shape
carat
color
clarity

Pictures of my new stone and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

I made my first colored gemstone purchase recently. A 1.32 rhodolite garnet from John at GemRite. It arrived and I am finally getting the hang of taking pictures. Let''s see how I do with uploading them.

First is John''s picture. It really catches the rasberry color that I love so much!

rhodoval132-1.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Now some of my pictures...which don''t do the stone justice imho.

IMG_2433-e.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
another

IMG_2440-f.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
another

IMG_2442-g.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
in the box but still pretty
1.gif

IMG_2447-d.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
m

IMG_2530-a.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
hand shot sitting next to my wedding band

IMG_2553-b.jpg

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Last one!
1.gif

Ok, now I''m looking advice on how to set it. I want to do a ring and I prefer white gold. Any suggestions on the kind of setting that will maximize this stone? I love the pinks/reds and blue color flashes this gets in different light. Should I go with a real simple band with maybe some pave'' on the band or should I get some kind of halo? Bezel set? Would love to hear from the PS gang.

Thanks for looking and for any suggestions!

IMG_2561-c.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your stone! that is such a pretty color. I would to see you set it E/W semi bezel
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
but I''m partial to semi bezel anything
18.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 10:03:02 PM
Author: D&T
I love your stone! that is such a pretty color. I would to see you set it E/W semi bezel
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
18.gif
D&T and I apparently have the same taste for settings! Lovely stone!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 10:12:40 PM
Author: brandy_z28
Date: 10/20/2009 10:03:02 PM

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
18.gif

D&T and I apparently have the same taste for settings! Lovely stone!

About to say the exact same thing! I think that would be lovely. I could also see some vintagey detailing on it, maybe etching, since something about that color says delicate to me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone and great color. I think it would be lovely in a pave set band. Of course it will be LOVELY in anything.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Well, you certainly have plenty of lovely options for setting that beauty. Probably the limiting factor is budget; we could probably help more with setting ideas if you have a ballpark figure for the setting.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It''s a lovely stone!

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions everyone!!

I had not thought about the E-W setting in a semi-bezel but I like that it would be unique. That''s a great idea. I do love pave as well and like the idea of a nice pave band. Something vintage looking would also work well for that stone. So many great ideas...I want to try them all!
9.gif

Icekid, I am budgeting $250-$300 for the setting. Does that seem realistic?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
How about some details on the sides of it, that have diamonds, like three little rounds on each side forming a triangle. Could be interesting, great for your stone in terms of size and proportions, as well as not too expensive. When it comes to orientation I agree that east/west would probably be better than N/S.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Any suggestions on where I can find ring settings for an E/W positioned oval? Thanks everyone!
35.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 8:58:19 AM
Author: shoechick
Any suggestions on where I can find ring settings for an E/W positioned oval? Thanks everyone!
35.gif
Take a look at oval ring settings at Stuller. www.stuller.com Your local jeweler can order the setting and set the stone for you.

This sleek setting comes in white gold and would fit your stone. Link

StullerRing71051_y_.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael E made this setting, and the quote in 14k white gold is actually below budget
2.gif
I'm considering this setting for myself, but I don't mind sharing (and hope Michael doesn't mind either).

Profile:

SideShowtourm.jpg

BarionBlueMiE.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just thought of another setting that I think will fit your budget... Sally''s lotus and your coloring kind of reminds me of kas baby''s star sapphire
30.gif

Karaslotusruby3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only pave anything I can think of within your budget is LOGR.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking something along THESE lines, but probably with 3 small brilliants clustered in a triangle on each side, due to budget restrictions.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not good at milimeter to carat approximations, but would something like =tags&includes[]=title:2o8h065d]this fit your stone, in white gold? I like the gallery of it. I know he does custom work, too, and so if you''re looking for a thinner band, maybe he would shave it down for you.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
OMG, everyone thank you so much for the links and the ideas!! I knew you wouldn''t steer me wrong. It''s going to be tough to decide but not a problem I mind having!
9.gif

I can''t wait to share with everyone what I end up going with.

Thanks!!
35.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great ideas posted so far! Is this for your ering or RHR?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the lotus set E/W, or a Harry Winston-style tapered baguette setting with the stone set N/S. I think the simpler the better, not a big fan of halos or really intricate pave settings for this stone.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
Hi Packrat,

This is for a rhr. It''s my first loose stone purchase. It''s been so much fun looking at different stones and now settings. All these ideas are great, I''m loving it. Now I see how this becomes so addictive!

Thanks,
Shoechick

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 12:59:55 AM
here are just a few ideas, some are for rounds, but I can definitely see potential to having an oval stone in them.

ETA: and check out this link as well for more ideas https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezel-set-oval-anyone.28083/

That''s a really lovely stone! I especially like the setting on the top left - the Adwar twisted rope, E/W bezel. Feminine, pretty but a little different!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a very nice looking stone. I do like all of the suggestions for settings that you''ve gotten so far. I would try it in the E/W with pave, maybe just three on each side of the stone and claw prongs. Try looking at vintage sites for that style of setting.

I just wanted to offer you a different setting option, since spending other people''s money is fun!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results