shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha Sapphires-- Where To Find?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
^^ LOL
9.gif
^^

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THAT is one gorgeous padparascha (from HW). Between the crazy changing definitions of what a padparascha sapphire is and is not, and the difficulty of finding a decent one is enough to put me off buying one personally.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one HW padparadscha has more brown in it than the previous one listed. I wanted to show it off to compare since it's not as fine in color as the other one. Slightly OT, but is it just me, or are those baguettes in the ring included?
emsmileo.gif

HWbrownishpad.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s tough to tell from the pics, but step cuts can show that "crushed ice" effect when viewed from certain angles, so that might be the case here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma Re,
I don’t think that is the crushed ice effect of baguettes because those are usually only seen at the corners due to the cutting style. I think those are dirt/dust that became visible once the picture is magnified.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try: http://www.mc2jewels.com/email.php?item=_11_first.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2010 6:32:33 PM
Author: Jsmith8

Date: 2/27/2010 5:50:29 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

JSmith8 - you can find BE diffused sapphires everywhere. Jewellery shopping channels sell them (although won't necessarily say they are diffused), Ebay is littered with them and occasionally you'll find websites where they sell sapphires and the treatment is clearly stated. It's very difficult to be precise about price because we don't know what size, shape, whether you want loose/set in jewellery etc and even if we did, the price range is extremely wide. For some gems you can have a guess at $ per carat but BE diffused sapphires sell for peanuts and also for $$$$$s depending on the vendor! Just bear in mind, if it's not stated and the colour is vivid the chances are it's diffused.
So for example- this ebay search brought up 'Pad' Sapphires in the $8 - $30 range so I definitely believe they are diffused (I still think the color is beautiful though as much as a n00b I am).

Is paying approximately $10 for this type of stone considered a dumb move?
Are they still stable and as hard as a sapphire?

I don't really care about the fact if it's natural or not as this wouldn't be a fancy or luxury ring. I just am in love with the pinky peach color and cannot see myself spending the amount of money to get a natural one at the moment.

http://jewelry.shop.ebay.com/Natural-/4644/i.html?Shape=Cushion&_nkw=PADPARADSCHA&_catref=1&_dmpt=Loose_Gemstones_1&_fln=1&_trksid=p4978.c0.m282
JSmith8,

You might want to consider a **Link removed by Moderator. No links to stores selling synthetic materials**

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 11:04:28 AM
Author: Harriet
Try: http://www.mc2jewels.com/email.php?item=_11_first.jpg
Just out of interest H, how much is the Mc² ring?

MC squared pad.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 11:29:44 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 3/2/2010 11:27:49 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Some spinels come in an orange-pink color, and they''re untreated, and much less expensive than their sapphire counterparts. Here''s a thread on a padparadscha colored spinel.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-pad-spinel-added-to-my-spinel-collection.39352/
Aren''t they as rare as rocking horse doo-doo?

Anyone seen one lately?
I just bought one. It''s AIGS certified as orangey-pink.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s my orangey-pink spinel. It''s 1.5 carats, and it has a small window, but it would close up in a setting.

It''s AIGS certified and completely natural in color. I also didn''t have to sell my car to buy it.

TLpad_spinel_pear.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I turned down a pair of pear cut orange pink spinels a few years ago, which I regret today as the pair is well saturated and the blending of colour is very even. I don’t think that they are that uncommon although a nice one will be.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,
I take it they weren''t very brown in color either. They sound yummy.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Thats you orangey-pink spinel, TL?? I like that color..very nice

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
here is an imperial topaz crystal I have thats an pinkish-orange color..hard to see in the pic but the base is more orange then it tapers towards the top to a more pinkish-orange color..a padparadscha topaz
9.gif

tt789h.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amguy,
Thank you. Yes that's my stone!! I love it. It also has pink UV fluor.

Brandy,
I agree, that MC.com one is incredibly overpriced.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
G, they mentioned a Pad in the mid-5 figures. I''m not sure if this is the one.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 1:08:19 PM
Author: Harriet
G, they mentioned a Pad in the mid-5 figures. I''m not sure if this is the one.
Mid 5 figures huh, wonder if I can get matching earrings to go with it!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 12:56:13 PM
Author: amethystguy
here is an imperial topaz crystal I have thats an pinkish-orange color..hard to see in the pic but the base is more orange then it tapers towards the top to a more pinkish-orange color..a padparadscha topaz
9.gif
Gorgeous colour Jason. But let''s not sell the OP on Imperial Topaz. If she thinks a pad is going to be expensive, she might have to part with a kidney to get an Imperial topaz!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
This probably isn''t what the OP is after, but you can influence the color of the stone with your choice of setting by a great deal. For instance, if you get a light orange stone and set it in a rose gold setting, it might (but there''s no guarantee) pick up the color of the metal to some degree and look quite a bit like a pad.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 2:35:22 PM
Author: ma re
This probably isn't what the OP is after, but you can influence the color of the stone with your choice of setting by a great deal. For instance, if you get a light orange stone and set it in a rose gold setting, it might (but there's no guarantee) pick up the color of the metal to some degree and look quite a bit like a pad.
Getting a decent light orange stone isn't that easy to do though, unless it has significant brown and/or yellow. The problem with so many "so-called" padparadschas and other orange or orange-pink stones, is that they suffer from a distinct brown modifier. Since padparadschas are supposed to be delicate in color and not super saturated, it is incredibly rare to find them without undesirable modifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results