shape
carat
color
clarity

Planning to recut my "Fat-A$$" Peridot this holiday - Suggestions are welcome

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi PSersssss
35.gif

It''s lurker blithe again. I''m planning to send my 6-ct. native oval "fatty" peridot for recutting this holiday season (or maybe on january 2010). This gem means a lot to me ''cos it''s my first ever gem purchase (from a local jeweler) although I never got used to it due to its cut.

So I''m here again to ask for some of your suggestions on which shape/cut/design do you think will suit this gem? EC, octagon asscher, cushion, concave round? sample photos are highly welcome...

anyways, here are the pics of my Fatty Peridot...
5.gif

.FAT_Ass_Peridot_1.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another.... (The facets of this gem are worn down, lots of tiny scratches on the table and some chips on the pavillion
7.gif
so it definitely needs a dramatic makeover)

.FAT_Ass_Peridot_2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are it''s dimensions? It has a fat belly, but it doesn''t look like it''s very deep, so I''m guessing in a recut (I''d do oval or round) you would lose a lot of carat weight. Who are you going to have to it?

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi Freke,

I think it''s 13mm x 10mm (Not so sure though. I''ll try to measure it again with a ruler). It''s got a distracting window due to its deep pavillion. It''s as if it''s got a Fish eye
5.gif
I''m still choosing between Bob kast and a german cutter named Uli...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean the depth measurement. I was told that to recut a larger stone to about 6x8 dimensions it needed to be at least 5mm deep, but preferred 6mm or greater. And that was for a pretty small stone. I imagine that for a stone that size, the depth would have to be much greater to get ideal pavilion angles.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It all depends on what''s doable in regards to the recutting process (I''m no expert, you''ll have to consult some for this). If I could choose, I''d probably go with a cushion, to keep it looking closer to the original because of the sentimental value. Step cuts or concaves would result in some very dramatic makeovers.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet that the cutter will take a look at the stone and give you 1 or 2 shape options based on the dimensions of the stone.

The color looks very nice, hope you do get it recut!!
9.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think an oval or elongated cushion would be gorgeous.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my concave peridot and love it sooo much that is what I would suggest if possible, otherwise love the step cuts and cushion perhaps. I don't recommend Portuguese round for some reason on my peridot it creates this illusion of extinction somewhat in pictures, but it really just moves around as the pattern is tilted
37.gif
although Portuguese cut is such a beautiful facet pattern just not on peridots
40.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the best weight and size retention, I''d suggest an oval, otherwise an elongated cushion or round next. Step cut and concave cutting will also mean a greater weight loss.Your stone isn''t deep at all but it has a fat belly. The reason for the window/fish eye is due to the last few angles in the pavilon being to shallow.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild, I got the correct dimensions: It''s 13mm x 11mm, total depth is around 6.5-6.8mm. It took me a while to get it.
1.gif

Thanks guys for your suggestions. For the shape, I''m choosing between a square and a round. It''s ok with me to sized it down to 2ct as long as it gets a nice transformatiion. Here''s the photo of the design (suggested by the cutter) Please let me know what you think of the design. Many thanks
1.gif

LR_Brilliant.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a nice design but I''m not too keen on it for your peridot. You aren''t going to get much brilliance and sparkle with a design like that, not to mention, in order to get the wheel spoke effect in the center, the rich colour of your peridot is sacrificed.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono.
35.gif
Everyone, thanks for chiming in. Here''s another cut that I saw from gemline
5.gif

5076_square.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now we are talking!
30.gif

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Chrono: that''s what I thought too. I don''t want its colour to suffer. Afterall, the colour is what made me attracted to this peridot despite its cut. I just want to give it a new look that''ll bring out its colour more. I''m fine sizing it down to 7mm-7.5mm...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the right cut and the colour maintained, you are going to love it more than ever, even with a slight size reduction. It's a good colour for a peridot, not too yellow or olive at all.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2009 7:16:46 PM
Author: blithesome71
Hi Chrono.
35.gif
5.gif
Oh my peachy goodness!
30.gif

I agree with Chrono, the slight reduction in size is worth the improved color and cut.

Your stone is going to be more beautiful.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hoe ''bout this one? This also another design from the cutter. It''s an oregon fire opal. It''s somehow similar with the design from gemline... (I kinda like the 4-rayed "star" effect... somehow symbolic to the star when christ was born
17.gif
)

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Ooops sorry, I forgot to attach the photo. My bad
5.gif

Anyways, here it is...

Glacial_Ice.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono.
35.gif
5.gif
Love this
30.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chrono.
35.gif
5.gif
That''s a lovely cut. It reminds me a bit of this one from Barry. I think either would look great for a peridot.

BBSquareCushion.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
*** UPDATE ***

Ok, I finally received my peridot yesterday. Bob Kast recut it from 6+ ct. down to 2.21 ct... I initially chose the Square Cushion design but then, I changed my mind and suggested to cut it in a RB design similar to his 91-facets RB. I also requested it to be a 8.5mm....

...& the result was an 8.2mm, 100-facets RB design. The overall cut is superb & I so love it. Great light return, much better sparkle & flash...

However, the colour of the stone reduced greatly. I mean, from its rich green color when it was still ''Fat'' & Native cut, it''s now a lighter *yellow green*. It''s now got a better cut & polish but the "color" was sacrificed... I still definitely love my peridot; it''s juts that, I kinda miss its original rich color...

I guess native cut is about richness of colour while precision cut is more about sparkle & brilliance... But that''s just my own opinion. I may be wrong...

I''ll try to post some RL pics after Xmas. But for now, I''ll just leave this color that I found from google. It''s very similar to the resulted color of my newly recut Peridot.

YGreen_Recut_Peridot.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just called Santa and he said you get coal in your stocking if we have to wait until after Christmas.

Just sayin.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Awww, bummer about losing some color, but I''m looking forward to seeing your pics. I''ll bet it''s a lot flashier!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Packrat: Hehe nice one, sorry to keep you waiting ''til 26th. I was supposed to get some RL shots but something came up. But I''ll promise to post some shots on the 26th (25th there in US) so it''s only a day of waiting...
5.gif

Cellentani: yeah, i was kinda surprise not because of its new cut but rather because of its new lighter color... BTW, I really love your 9mm green peridot from Gene. Its color & cut is superb!

Happy holidays everyone! ^__^

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The reduction in color saturation is normal with stone recuts, and (in case he didn''t) the cutter should''ve informed you about that. Very few materials will keep a lot of the original saturation after a recut, and those usually cost a lot (like fine rubies etc.). You can observe that in three stone rings for example, especially those with fake stones (cause there, material has the same hue/tone/saturation so it''s easier to assess). The larger (center) stone is always more saturated and vivid in color, compared to side stones. Still, you got another aspect of the stone, and if you''re not happy with the color, maybe you can play it up with the right setting and/or accent stones.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi All and Merry Christmas
36.gif
well almost...

IF it were mine I would more-than-likely go with a fancy round , wind wheel, etc. and the cutter should be able to get a 9.8 to 10mm out of it. The pavilion looks decent in depth and it has a shallow crown but that is not an issue.

I think if you try to retain size/weight in an oval you will have to use a keel type culet and will possibly give the blink effect. So cuts like super nova oval are out unless you want to really reduce the size as that is a deep pavilion cut.

You could go with a antique cushion rectangle or square; but I also feel that would be one of those iffy cuts as we really do not know the depth and bulge factor of the pavilion???

Just my opinion; but IF it were mine that round I think would give me more weight and BLING for the buck...

I wish everyone on this forum the warmest of this Holiday Season...

Most respectfully;

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/24/2009 3:13:01 AM
Author: ma re
The reduction in color saturation is normal with stone recuts, and (in case he didn''t) the cutter should''ve informed you about that. Very few materials will keep a lot of the original saturation after a recut, and those usually cost a lot (like fine rubies etc.). You can observe that in three stone rings for example, especially those with fake stones (cause there, material has the same hue/tone/saturation so it''s easier to assess). The larger (center) stone is always more saturated and vivid in color, compared to side stones. Still, you got another aspect of the stone, and if you''re not happy with the color, maybe you can play it up with the right setting and/or accent stones.

Depends on the recut. It''s certainly possible to design the pavillion to minimize loss of color and if the original is very windowed a good recut can improve the coluor. Still, that''s a LOT of stone ground off.

Honestly, it would have broken my heart to knock nearly 4 cts off a Peridot and I probably would have just gotten you a new piece of rough.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2009 10:50:51 PM
*** UPDATE ***

Ok, I finally received my peridot yesterday. Bob Kast recut it from 6+ ct. down to 2.21 ct... I initially chose the Square Cushion design but then, I changed my mind and suggested to cut it in a RB design similar to his 91-facets RB. I also requested it to be a 8.5mm....

...& the result was an 8.2mm, 100-facets RB design. The overall cut is superb & I so love it. Great light return, much better sparkle & flash...

However, the colour of the stone reduced greatly. I mean, from its rich green color when it was still ''Fat'' & Native cut, it''s now a lighter *yellow green*. It''s now got a better cut & polish but the ''color'' was sacrificed... I still definitely love my peridot; it''s juts that, I kinda miss its original rich color...

I guess native cut is about richness of colour while precision cut is more about sparkle & brilliance... But that''s just my own opinion. I may be wrong...

I''ll try to post some RL pics after Xmas. But for now, I''ll just leave this color that I found from google. It''s very similar to the resulted color of my newly recut Peridot.
Thats the main reason why I am rather freaked out by recutting. My burmese peridot could stand to be recut as the facets aren''t totally straight but I do not want to lose the color. Sorry to hear you lost so much material on yours
8.gif

-A

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 10:50:51 PM
*** UPDATE ***

I guess native cut is about richness of colour while precision cut is more about sparkle & brilliance... But that's just my own opinion. I may be wrong...

I'm sorry your peridot lost some of its great colour in the recut Blithe - I just wanted to point out the above statement for newbies etc reading, imho is not necessarily true.
It just all depends on the rough (or recut candidate) and the skill of the cutter.
Its not as "black and white" as that..

Either way, I'm kinda with Lisa on this one, it seems a shame to cut so much weight off such a large stone..perhaps it wasn't the best course of action for this candidate..

Again, sorry you didn't get the results you hoped for but please do still post pictures, I'm sure it's still very pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results