shape
carat
color
clarity

Overcast days

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are certain gems I love to look at on overcast days. Here are some pics as I took my long walk this morning. The sky was white with cloud cover and it was a nice breezy day. My l1.5 carat lavender spinel is in the corner. Some people wanted more pics of that one. The one above is a blue tourmaline and the other two are my spessartites (like you couldn't guess - LOL!!).

TLovercast1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
emsmile.gif

TLovercast3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TLovercast2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two tourmalines - very different colors, but I love how they compliment each other.

TLovercasttourms2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same picture above but from further away. Thanks for looking.
2.gif

TLovercasttourmsfar.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super up close

TLovercastupclose.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I like this eye candy. Especially the closeups are just wonderful.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
that blue tourmaline is awesome TL, so is the spinel
1.gif
Well ok they''re all awesome!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh.
This just makes me happy.
1.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Hi TL!
35.gif

Such beautiful colors.....I have to take another look!
30.gif

Lori

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
So glad it was overcast! Thanks for indulging us with your gorgeous gemmy rings and gemstones!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful! I love the blue and lavendar stones so much with those metal colors. All the stones look great in their settings
36.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they are all so pretty
30.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Those tourmalines together are amazing! Lovely all!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hooray for overcast days! Those colors are gorgeous TL!

singingbell

Shiny_Rock
The word that immediately came to mind -- scrumptious!
30.gif
30.gif

You take great pictures, TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for looking and for the kind words. I had so much fun taking the pictures, and I''m so happy to share them with you. Hopefully, tomorrow will be another overcast day so I can take more photos of some other gems!!
31.gif

Here''s another close up in the deep shade in the forest I walk in.

TLindeepshade.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Does that pear spess look bad in any kind of light?
9.gif

Optics of gems is such a fascinating topic IMO and I love exploring how stones look in different lighting conditions. There is some good and some bad light for every gem and it''s interesting to see why is that so.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Add me to that list of fascination Ma-re
1.gif

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
those are gorgeous gems..I love those colors..beautiful

Meher

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/7/2009 3:11:49 AM
Author: ma re
Does that pear spess look bad in any kind of light?
9.gif

Optics of gems is such a fascinating topic IMO and I love exploring how stones look in different lighting conditions. There is some good and some bad light for every gem and it''s interesting to see why is that so.
No, it doesn''t look bad in any lighting, but the orange color explodes even more in certain lighting, like the setting sun. Most of the time though it looks like what you see in these pictures. I have a few stones like that, my rubellite, the new pink octagon tourmaline (above) and some of my cuprians for example, do not look bad in any lighting. However, the spinel above can look more greyish depending on the lighting (not overwhelmingly grey though), and the violet tourmaline above can take on a more greyish cast as well. I do try to find stones that hold their color in most lighting though. Some of my garnets are moody as well, in particular those in the red family.

Thanks Mr. Ma Rae!

Thanks again MariedTiger!

Thank you Meher Thakker!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I like your Spess. stones.

I also really really like the color of your Tourm and I also like spinels and love the setting it is in.

I''m glad I''m not the only one that enjoys cloudy weather for gemstone viewing. I just love all you photos. TFS!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2009 9:10:33 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

No, it doesn''t look bad in any lighting, but the orange color explodes even more in certain lighting, like the setting sun. Most of the time though it looks like what you see in these pictures. I have a few stones like that, my rubellite, the new pink octagon tourmaline (above) and some of my cuprians for example, do not look bad in any lighting.
I guess that''s why neon stones are pricey - their extreme color saturation (sometimes paired with fluorescence) makes it very hard to have them change color. Good quality rubelites and cuprians are great examples of such stones.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous photos TL, I''m getting a small lavender pink spinel, may I set it in rose gold!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks StoneHunter!

Mr. Ma Rae - I agree with you on that. It is also very difficult to find stones with high saturation of color, and when you do, $$$.

LovingGems - Thank you!! Yes, go set that spinel in pink gold. I have two lavender spinels, this one, and one I have yet to be set, and they both look best in rose gold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah…you should have warned me with stronger verbiage. My poor eyes are blinded by the intense colour.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono you're too funny, but thank you!! Talk about intense color, take a look at the pic of the mating dragonfly pair I took the other day. The orange-red color on it was awesome. It would be nice to have a gem that color!! No wonder dragonflies are such an inspiration for jewelry pieces.

TLdragonflies.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t realize you are allowed to post dragonfly p*rn pictures on PS.
31.gif

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Whoa, I had no idea the dragonfly mating involved so much stretching...

I love all your rings esp the spess and the yellow gold setting which makes the tourm pop.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I need sunglasses, the color intensity is blinding me!
9.gif
10.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results