shape
carat
color
clarity

**Paging Sna77**

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there! First off, congrats on your wedding and beautiful honeymoon! Everything looked wonderful and your **wife** is beautiful!

Anyway, I paged you over here because I have a few questions for you...about your watch.
I am a LIW and am not sure exactly when we''ll be getting engaged (we both want it to be a complete surprise) but most likely within 1 or 1 1/2 years. I have decided that I want to buy my FF an "engagement Rolex." My idea is to just buy it soon, keep it around (hopefully somewhere he won''t find it, maybe I''ll get a hidden closet safe, hehe) and give it to him right after he proposes. Now, I know nothing about Rolex watches, or really, watches in general for that matter. So, what is the model you got? Can I see more pictures of it? Close ups, etc? I don''t want to spend more than $4000-$5000. Am I crazy or is that a workable budget for a Rolex? See, I have no clue!!!!

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
**Bump** for Sna or anyone else who knows about Rolex watches!!! Thanks!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are many watch experts on here. I would do a thread in "Jewelry". Good luck.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 3:39:28 PM
Author:hisdiamondgirl
Hey there! First off, congrats on your wedding and beautiful honeymoon! Everything looked wonderful and your **wife** is beautiful!

Anyway, I paged you over here because I have a few questions for you...about your watch.
I am a LIW and am not sure exactly when we''ll be getting engaged (we both want it to be a complete surprise) but most likely within 1 or 1 1/2 years. I have decided that I want to buy my FF an ''engagement Rolex.'' My idea is to just buy it soon, keep it around (hopefully somewhere he won''t find it, maybe I''ll get a hidden closet safe, hehe) and give it to him right after he proposes. Now, I know nothing about Rolex watches, or really, watches in general for that matter. So, what is the model you got? Can I see more pictures of it? Close ups, etc? I don''t want to spend more than $4000-$5000. Am I crazy or is that a workable budget for a Rolex? See, I have no clue!!!!

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello, I would be happy to help out... ;-)

I do know a fiar bit about Rolexes, so feel free to fire away with any questions... the first thing to consider is what type of watch would your bf wear? A sport watch? A dressy watch? Maybe something in between? Is he a diver, etc?

I have a Submariner. The Sub is probably the most famous sports watch in the world. James Bond wore it in his movies in the 60''s and it sort of turned into an icon. The current list price on a Submariner is $5850, and it can be had from a respected dealer for about $5500.

A good site to compare most of the watches Rolex sells, is Alan Furman http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/rolex1.html

Let me dig up some pics of mine...

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
here is a picture of my watch... btw, I am a meber on The Rolex Forums http://www.rolexforums.com/ which is a great site for Rolex info as well!

I''ll post pics of some of the more popular models

sna-watch-rolex2.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Mine again... Submariner with date... this is a diver''s watch btw

af-subwdate.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
First, a bunch of the sport models...

A 50th avviversay Submariner (with date) green bezel... Oh, if you get a Sub, make sure to get one with the date (its about $1k extra)

af50thsubdate.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
An Explorer II

af-explorer2-.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
One of the hardest to find Rolex sport watches -- the Daytona

af-daytonaro116520blk.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
A more formal watch--in 2 tone, the Men''s DateJust

48924two-tone-datejust-af.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
A Milgaus - I'm not sure if its a sport or dress watch, but its beautiful in person (also comes with a Black face)... Really hard to find and about $6500...

it is able to stand magnetic forces of 1000 gauss- hence the name milgauss- which is french for thousand guass. mil is french for thousand and gauss just means unit of magnetic density or to be exact -The centimeter-gram-second unit of magnetic flux density, equal to one maxwell per square centimeter.

1309342779.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
something like this would be less than $5k... An all stainless Datejust... This bracelet is known as the "jubilee" also. You can also get the less expensive "oyster" bracelet

But really, the first thing to do is narrow it down to what type of watch you think he'd want--is he into sports? Would he wear it all day everyday, does he just want it for dressy occasions, etc?

Personally, I went with a Submariner because its dressy enough to wear with a tux, yet sporty enough to wear to the gym etc...

ro116200wrj.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
an example of the "Oyster" bracelet

afffro116200sio.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Both Milgauss'' next to each other -- pronounced Mil (like milk) gaus (like house)

wsa1lk.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock

Not sure if you are still looking for help, but I recently bought a Rolex for my FI for his wedding gift - so good idea!!

It was always part of the deal - ring for me, rolex for him so I had to make good since he did so well with me!

I got him a Datejust in steel with a silver face and diamond markers (the male version of what Sna77 got his wife). I have a few pics but will have to post later tonight if you would like.

With the diamond dial, it was more than your budget, however if you went with a plain face I think it would be in your budget and makes for a classy first rolex (if I do say so myself :)

Let me know if you want the pics.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
One thing to think about--if your guy is at all picky (mine is) it''s a REALLY good idea to go with him to try on some watches in person to see what looks good on his wrist and what he likes. I did that with my guy and he picked out something that I would never have picked for him, but it works perfectly for his wrist size, etc.

Also, there are some other great luxury watch brands out there in addition to Rolex. It may be worth considering a couple of those. Have you spoken to FFI about what style watches he likes? For example, if I hadn''t asked my guy about it, I would have assumed he''d want a steel bracelet, but it turns out he likes leather straps. Definitely something to keep in mind.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 5:29:45 PM
Author: ladypirate
One thing to think about--if your guy is at all picky (mine is) it''s a REALLY good idea to go with him to try on some watches in person to see what looks good on his wrist and what he likes. I did that with my guy and he picked out something that I would never have picked for him, but it works perfectly for his wrist size, etc.

Also, there are some other great luxury watch brands out there in addition to Rolex. It may be worth considering a couple of those. Have you spoken to FFI about what style watches he likes? For example, if I hadn''t asked my guy about it, I would have assumed he''d want a steel bracelet, but it turns out he likes leather straps. Definitely something to keep in mind.
I totally agree! My FI told me EXACTLY what he wanted so there was no guessing. Way too expensive to take a guess I''d say!

Here are a few pics of his watch.

Bridal Shower #1 128.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Try that again!

Jays Rolex So Nice.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Last one - oh and to hisdiamondgirl - why don''t you get the rolex and save it for a wedding gift?! Just an idea ;-)

Jays Rolex with My Ring We are Both Lucky2.jpg

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Dang, I want one of those watches that have the "lightening bolt" looking second hand. It could be a San Diego Chargers watch11
2.gif
36.gif

Do those come in woman''s Rolex?
31.gif

Nah, I just lose watches. I never wear them, but I wouldn''t turn down a Movado if I received it as a gift.
41.gif

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 3:48:58 PM
Author: sna77
A Milgaus - I''m not sure if its a sport or dress watch, but its beautiful in person (also comes with a Black face)... Really hard to find and about $6500...

it is able to stand magnetic forces of 1000 gauss- hence the name milgauss- which is french for thousand guass. mil is french for thousand and gauss just means unit of magnetic density or to be exact -The centimeter-gram-second unit of magnetic flux density, equal to one maxwell per square centimeter.
I hope this doesn''t make me look TOO stupid.... but why would this function be a good thing? Are we subjected to magnetic forces that do stuff to our watches?

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 5:32:32 PM
Author: LuckyTexan

Date: 8/25/2008 3:48:58 PM
A Milgaus - I''m not sure if its a sport or dress watch, but its beautiful in person (also comes with a Black face)... Really hard to find and about $6500...

I hope this doesn''t make me look TOO stupid.... but why would this function be a good thing? Are we subjected to magnetic forces that do stuff to our watches?

It was designed for people that work in radioactive areas--like a nuclear power plant etc. The watch is very utilitarian by design--As are most of the watches they make. A submariner is a diver''s watch.... And they make a solid gold one... Who would go diving with a $30k gold watch is beyond me--but the watch can do it... Heck the British navy used to get Subs in the 70''s--with NATO straps (I just ordered one for my watch as a change of pace)...

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 10:02:51 PM
Author: October2008bride
Last one - oh and to hisdiamondgirl - why don''t you get the rolex and save it for a wedding gift?! Just an idea ;-)

Is that a mid-size or full? Its a cool watch, I couldn''t pull of diamonds though... too much bling for me. haha.. My style is much more understated...
9.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
a NATO strap for a Submariner... How to dress down a $6k watch...
emwink.gif

DSC06480.jpg

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
I love this... and ad from 1965 selling the Submariner

1965_Submariner.jpg

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 8:15:14 PM

Date: 9/8/2008 10:02:51 PM

Is that a mid-size or full? Its a cool watch, I couldn''t pull of diamonds though... too much bling for me. haha.. My style is much more understated...
9.gif
How do I know if it is a mid-sized or full? It is model 116234 that is what I know :)

Hey - my bank account wishes FI couldn''t pull off diamonds too! haha

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...thanks guys for all the information!!! I''m sorry I didn''t respond sooner but I have been having trouble logging in and posting (mac)!

Wow so where do I start...let''s see...so many choices! I have to run out pretty quickly so I will try to post again later tonight. But I guess the first thing is that my BF is a pretty casual guy so I am looking for something dressy enough for when he dresses up but casual enough for dressed up jeans, KWIM?!? I guess I could go a little over budget so maybe $6000 could be the limit.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and I will post more later tonight!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 6:52:16 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl
Wow...thanks guys for all the information!!! I''m sorry I didn''t respond sooner but I have been having trouble logging in and posting (mac)!

Wow so where do I start...let''s see...so many choices! I have to run out pretty quickly so I will try to post again later tonight. But I guess the first thing is that my BF is a pretty casual guy so I am looking for something dressy enough for when he dresses up but casual enough for dressed up jeans, KWIM?!? I guess I could go a little over budget so maybe $6000 could be the limit.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and I will post more later tonight!

Sold then. Get him a Submariner w/date. No question. The quintessential Rolex

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2008 4:49:37 PM
How do I know if it is a mid-sized or full? It is model 116234 that is what I know :)

Hey - my bank account wishes FI couldn''t pull off diamonds too! haha

Thats full size... good job... you need really small wrists for a midsize.
emwink.gif

116234:
http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/ro116234fsddj.htm

btw, Do not lose the warranty card or boxes etc. Put them in a safety deposit box... the watch''s value drops signifigantly w/o them...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results