shape
carat
color
clarity

Places to hide valubles

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. Does anyone have any ingenious places to hide their valuables. It’s that time of the year again, and I have been racking my brain about this.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, this is a gentle reminder that you are far easier to find online than you think. Thus we strongly recommend not sharing things like this online, especially on a forum where you’ve shared your beautiful jewelry.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I know. Very frustrating.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hide them wherever you hid the ”a” for valuables in the thread title.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the thief is my DH, put them front and center on any shelf at eye level.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stuff goes to the safe deposit box at the bank during long vacations. I have several places in the house for short term hiding but I never remember where they are, hence, I have 3 unset gems and a few other pieces that I have been unable to find for the past 4 years. If I were a better housekeeper, I probably would have found them by now.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wherever you end up hiding them, make a note of it on your phone or computer. Create a document, maybe-- "where hidden stuff is" That sort of thing.
My dad actually had a 3 ring binder where he recorded where everything could be found!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Wherever you end up hiding them, make a note of it on your phone or computer. Create a document, maybe-- "where hidden stuff is" That sort of thing.
My dad actually had a 3 ring binder where he recorded where everything could be found!

+1. And give a copy to your spouse (or whomever else your executor is likely to be). Or make sure they can access it.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Reactions: DAF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Important PSA! ...

Since I'm such a darned nice guy, you may all hide your jewelry, cash, and gold bars in MY house.

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Aside from a safe deposit box or home safe, here are some ideas:

Under heavy furniture that goes all the way to the floor but still has a little space underneath.

Under bathroom vanity or kitchen cabinets (pull out a lower drawer and drop them in).

In the back of the closet, on a shelf or under other stuff or in a pair of shoes or suitcase that no one is likely to want to steal.

In the kitchen cabinets, in a food container or hollow out a soup can or something like that. Or in bathroom cabinets, in a boxed product, then seal the box back up.

Sew into the curtain hem.

When you think about it, there are tons of places that a thief probably wouldn't think to look. Just don't forget where you put it!

ETA: Another idea I've heard of is to leave a "decoy" jewelry box on the dresser or other easily seen place, with your costume jewelry in it.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I can offer one bit of advice from when my apartment was robbed some years back, and all my jewelry stolen - don't keep it in the bedroom. That was the only room they completely trashed, and they did trash it. Every item was ripped from every drawer, shelf, closet, bag, box. They even moved my mattress to check under it. And carried everything away in a pillow case! :angryfire:

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
My grandfather who was the smartest man I’ve ever known, when they poured his basement, had a safe set in the concrete under the stairs. Now, he also buried coffee cans full of quarters all around the house, lol…. But what was in that safe wasn’t going anywhere :lol-2::kiss2:

Miss you grandpa.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ya know, there's always body cavities. :eek2:

Nobody would think to look in your 'special NO-NO place'.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I can offer one bit of advice from when my apartment was robbed some years back, and all my jewelry stolen - don't keep it in the bedroom. That was the only room they completely trashed, and they did trash it. Every item was ripped from every drawer, shelf, closet, bag, box. They even moved my mattress to check under it. And carried everything away in a pillow case! :angryfire:

So sorry to hear this. We had a home invasion when I was in high school. We were all tied up. He knew my mom had a big ring….

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
My mum used to hide her jewellery in socks in the sock drawer... not in boxes or anything, she just put the ring or earrings straight in the sock.. she hid it so well that she lost multiple items hahaha.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not behind an electric outlet. Someone here did that at one point and it ended in the item being destroyed. I don't remember who or how long ago it was, but that was so horrible!

I like the ideas of keeping a list. Sadly, the most logical hiding places are also often the first looked. The least obvious or most blended in are most often overlooked by criminals but are also easy to forget or accidentally toss out...

As Ella reminded, we are all pretty easy to find these days, so I won't share my plans. Just look at your home and think what makes sense there. Cross off the obvious. Go from there.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are weird hidey holes all around the house.
Just start looking.....

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear this. We had a home invasion when I was in high school. We were all tied up. He knew my mom had a big ring….

That's horrifying, and I'm so sorry! I am very grateful I was not home at the time of the break-in. Mine was a simple crime of opportunity. They came in via my fire escape. :/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results