shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink gem... let''s try again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tabulem

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a pink, round gemstone for an e-ring. I received a lovely pad sapphire from John at gemrite (discussed earlier on PS), but unfortunately the color wasn''t what I''m looking for. John has kindly agreed to take it back, it was a pleasure doing business with him, even though the stone isn''t right for me.

It''s hard to find a nice round pink stone that''s less than a carat! I''ve expanded my search beyond sapphires to spinels, but still not really found too much.

I''m wondering what you all think of this one:

ebay thaigemstore pink "ruby" (?)

Looks more like a sapphire than a ruby to me, but I don''t really care about that... what about the quality of the stone? There''s a video below too.

Thanks again for reading, and any thoughts.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 12:35:59 PM
Author:tabulem
I''m looking for a pink, round gemstone for an e-ring. I received a lovely pad sapphire from John at gemrite (discussed earlier on PS), but unfortunately the color wasn''t what I''m looking for. John has kindly agreed to take it back, it was a pleasure doing business with him, even though the stone isn''t right for me.

It''s hard to find a nice round pink stone that''s less than a carat! I''ve expanded my search beyond sapphires to spinels, but still not really found too much.

I''m wondering what you all think of this one:

ebay thaigemstore pink ''ruby'' (?)

Looks more like a sapphire than a ruby to me, but I don''t really care about that... what about the quality of the stone? There''s a video below too.

Thanks again for reading, and any thoughts.
That ebay store is on my list of "don''t buy from" stores. Their pictures and videos are enhanced.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mind if I ask why you sent back the gemrite one? Does it not look like the photo?

This one is sold, but Barry might have more of the material that he could cut you if you were interested
Malaya

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
What a bummer!! Sorry it didn''t work for you.
39.gif
I''d also like to know what you thought about that particular stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can count me in as another who would like to know whether it didn’t look like the picture or whether the colour isn’t pink enough or whatever else it might be. How about emailing Gary Dutton at www.diamondexpert.com to see what he has available? Rounds are not common in gemstones so it might take a little longer to find what you like.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
TL- I just bought a ruby from Thaigemstore! I read a couple of reviews on PS of people that had bought from them on the ''Ebay vendors you''ve been happy with'' thread (there was just one person that had bought and a couple more waiting for their stones), and I went ahead and bid. Do you think that they also lie about treatments?

I''ll post pictures as soon as it get it, but I just won the auction a couple days ago so it will probably be a while.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 3:08:50 PM
Author: szh07
TL- I just bought a ruby from Thaigemstore! I read a couple of reviews on PS of people that had bought from them on the ''Ebay vendors you''ve been happy with'' thread (there was just one person that had bought and a couple more waiting for their stones), and I went ahead and bid. Do you think that they also lie about treatments?

I''ll post pictures as soon as it get it, but I just won the auction a couple days ago so it will probably be a while.
Sounds like you haven’t received it. Are you planning to get it checked out to verify that it isn’t fracture filled or treated in any other way apart from what has been disclosed?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
definitely interested on your thoughts about the color, in different lighting condition?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 3:11:40 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 7/21/2009 3:08:50 PM

Sounds like you haven’t received it. Are you planning to get it checked out to verify that it isn’t fracture filled or treated in any other way apart from what has been disclosed?

Nope, haven''t received it. They''ve been pretty good about answering questions, but they haven''t told me that its been shipped yet, so I wrote them a couple minutes ago to ask if it has been shipped.

They''ve advertised it as unheated and untreated, and I asked specifically if it had been fracture filled and they said no. The ruby I bought is really tiny, I basically bought it to use as a tester to see if their gems are like their pictures, etc. Is there any way to get a ruby checked out besides getting it certified?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 3:21:36 PM

Nope, haven''t received it. They''ve been pretty good about answering questions, but they haven''t told me that its been shipped yet, so I wrote them a couple minutes ago to ask if it has been shipped.

They''ve advertised it as unheated and untreated, and I asked specifically if it had been fracture filled and they said no. The ruby I bought is really tiny, I basically bought it to use as a tester to see if their gems are like their pictures, etc. Is there any way to get a ruby checked out besides getting it certified?
Either go for the AGL brief ($25) or have an appraiser look at it.

tabulem

Rough_Rock
MakingTheGrade, thanks for your suggestions, I do really like the malaya garnet at acstones, and I will definitely contact him to see if he could cut anything like it.

Regarding the pad sapphire from gemrite, it is a beautifully cut stone, it is just not as pink as what I am looking for. The picture on the website is accurate, though does not do justice to how pretty it is.

Tourmaline_lover, you mentioned being reasonably happy with a stone from thaigemstore in the other thread about ebay sellers. What happened, did you buy something else that turned out to be a dud?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Have you looking into the Natural Sapphire Company?

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 4:14:24 PM
Author: tabulem
MakingTheGrade, thanks for your suggestions, I do really like the malaya garnet at acstones, and I will definitely contact him to see if he could cut anything like it.

Barry is, if not the nicest, one of the nicest gem vendors to deal with. Just tell him your story and what you''re looking for and be sure you know what kind of shade of pink you''re after. If there''s something that matches ask him for both indoor and outdoor pics as they''re usually pretty accurate.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Are you looking for a bright pink or a pastel pink? Or is either OK?

Sorry the pad didn''t work out for you :(

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 4:14:24 PM

Regarding the pad sapphire from gemrite, it is a beautifully cut stone, it is just not as pink as what I am looking for. The picture on the website is accurate, though does not do justice to how pretty it is.

Tourmaline_lover, you mentioned being reasonably happy with a stone from thaigemstore in the other thread about ebay sellers. What happened, did you buy something else that turned out to be a dud?
Not just me, but another PS''er as well (I''m waiting for her to chime in on this thread if she sees it). We both thought we were getting vibrant color gems, and the videos we THOUGHT reflected that, but the actual gems were very lackluster next to the videos. For a long time, I didn''t think videos were enhanced, but it appears they''re also enhancing them as well as still photographs these days. Photoshopping on ebay is nothing new, but video enhancing is something to be leary of as well.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 3:58:04 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 7/21/2009 3:21:36 PM

Either go for the AGL brief ($25) or have an appraiser look at it.

Ah thanks Chrono! $25 is really reasonable!

tabulem

Rough_Rock
Okay, I wrote to some of the vendors you guys recommended to see if they have anything or can cut anything.

But if not... am I crazy for considering stones like these:

0.55 ct rose pink gemselect

0.63 ct purple pink gemselect

I read some bad things about gemselect on here. But these stones look really nice, no? I planned to pay a lot more than this... these are ridiculously cheap. But if I saw this same stone on NSC, I would gladly shell out $400 for it. Is there something bad about these stones that I''m missing?

Thanks...

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 8:56:35 PM
Okay, I wrote to some of the vendors you guys recommended to see if they have anything or can cut anything.

I read some bad things about gemselect on here. But these stones look really nice, no? I planned to pay a lot more than this... these are ridiculously cheap. But if I saw this same stone on NSC, I would gladly shell out $400 for it. Is there something bad about these stones that I'm missing?

Thanks...

The prices do seem too good to be true. They are also cut on the shallow side (the depth percentage on the first one is abut 57%), so I would be concerned about a window. I would check out the return policy if you have any one of those stones sent in.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 8:56:35 PM

I read some bad things about gemselect on here. But these stones look really nice, no? I planned to pay a lot more than this... these are ridiculously cheap. But if I saw this same stone on NSC, I would gladly shell out $400 for it. Is there something bad about these stones that I''m missing?

Thanks...
They photoshop their stones from what I hear. These could also be beryllium heated, so you should be aware of it. For that price, I highly suspect they are.

NSC is retail pricing, and you pay more because of it, but at least you know you''re getting a natural and untreated stone. No deals to be had on NSC though.

Did you look at simplysapphires.com? They might have some gently heated pink sapphires.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen a couple pink sapphires on Precisiongem...have you checked them out?

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
tabulem,

I recently was in the market for a pink stone, and won an auction for a 2.18 ct. pink spinel from the thaigemstore before I did research for reputable sellers. But it was $33.00 so it was kind of an experiment... I didn't really care if it was fake, ugly, or even looked like the picture, since it wasn't a big investment. I was just hoping I would get lucky!

I am attaching the picture they posted with the auction. As you can tell it is a pink stone in the picture, which is why I bought it.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So now here is what I got from the thaigemstore. The stone is not the dimensions they said it was, and it is very purple! It isn't bad looking, but it is nowhere near pink. I am keeping it because it isn't worth the hassle to try and get $$$ back. Not a big loss at all. It is kind of cute, so who knows, maybe I will do something with it someday. I am not even going to bother getting it appraised like I did get my tourmaline appraised (from Precision Gem).

It's kind of like my challenged little stone now! I will say that the facet pattern mildly resembles the photo. But I am not convinced what I was sent is what was in the photo, even with video and photo doctoring taken into account. The only positive was that they packed the stone up very well, no chance of damage.

So I wouldn't bother with them, if you will be upset getting a purple stone! lol. But if you want to take a chance for fun, and it isn't expensive, go for it.

ETA: The tourmaline I received from Precision Gem is amazing, I love it. Being set right now. And he was so reassuring with the return policy, saying if for whatever reason I don't like it, he would 100% take it back in 30 days I think. Maybe 2 weeks, I can't remember. Anyways the stone I received looks JUST like the photo and is the exact dimensions and weight he said it was. So I am a happy Precision Gem customer!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Sorry the gorgeous pad didn''t work out for you. Hope you find what you''re looking for soon.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Gem Trader has my favourite pink sapphire (not a round, though)

TGTPinkSapphire.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour looks unbelievably saturated; I would suspect either picture tampering or undisclosed treatment. Both stones have slightly off centered culet but since they are small, it might not be noticeable. Ditto for the windowing too. The larger stone also seems to have a wavy uneven outline.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono - I have been satisfied with all the stones I got from TheGemTrader (a few more than I care to admit, at the moment). I have found his pictures to be quite acurate and I don''t hesitate to buy or recommend him.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2009 8:44:19 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Chrono - I have been satisfied with all the stones I got from TheGemTrader (a few more than I care to admit, at the moment). I have found his pictures to be quite acurate and I don't hesitate to buy or recommend him.
Lady D,
I have to agree with you with regards to Brad, but I think you've posted this in the wrong thread.
2.gif

ETA,
It appears we have crossed post. I should clarify that my comment on the colour and treatment is alluding to the 2 stones from Gem Select, not the Gem Trader. My apologies for not being clear, especially since my post appeared right under yours.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2009 7:52:43 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
The Gem Trader has my favourite pink sapphire (not a round, though)
That is gorgeous!! I love that stone, too bad it''s so tiny. I want one the size of the picture!! LOL!!

tabulem

Rough_Rock
Lamborghinigirl, your pictures tell me everything I need to know about thaigemstore! That stone is a completely different color, if not, as you suggest, actually a different stone. Crazy!

I checked out all the places mentioned... precisiongem, simply sapphires, NSC, but still haven''t found quite the right stone. This one from NSC is close:

NSC pink

But it''s a bit pricey for what it is... and it just doesn''t grab me, for some reason. Personally, I''d rather not pay a huge premium for a stone being unheated, since that is a standard treatment. BE on the other hand, I don''t want. So I guess I''ll avoid the gemselect ones because, as tourmaline_lover suggests, at that price there may well be undisclosed treatments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results