shape
carat
color
clarity

Personal opinions of M color diamonds - Help my purchase

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a J and personally like the warmer colors!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I have an L coloured OEC and I love the warmth, but it's not for everyone. In some lights, my stone looks a little grey (not unpleasant to me but it's a look that not everyone likes). From the side it has a slight yellow cast.

The other thing to think about is the style of the setting - I found when I enclosed the stone, the colour intensified. So a bezel may not be the best idea if you are unsure of the colour. Worth considering.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Are you in Great Britain? (sorry if you already said, I am trying to fire off a note before I go in to work)

I am only asking because the outside light there is often "flat", right?
Cloudy, like Seattle, where I'm from?

If thats the case, the tint would probably show more.
In that kind of light.
Not that that's a bad thing, it's all relative.....

I have an N OEC and a couple of lower colored earrings, too, and I think they are absolutely beautiful

that being said, I would prob go for color over size IF i HAD THE CHANCE ....
i ADORE my higher color OEC......ADORE !!!!
but it's not huge... but that's ok :love:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I would say go for it if you have seen warmer colors in person and enjoyed them...
I have oec studs and love their size and faceting and they were appraised at L/M but face up beautifully...in White gold settings. when they were in yellow gold, totally diff look.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a U-V colored OEC and love the warmth. It sometimes faces up rather white and sometimes creamy vintage lace, depending on the light. Personally I have a huge preference for warm stones, but it's not for everyone. It would be best if you could see some examples with your own eyes at a local antique jeweller if you have one in your neighbourhood.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to type up a formal thread for people who've made the switch and/or have comparison pictures of both to give people a IRL visual of lower colours for a tutorial (with posts from everyone) to help posters like yourself (and myself not long ago) with this decision.

I just finished selling my 1.64 H VVS MRB to GOG for a recut and bought a 1.64 N SI and put it in my existing setting. I had seen lower colored diamonds before and the warmth didn't bother me but it had mostly been in store lighting.

I love my AVR but wouldn't recommend the switch from an H to an N for everyone. Sometimes its white (mostly in store lighting) but most of the time I can see color to it-and other times it's yellow. I have (had?) the same concerns that you do about going from an H to an N (wondering if people would notice) but so far none have. I much prefer the faceting patterns of the AVR (actually in general a well cut OEC but I do like the high crown on the AVR compared to the OEC's that are flat in my twin bypass ring).

I need to upload the pictures from my phone in my next comment showing my 2 .5 and under OEC's that are J/I colors next to my N and I'll show before/after pictures from my H set in my setting to my N in the same setting. I will say that for me-my stone is still too big (I have size 4 fingers) and I do plan on going and trying on a ton of different style of rings-in all colors and shapes and sizes to find whats perfect for my finger. I bought my ring bc it was big and beautiful and a great deal but I found that something I saw in pictures and even think is beautiful IRL on my hand isn't really as much "me" as I had once thought. Jewelery is like that sometimes-you can appreciate it but doesn't mean it's the right one for you.

I'll also link the youtube video jon did for me of the N that shows it in natural daylight.

10014718_10204415481001612_3080242140289249529_0.jpg

dsc01156.jpg

10830673_10204415482881659_7883769175009731205_0.jpg

1618365_10204415479761581_6526904550485125416_o.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few poor comparison pictures

_25947.jpg

_25948.jpg

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thank you all so much for your input, it has been very helpful. I took the advice and went to a jewellery store which has antique stones and settings. Although I didn't find many warm coloured stones, I did get to try on exactly the style setting I was after and surprisingly I MUCH preferred the look with a smaller centre stone! And I loved the colours I tried on, I/J/K. I was also surprised with how the round stone/halo combination wasn't very flattering on my hand, so the jeweller brought out a cushion and it was love! :love:

So this little beauty will soon be mine! I am so excited. http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-89ct-j-vs2-august-vintage-cushion-diamond.html

The setting I tried on was exactly like this one except smaller, and I'm hoping to have it replicated. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-things-come-to-those-who-wait-2-60-antique-cushion.193146/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-things-come-to-those-who-wait-2-60-antique-cushion.193146/[/URL] I've read up a bit about David Klass and I think he sounds like my best option skill and budget wise, so I think I'll go with him!

I will keep you all updated and perhaps ask for some help with the CADS once they get started. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results