shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink gem... let''s try again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 12:54:35 AM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
So now here is what I got from the thaigemstore. The stone is not the dimensions they said it was, and it is very purple! It isn''t bad looking, but it is nowhere near pink. I am keeping it because it isn''t worth the hassle to try and get $$$ back. Not a big loss at all. It is kind of cute, so who knows, maybe I will do something with it someday. I am not even going to bother getting it appraised like I did get my tourmaline appraised (from Precision Gem).

It''s kind of like my challenged little stone now! I will say that the facet pattern mildly resembles the photo. But I am not convinced what I was sent is what was in the photo, even with video and photo doctoring taken into account. The only positive was that they packed the stone up very well, no chance of damage.

So I wouldn''t bother with them, if you will be upset getting a purple stone! lol. But if you want to take a chance for fun, and it isn''t expensive, go for it.

ETA: The tourmaline I received from Precision Gem is amazing, I love it. Being set right now. And he was so reassuring with the return policy, saying if for whatever reason I don''t like it, he would 100% take it back in 30 days I think. Maybe 2 weeks, I can''t remember. Anyways the stone I received looks JUST like the photo and is the exact dimensions and weight he said it was. So I am a happy Precision Gem customer!

WOW! Way more purple!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tabulem,
Sometimes vendors and cutters have gemstones in their inventory that are not listed on their website. I would email them rather than just perusing their webpages.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/22/2009 9:05:30 AM
Author: Chrono

Date: 7/22/2009 8:44:19 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Chrono - I have been satisfied with all the stones I got from TheGemTrader (a few more than I care to admit, at the moment). I have found his pictures to be quite acurate and I don''t hesitate to buy or recommend him.
Lady D,
I have to agree with you with regards to Brad, but I think you''ve posted this in the wrong thread.
2.gif

ETA,
It appears we have crossed post. I should clarify that my comment on the colour and treatment is alluding to the 2 stones from Gem Select, not the Gem Trader. My apologies for not being clear, especially since my post appeared right under yours.
I am rather protective of my favourite vendors, aren''t I?
2.gif

By the way, I have bought a few stones from Thaigemstore, too. I usually take the pictures with a grain of salt (such as, I know the aqua won''t be that saturated IRL). One stone is very nice (included, but that was in the description), 2 were paler but nice. one was much darker than pictured. Not bad, overall, considering what I paid for them and what I intend to use them for but I wouldn''t turn to them for a special project, specially not an e-ring.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would contact some vendors too. I think what you want is common enough that someone should be able to find it. I found this concave cut spinel, but it is kind of pricy. I think Richard Homer just raised his prices.
23.gif

Some vendors people have had luck with are Wink Jones, Richard Wise, Jeff White (a cutter).

Anyways, here is the page stone number 6169. There are some sapphires, but they were way too pricy for me to recommend. I really have not found too much else in my browsing.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
LtlFirecracker, that''s a nice find. what would you normally expect to pay for a spinel of that size, carat weight, and color? i''m still relatively new to this and was curious...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 11:39:52 PM
Author: kas baby
LtlFirecracker, that''s a nice find. what would you normally expect to pay for a spinel of that size, carat weight, and color? i''m still relatively new to this and was curious...

You know, to be honest I am not totally certain. I have seen some nice pinks that are just above 1 ct for the $500 range, but those stones were not round. Mine was in the $300 range, but it is only .80 cts. I am sure Richard Homer can get higher prices for his cutting, and I know there is a discount for using Wink, but I know other people have said something about the price of his stones. Maybe I just spoke too soon without thinking through it though.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 12:31:15 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Date: 7/22/2009 11:39:52 PM
Author: kas baby

You know, to be honest I am not totally certain. I have seen some nice pinks that are just above 1 ct for the $500 range, but those stones were not round. Mine was in the $300 range, but it is only .80 cts. I am sure Richard Homer can get higher prices for his cutting, and I know there is a discount for using Wink, but I know other people have said something about the price of his stones. Maybe I just spoke too soon without thinking through it though.
well, thanks for the info. I was just curious because I''d like a cute little pink/lavendery pink spinel sometime in the future, maybe something in the 4.5 to 6mm range, maybe a round... maybe not... what shape is common for spinel?

sorry for the thread jack, but to actually add to the search, I thought some of his pink spinels were cute, I''m not sure about quality or price because I know zip about spinels, but I liked the colors... particularly this one

http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=66

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2009 7:45:37 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

I am rather protective of my favourite vendors, aren''t I?
2.gif

By the way, I have bought a few stones from Thaigemstore, too. I usually take the pictures with a grain of salt (such as, I know the aqua won''t be that saturated IRL). One stone is very nice (included, but that was in the description), 2 were paler but nice. one was much darker than pictured. Not bad, overall, considering what I paid for them and what I intend to use them for but I wouldn''t turn to them for a special project, specially not an e-ring.
No problem. I like Brad a lot too and his pictures are very accurate. No photoshopping or tampering. All treatments or lack of are disclosed upfront.

tabulem

Rough_Rock
The latest is I contacted some of the vendors mentioned here and I''ll see what they can come up with...

The Richard Homer spinel is beautiful but a bit pricey (though not unreasonable if it''s as exceptional in real life as it looks in the picture).

Kas baby, John B''s spinels look like a great deal. The color is a bit mauve for my liking, but if that''s what you''re looking for, I would snap it up. (John B. was very nice to deal with, even though I didn''t keep his pad sapphire.)

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 9:51:35 AM
Author: tabulem
The latest is I contacted some of the vendors mentioned here and I''ll see what they can come up with...

The Richard Homer spinel is beautiful but a bit pricey (though not unreasonable if it''s as exceptional in real life as it looks in the picture).

Kas baby, John B''s spinels look like a great deal. The color is a bit mauve for my liking, but if that''s what you''re looking for, I would snap it up. (John B. was very nice to deal with, even though I didn''t keep his pad sapphire.)
tabulem, its good to know first hand that John is good to work with, I''ll definately keep him in mind. I was really considering buying one, but I''ve got two other projects going on
9.gif

good luck with your search and keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results