tradeoff. I''m glad you like it!

-A

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Well, what it lost in color is surely gained in sparkle!

However, I really think this should be a lesson to those considering re-cuts. You just don''t know what the outcome will be. Stones can break, color change. Tread carefully!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like someone took its sunglasses off and it can now see the sunlight and sparkle in response...very nice!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting thread. Exactly the reason why I don''t re-cut other peoples stones. Too much of a chance for lost expectations.... size, color, shape etc.
There must have been some inclusion he was working around to give such a weight loss. Normally anything more than 50% on a recut is a lot to loose.

As a stone gets smaller, it''s tone will naturally lighten as there is just less colored stone for the light to travel through. Concave cutting is actually one way to deepen the tone of a stone. Identical material will looker darker in a concave cut.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Platinumrock: Thanks for the RG idea. Hmm, I''ll try to consider that as I really want the green to come alive than the yellow... hehe I really like that "dancing banana" avatar of yours. It makes me feel like dancing to hehe
9.gif

Arcadian: Thanks for your post. Oh I just envy your rich & very yummy 6ct. paki peridot
2.gif

Largosmom: lol, thank you for your kind words.
5.gif

icekid: Yup, I''ve learned my lesson but I''m still happy with the trade off. Btw, I love that gem in your avatar. Looks yummy & pretty.

Gene: Thank you for chiming in. Had I known this great loss in weight, I would''ve requested a concave cut to darken its color... Good thing though that the sparkle made it up for the lost saturation.

...Hmmm, next time, I''m going try sending a rough to a cutter for faceting and see what''ll be the result.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 10:46:57 PM
Author: blithesome71
Platinumrock: Thanks for the RG idea. Hmm, I''ll try to consider that as I really want the green to come alive than the yellow... hehe I really like that ''dancing banana'' avatar of yours. It makes me feel like dancing to hehe
9.gif

Arcadian: Thanks for your post. Oh I just envy your rich & very yummy 6ct. paki peridot
2.gif

Largosmom: lol, thank you for your kind words.
5.gif

icekid: Yup, I''ve learned my lesson but I''m still happy with the trade off. Btw, I love that gem in your avatar. Looks yummy & pretty.

Gene: Thank you for chiming in. Had I known this great loss in weight, I would''ve requested a concave cut to darken its color... Good thing though that the sparkle made it up for the lost saturation.

...Hmmm, next time, I''m going try sending a rough to a cutter for faceting and see what''ll be the result.
Thanks, Blithe! You can boogie to Mr. Banana anytime!
3.gif

I can''t wait to see your peridot set. It''s going to be gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results