shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking a gem size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, the lovely and thoughtful D&T sent me 3 of her gemmies to play with and help me to have a better idea of what different sizes would look on my hand. She also kindly sent a ring picker upper thing, which was smart cuz otherwise I''d be having problems trying to balance them on my finger!

Figures, the one day a week I work, was today, so I was sooo excited to come home!

I had a heck of a time getting the pictures loaded onto the computer-dad was over last week messing with the printer dock and I couldn''t find the pictures when I went into Gimp to resize them. Anyway, I finally have some after much swearing and sighing.

Here I go w/pictures!

1st is the 6mm citrine

100_11901.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
outside

100_12041.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
7mm tourmaline

100_11961.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
outside. my arm looks quite wooly in these pictures...I''m really not that hairy I swear.

100_12001.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
8mm peridot

100_12131.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
outside

100_12171.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
outside again

100_12201.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
and because I''m a total dork, this is my pretend stone. It''s a 7mm wisteria crayola w/1mm silver bezel surrounding. bwaahaha

100_12231.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehehe

100_12361.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Of course, size is personal preference, but proportion I think the 7 mm stone looks best on your hand. Just my opinion though.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat! they look great, I''m drawn to the 7mm but I do like the 8mm too
31.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 11:10:43 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Of course, size is personal preference, but proportion I think the 7 mm stone looks best on your hand. Just my opinion though.

Ditto! I thought the same

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whew! Thanks guys! The 7mm is what I was drawn to as well! If I was going to do a prong setting, I think I could do the 8mm, but with a bezel, I think it would just be too big.

I know it looks gomerish, but my paper stone bezel creation, do you think that would look about right? I want it to have presence but I don''t want it to look costumy or anything.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for 7

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also vote for the 7mm. it looks right on your hand. And the crayone thingie...erm..... cute!
emthup.gif
Definitly the thing you need for those more formal occassions
emotion-5.gif

-A

mochi

Ideal_Rock
7mm than the 8mm... The crayola stone is very lovely!
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 7 mm looks fitting for an everyday wear style. The 8 mm is more of a special wear day size.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2009 12:07:15 AM
Author: packrat
Whew! Thanks guys! The 7mm is what I was drawn to as well! If I was going to do a prong setting, I think I could do the 8mm, but with a bezel, I think it would just be too big.

I know it looks gomerish, but my paper stone bezel creation, do you think that would look about right? I want it to have presence but I don't want it to look costumy or anything.
Hey Packrat- Just an idea, get some tin foil and wrap up the 7mm like a bezel would kind of look like and then put it in the ring holder. see how that looks if it might give you an idea on a bezel proportion
1.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Packrat~ I''m so happy to hear about your new project. You know that I love projects!! I cast my vote for the 7mm. If you''re giving it a bezel you have enough size in the stone to make the color pop, while still having quite a presence from the ring. Good luck and KEEP US IN THE LOUPE!!!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for 7mm. What is your ring size?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 12:24:06 PM
Author: stepcutgirl
Another vote for 7mm. What is your ring size?

I''m a 4.5 right now.

Thanks everyone for weighing in on the size! Sheila from Wink''s emailed me Monday and said she forwarded my request to him, so I should find out something there soon. Plus there''s I think 4 other places in my other thread I can check too!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say that it was so thoughtful of D&T to send you those stones and the holder!! What a nice person she is!!
9.gif

I actually look at color when I gage a gem, so the peridot does it for me against your skin tone. Otherwise, for me, no gem is too large - LOL!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 3:18:39 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I just wanted to say that it was so thoughtful of D&T to send you those stones and the holder!! What a nice person she is!!
9.gif

I actually look at color when I gage a gem, so the peridot does it for me against your skin tone. Otherwise, for me, no gem is too large - LOL!!

Yes, it''s been a tremendous help for me, having these to play with, and I SO appreciate it!

I heard back from Lisa, and she said it turned out way more purple than lavender, so that sucketh, but I do still have a few more places I can check, so all is not lost..yet! Tho, I do find I catch myself thinking I should change my mind to a color a little more easy to find!

And I want to say too, that Lisa was so kind and quick to email me back and answer my questions, I would highly recommend her to anyone!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2009 3:18:39 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
9.gif

awww anytime ladies...
emembarrassed.gif
anything I could to help make it a little easier for a fellow PSers
9.gif
. NOw packrat, I''m sooo awaiting anxiously on what you get... oooh its sooo going to be stunning..

were you going to go with a James Meyer setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What colour are you thinking of?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
There actually was a Caleb Meyer setting I was dying to have, but they''ve told me a couple times they only work w/their own stones, and once I have mine (fingers crossed for soon-ness) I don''t think I have the heart to ask them again.

So yes, I''ve talked w/Jim a few times, and he''s sent me some pictures of Coati''s setting, but with a cushion stone like AJ''s, and a couple like Butterbean''s. Between the pictures of Coati''s and AJ''s from here that I''ve saved, and the ones he sent, I had to start a separate JM/CM folder!

I''m so excited to buy my very first stone and start a thread and say I did it! This is mine!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 4:14:55 PM
Author: Chrono
What colour are you thinking of?

Lavender! A blue lavender rather than pink.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the 7mm.

D&T, how sweet of you! I had never seen a gem holder before either. Very neat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results