shape
carat
color
clarity

Pixy''s Christmas: Two Asschers, One Tacky Jeweler Clerk

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone . . .

My Christmas this year was heavily PS-influenced.
3.gif
BUT, before we get to that, I have to say that I am about to give up hope in regards to the jeweler situation. I don''t know what to blame, perhaps pheromones? An undetected forcefield? LOL

First, there was the dearth of local jewelers except for the one who crazily expected $150/carat for simple prong settings. You may remember that thread. SO, I decided a few months ago to just wait until I went to my (previous, ahem) jeweler at home for the holidays. Gathered up all the pretties, took them home with clear plans of what I wanted to do for them . . . all I''d need to do was locate it in the jeweler''s catalog. Easy, right? This was top of my list of things I was looking to do while home (ok, maybe that sounds sad . . . ).

Well, BIG let-down. It''s a no-frills store that''s pretty stuck in the 80''s, v. "down-home" (we''re Southern, I''m no stranger to that), and he caters to mostly older people with v.low modest budgets who have limited jewelry needs. Think gold crosses and engagement rings under half a carat. It works to my advantage b/c he doesn''t have gloss or finesse, but he''s done v.reliable work in uncomplicated settings . . . and really cheap compared to $150/carat fees! I brought along my cheap Tripps sterling mock setting for my citrine acorn (to see if it was do-able), but other than that was going for simple (cheap!) four prong Tiffany solitaire settings.

BUT . . . just ugh. He employs family members and the woman I got was the worst of them . . . v.unfinished, v.tacky, v.redneck. There''s just no other way to say it! I accidentally left the acorn setting in my suitcase, but figured I''d go in and get prices for all the others since we were in that area shopping anyway -- plus, I had to wait for Christmas to receive my new gems to bring in as well. Figured I''d bring the acorn setting back then and make one big order. I pulled out just a few to start -- 8mm topaz asscher, the little 6mm spess asscher, and the 11mm citrine acorn. Granted, not more "normal" small stones except for the spess, but the woman huffed and puffed and threw up her hands and declared "goodlordhavemercy, I don''t know WHO would cut these suckers so deep" and THEN "I don''t know WHY people buy this CRUISE SHIP CRAP" (!!!!!) as she flew from the counter to the back to consult with one of the benchmen a few times.

29.gif

Oh my. You can probably imagine what was going through my head. After the "CRUISE SHIP CRAP" comment, I couldn''t refrain from pointedly responding "no, ACTUALLY I COMMISSIONED this cut from a well-regarded precision lapidary" and started to gather up the babies back into their cases. It was obvious at that point that I did not want this crass woman with no manners or customer service skills to have anything to do with my lovely gems, even if they were "only" topaz and citrine. In the midst of her flailing and wild declarations, she had no idea what an asscher even WAS. I think to me that might have been the ULTIMATE sin! WHEW.

So, you see . . . I''m starting to feel a bit desperate. But getting a little humorous mileage out of my failure with jewelers lately!

On to the Asschers . . .

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pixy I''m sorry to interrupt your flow but can I just say you have a wonderful way of telling a story - I was right there with you.

I don''t think I was supposed to but you did make me chuckle in parts.

Sorry ........... do please tell more ..............

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 10:44:05 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Pixy I''m sorry to interrupt your flow but can I just say you have a wonderful way of telling a story - I was right there with you.

I don''t think I was supposed to but you did make me chuckle in parts.

Sorry ........... do please tell more ..............

Haha, thanks LD! At this point I am chuckling too.
2.gif
Just having a bit of trouble resizing the pics. Up in a second.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Both asschers were a present from my parents. Doug at Bespoke Gems is a great guy to work with, once again.

This is a 4.4ct Spess Garnet, Eye Clean, 8.5x8.5x6.5mm. Ruby Red but I''m having a devil of a time capturing what I see in real life.

FPP-BGSpess1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I tried taking pictures at two different times today, and as luck would have it, the decent color and action shots were the ones featuring fingerprint smudges. Isn''t that always the way!

FPP-BGSpess2.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I think here you might find this a bit dull and lifeless, but it''s a good approximation of the general coloring overall. When it catches light, especially at night of course, it is a little fireball!

FPP-BGSpess6.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I foolishly thought I knew what I was doing with that flashlight . . .

FPP-BGSpess8.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Only after the payment was sent, did I realize that I''d just ordered a red . . . and a green . . . gem as my Christmas presents. Unintentional holiday color coordination!

This is a 2.12ct Blue-Green Tourmaline, Eye Clean, 7x7x6mm. I briefly saw blue in Doug''s pics, but honestly it glows sheerly emerald green for me. So glassy.

FPP-BGTourm1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I just like this angle . . .

FPP-BGTourm3.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Last one. It''s waving bye-bye. Thanks for looking, everyone!

FPP-BGTourm4.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what an experience with that rude and uninformed sales lady.

Your stones are very pretty.
36.gif
I want a asscher gemstone.
3.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmph-crass is right! I''m going to interrupt your pic flow too, to say I hope you covered their tiny ears when she was saying such nasty things..cruise ship crap indeed. Well, we love them and think they''re pretty, so I hope they''re not too traumatized by her comments!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ugh.... I would NOT have been able to keep my mouth shut.
29.gif
Those stones are absolutely beautiful!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love them, very christmassy colors
2.gif
And I can totally picture the clerk
20.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been waiting to see these stones - so glad you posted them! I especially like the green tourmaline, and it seems to photograph very well. Quite a collection you''ve got going!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones of course are amazingly beautiful.

as to the jeweler, yeah she would have gotten ripped a new one. Hopefully you''ll find someone who not only can set stuff for you at a reasonable price but actually knows what the shapes are.
-A

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
It''s amazing the kind of "crap" you can get on a cruise ship......

Very beautiful stones. Keep looking. You will eventually find the right jeweler!
27.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Unbefreakinlievable, LOL! And I thought jewellers in my area are bad... Oh well, the important thing is that your new stones are absolutely gorgeous, with nice, rich colors and lot''s of life. Well done!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely gemmies, sorry you''re having such trouble with the jewelers though! Haha, that woman sounds like a piece of work indeed.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oooh that tourm is making my drooooool!! Doug is so great to work with isn''t he? Lovely gemmies, I hope you find someone deserving to set them!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
I clearly need to take more cruises if this is the "crap" you can bring home...
37.gif

One of the best lessons my parents taught me was to NEVER assume you know more than the person you are talking to - you NEVER know who you are talking to and it''s a quick and sure way to make an a** out of yourself!

Case in point.

Lovely stones - I am obsessed wtih asschers lately and just need make up my mind on color!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh Pixy, those are gorgeous!! Wow! Sorry about the stupid, uneducated jeweler.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stones! Did you get to see what kind of ''awesome stuff'' they were selling in comparison?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry but I can''t help but laugh at the jewelry store employee. It''s amazing that someone would act like that. Your stones are beautiful. Good luck your stones set.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
What an ignorant, unpleasant woman. I think you are rather kind in referring to her as tacky.

When a customer comes in, wanting to discuss a possible setting for something, immediately dismissing it as "cruise ship crap" is a sure way to insult said customer and ruin any possibility of a commission. Makes you wonder how many potential commissions this rude fishwife has sabotaged.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
“Cruise ship crap” is a sure fire way to get a customer out of the store forever.
38.gif
I’m sorry you had such a terrible experience. Not only that, you still haven’t found a reasonably priced jeweller to set your stones!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelers can be such pains. It''s always such a horrifying experience. Good for you getting out of there! The stones are wonderful. I am plain jealous of the green tourmaline, it is a gorgeous piece just perfect. Doug is so lovely to work with.

Good luck with finding a good jeweler. I hope you find someone who loves gems.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, Thank you ALL so much for your wonderful comments -- I went to bed after posting last night, woke up this morning, and found your great PS support!
30.gif
A good PS friend mentioned WF -- seeing if they would source a plain Stuller solitaire setting and set it for me . . . do you guys think I''d be out of line asking if they''d do it? I think of them more for custom work since I''ve seen everyone''s beautiful cads, and worry it might be too lowly for them . . .you think?

Packrat: I certainly did feel the need to protect them and cover their ears! It WAS rather motherly, how I madly cradled them and bundled them up to get them away from that woman!

Porridge: I can''t say enough nice things about Doug. Emailing him about getting myself in more trouble (aka: gems!) is more like sitting down with a friend for a great conversation over tea.

Kismet: Hmmmmm, I''ll be nice, their inventory is . . . a bit old-fashioned and unremarkable. I have no complaint with the owner/benchman, actually -- it''s just this banshee family member. I remember dealing with her before on a previous project (four years ago, though), and there were no banshee antics then. That''s a part of why it shocked me so much . . . I felt under attack and belittled by someone who, in matters of overall personal appearance and social behavior, is in no prime position to be belittling anyone! (Ok, that was rather snobbish, but . . . oh well.)

Kim Bruun: Oh, yes, "fishwife" IS a good term! That fit her to a T.

Chrono: You know, I try my hardest to keep that word out of my vocabulary, but I''m afraid "Cruise Ship Crap!" has become my first catchphrase of 2010 . . . LOL. I have just NEVER heard that come out of someone''s mouth when they''ve been in a customer service position!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results