shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

I have on hand a pink spinel with a GRS certificate with the following details:

Identification: Natural Pink Spinel
Weight: 9.78ct
Dimensions: 12.37 X 10.65 X 8.89 mm
Cut: brilliant/step (7)
Shape: Cushion
Color: Pink
Comment: No indication of treatments

It is a nice pink, I think it can be called hot pink. No windows, no extinction, very glowy. There''s no location stated on the GRS certificate and my jeweler says it is from Burma. As the location information is not on the certificate, I asked how he was certain that it is from Burma and according to him, this information was provided by the cutter.

Any ideas why GRS did not state the location on the certificate? My untreated ruby had the location (Burma) on the certificate. Any idea what kind of price I should expect for a spinel like this?

Thanks!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I can''t help you but to say it sounds lovely, and please post pictures! (where''s that gif when you need it?)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that GRS could not find characteristics that strongly point it to a Burmese origin during their review of the spinel. Pricing depends on the nuances of colour (tone, hue and saturation). Also, how clean is the stone and the evenness of colour?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Upgradable..

Chrono, it is eye clean and the colour is very even throughout the entire stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But how would you rate the colour of the stone?

Hue: Pure pink? Any hints of brown? Hints of blue? Hints of orange? If so, what is the degree of the undertone? Are your eyes trained enough to pick up these nuances of colour?
Tone: Light, medium light, medium, medium dark?
Saturation: medium, strong or vivid?
Are there any cutting issues like zoning, extinction, etc?

Because of the nuances of colour as described above, it is difficult to even give a ballpark value without knowing anything about its colour. An accurate picture might give us some idea.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, is there a website that explains GIA''s colored stone grading scale? I know there are letters and numbers involved, but looking at them means nothing to me.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 1:52:41 PM
Author: Chrono

Hue: Pure pink? Any hints of brown? Hints of blue? Hints of orange? If so, what is the degree of the undertone? Are your eyes trained enough to pick up these nuances of colour?

Because of the nuances of colour as described above, it is difficult to even give a ballpark value without knowing anything about its colour. An accurate picture might give us some idea.
Hello, my eyes pick up a pure pink, no orangey or brownish undertones. No purplish undertones too. Not a pinkish red or reddish pink either. I think the GRS certificate did not indicate the undertones as well. Hmm, let me go find a picture of the colour that is closest to what I see. There is no zoning nor extinction.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 1:55:53 PM
Author: Upgradable
Chrono, is there a website that explains GIA''s colored stone grading scale? I know there are letters and numbers involved, but looking at them means nothing to me.
http://www.multicolour.com/catalogue/source/clg.html
There are some colours here which might help somewhat. As you can see, pink is not in a colour category by itself because it is a desaturated red.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In looking at the second and third pictures, I’m seeing some pink, red and orange, yet you say yours is a pink stone. Also, AN’s stone is very well saturated, so I don’t know what “good enough” is. Do you see where I am going? Without details, it is very difficult to give a ball park value.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
Now we DEFINITELY need pictures!!! Over 9 carats??

And Chrono, thanks so much for the link to the color chart. That helps me make so much more sense of these color ratings!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm.. I guess I have just taken that stone and put it right next to the picture I see on my laptop screen and compared it and the colour is close. I can take pictures but I am unable to download it to my pc right now. I guess that''s not enough info. It looks similar in terms of the "crystal", not sure if you know what I mean - it is not a sleepy looking stone. It is not a pastel looking pink. Anyway, wouldn''t the GRS certificate indicating no undertones (it just says "pink" instead of "purplish pink" or "bluish pink" or "reddish pink" or "orangey pink", comments which I have seen before on other coloured stones certified by GRS) be sufficient to gauge?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS,
Here is an example cert from GRS: http://www.gemresearch.ch/report.htm
Here, it states that the saturation and hue is a vivid red. It also made a note of the quality (rare size and colour). Does yours not provide any such information? If you read through their website, it also explains how they grade the colour of the stone, which may provide you some of your answer as to the perceived value of the spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 1:58:33 PM
Author: simplysplendid

Date: 3/24/2010 1:52:41 PM
Author: Chrono

Hello, my eyes pick up a pure pink, no orangey or brownish undertones. No purplish undertones too. Not a pinkish red or reddish pink either. I think the GRS certificate did not indicate the undertones as well. Hmm, let me go find a picture of the colour that is closest to what I see. There is no zoning nor extinction.
Unfortunately, you really need someeone with a trained eye to be able to evaluate color properly, especially when trying to estimate a value on a stone. I"m not as familiar with GRS reports, but the AGL report has very comprehensive scientific information on the color of a gem, and that is something I would place a lot of trust in. As Chrono indicated, there are so many nuances with color, that just defining something as "pink" and not having anything else to gage it by, can be tricky and misleading. It can also cause you to perhaps overpay for a stone that might not be worth as much.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve missed you!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
9ct + of spinel goodness!
please do share some photos ! =)

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Chrono,

No no, the spinel I have is nothing close to a magnificent gemstone! It is a very pretty pink spinel in a large size but I doubt this size is really rare. Anyway, thanks for helping, I understand it is not much use without pics and will try to get one soon.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL. In the part of the world I live in, the jewelers hardly ever get an AGL cert. I guess they don''t want to ship it halfway round the world to get it certified.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Harriet! Thank you.. I have been incredibly, incredibly busy, both on the home front and at work, so much so that I skipped Pricescope and I have missed all of Barry''s new drops since January. I even skipped the purse forum! Fortunately or rather, unfortunately, my kids'' school is just literally about 200meters (or perhaps less!) away from my jeweler''s.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You can try getting the sense of what it might be worht by browsing websites of vendors and seeing what are (generally) the prices of similar stones - say, 8-10 ct range, similar clarity and with a description of color that sounds a lot like yours. Might give you some idea.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
we totally need pictures! it''s huge and I love pink spinel :)

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
where are the photooosssssss???????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results